• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Contacts Game Informer Over Misinterpreted Monolith - Zelda Quote

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, confirmation that the development team is 100 people is a bit unsettling. Sure, that sounds like a lot of people, but to offer some perspective, OoT had a staff of 120 people working on it. And considering this game is way bigger, more complex and requires way more detailed art assets, only to have the team still be overall smaller? Just something to keep in mind.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
And people still think his next project will be a sequel to XCX. He spells it out pretty clearly here that it's not.

I mean it's Xeno 3 though. Not sure why anyone expected XCX2.

Also, confirmation that the development team is 100 people is a bit unsettling. Sure, that sounds like a lot of people, but to offer some perspective, OoT had a staff of 120 people working on it. And considering this game is way bigger, more complex and requires way more detailed art assets, only to have the team still be overall smaller? Just something to keep in mind.

Different people count different things. Sometimes people just count hands-on development staff. Sometimes people count the debuggers and cinematic production staff. Who knows!

Ridley327

I really wouldn't look that hard into it. Nintendo is all about conservative estimates.

Mak

Ocarina of Time had about 40-50 EAD staff doing design work, with an additional programming company that brought the number of people to about 120.

Nintendo Power - Vol 11 - Aug 1998
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/legendofmiyamoto.html

Power: How many people are working on Zelda now?

Miyamoto: Forty of fifty. It's the biggest development group I've ever had. We also have a programming company working closely with us. If I include those people, maybe 120 people are working on Zelda altogether.​

In comparison to Ocarina of Time's staff size of 40-50 from EAD in 1998, Super Mario World in 1990/1991 had about 16 people work on it.

Mario Mania Player's Guide 1991
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/miyamotomariomania.html

Q. How many people does it take to make a Mario game?

A. It seems like every time we do a Mario game, four more people join the team. Sixteen people helped with Super Mario World, and it took us about three years to make.​

Breath of the Wild basically has double the amount of staff Ocarina of Time did.

ika

In the first article, it's just the writer assuming things, as Takahashi didn't say anything about other kind of game, just something different [of XCX].

In the second he just says the look and feel will be different, that can mean a hundred things, from totally online, totally offline, turn based, action based, futuristic, fantasy based, realistic, cel shading...

It'll be a JRPG, and probably will be called Xeno-something or even Xenoblade Something as he says in that article that at this point is just a kind of signature.

That, or he'll remake Disaster: Day of Crisis... :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ocarina of Time had about 40-50 EAD staff doing design work, with an additional programming company that brought the number of people to about 120.

Nintendo Power - Vol 11 - Aug 1998
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/interviews/legendofmiyamoto.html

Power: How many people are working on Zelda now?

Miyamoto: Forty of fifty. It's the biggest development group I've ever had. We also have a programming company working closely with us. If I include those people, maybe 120 people are working on Zelda altogether.​

In comparison to Ocarina of Time's staff size of 40-50 from EAD in 1998, Super Mario World in 1990/1991 had about 16 people work on it.

Programming's pretty important though, ain't it?

skypunch

Banned
In the first article, it's just the writer assuming things, as Takahashi didn't say anything about other kind of game, just something different [of XCX].

In the second he just says the look and feel will be different, that can mean a hundred things, from totally online, totally offline, turn based, action based, futuristic, fantasy based, realistic, cel shading...

It'll be a JRPG, and probably will be called Xeno-something or even Xenoblade Something as he says in that article that at this point is just a kind of signature.

That, or he'll remake Disaster: Day of Crisis... :p

No. It will be a sequel to XCX called Xenoblade X-2. All those plot points need wrapping up and the credits say that "This story never truly ends". Takahashi is obviously remaking project Zohar; the Tatsu food jokes confirm this.

/s

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Yeah SRD is an exclusive EAD programming group. They are internally located at Nintendo's development building, and program about half the games.

Mak

Programming's pretty important though, ain't it?

Looking at OoT's credits, if you count just the staff that handled design and programming work at EAD and leave out voice actors, and localization staff etc., there's about 65 or so EAD staff + the additional thanks section. Miyamoto was probably talking about SRD that Shikamaru Ninja mentioned that would have offered programming support in addition the in-house EAD programmers like Kazuaki Morita.

http://zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/Credits

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/0

Iwawaki I'm Iwawaki in charge of main programming at SRD. Like Aonuma-san, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was my first game in the series.

4. SRD Co., Ltd.: A company established in 1979 that contracts to develop video game software programs and develops and sells CAD packages. The head office is in Osaka, and their Kyoto office is inside Nintendo headquarters.

So basically, SRD staff are part of the development staff of Ocarina of Time, in the same way Intelligent System programmers worked on Super Metroid, or Monolith Soft is providing support today.

ika

No. It will be a sequel to XCX called Xenoblade X-2. All those plot points need wrapping up and the credits say that "This story never truly ends". Takahashi is obviously remaking project Zohar; the Tatsu food jokes confirm this.

/s

Hmmm, don't get the "/s". That be optimal, IMO. I want more of that universe. But I understand if they want to try other things before returning to it, if ever. But it's a good guess they'll try to return to Mira sometime.

I'm pretty sure (fan theory incoming lol) that the original plan for this game was to release episodic DLC extensions of the main story (more chapters), as the focus was to develop a good engine first. It'd be easy to keep adding new monsters, characters, quests and even continents. After Wii U fail to sell well maybe they thought to make a sequel for the next console instead, but as the game didn't sell that well either (not sure since there are no official numbers, but we can assume it's less than 1million as Nintendo usually list million sellers in their reports), they just choose to try something different for NX...

Maybe in 10 years we'll see XCX Director's Cut + Episode 2 for NX2 or whatever...

I don't think they're saying the development team is 100 people. I think they're saying that's the number of people across Nintendo's various Kyoto and Tokyo studios helping with the project, outside of the core team at Nintendo EAD 3.

Piers

Aonuma claimed the A Link Between Worlds team was more than 90. I wonder what the final number of Zelda: BotW will be.

It'd be rude to say that sounds excessive but...for a top-down game with fairly simple graphics, that's quite the load.
Must of been for crazy fast debugging, perhaps?

Honestly I'd rather have a new game then a sequel to XenoX.

I do not care about those characters with those designs.

Maybe the mechs but not the characters.

ika

Honestly I'd rather have a new game then a sequel to XenoX.

I do not care about those characters with those designs.

Maybe the mechs but not the characters.

Well the designers can return in the next non-XCX game and do worse (in your opinion) characters... Like some people say: careful what you wish for... :p

I'd love to see more stories in that universe, to know past events, resolve mysteries, meet new characters... They could ever do a "Director's Cut" for the first game prior to the sequel like I said before where Takahashi changes some things people criticized and do a better character and plot development...

Dunkley

I mean it's Xeno 3 though. Not sure why anyone expected XCX2.

Well I mean given XCX's big cliffhanger ending I don't think it's entirely wrong to assume that there's gonna be a sequel.

I'm not counting on the next game being that either but at the same time it's understandable where people are coming from since the post-credits scenes definitely set the foundation for a direct sequel by tossing a whole bunch of new questions at you that do not get answered in the post-game stuff.

skypunch

Banned
Well I mean given XCX's big cliffhanger ending I don't think it's entirely wrong to assume that there's gonna be a sequel.

I'm not counting on the next game being that either but at the same time it's understandable where people are coming from since the post-credits scenes definitely set the foundation for a direct sequel by tossing a whole bunch of new questions at you that do not get answered in the post-game stuff.

Or perhaps the writers just want to leave it to the players imagination? My interpretation is that it was written that way just to add to the mysteriousness of Mira. An epic theme-laden story wasn't the focus for XCX, so yeah perhaps they just decided to have a bit of fun by leaving the rest up to the imagination of the player. Perhaps Monolith didn't expect some XCX players to get so attached to the story and characters. I mean, Takahashi pretty much implied the scenario was a bit shit.

Thanks. I like that much better.

And I really hope they don't leave xenoblade 3 with a cliffhanger, and no I don't consider XenoX a complete story because it obviously isn't. And not Sawano pls.

Edit: I wouldn't surprise if Zelda team has 200-300 people. It is a massive project with the things they try to accomplish.

TheJoRu

Aonuma said it's the biggest project with the biggest team ever for a Nintendo game. So it's definitely >200 in overall staff.

AntMurda

It'd be rude to say that sounds excessive but...for a top-down game with fairly simple graphics, that's quite the load.
Must of been for crazy fast debugging, perhaps?

Sometimes 10 guys work on one game exclusively for like 5 years. Sometimes 100 guys contribute smaller bits to a game for like 2 years. All sorts of things are possible.

zigg

Here's the Game Informer update, since in this whole thread, we've never linked it

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...n-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx

Update: Nintendo has clarified how it is working with Monolith on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Last week we learned that Nintendo was working with Xenoblade Chronicles X developer Monolith Soft on the new The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild when Shigeru Miyamoto told us that over 100 people were on the team. This week, we were able to confirm that the entire Zelda team is over 100 people, which includes both Nintendo and Monolith Soft, as opposed to 100 from Monolith alone.

MomoQca

At this point, we have no idea what they're working on. Takahashi never confirmed a direct sequel, but he also never denied it. Both sides need to stop acting like they know what they're working on based on vague comments from interviews. How about we wait a few years?

DJIzana

Or perhaps the writers just want to leave it to the players imagination? My interpretation is that it was written that way just to add to the mysteriousness of Mira. An epic theme-laden story wasn't the focus for XCX, so yeah perhaps they just decided to have a bit of fun by leaving the rest up to the imagination of the player. Perhaps Monolith didn't expect some XCX players to get so attached to the story and characters. I mean, Takahashi pretty much implied the scenario was a bit shit.

For the sake of your salt and because I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles X, I hope there is a sequel. :p

DekuLink

That's quite a weird formulation, why would he say that over a 100 people from Nintendo are helping making the Zelda game? s:, makes it sound like it's not Nintendo who is the main developer or that a 100 extra people from Nintendo in addition to the main Nintendo team are making it.

ika

That's quite a weird formulation, why would he say that over a 100 people from Nintendo are helping making the Zelda game? s:, makes it sound like it's not Nintendo who is the main developer or that a 100 extra people from Nintendo in addition to the main Nintendo team are making it.
Because, even after more than 10 years, people still have a problem associating MonolithSoft as an internal studio, a first party. They're not a separate entity, just happens they work in other offices than Nintendo Kyoto building and have a different name.

One day... I wish...

Eliseo

Because, even after more than 10 years after, people still have a problem associating MonolithSoft as an internal studio, a first party. They're not a separate entity, just happens they work in other offices than Nintendo Kyoto building and have a different name.

One day... I wish...

Indeed, just the other day my friend (who doesn't buy Nintendo consoles) was telling me Monolithsoft needs to remake xenosaga or xenogears and Im like but you never buy Nintendo consoles and he is like so what? It will be on PS4 as well....

Top Bottom