• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2013.10.1 - 11 pm Japan Time, 3 pm BST, 10 am EDT, 7 am PDT

The Wii U is coming into it's second holiday season at retail, and still there's shockingly little compelling titles for the system all the way until 2015. What has Nintendo been doing???

This system is looking extremely troubled. We're all gamers here, but most people still don't even know what a Wii U is or that it even exists. Anytime I walk into a retailer, the Wii U section is so incredibly small and sad looking. Now, the holiday line up is another Mario, while I'm sure is "fun," doesn't look to break any new ground and Sonic Worlds? That's what will compete with the new PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo's own 3DS, and all the games coming for those systems?

I feel like Nintendo has already gave up on the Wii U. As if they knew this year they couldn't compete, so they are holding their games back until next holiday. If that's not the case I really have no clue what they're doing with their time.

I heard something about Kid Icarus, MarioKart 7, and 3D Land receiving additional content later this year? What's that about? Can someone confirm?
Nintendo Zone October / November. North America only? Also North America only* (?) get 6 tags instead of one per NZ. How do you make such a thing NA only? Limit it to attwifi SSID...

My guess a special streetpass tag that does not get erased from the relay (so say a staff ghost for MK). NOA also said gold pants miis... so implies special Miis. But what special thing can you do with 3D Land, SP is junk in that game...

*-Was not in EU direct.

Tom_Cody

I heard something about Kid Icarus, MarioKart 7, and 3D Land receiving additional content later this year? What's that about? Can someone confirm?
They are doing some sort of Nintendo Zone content for those games, similar to they currently do with Animal Crossing. Basically, tag a Nintendo Zone and get a special Street/Spot Pass.

I wouldn't get too excited. I mean, what could this even mean for those games? Speculation:

KI:U could have a special (or at least very good) weapon.

SM3DL could have some sort of interesting magic box (or whatever those things are called).

Mario Kart is probably the strangest one here. Maybe they could add a street pass racer featuring a special Mii?

Sandfox

But why didn't they talk about it? Where they try to hide the delay from summer to fall?

Iwata announced that the patch was delayed in a direct a while back so they aren't really hiding it and the spring patch wasn't mentioned in one either.

The Wii U is coming into it's second holiday season at retail, and still there's shockingly little compelling titles for the system all the way until 2015. What has Nintendo been doing???

This system is looking extremely troubled. We're all gamers here, but most people still don't even know what a Wii U is or that it even exists. Anytime I walk into a retailer, the Wii U section is so incredibly small and sad looking. Now, the holiday line up is another Mario, while I'm sure is "fun," doesn't look to break any new ground and Sonic Worlds? That's what will compete with the new PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo's own 3DS, and all the games coming for those systems?

I feel like Nintendo has already gave up on the Wii U. As if they knew this year they couldn't compete, so they are holding their games back until next holiday. If that's not the case I really have no clue what they're doing with their time.

What are you smoking, and can I have some?

Porcile

They're releasing like 5 games which all previously sold 5 million +. It's been pretty obvious for months and months this winter was all about stabalising sales of the system. Whether it will be successful or not, we can only wait and see. No DK is a big blow IMO.

EulaCapra

Oh boo, I misread that Mario Kart 7 update as something big *cough* single-player VS. mode *cough* It's just Nintendo Zone related. Boo.

And what happened to Mario Party 3DS for North America??? Delayed too like in Europe? On track?

Oh well, Super Mario 3D World saved the Direct by being more beautiful and fun-looking than ever and almost makes me forget what a complete utter waste the majority of the Wii U's first half of the year was (almost).

lantus

That was a pretty good direct. Better than the last couple have been. I'm almost at the point of wanting to buy a Wii U now, not quite, but almost. If I wasn't already committed to buying a PS4 on launch day, I would be waiting till Black Friday to get a Wii U. Seeing as I'd probably only be buying exclusives for it, I might as well wait until more are released and there's a cheaper price for entry.

Elija2

What was that about new Kid Icarus/SM3DL/MK7 content being sent out? I don't think SM3DL ever got Spotpass content, and I'm pretty sure they stopped sending out Kid Icarus content a while ago.

Anteo

What was that about new Kid Icarus/SM3DL/MK7 content being sent out? I don't think SM3DL ever got Spotpass content, and I'm pretty sure they stopped sending out Kid Icarus content a while ago.

Street pass content, as in golden pants Mii from Nintendo Zones that have streetpass content for these games.

hatchx

Banned
Did anyone else find it a bit strange they didn't mention Batman: Arkham Origins, Call of Duty, or Watch Dogs on WiiU?

Elija2

Oficial Miis marked as coming from a country called Nintendo and wearing golden pants, we had Iwata's and Regie's miis in the past appear on the plaza.

So if we go to a Nintendo Zone we can get their Streetpass data from those games instead of just for the plaza? SM3DL Streetpass is kinda useless, but I will be able to race against Reggie or Iwata's ghosts in MK7?

This must have been one of the best directs i have seen so far. The production values clearly took a step up. Good pace, good cut, good and clear voices with well written text. This is how i want N-Directs to evolve. Content wise the 3DS was a blast while 3D World just looks and especially sounds stunnig.

hatchx

Banned
Did I hear Iwata correctly. Did he saw 3D World would have single player AND multiplayer levels? As if they are separated somehow?

That's great news if true. I was hoping for some super-challenging solo levels.

Elija2

Now that I think about it, I don't recall them mentioning last night's Wii U firmware update on the NA Nintendo Direct. That's weird because it was a pretty big update.

They also didn't mention Flipnote 3D or the Miiverse update for 3DS that will be coming out this month...
right?

spliced

That was a pretty good direct. Lots of good info and media without a bunch of droning on about a bunch of old news, plus a new game reveal. The NOA guy Damon Baker was a bit too robotic with his cue card reading though.

Sakura

Meant to post after I watched it but GAF was down so I fell asleep...
Any way, pretty solid Direct I feel. Not really any bombs, but the trailers they showed looked pretty great. Especially SM3DW. It's too bad about Donkey Kong, but I didn't have enough money to buy it this year anyway, what with all the other releases. I wish the For the Sequel upgrade for those that own the original though wasn't so expensive.

DjRoomba

Banned
Do you people still seriously think 3D world looks good? Im still super unimpressed (Super Mario
Unimpressed. Wahoo!). I feel like ive played it already and I feel it looks particularly cheap and un-epic

Sakura

so anyone surprised that mario and sonic at the winter olympics actually looks pretty good?
Yea it does look pretty good. I'm not sure I could see myself paying full price though, I'd probably get it if it dropped in price, but by then the online community probably won't be very active.

Do you people still seriously think 3D world looks good? Im still super unimpressed (Super Mario
Unimpressed. Wahoo!). I feel like ive played it already and I feel it looks particularly cheap and un-epic

I think it looks fucking amazing. Super Mario 3D Land was, in my opinion, the best Mario game since SM64. So a bigger, better, more aesthetically pleasing version of that is just great as far as I'm concerned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I mean the program itself because it's only wasting money.

And let them returned again to E3 & TGS and other conference.
If you feel it's a waste of your time then don't watch them. I quite enjoy seeing new footage of games I'm looking forward to. I really doubt these cost that much to produce. They'd would still have to put together trailers to distribute to other outlets

And return to TGS? They hardly (if ever) went. And they were at E3. The only difference between the Direct and a live conference was the whooping from the crowds and the occasional embarrassing moment like the Wii Music demo. The information presented is exactly the same.

my favorite part of this was iwata taking the time to note that, yes, nabbit does look like ravio, and here's why:

Lol, yes, that was a very Nintendo/Iwata thing to do.

This Direct has changed my mind about Super Mario 3D World. After seeing that trailer, I'm content to call this game Super Mairo Galaxy's successor. Looks absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to pick it up.

ahm998

If you feel it's a waste of your time then don't watch them. I quite enjoy seeing new footage of games I'm looking forward to. I really doubt these cost that much to produce. They'd would still have to put together trailers to distribute to other outlets

And return to TGS? They hardly (if ever) went. And they were at E3. The only difference between the Direct and a live conference was the whooping from the crowds and the occasional embarrassing moment like the Wii Music demo. The information presented is exactly the same.

You know i never see ND in CNN or BBC while E3 Wii Music in CNN & BBC for long time?

It's adversiting dude & Wii U already died with it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the...most random racist behaviour ever? What the hell.

It was a dumb and unneccesary comment, but let's be careful with the accusations here. It looks more like a "grammar police" thing.

ahm998

Yea, he was just making fun of his grammar/lack of punctuation.

It was still unnecessary and random though.

Dude come on....

Ignore his comment i never be sensetive with people like this just ignore him like you never read his comment.

Everything become old in our body expect morals make you up or down this his choise to show himself in front of other people.

Ignore please :)

Top Bottom