• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aims to Have First (Second) Movie Out in Next 2-3 Years

Which Nintendo franchise should be made into a film first?

Results are only viewable after voting.

EDarkness

I would love to see them get someone to do a real Samus movie. I think they could really do something with that franchise. Especially if they decide to make her an actual bounty hunter....

And yet soulless pieces of crap are generally much better business than allowing something as batshit insane as the Mario Bros. movie to happen again. It is perfectly OK for a film to be made for the express purpose of generating revenue and hopefully a profit: that's why 95% of films get made in the first place.

That might have been the business 5 or maybe 10 years ago but when people hear a movie is bad, it's going to fail. (Michael Bay notwithstanding)

We're all in agreement that Nausicaa is the perfect Zelda film, right?

This is a personal preference, but I would love it if a live action Zelda had the feel of "Legend", "The Labyrinth", "Dark Crystal", and all those old fantasy films. Their painted backgrounds and soundtracks gave off such a surreal, otherworldly feel to them.

Didn't Nintendo already make their own movie and movie studio? Not an IP movie, but prior to/around the time of the Pikmin Shorts I remember reading about Nintendo starting up it's own film division with 2-3 films in production. I didn't hear about it again for years until I saw that it was apparently a movie about fairies they distributed in Japan but never made it out of the country, and nothing else seemed to come from it.

Am I losing my mind?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
A Disaster: Day of Crisis movie would actually be cool though, especially if gigantic burgers and dumb frog costumes were included in the film.

Wonder if they're referring to the Pokemon live-action movie, though that's looking to be a case of TPC selling the rights to an existing studio.

If this is a 100% in-house production, I have low expectations.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Photo from the article of Mr. Kimishima:

tatsuphotokikwp.png

javac

Well minus everything they don't have in common, which is like everything, sure.

Well no shit, I didn't mean it's literally a Zelda film but it's how I'd expect a Zelda movie done right to feel like because it's clear that some people believe Nintendo IP to be impossible to adapt into film, when it's clearly not the case. From the music to the feel of the film both thematically and aesthetically it's what I envision a genuine atempt at a Zelda animated film to be like in the best case scenario.

Some people, I tell ya, just what to shoot you down at any chance they get T_T

Nanashrew

Banned
That might have been the business 5 or maybe 10 years ago but when people hear a movie is bad, it's going to fail. (Michael Bay notwithstanding)

The focus on scores has been awful to be honest. Hook was blasted hard by critics and has like a 36 on Rotten Tomato but it was loved by the audience and still has a following even now. There are at times where a movie is not made for the critics but a specific audience or fans.

Well no shit, I didn't mean it's literally a Zelda film but it's how I'd expect a Zelda movie done right to feel like because it's clear that some people believe Nintendo IP to be impossible to adapt into film, when it's clearly not the case. From the music to the feel of the film both thematically and aesthetically it's what I envision a genuine atempt at a Zelda animated film to be like in the best case scenario.

Some people, I tell ya, just what to shoot you down at any chance they get T_T
Legend with more action scenes is what I want a Legend of Zelda movie to be like.

Neff

Here's hoping they follow the quality and emotional sincerity of Disney's CG titles rather than the cringe-y, self-aware, record-scratch joke style of the lesser family CG movies out there.

I voted for Stunt Race FX.

The problem is none Nintendo's games would make good movies.

I'd never have said a theme park ride would have made a good movie, but the first Pirates was pretty damn good.

It's all in the script and the imagination.

The focus on scores has been awful to be honest. Hook was blasted hard by critics and has like a 36 on Rotten Tomato but it was loved by the audience and still has a following even now. There are at times where a movie is not made for the critics but a specific audience or fans.

I'm a big fan of Hook despite its obvious flaws, but that film coasted financially if not critically on the significant pedigree of the source material, cast, and its director despite a shitload of cinemagoers at the time saying it wasn't that great. I remember it being one of the least talked about films that year despite it being one of the biggest. Apparently Sony didn't make out too well on it either because they publicised the hell out of it and much of the merchandising fell flat.

by Steven Spielberg standards, Hook is probably one of his weaker movies.

Some of it is truly brilliant. Despite some lame-looking sets, a far too American collection of Lost Boys, and a Robin Williams who despite trying his damndest just can't capture eternal youth as Peter Pan should (in some alternate reality there's a version of Hook where Spielberg discovered Tom Hanks way earlier and it's almost perfect), the movie shines with Spielberg and Williams on top form. And Hoffman's casting is straight up genius.

Nia

Well, it begins. This could either be a dream come true, or a nightmare. If I have to guess, I think they'll start with a Mario movie, CG animated. Not as high risk as Zelda, and it could be a good chance to shake off the stigma of that one Mario movie and prove themselves. However Nintendo is an unpredictable beast. We will see which way it goes. I just don't want to see a Zelda movie any time soon. If they have any plans for it, they'd better treat it with the care it deserves and damn well make sure it's perfect.

Deadpool outgrossed Batman v Superman domestically practically by the good word of mouth of the former and bad word of mouth by the latter. Don't underestimate it.
Also by Steven Spielberg standards, Hook is probably one of his weaker movies.

Stunt Race FX
look at how much money shitty cars makes disney so go for the safe bet

then have the rock star in Disaster day of Crisis , it'll be huge

Nanashrew

Banned
Deadpool outgrossed Batman v Superman domestically practically by the good word of mouth of the former and bad word of mouth by the latter. Don't underestimate it.
Also by Steven Spielberg standards, Hook is probably one of his weaker movies.

I don't. I'm just saying that sometimes it can be different. Sometimes a movie can have bad reviews but good word of mouth because it's speaking to a specific audience. Sometimes it can be like BvS bad reviews and bad word of mouth.

Also, I really loved Hook :<

javac

This is a personal preference, but I would love it if a live action Zelda had the feel of "Legend", "The Labyrinth", "Dark Crystal", and all those old fantasy films. Their painted backgrounds and soundtracks gave off such a surreal, otherworldly feel to them.

I still wish for Ghibli to make a Zelda movie. It would be great.

Legend with more action scenes is what I want a Legend of Zelda movie to be like.

I'm surprised by the requests to see a Zelda film similar to something like Legend and The Labyrinth, both places my mind would have never went towards but both sound cool and interesting which is why I brought up Nausicaa in the first place, because it's clear that everyone has different ideas in-regards to how these films should be adapted and what they should look and feel like aesthetically and thematically. Animated like a Ghibli film, live action in the vein of the films mentioned above and even the ideas of puppetry has entered my mind as well as a mix of all three (animated and surreal for example).

I don't. I'm just saying that sometimes it can be different. Sometimes a movie can have bad reviews but good word of mouth because it's speaking to a specific audience. Sometimes it can be like BvS bad reviews and bad word of mouth.

Also, I really loved Hook :<

That's fine, but I'm talking about audience reaction than critical reviews. Although critical and general audience taste tend to line up far more often than not.

Kneefoil

Hotel Dusk belongs to Nintendo, doesn't it? That's a movie right there.

My first reaction was that of course it's going to be a Mario movie, but if they wanted to keep Charles Martinet and co. as the voices for all the characters, that IP might not be best suited for film.

Animal Crossing also came to mind, but they already did that. I'm sure they could do more with it, but would they would still have to retread some things from the film, so I'm not so sure they'd be very interested in that.

So, Splatoon? It's pretty big currently. I guess Pokémon movie not based on the existing anime series might be an option too, but I highly doubt it. Pikmin might also be interesting, but I don't think it's that popular.

R.D.Blax

If they make a Kirby movie, I hope they stay true to the games and make the last 10 minute of the movie to some nightmare inducing monster that will make children cry

javac

An animated DK movie could be legit awesome, ngl. The crew get split up and Diddy and Dixie swing through the jungle to find DK and meet a bunch of assholes along the way that they have to beat the shit out of. Some jungle book style singing along the way and you've got a heartwarming family film on your hands about family and bananas or some shit.

mkfred

Banned
It needs to be Metroid in live action. Not sure how id want zelda, but majority of their movies should be CGI or animated

Top Bottom