• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: new firmware update available (Ver. 9.5.0-23)

I've got to admit that nintendo's region enforcement is starting to piss me off just slightly at this point. And browser patches are not even the tip of the iceberg.
The same exploit allowed hacked Pokemon and piracy of Pokemon Shuffle IAPs, so fixing those was probably more important to them than fixing region locking.

Are these firmware exploits being used for people to illegally play commercial games on their 3DS? Or do I have no reason to get upset whenever I see the issue brought up?

I loved the emulators that CFW brought to PSP, but at the same time I wish we will never have the rampant piracy that affected that particular handheld generation. (DS / PSP)

Okay, so I keep hearing about this "region-free" business...

Why should I be worried about this? What games would I want to play that are not available in, say, the North American (USZ) region?

What games should I have the chance to play that aren't available here?

If anyone has a link to a list or something, that would be great!

(Note: I cannot read or understand Japanese in any way, shape, or form, so Japan-only games I think are off the table...)

samn

Why should I be worried about this? What games would I want to play that are not available in, say, the North American (USZ) region?

(Note: I cannot read or understand Japanese in any way, shape, or form, so Japan-only games I think are off the table...)

I can't really think of any that fit that criteria. Usually it's Europe that skips the releases.

The only Japan only games that I know of that I'm interested in on the 3DS are:
Daigasso! Band Bros. P (a music / rhythm game from Nintendo where you can make your own music and download lots of songs)
Nazo Waku Yakata (a really weird game from Capcom that's probably not that good, but the trailer was really interesting...)
E.X. Troopers (a game from Capcom that's said to be like an anime version of Lost Planet. I loved the demo a lot. It's also on PS3, which is region free, so you may want to check it out there instead.)
Puyo Puyo Tertis (Puyo Pop x Tetris from SEGA, but it's also on PS3, PSV, PS4, and XB1, which are all region free)

It is worth noting there are probably more smaller games on the eShop which get skipped but since ReegionThree won't help there and I stopped looking as it was depressing I can't say either way.

Now for some light comic relief.
Wow Eurogamer. The ROM injection is now pirated ROMs (took them what, two articles to stop implying the hack downloads them for you...) so I guess to anyone who personally dumped ROMs yours won't work apparently :S Then again given the title says kills I think it is going for emotion because pirated ROMs gets the heart going more.

There was also the rather odd conclusion of; "For the moment at least, none of the above exploits are no longer working."; doesn't that mean they are working?
that is the kind mistake I make in my writing

The only Japan only games that I know of that I'm interested in on the 3DS are:
Daigasso! Band Bros. P (a music / rhythm game from Nintendo where you can make your own music and download lots of songs)
Nazo Waku Yakata (a really weird game from Capcom that's probably not that good, but the trailer was really interesting...)
E.X. Troopers (a game from Capcom that's said to be like an anime version of Lost Planet. I loved the demo a lot. It's also on PS3, which is region free, so you may want to check it out there instead.)
Puyo Puyo Tertis (Puyo Pop x Tetris from SEGA, but it's also on PS3, PSV, PS4, and XB1, which are all region free)

Thank you for the feedback! I'll take a look at these games! :)

Top Bottom