• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

Flandy

Traded in my old copy of MK8 at Target for $40 and snagged another copy for $37. Going to redeem a 3rd MK8 code. I really hope Nintendo senpai doesn't notice me ._.

Traded in my old copy of MK8 at Target for $40 and snagged another copy for $37. Going to redeem a 3rd MK8 code. I really hope Nintendo senpai doesn't notice me ._.

Can't you only redeem one game (physical and digital copies are separate) per Club Nintendo account or are you creating dummy accounts to redeem codes?

I got my copy for $37 from Target last time they did the $15 off with $1 card sale. I planned to return it (didn't need it prefer Sonic Racing Transformed) until Saturday when I saw I could get $39 for it used at Best Buy. Opened it up and played all day Saturday then traded it in at BBY and got Pokemon X and Link Between Worlds.

Edit:

I caved and ordered a Mario/Luigi bundle and I'm getting Mario Kart on the eshop. Is there anything I need to know? I remember some people missing out on a similar promotion for the 3ds last year but I can't remember what they did wrong. I already have a club Nintendo account thanks to the 3ds, I'm assuming I can use it for the WiiU as well, provided I can remember the password?

You just have to link your Club Nintendo Account to the Wii U Eshop like you did with your 3DS. Considering you already have a Nintendo 3DS you probably have a Nintendo Network ID. You can put the same one on the Wii U and Link them. Your Eshop balance will then be shared and purchases for either since come out of the same balance.

I don't know if it automatically links the Wii U to your Club Nintendo account as both my 3DS and Wii U had already been separately linked to my Club Nintendo account.

It'll definitely prompt you if you want to link the Club Nintendo account at some point. You can check on it by going to the Eshop on Wii U and clicking on your profile on the side bar and then click settings.

Flandy

Can't you only redeem one game (physical and digital copies are separate) per Club Nintendo account or are you creating dummy accounts to redeem codes?

I got my copy for $37 from Target last time they did the $15 off with $1 card sale. I planned to return it (didn't need it prefer Sonic Racing Transformed) until Saturday when I saw I could get $39 for it used at Best Buy. Opened it up and played all day Saturday then traded it in at BBY and got Pokemon X and Link Between Worlds.

Adding family accounts lets you redeem more. Your main account still gets the Club nintendo coins too :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have a question/dilemma and am hoping some of you Nintendo account-savvy folks can educate me on this stuff, because it's still new and convoluted to me. Sorry for the lengthy post; just want to explain everything...

Last month I bought a download code from this promo for Wind Waker on eBay (not the MK8 CN PIN) from a reputable seller and redeemed it in the eShop without a problem. The other day I randomly checked my eShop account history and noticed an entry for Wind Waker under the heading TITLE DELETED with a date (a couple of weeks after I redeemed the code). When I try to play the game now, I get the message "The NNID used to purchase this software has been deleted" and it directs me either to the eShop to re-buy it, or to the data management menu to delete the files.

So, this obviously sucks. I've contacted the seller and he seems like he's going to try to help, but I'm not quite sure what he can do outside of just giving me another code; it doesn't seem like people have much luck in getting NNIDs restored. That said, I have a few questions, so I can figure out what's gonna to go into getting this hopefully resolved:

Why would someone need to delete an NNID? Can't you just remove accounts from a 3DS/Wii U and not need to nuke them from orbit entirely?

Why would a NNID be linked to the Wind Waker code that I got anyway? I assumed that the way people are selling these codes en masse is by making multiple Club Nintendo accounts, registering an MK8 PIN to each one and then generating a download code for one of the games. What part would a NNID play in this at all? The only thing I can think of is that the code I got was generated from a digital download of MK8, and the NNID used to purchase it was since deleted for whatever reason.

Thanks for any wisdom you guys can provide. At least I discovered that this happened before the promo ends; I wasn't planning on playing WW anytime soon, eek.

tmarques

I have a question/dilemma and am hoping some of you Nintendo account-savvy folks can educate me on this stuff, because it's still new and convoluted to me. Sorry for the lengthy post; just want to explain everything...

Last month I bought a download code from this promo for Wind Waker on eBay (not the MK8 CN PIN) from a reputable seller and redeemed it in the eShop without a problem. The other day I randomly checked my eShop account history and noticed an entry for Wind Waker under the heading TITLE DELETED with a date (a couple of weeks after I redeemed the code). When I try to play the game now, I get the message "The NNID used to purchase this software has been deleted" and it directs me either to the eShop to re-buy it, or to the data management menu to delete the files.

So, this obviously sucks. I've contacted the seller and he seems like he's going to try to help, but I'm not quite sure what he can do outside of just giving me another code; it doesn't seem like people have much luck in getting NNIDs restored. That said, I have a few questions, so I can figure out what's gonna to go into getting this hopefully resolved:

Why would someone need to delete an NNID? Can't you just remove accounts from a 3DS/Wii U and not need to nuke them from orbit entirely?

Why would a NNID be linked to the Wind Waker code that I got anyway? I assumed that the way people are selling these codes en masse is by making multiple Club Nintendo accounts, registering an MK8 PIN to each one and then generating a download code for one of the games. What part would a NNID play in this at all? The only thing I can think of is that the code I got was generated from a digital download of MK8, and the NNID used to purchase it was since deleted for whatever reason.

Thanks for any wisdom you guys can provide. At least I discovered that this happened before the promo ends; I wasn't planning on playing WW anytime soon, eek.

Yikes. There was a thread about someone who deleted their NNID not long ago by mistake, when he only meant to unlink it or whatever it's called. Your seller probably wanted to wipe the console clean before selling it and didn't realise it would make your game useless. I guess your only chance is if he's willing to pester Nintendo to reinstate his account.

I know the Nintendo apologists say it's the user's fault for not reading the on-screen instructions but not in a million years would I imagine games redeemed on a different console could be wiped out like that, especially since this makes no sense and benefits no one. Why even give people a code that can be redeemed elsewhere instead of automatically adding the game to the console that made the purchase? And you'd think Nintendo would want to ENCOURAGE people to buy codes and gift them to friends. Guess not.

In any case, it's the sellers responsibility to sort this out or refund you. If he doesn't you could always get him in trouble with ebay, since you're not supposed to sell digital codes there.

Edit: In fact, I'd open a dispute with Paypal right away if you still have time. I understand he wasn't being dishonest, but it's still his responsibility. Dealing with costumer support can be taxing and it's doubtful he'll put enough effort into it when he already has your money.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yikes. There was a thread about someone who deleted their NNID not long ago by mistake, when he only meant to unlink it or whatever it's called. Your seller probably wanted to wipe the console clean before selling it and didn't realise it would make your game useless. I guess your only chance is if he's willing to pester Nintendo to reinstate his account.

I know the Nintendo apologists say it's the user's fault for not reading the on-screen instructions but not in a million years would I imagine games redeemed on a different console could be wiped out like that, especially since this makes no sense and benefits no one. Why even give people a code that can be redeemed elsewhere instead of automatically adding the game to the console that made the purchase? And you'd think Nintendo would want to ENCOURAGE people to buy codes and gift them to friends. Guess not.

In any case, it's the sellers responsibility to solve this or refund you. If he doesn't you could always get him in trouble with ebay, since you're not supposed to sell digital codes there.
Yeah, I scoured the web for an example of this happening to anyone else, and I couldn't find anything. I do genuinely think it was a weird mistake on the seller's part, and/or he just didn't expect that deleting an account would remove the license for the free game. This whole accounts thing with Nintendo is such a mess.

I even considered calling Nintendo and making something up about the game being a gift and seeing if they'd generate a new code for me out of pity, haha. Worst case scenario, I'll just do what Flandy did above and get another cheap MK8 copy from Target and redeem the code on a new Club Nintendo account (I didn't really want to make my own a family account and all that).

In any case, it's the sellers responsibility to sort this out or refund you. If he doesn't you could always get him in trouble with ebay, since you're not supposed to sell digital codes there.

Edit: In fact, I'd open a dispute with Paypal right away if you still have time. I understand he wasn't being dishonest, but it's still his responsibility. Dealing with costumer support can be taxing and it's doubtful he'll put enough effort into it when he already has your money.

Wait. So I own all the bonus MK8 games. You're saying if the person I got the other codes from unlinks their NNID then it'll affect my games on my system even though they've already been downloaded and what not?

vatstep

Wait. So I own all the bonus MK8 games. You're saying if the person I got the other codes from unlinks their NNID then it'll affect my games on my system even though they've already been downloaded and what not?
Only if the NNID is DELETED, I think? And I don't think there is any reason or need for anyone to do that; I don't understand why Nintendo even makes it an option for the end user. Deleting a user account (which I believe is the same as unlinking) from a 3DS/Wii U keeps the NNID and all purchases intact, according to the notes here:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1088/p/431

eggwolio

Registering a game on Club Nintendo does not require a NNID. When you redeem a download code, you are purchasing it from YOUR NNID. No deletion of an ID from a third party should affect that. The only way Mario Kart 8 would be at all linked to anyone's NNID is if it was purchased digitally.

vatstep

The only way Mario Kart 8 would be at all linked to anyone's NNID is if it was purchased digitally.
I figured this was the case; thanks for confirming. I guess, in the case of this promotion, when the NNID was deleted for whatever reason, the license for the original download (MK8) was revoked, and the free game it earned (my copy of Wind Waker) was as well. :(

eggwolio

I figured this was the case; thanks for confirming. I guess, in the case of this promotion, when the NNID was deleted for whatever reason, the license for the original download (MK8) was revoked, and the free game it earned (my copy of Wind Waker) was as well. :(

Don't take my post as gospel or any sort of official confirmation, I was merely speculating. My line of thought seems pretty logical, but we're still dealing with Nintendo here. Logic is something Nintendon't got.

I notice this was already answered in sorts but anyway.
The other day I randomly checked my eShop account history and noticed an entry for Wind Waker under the heading TITLE DELETED with a date (a couple of weeks after I redeemed the code). When I try to play the game now, I get the message "The NNID used to purchase this software has been deleted" and it directs me either to the eShop to re-buy it, or to the data management menu to delete the files.

etc.
The NNID part is very confusing in all of this especially given you can get the promo code without needing an NNID at all.

One person in Europe has had games revoked but given it is only one incident it is possible their seller scammed them* (sell code, contact NOE saying code was used, please sir can I have some more, NOE can see where code was used and revoke download issued to code). In this case you are in contact with the seller which makes me wonder if they bought MK8 on the eShop as that would need an NNID and their NNID deletion system deletes everything associated with that, including your wind Waker code. So try to find out from your seller:
A) Did they buy an eShop version of MK8
B) Did they delete their NNID?
Then the seller will have to contact Nintendo and explain how they gave away their copy of WWHD to a friend (terms here in Europe say the codes can be used on any Wii U, I can't imagine US ones being too different) and you will have to contact Nintendo and say how you got the code as a gift (maybe because they were getting rid of their Wii U so did not need it).

The NNID message might also be a generic message and mistake.

*-It could also be that they used the promo 5 times and NOE decided to draw a line (they had 2 games revoked).

vatstep

I notice this was already answered in sorts but anyway.

The NNID part is very confusing in all of this especially given you can get the promo code without needing an NNID at all.

One person in Europe has had games revoked but given it is only one incident it is possible their seller scammed them* (sell code, contact NOE saying code was used, please sir can I have some more, NOE can see where code was used and revoke download issued to code). In this case you are in contact with the seller which makes me wonder if they bought MK8 on the eShop as that would need an NNID and their NNID deletion system deletes everything associated with that, including your wind Waker code. So try to find out from your seller:
A) Did they buy an eShop version of MK8
B) Did they delete their NNID?
Then the seller will have to contact Nintendo and explain how they gave away their copy of WWHD to a friend (terms here in Europe say the codes can be used on any Wii U, I can't imagine US ones being too different) and you will have to contact Nintendo and say how you got the code as a gift (maybe because they were getting rid of their Wii U so did not need it).

The NNID message might also be a generic message and mistake.

*-It could also be that they used the promo 5 times and NOE decided to draw a line (they had 2 games revoked).
Thanks; I took your advice and asked those questions to the seller. Let's see what happens next...

Also, the FAQ for the promotion says this:

Do I have to download the free game to the system registered to my Club Nintendo account?
No. The download code can be redeemed in the Nintendo eShop of any Wii U system.
So "gifting" is not completely out of the question. I'll try calling Nintendo later after I hear from the seller.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
None of the NA games were appealing since I own the disc versions already, outside of Wii Play U, which I will never touch.

Decided on NSMBU for convenience, only to realize the savefile won't transfer from my disc copy to digital, so I can't continue my game progress...should have just given my code away. :/

Rich!

Best promotion ever!

I had already redeemed Wind Waker as my free game. I've sold my copy of Mario Kart 8 for £29.99, bought a new one from shopto for £34, and I've got a new code, another free game (NSMBU) and an extra £5 of digital promotion credit

Thanks Nintendo

Dambrosi

Banned
Best promotion ever!

I had already redeemed Wind Waker as my free game. I've sold my copy of Mario Kart 8 for £29.99, bought a new one from shopto for £34, and I've got a new code, another free game (NSMBU) and an extra £5 of digital promotion credit

Thanks Nintendo
That's a GOOD idea. I'll try something like that, thanks. Or is it easier to just buy them off eBay?

One thing, though - how does redeeming multiple codes work on a Wii U? I can't decide between MonHun, WWHD and W101, and would quite like all 3, thanks.

I'm having trouble redeeming my Pikmin 3 gift. It keeps erroring out on their end

Plus Mario Kart 8 arrived today and my Wii U doesn't get here until Monday, which is just torture

Redeemed for some Pikmins. Took ClubNintendo's site a while to figure out what to do (kept prompting me "hey you got a free game" while giving me nothing to do on the game page), but eventually it sorted itself out.

Now waiting for the neverending download to finish.

Is the One Piece game any good?

RM8

I still have my code and I'm not going to use it. Anyone interested? I'd take a GOG or Steam game in exchange.

eggwolio

That's a GOOD idea. I'll try something like that, thanks. Or is it easier to just buy them off eBay?

One thing, though - how does redeeming multiple codes work on a Wii U? I can't decide between MonHun, WWHD and W101, and would quite like all 3, thanks.
I would assume that European club Nintendo works similar to the US, but can't say that's definitely true. I purchased three physical copies(on sale) and traded them in(broke even), and then purchased it digitally as well. You'll need to setup a family account and register each game as a different family member.

vatstep

Take it from me; only buy a code from eBay if it's an MK8 Club Nintendo code, which you then redeem to a dummy account or your own family account (this is perfectly valid, according to Nintendo). If you buy an eShop download code for one of the games, and something ever happens to the account of the person who generated it, your game will be vaporized. :|

Rich!

I would assume that European club Nintendo works similar to the US, but can't say that's definitely true. I purchased three physical copies(on sale) and traded them in(broke even), and then purchased it digitally as well. You'll need to setup a family account and register each game as a different family member.

No. You don't need to do that lol

1. Buy Mario Kart 8.

2. Redeem code on Club Nintendo UK site using a new account (set up a new hotmail account or something)

3. Receive free game code. Go onto your Wii U and then redeem on the eshop.

4. Sell game, start over.

So yeah. You don't need to touch the Wii U at all, no fucking around with family accounts. At least not in the UK.

eggwolio

No. You don't need to do that lol

1. Buy Mario Kart 8.

2. Redeem code on Club Nintendo UK site using a new account (set up a new hotmail account or something)

3. Receive free game code. Go onto your Wii U and then redeem on the eshop.

4. Sell game, start over.

So yeah. You don't need to touch the Wii U at all, no fucking around with family accounts. At least not in the UK.

The family account is on Club Nintendo. If you register each of your games to a different member of the same family, you get all the coins for each of them. Or stars I think is what you use over there.

Dambrosi

Banned
The family account is on Club Nintendo. If you register each of your games to a different member of the same family, you get all the coins for each of them. Or stars I think is what you use over there.
Yes, but how do I add new "family members"? I can't find any info on it.

trixx

Already had all the games except wii party u, pick it up and it's actually really fun, Much better than game and wario.

Pikmin 3 still the best though

Exuro

Is NSMB U that bad? I'm considering either that or Pikmin 3. It's a shame that we Americans can't get W101.
W101 is only like $26 so unless you really want it digitally and don't want Pikmin 3/NSMBU it wouldn't be a wise choice.

Not sure where you're getting NSMBU being bad, It's the best in the series imo. If you enjoy platformers it's a pretty good choice. I personally got Pikmin 3 and absolutely love it.

eggwolio

Is NSMB U that bad? I'm considering either that or Pikmin 3. It's a shame that we Americans can't get W101.

I went into NSMBU(& Luigi U) completely burned out on the "new" series. I came out of it wishing for an HD compilation of the previous games. It felt fresh again and was truly one of my favorite Mario experiences. So, no, it's not that bad.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

"That bad" ? WTF its one of the greatest 2D Mario plattformers and leagues above games like NSMB 2, get it - in my opinion its a must have for WiiU owners.

This coming Friday I'll finally be able to download Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 on the JP eShop.
My hope is to finish them before the end of the month, meaning I wouldn't have had the need to pay anything for them (unless I REALLY want them, in that case they're gonna be 40% off)

Rich!

Yes, but how do I add new "family members"? I can't find any info on it.

No no nooooooooo

Forget "family members". Afaik it does NOT exist outside of America! (I assume you are in EU)

Just sign out of club Nintendo, then redeem a code. Once you finish the survey, it'll ask for you to set up an account. Use a different email to your main club Nintendo account and go through the signup process. Once done, reload the club Nintendo homepage and select your free game. Redeem that code on your Wii U. Done. No fucking around, especially when we have only three days left.

I personally just... don't like it much. It feels super shallow and soulless to me. Playing it felt like a chore most of the time, but there were some enjoyable moments, at least. I've gotten to the last world, but I feel little motivation to beat it. =/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

NSMBU is fine. It's a very large game with plenty of strong stage layouts, but depending on how much time you have put into the prior "New" series of games, it can feel very stale. Not much new in terms of design outside of the HD visuals and a couple exchanged powerups. Most of the complaints seem to focus on NSMB fatigue rather than any objective problems.

Pikmin 3 sounds like a safe bet if you are less interested in 2D Mario, though I have barely had the chance to play it, its almost universally praised seemingly.

vatstep

I just started playing NSMBU today. I had never bothered with the series before, but since I was able to get this one free from this promotion, I went for it.

It's alright so far. I don't like the floaty controls, but I'm realizing/remembering that this is the case for most 2D Mario games (been a while since I've played any). I am also really freaking slow; the time nearly runs out on every level I finish, which never, ever used to happen to me when playing Mario games. I think I'm just more neurotic about getting all/most of the coins.

Xun

It said I was going to receive an email about my code, but I've yet to receive one yet.

Not that it's a problem since I took note of the code, but even so.

It took me a while to decide, but I finally went with Monster Hunter.

eggwolio

No no nooooooooo

Forget "family members". Afaik it does NOT exist outside of America! (I assume you are in EU)

Just sign out of club Nintendo, then redeem a code. Once you finish the survey, it'll ask for you to set up an account. Use a different email to your main club Nintendo account and go through the signup process. Once done, reload the club Nintendo homepage and select your free game. Redeem that code on your Wii U. Done. No fucking around, especially when we have only three days left.

Thanks for clearing this up. Sorry for being a dumb dumb American.

Xeno_V

This must have been answered at least a few times before but if I have already registered a physical MK8 copy under my NNID is it also ok to do the same with a digital one?

eggwolio

This must have been answered at least a few times before but if I have already registered a physical MK8 copy under my NNID is it also ok to do the same with a digital one?

It's okay but you won't get the free game for both without dealing with customer service. Register them on different accounts. I know this from experience.

Also, physical copies don't register on an NNID, if you wanna be technical about it. But definitely register it on a sub account in your club Nintendo.

So GAF, I have a problem...

I ordered Mario Kart 8 off of Amazon last week because it was cheaper online but fedex tracking says it's supposed to arrived on Friday, August 1st.

Am I screwed with my chances of a free game? Should I just buy it from retail before the deadline and return the game to Amazon?

tengiants

I ordered Mario Kart 8 off of Amazon last week because it was cheaper online but fedex tracking says it's supposed to arrived on Friday, August 1st.

Am I screwed with my chances of a free game? Should I just buy it from retail before the deadline and return the game to Amazon?

Nintendo is tough when it comes to deadlines. If you're expecting them to honor it after the promotion, you will be disappointed.

Wow, where are you getting MK8 for $37??

It's $72 total here in Canada, and I cant afford it, even though I bought a WiiU to play it with friends over the summer lol.

Rich!

Not a chance. You're fucked.

Buy it elsewhere from a local store. Keep the receipt. When your online order turns up, return that to the store for a refund.

Also, shit - an entire week to turn up via amazon? that's bullshit. Here in the UK, I order from shopto and with free shipping it's always sent out the same day first class to turn up the next morning.

about to redeem my third code now lol

Not a chance. You're fucked.

Buy it elsewhere from a local store. Keep the receipt. When your online order turns up, return that to the store for a refund.

Also, shit - an entire week to turn up via amazon? that's bullshit. Here in the UK, I order from shopto and with free shipping it's always sent out the same day first class to turn up the next morning.

about to redeem my third code now lol

What about the code?

Top Bottom