• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

Flandy

Wow, where are you getting MK8 for $37??

It's $72 total here in Canada, and I cant afford it, even though I bought a WiiU to play it with friends over the summer lol.

Deal is over but this is what I did
  1. Trade in my copy of MK8 to Target (2x trade ins = $40)
  2. Took MK8 up front to price match Amazon price of $48
  3. Pre-ordered a random game for $1 which I have no obligation to pick up got me another $15 off (was a promotion going on last week)
  4. Pay about $37 (including tax) with the $40 gift card I got earlier
  5. Repeat

AdanVC

Andddd the Club Nintendo website is down. Last 2 days of the promotion so all the people (myself included) who left this to the last minute are registering the game and exploding the servers haha. Sighh.

Deal is over but this is what I did
  1. Trade in my copy of MK8 to Target (2x trade ins = $40)
  2. Took MK8 up front to price match Amazon price of $48
  3. Pre-ordered a random game for $1 which I have no obligation to pick up got me another $15 off (was a promotion going on last week)
  4. Pay about $37 (including tax) with the $40 gift card I got earlier
  5. Repeat

you magnificent man! Ill have to cross my fingers for a cheap MK8 deal.

Flandy

you magnificent man! Ill have to cross my fingers for a cheap MK8 deal.

I hadn't planned on doing it but I checked the trade in value for my month old copy of MK8 and I realized I could do what I did :lol Only got 3 of the games though since I was too lazy to do it a 4th time for Wii Party U

Andddd the Club Nintendo website is down. Last 2 days of the promotion so all the people (myself included) who left this to the last minute are registering the game and exploding the servers haha. Sighh.

I literally ordered a Wii U today. Got MK8 with 1 day shipping so I can get the extra game...shit

Sorry, was confused, you said to buy it from a local store and keep the receipt so I can return it later. But if I'm using that one as the code, I have to open it to get the code and won't get a refund for it. :(
What he's advising you to do, unless I got something terribly wrong, is to keep the one from Amazon unopened and return it to your local store with the receipt you kept from them. You keep the MK8 you bought from the store, use the code from it, give the Amazon game to your local store, and don't return anything to Amazon. This way you get the game earlier but for Amazon's price.

Rich!

Sorry, was confused, you said to buy it from a local store and keep the receipt so I can return it later. But if I'm using that one as the code, I have to open it to get the code and won't get a refund for it. :(

Hahaha

Oh man. Just think it through. Why would I advise you to buy a copy from the store just to return it when your amazon copy arrives? No. You return your amazon copy to thé store for the refund.

Hahaha

Oh man. Just think it through. Why would I advise you to buy a copy from the store just to return it when your amazon copy arrives? No. You return your amazon copy to thé store for the refund.

lol, that's what I thought bro but I figured it would have a different barcode or item number since it came from Amazon and they would have problems giving me a refund for it.

Rich!

lol, that's what I thought bro but I figured it would have a different barcode or item number since it came from Amazon and they would have problems giving me a refund for it.

No. It would have the same barcode unless it was a different region or SKU

Dambrosi

Banned
No no nooooooooo

Forget "family members". Afaik it does NOT exist outside of America! (I assume you are in EU)

Just sign out of club Nintendo, then redeem a code. Once you finish the survey, it'll ask for you to set up an account. Use a different email to your main club Nintendo account and go through the signup process. Once done, reload the club Nintendo homepage and select your free game. Redeem that code on your Wii U. Done. No fucking around, especially when we have only three days left.
That's what I ended up doing, thanks for the info.

Now, which one - MonHun or Wind Waker? Leaning towards MonHun myself, but I rarely play online. But I also played Wind Waker on Gamecube when it came out, so...

Rich!

That's what I ended up doing, thanks for the info.

Now, which one - MonHun or Wind Waker? Leaning towards MonHun myself, but I rarely play online. But I also played Wind Waker on Gamecube when it came out, so...

wind waker is worth revisiting. especially in HD with the various improvements (widescreen, swift sail, better triforce hunt etc)

never played monster hunter.

Dambrosi

Banned
wind waker is worth revisiting. especially in HD with the various improvements (widescreen, swift sail, better triforce hunt etc)

never played monster hunter.
Okay, I got Wind Waker HD in the end, since Zelda U is a ways off, Hyrule Warriors just isn't the same, and MonHun 4 is coming soon, and I may as well just get that when it comes out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Rich!

Okay, I got Wind Waker HD in the end, since Zelda U is a ways off, Hyrule Warriors just isn't the same, and MonHun 4 is coming soon, and I may as well just get that when it comes out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Just remember, as soon as you can, get 300 rupees and go to the auction house on windfall island at night to buy the swift sail

Double the speed, and no more wind direction changing!

Ooooh, nice. Ta for that.

Pray you get good RNG on the sail appearing. I was going in and backing out of auctions for more than 40 minutes before I threw up my arms and bought goddamn everything except for the joy pendant before the sail appeared.

Games hate me.

rav

Yeah, I just got my copy of MK8 delivered today. Was sad to see it is down. Any idea if it will come back before the end of the promotion?

I don't actually have a Wii U yet. I want to get one of those refurbished ones running for $200. Can I just run to the store and grab Mario Kart 8 and register it, or do I need to link my Wii U first?

bronk

Banned
I don't actually have a Wii U yet. I want to get one of those refurbished ones running for $200. Can I just run to the store and grab Mario Kart 8 and register it, or do I need to link my Wii U first?
You can go grab Mario Kart and register it. I have my extra game code waiting as I dont have a wii u yet.

antibolo

Banned
Only one day left for the promo and I still haven't bought the game.

Can anyone bring me compelling arguments for getting MK8?

I like Mario Kart in general but I can't help but not really caring about this new one, doesn't feel like it brings anything genuinely new to the formula. And I don't bring over friends over to the house often enough to justify getting it only for party purposes. And none of my friends have Wii Us so online multiplayer is a moot point as well.

The only free game in the promo I don't already own is Wii Party U, so I don't really care about it, but if I change my mind later I'll be annoyed that I missed out on a free game, so I better make my decision now: either buy MK8 today, or never.

JDSN

Banned

I like Mario Kart in general but I can't help but not really caring about this new one, doesn't feel like it brings anything genuinely new to the formula. And I don't bring over friends over to the house often enough to justify getting it only for party purposes. And none of my friends have Wii Us so online multiplayer is a moot point as well.

The only free game in the promo I don't already own is Wii Party U, so I don't really care about it, but if I change my mind later I'll be annoyed that I missed out on a free game, so I better make my decision now: either buy MK8 today, or never.

I wouldnt get it if I was you, I played it the game at a preview event and I liked the vertical track design and free Pikmin 3 pushed me over the edge. I doubt you will regret not getting Wii Party for free.

If you don't have anyone to play with locally and you really couldn't give less of a shit about online then I suggest you don't bother. Online is really what 8 has going for it gameplay-wise, and the only other argument I could really make is that it's Mario Kart in HD.

Jaagen

Bought MK today, registered the code and it states that I have to redeem my game before the end of september. Bummer, as I didn't plan on gettting a Wii U until the inevitable Smash Bros Bundle.

Shun

Get it now, get your free game. Give it a chance, you don't like it sell it.

antibolo

Banned
Bought MK today, registered the code and it states that I have to redeem my game before the end of september. Bummer, as I didn't plan on gettting a Wii U until the inevitable Smash Bros Bundle.

I don't think it's "inevitable", there is no prior art of Nintendo ever bundling a Smash Bros. with a console.

SCReuter

Will I still be able to redeem the North American code tomorrow (July 31), or do I have to do it tonight before it hits 12:00 AM (in two hours)?

Edit: I already own the four games offered in the promotion. I'm trying to decide if I should trade the code for Shovel Knight or not.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I got the Deluxe Bundle a couple months back, but I've told that all I needed to do was link the system and I'd be able to download a game.

Well, I created a Club ID tonight and then linked my system, but it's still not showing up in my To-Do list. The first post says something about it happening 48 hours later with the game code, so does that mean it'll show up in two days on my end?

Jaagen

I don't think it's "inevitable", there is no prior art of Nintendo ever bundling a Smash Bros. with a console.

Well, Nintendo is in a position that it needs to sell consoles so I think there will be a Smash Bros bundle.

Anyway, I need to get my console before the 30th of september in order to claim my free Pikmin 3. Too bad the Premium Model isn't white.

FryHole

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I got the Deluxe Bundle a couple months back, but I've told that all I needed to do was link the system and I'd be able to download a game.

Well, I created a Club ID tonight and then linked my system, but it's still not showing up in my To-Do list. The first post says something about it happening 48 hours later with the game code, so does that mean it'll show up in two days on my end?

Have you registered MK8 itself with Club Nintendo? The bundle comes with a physical game, doesn't it? You should have a code inside the game box to register with CN.

Call Nintendo

Okay, good news: I logged in just now and it asked me to choose a reward.

Bad news: "We are currently performing site maintenance."

I'll try again tomorrow, but since I have it I should be good.

Okay, good news: I logged in just now and it asked me to choose a reward.

Bad news: "We are currently performing site maintenance."

I'll try again tomorrow, but since I have it I should be good.

Just to confirm, we get until end of August to select and download the game, right?

Got my first game out of two from the JP promotion. Pikmin 3. Got a month to finish it or cough up 3694 yen (~27€) to keep it.

After that I'm gonna try Wonderful 101 and do the same thing.

PigzFly

Hey guys, quick question: I'm from Australia and registered MK8 back on the 31st of May, but I've never received any notification to select one of the free games. The Australian Club Nintendo is a total shit show here, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem on Nintendo's part. Any ideas?

Hey guys, quick question: I'm from Australia and registered MK8 back on the 31st of May, but I've never received any notification to select one of the free games. The Australian Club Nintendo is a total shit show here, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem on Nintendo's part. Any ideas?
Was it the eShop version? You had to also register the code that appeared on the eShop receipt was well for some stupid reason.

At this point all you can do is phone them. Should have bought up the problem sooner...

PigzFly

Was it the eShop version? You had to also register the code that appeared on the eShop receipt was well for some stupid reason.

At this point all you can do is phone them. Should have bought up the problem sooner...

Yeah it was the eShop version. Oh well, I'm not too bothered. Not particularly interested in any of the free games that I didn't already own. Thanks for the response though :)

Heads up, you have until 8/31 to select your free game if you haven't already

Dear Club Nintendo Member,

Thank you for registering the Mario Kart™ 8 game. We are writing to remind you that you have earned a free download code from Club Nintendo for one of these four great games: New Super Mario Bros.™ U, Pikmin™ 3, The Legend of Zelda™: The Wind Waker HD, or Wii Party™ U.

To redeem your free game, sign in to your Club Nintendo account and select “Mario Kart 8 Offer” from your To-Do list.

The activation code expires August 31, so hurry!

Top Bottom