• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

L95

The more cartoonish characters seem to have come along well, too bad I wanted a good Marth figure the most. I'm not really surprised, though. Honestly, I found Marth's prototype to have issues in the first place, for a prototype, anyway.

The likes of Pikachu and Kirby (even if his eyes seem to be off center in one of the pictures...) look good. I'll just grab them in-store so I can see the paint jobs.

Exile20

Seems to me that the images are of the actual figures that were shown at E3. And those sure weren't renders.

I was actually very excited about these, a good set of Nintendo figures, with finally a decent looking Peach, AND an actual Princess Zelda figure instead of just a Link figure like we always seem to get.

I had 6 figures preordered on Amazon, but cancelled them all, even though Mario, Luigi and DK look ok. I really wanted to have a nice set, that includes Mario and Peach and Link and Zelda.

I wasn't even planning to use them in Smash, I just like nice looking figures and wanted some decent looking Nintendo ones for my collection.

I am so confused by people. Were people really expecting these $13 figures to be collectables?

If you want to collect Nintendo figures then go here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...igma+nintendo&rh=n:165793011,k:figma+nintendo

javac

Holy crap they're tiny. Samus is as tall as the width of your hand.

Maybe that's how big all these NFC-game figures are, but wow.

Y'all spend too much time with Figma's and shit :p The sizes of these are perfectly fine, on the bigger side even and was never a mystery since we saw Reggie holding the Mario one at E3. I know Reggie is a big guy but the size seems par for the course with NFC figures and such. I don't know what you was expecting, but I'd be interested to know what size was thought they were going to be?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Y'all spend too much time with Figma's and shit :p The sizes of these are perfectly fine, on the bigger side even and was never a mystery since we saw Reggie holding the Mario one at E3. I know Reggie is a big guy but the size seems par for the course with NFC figures and such. I don't know what you was expecting, but I'd be interested to know what size was thought they were going to be?

Something worth $15

javac

Something worth $15

I have no idea what size has to do with the cost. If they were microscopic? Sure that would be ridiculous. But these size-wise seem to be perfect for something that is intended to be plonked onto your gamepad and carried around to your friends house and given to kids. That's coming from a guy who never pre-ordered a single Amiibo, doesn't care for them but spends 100 of dollars on actual high quality figures from the likes of GSC, Max Factory, Alter etc of all types of scales and sizes and knows an actual high-quality figure when he sees one.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have no idea what size has to do with the cost. If they were microscopic? Sure that would be ridiculous. But these size-wise seem to be perfect for something that is intended to be plonked onto your gamepad and carried around to your friends house and given to kids. That's coming from a guy who never pre-ordered a single Amiibo, doesn't care for them but spends 100 of dollars on actual high quality figures from the likes of GSC, Max Factory, Alter etc of all types of scales and sizes and knows an actual high-quality figure when he sees one.

It's less to do with their quality, but their quality in relation to the price tag they are asking.

TI82

Banned
For $12 to $15 these are just very low quality. I've got a couple bandai figures that cost $12 with better detailing, paint, and stability.

So either Nintendo fucked up or hired a really shitty production plant.

javac

It's less to do with their quality, but their quality in relation to the price tag they are asking.

No doubt the quality on these is pretty poor and I know for a fact that the more simple designs will look better in comparison to the more intricate designs, I knew that would be the case from the get go. I just think size wise these seem to be perfect/fine. Some like DK and Pikachu actually seem to be hefty whereas the more humanoid figures are a lot more thinner and less meaty, but still fine size-wise for what they are...which is NFC figures designed to be placed on the 3DS/Gamepad and carried around.

NotLiquid

Hmm, I don't seem to see a Peach figure or a Zelda figure there. And I have Nendoroids that I got for free with LEs I have gotten that look better than these Amiibos.

Nice try at defending though.

Why wouldn't Nendos be higher quality than Amiibos? Kind of a weird comparison. They run at a $30-$40 price tag regularly and tend to be one of the more popular Goodsmile lines. I suppose if you refer to the Petite ones it's a whole other story, but those are usually just limited runs as bonus items and still pretty cheap considering what they're based on.

For $12 to $15 these are just very low quality. I've got a couple bandai figures that cost $12 with better detailing, paint, and stability.

So either Nintendo fucked up or hired a really shitty production plant.

What Bandai figures did you purchase? Because everything they usually sell goes for $40+, with the exception of the Mario figure, which is on sale right now at Amazon for $20 compared to $25 normally. You're not buying retail prices for Bandai figures for $12.

I got a Megaman Bandai figure a while back which has great detail, but it was also $60.

Some of y'all are crazy for expecting flawless collectables out of a mass production toy line for kids.

DVCY201

Hmm, I don't seem to see a Peach figure or a Zelda figure there. And I have Nendoroids that I got for free with LEs I have gotten that look better than these Amiibos.

Nice try at defending though.

This is a terrible comparison. Nendoroids are priced higher, quite popular too, and benefit from that cute art-style that helps reduce intricate details. You don't get them for "free" in LE, the price increase you pay is supposed to cover the Nendoroid.

This is a terrible comparison. Nendoroids are priced higher, quite popular too, and benefit from that cute art-style that helps reduce intricate details. You don't get them for "free" in LE, the price increase you pay is supposed to cover the Nendoroid.

51omrcgQ8tL.jpg

smash2.jpg

I honestly feel, even though a $50 Nendoroid is of better quality, some of the Amiibos aren't terrible for $13. The Mario Amiibo is excellent. But what do I know, people here believe all Amiibos look like they have less build quality than a Happy Meal toy.

I kept my Luigi pre-order because the Mario one is not a bad downgrade. Link one hurts considering the Fox stand is black. As another poster stated, it looks like Link is peeing.

Carlius

Banned
ya i seems to be the lighting only. ones professional the other isnt and half the non white background ones have blur

Lol the replies to Nintendo's recent tweet about Amiibos are all basically "show the real ones, not the display ones, you lie". It's ridiculous.

Apart from a couple of small details they look the same, it's all in the lighting, angles etc.

Joei

Except for Peach and Link they look pretty spot on. There's a slight difference in color but I suspect that has to do with the different lighting in the photos.

Seems like a bit of overreaction to me.

People here over-reacting to something?? I don't think that's ever happened before.

Rocky

Banned

Uh, my Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CE, came with 4 Nendoroids (maybe not genuine Nendoroids), but the price was about $100. It came with other stuff too. So if they were 30-40 dollars per figure, it should have sold for well over $200 then.

Jagsrock

Banned
For me the biggest overall downgrade is definitely Marth with link looking slightly better. Peach to me is serviable but obviously still lacking that extra facial detail. My advice would be to pick up the more cartoony characters now as they still look pretty good and hope that maybe they will slightly revise some of the other models in future shipments (I realize this is unlikely but still.)

Uh, my Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CE, came with 4 Nendoroids (maybe not genuine Nendoroids), but the price was about $100. It came with other stuff too. So if they were 30-40 dollars per figure, it should have sold for well over $200 then.

Those aren't even real Nendoroids. They're knock offs and more inline with the Nendoroids Petit line, which are still $25 figures.

Either way, still a terrible comparison.

Lol the replies to Nintendo's recent tweet about Amiibos are all basically "show the real ones, not the display ones, you lie". It's ridiculous.

Apart from a couple of small details they look the same, it's all in the lighting, angles etc.

The stand itself is a big turn-off already. Add the size of some elements (like The Villager's eyes), and the fact that some elements basically disappeared...

LeleSocho

Banned
LOL
what a good behiaviour to steal the meaning of other people's opinion, wow.
congrats.

the human realistic ones (but not WFT, imho) clearly are not so good looking, but I really think (poor me, right?) that others are very good for being 12/15$ figures.

but if this is ugly for you, I respect your opinion. I just wonder if you took a look just to yesterday's pics, or also to the other ones, way better, posted today.

lolwut? One thing is liking them even after this (drastic) change and one other thing is defending this or saying that they almost look the same.

You like them? Good go ahead and buy them but don't even try to talk shit about people who point out the obvious differences... Do people need to circle the differences in red to put an end to this farce?

Can anyone think of a genuine reason for Link's stand not being clear? Is it less expensive to make it coloured? It doesn't make sense, especially since the Villager has clear plastic.

Mario, Kirby, and Pikachu look fine to me. I don't like how Yoshi has even more pieces that look like the detach.

jts

...hate me...
lolwut? One thing is liking them even after this (drastic) change and one other thing is defending this or saying that they almost look the same.

You like them? Good go ahead and buy them but don't even try to talk shit about people who point out the obvious differences... Do people need to circle the differences in red to put an end to this farce?
Circle the differences in red for all the models that didn't change at all, which are most of them.

Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Fox

etc

I'll be waiting.

LeleSocho

Banned
Circle the differences in red for all the models that didn't change at all, which are most of them.

Mario
Kirby
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Fox

etc

I'll be waiting.

Didn't change at all ≠ changed less
And even then why only choose those? The argument involves all amiibos not only selected ones. Why people say that Marth, Link, Peach, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer look identical?
Can't they see the hands literally fusing with other parts of the figure?
Can't they see the weird as fuck facestamps?
Can't they see the total different kind of paint they used?
Can't they see that the stamps for the figures are different?
They all have totally fucked up eyes? I don't think so, there's obviously a willing to defend this and it's no good.

Again there is absolutely nothing wrong in liking them and wanting to buying them but there is also absolutely no doubt that they are different from what they shown at first.

P.S. Rapidly from what i can see even the one you mentioned have pretty obvious differences differences like Mario and the less detailed fireball, Fox and the less evident fur engraves (maybe because of the amount of paint), Pikachu and its weird outlining between its feet (the photo of this are in this thread)
...and fucking up the likes of Kirby and Pikachu it's hard since they are essentially monocolor blobs that only need a stamp for the face.

Realyn

Great post ... ?

Exile20

Dude you can't be serious. I bought my wind waker HD le for $60 so that means that the figurine cost $10?

You can't be serious. These are pack ins not stand alone products.

Plus you are forgetting the NFC and memory built in.

Here is the really funny thing about the collectors editions. They have much lower production runs so world cost a lot more to make.

Plus you are forgetting the NFC and memory built in.
NFC chips are a highly variable cost. Until we know exactly which is one is in there is it hard to tell (but most are <$1). Also there might be chip variances with figures (as some are going to be compatible with way less games so have no need for as much memory).

If we find out Marth has the same memory as Mario, I'll scream as putting a smaller chip might have made the Marth figure somewhat better quality.

The Amiiboo are not as bad as we thought

Donkey Kong - looks good and has some heft to him, which is appropriate considering his size.

Fox - looks great, with the details on his equipment and clothes really coming through.

Kirby - is one of the best-looking figures in the first wave, hands down.

Mario - looks good, which is fortunate considering he's Nintendo's main man

Marth - Easily the worst-looking figurine in the first wave of amiibo, Marth's sword is flimsy and his face makes him look like a cheap knockoff rather than an official product.

Peach - didn't turn out looking so good, with a cheap-looking details on her dress and a face that comes across as anything but authentic.

Pikachu - looks fantastic as a figurine and is one of the best in the first wave.

Metroid - Neither the best nor the worst in the first wave, Samus simply looks pretty good and her Power Suit is surprisingly faithful to its in-game appearances.

Villager - seems like he should have been an easier one to get right, but the differently-sized irises really throw the whole thing off.

Wii Fit Trainer - herself looks good, but the cast-like piece of plastic around her standing leg brings the whole thing down a little.

The Amiiboo are not as bad as we thought

Donkey Kong - looks good and has some heft to him, which is appropriate considering his size.

Fox - looks great, with the details on his equipment and clothes really coming through.

Kirby - is one of the best-looking figures in the first wave, hands down.

Mario - looks good, which is fortunate considering he's Nintendo's main man

Marth - Easily the worst-looking figurine in the first wave of amiibo, Marth's sword is flimsy and his face makes him look like a cheap knockoff rather than an official product.

Peach - didn't turn out looking so good, with a cheap-looking details on her dress and a face that comes across as anything but authentic.

Pikachu - looks fantastic as a figurine and is one of the best in the first wave.

Metroid - Neither the best nor the worst in the first wave, Samus simply looks pretty good and her Power Suit is surprisingly faithful to its in-game appearances.

Villager - seems like he should have been an easier one to get right, but the differently-sized irises really throw the whole thing off.

Wii Fit Trainer - herself looks good, but the cast-like piece of plastic around her standing leg brings the whole thing down a little.

Looks like you read the same thing I did ? Some website's impressions

Peach and marth still look disappointing but I'm pleased with the looks of the rest. I'll probably get a couple.

Top Bottom