• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2012

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Good week. Even crap Virtual Console releases are better than nothing; Have to get them out of the way to get to the good stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unlike the Wii Store the 3DS eshop does rolling releases after 12 noon eastern/9 am pacific so sometimes the content you came on for won't be on there for a few minutes or hours. They usually have everything up by 1:30, but I've waited on an update until 3pm once.

Maiden is amazing. I just spent two weeks looking for good iPhone games and not really liking what I found.

Liberation Maiden is like a breath of fresh air after that.

Gonna keep productivity to ios and gaming to 3DS from now on.

also

Banned
Do any of you who are planning to get Castevania know what you are getting or are you all just buying it because it's Castlevania? The game's not good. It's short with little replay value, there are no subweapons, your character moves slooooooooooooooowly and you start off with a super short whip that makes fighting some enemies a chore. The whip can be upgraded but you lose 1 upgrade every time you are hit. Aside from it's music, the game has no remarkable qualities. Save your money!

Yes Boss!

Do any of you who are planning to get Castevania know what you are getting or are you all just buying it because it's Castlevania? The game's not good. It's short with little replay value, there are no subweapons, your character moves slooooooooooooooowly and you start off with a super short whip that makes fighting some enemies a chore. The whip can be upgraded but you lose 1 upgrade every time you are hit. Aside from it's music, the game has no remarkable qualities. Save your money!

Yep, pretty wretched in the grand scheme of things Castlevania. But, this was one of those games that I always played back on OG Game Boy. Nostalgia is a bitch.

Good day for releases with Liberation Maiden, Mudds update, Night Sky and Castlevania.

also

Banned
Yep, pretty wretched in the grand scheme of things Castlevania. But, this was one of those games that I always played back on OG Game Boy. Nostalgia is a bitch.
Tell me about it. I bought Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins and while I had fun, it was really short and too easy. Definitely not as good as I remembered.
I somehow managed to refrain from buying Super Mario Land, but I'll probably cave in eventually. *sigh*

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
New page...

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Mutant Mudds (OT) DLC (Renegade Kid)
    Grannie Levels DLC Pack (Free) Latest release!
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    Gold Mushroom Pack ($2.50) Latest release!
    Coin Challenge Pack B ($2.50) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Wii | Virtual Console

• Shock Troopers (D4 Enterprise | Neo Geo | 900 Points) Latest release!

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• 18th Gate (CIRCLE Entertainment | 500 Points | $4.99) Latest release!

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• New Super Mario Bros. 2 (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    Get the Gold Mushrooms! Pack (€2.50 | £2.00) Latest release!
    Coin Challenge Pack B (€2.50 | £2.00) Latest release!
  • New Art Academy DLC (Nintendo)
    Mixing Paints (€? | £?) Latest release!
    Pointilism & Textures (€? | £?) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Tell me about it. I bought Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins and while I had fun, it was really short and too easy. Definitely not as good as I remembered.
I somehow managed to refrain from buying Super Mario Land, but I'll probably cave in eventually. *sigh*
I like SML1 more than 2 to be honest. It's like some really impressive primitive LCD game. Plus dat soundtrack.

Kid Icarus OMAM and Metroid II were somehow better than I remembered though. Sometimes there's a silver lining with old games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
KI 2 was always a better game then KI 1 but Metroid II was put through the wringer when it comes to people's memories when in fact its a really good game that pushes against the limitations of the platform in exciting ways. I think it is better than Metroid.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like SML1 more than 2 to be honest. It's like some really impressive primitive LCD game. Plus dat soundtrack.

SML1 was horrible. Bad glitches and bad physics and bad graphics and bad powerups and bad short gameplay time.

SML2 at least had one cool powerup, great stages (Pumpkin Zone! Space Zone! Robo-Mario Zone!) great original bosses (culminating with Wario, loltotangawho?), a decent amount of levels, and yes, even better music. And it wasn't as glitchy.

SML1 was horrible. Bad glitches and bad physics and bad graphics and bad powerups and bad short gameplay time.

SML2 at least had one cool powerup, great original bosses (culminating with Wario, loltotangawho?), a decent amount of levels, and yes, even better music. And it wasn't as glitchy.
Better music? Nope sorry. SML1 end credits > *

also

Banned

Kid Icarus OMAM and Metroid II were somehow better than I remembered though. Sometimes there's a silver lining with old games.
SML1's soundtrack is quite catchy and I love the submarine and plane levels, but SML2 has a proper world map with hidden exits, unusual themes (robo Mario, tree/beehive, space, horror), bosses you can't simply run through and the awesome rabbit ear Mario. The final level is also one of my favourite from 2D Marios.

I got a code for KI:OMAM when buying KI: Uprising and I was surprised at how player friendly it was: it allows you to look around after pausing and easily grind your way to victory. It also has a lenient save system. Not sure if I would drop 4 bucks on it, though.

KI 2 was always a better game then KI 1 but Metroid II was put through the wringer when it comes to people's memories when in fact its a really good game that pushes against the limitations of the platform in exciting ways. I think it is better than Metroid.
I thought about getting KI 1, but I'm not spending 6 bucks if it's worse than KI2.

SML2 at least had one cool powerup, great stages (Pumpkin Zone! Space Zone! Robo-Mario Zone!) great original bosses (culminating with Wario, loltotangawho?), a decent amount of levels, and yes, even better music. And it wasn't as glitchy.
Huh? I completed SML1 more than 20 times and I have yet to encounter a single glitch.
I wouldn't say SML2 had a better soundtrack. The only music I remember from the top of my head are the two themes from the space levels (I hated that Alien boss as a kid) and the boss theme.

EDIT: I just noticed Castlevania:TA is 3,99$ while it's 2,99€ in PAL land. Aren't games usually priced 1$=1€?

Eusis

Just off the top of my head the only two people who seemed to REALLY want the game already had it, so if they really care to play again I guess I can't actually fault them, not like someone going in expecting a good classic style Castlevania. Anyways, The Adventure actively put me off of Castlevania until I heard about Symphony of the Night being a Super Metroid clone, where love for Super Metroid overruled Adventure in my long lasting apathy towards the series.

... Despite that I did try CV1, CV4, Bloodlines, and Dracula X SNES, even if the last one was a rental by my brother, and I did read about them and keep my eye on the series. I think I just thought it wasn't my thing, or being a dumb kid I'd keep trying something I didn't like and it wasn't like these were shitty Marvel licensed games that I could tell were too terrible and boring to bother with.
Yeah, Metroid II's problems are 1. no map system combined with the graphics made it very easy to get lost, and 2. the fact it's been in Super Metroid's shadow. Metroid 1 at least has colorful visuals so it's harder to FEEL as lost, and Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made. For whatever it's worth I think every major release (not Pinball or Prime Hunter) but the first two and to a lesser extent Other M are absolutely worth playing, even Other M would be easier to recommend with lower expectations if you could just skip the damn cutscenes. I guess you could download an already completed save and piggyback off of that though.

Roto13

Not sure what the Marvel Pinball 3D update does. It doesn't add a DLC menu. Maybe it fixes the Fantastic Four table.

I wouldn't buy DLC for that game anyway, not that Zen Pinball 2 exits with cross-buy for everything on PS3 and Vita. :p

The best thing about Adventure releasing today is that we're one step close to getting the fantastic Belmont's Revenge. Can't wait for that one.

It's logical to release a Youtube App in 3DS... But why on Wii?

Good grief, took long enough. YouTube stopped working on my Wii browser over a year ago, videos crash after about two minutes, it's pathetic. But who cares at this point when the Wii U comes out the week before with a browser that already supports YouTube on HTML5? Still nice to have as an option though I guess at least on 3DS.

Edit, source. All hail HTML5! Die Flash!

http://nintendoeverything.com/inter...pport-no-flash-tabs-fastest-nintendo-browser/

Good grief, took long enough. YouTube stopped working on my Wii browser over a year ago, videos crash after about two minutes, it's pathetic. But who cares at this point when the Wii U comes out the week before with a browser that already supports YouTube on HTML5? Still nice to have as an option though I guess at least on 3DS.

Edit, source. All hail HTML5! Die Flash!

http://nintendoeverything.com/inter...pport-no-flash-tabs-fastest-nintendo-browser/

Even before that Youtube XL on the browser was pretty shitty. Used it once or twice and never went back. It was terrible.

Parallacs

Castlevania Adventure is not that bad, I like it. It actually got good reviews when it came out and was very popular. It led the Nintendo Power play list for a few months. And remember: this was the only way to play Castlevania in the car.

in the game you will quickly get to a part where there is a long flat field with stones you have to jump across. If you fall, you have to go left and restart. I think everyone that gets to this part gives up. Yes, the controls suck, but so do most platformers on the gameboy.

The game is linear with no saving, so it is a trek.

But there are some great parts also:
Music is phenomenal
Bosses are a fun challenge
Graphics aren't that bad considering the age
Flame whip!

The next Castlevania on Gameboy, Belmont's Revenge improves on everything except music. It even has stage selection and passwords.

The final one, Legends is so bad it is non-canon. Bad music, pointless pit-traps, bosses that just stand there.

Pretty neat how there were three Gameboy, three GBA, and three DS Castlevanias (not counting kid dracula, the double-pack, or NES classics).

Parallacs

Whoa, what? Belmont's Revenge has the best music in the GB CV trilogy. The only song that compares from the first game is Battle of the Holy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the music in the second one. I just have nostalgia pushing me to love the first one more.

That probably also explains why I prefer the music in Dracula X for the SNES a lot more than the CD quality music in Rondo of Blood.

But yeah everyone, buy Castlevania Adventure and maybe we will see more Castelvania handhelds on VC!

Qurupeke

So...

October 4th: Pullblox on sale
October 11th: Colors 3D on sale
October 18th: Potzol's Puzzle on sale
October 25th: Let's Golf! 3D on sale
November 1st: ???
November 8th: ???

I'd really like if they would lower the price of Fallblox(about 20% I guess), but it's probably coming late November... I also want Pokedex 3D Pro to go on sale, but it's near to impossible... Dillon, Muttand Mudds or Mighty Switch Force are probably going on sale thought.

also

Banned
Castlevania Adventure is not that bad, I like it. It actually got good reviews when it came out and was very popular. It lead the Nintendo Power play list for a few months. And remember: this was the only way to play Castlevania in the car.

in the game you will quickly get to a part where there is a long flat field with stones you have to jump across. If you fall, you have to go left and restart. I think everyone that gets to this part gives up. Yes, the controls suck, but so do most platformers on the gameboy.

The game is linear with no saving, so it is a trek.

But there are some great parts also:
Music is phenomenal
Bosses are a fun challenge
Graphics aren't that bad considering the age
Flame whip!

The next Castlevania on Gameboy, Belmont's Revenge improves on everything except music. It even has stage selection and passwords.

The final one, Legends is so bad it is non-canon. Bad music, pointless pit-traps, bosses that just stand there.

Pretty neat how there were three Gameboy, three GBA, and three DS Castlevanias (not counting kid dracula, the double-pack, or NES classics).
I actually liked that they made you do all those jumps. If you failed you didn't die (though that nearby bat can cause some problems) and it really taught the precise jumping the game expects from you.

No saving is not a problem any more as all VC game suspend upon quitting and there are save states. You also restart at the begging of the stage you lost all your lives in, so, as long as you got the patience, you can complete this game.

Music is good but I wouldn't call it phenomenal.
The bosses are OK. The 2nd and last one are good. The 1st is kind of lame and the 3rd one is so so.
I doubt anyone playing a GB game in 2012 really cares about graphics.
The fireball spitting whip is nice, until you get hit and lose it. And then you get hit again and are stuck with the short and weak default whip.

The Adventure was a let down but I'm still curious to try the other GB Castlevanias.

Bosses are really hard though. You need like a million hits to take them down, and the battles get really tedious.

The first boss caused me the most problems, but by the 2nd and 3rd one I already had enough upgrades that they went down much more easily.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Huh? I completed SML1 more than 20 times and I have yet to encounter a single glitch.

Oh God, this is going to play out like KevinCow vs. Segata isn't it?

The game is glitchy as hell. The fireball is glitchy, I got stuck in the ceiling twice during my last playthrough, and the enemies are pretty erratic too.

massoluk

Banned
Hmmmm.. Anyone got a clear answer on what happen if I double dip on Mario Kart 7 and Tennis? Anyway to keep the old save? I'm not betting on it, but still...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I want to download Professor Layton, but fuck that price man.

US price, around £25, UK £40.

Bloody ridiculous. :(
I know Layton will be either nigh impossible to find retail here, or it will be ~45 EUR regardless. Considering getting an NTSC 3ds though.

Top Bottom