• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Since I'm too lazy to type out and proof read things, I will just use this image to summarize my thought.

Sz7n4fI.jpg

Schnozberry

A couple things:

1) I can't imagine they'd require users who want a console experience to buy a handheld. The SCD needs to work independently of another device. Unless they really want to release a $99 console and then SCD is another $199 add on or something.

2) I don't see how the handheld could be used as a Gamepad as people are thinking, since you need a snug high speed connection to share computing resources. What happens if a wire gets jostled? "GPU disconnected?" I'd also imagine a longish wire between handheld and SCD would introduce additional latency not found on a motherboard, but I'm not sure.

1. Nobody expected them to force people into a tablet they didn't want either, but this would actually be a much more marketable value add. I think it makes a lot more sense than Handheld + Console + Cloud Device. Even if just from a cost perspective.

3. Completely agree here. I think we'll end up with a dedicated controller for use at home. Whether it has as screen or mimics features of the handheld I guess depends on how far they can drive down costs.

Dr. Buni

I don't know, but it sounds like NX may just be a handheld device and you can connect it to the "supplemental computing device" to get extra power for console experience.
Sounds good to me. Hopefully the games will run well without the "extra power".

Snakeyes

NX console = handheld + supplemental unit. Basically there is none.

Nintendo aren't stupid enough to repeat a mistake that resulted in Dreamcast-level sales and force people who don't give a fuck about portable gaming into buying a handheld peripheral to get a console experience. There will likely be a standalone handheld and console SKU, both of which can be enhanced by the supplemental computing device.

Nintendo aren't stupid enough to repeat a mistake that resulted in Dreamcast-level sales and force people who don't give a fuck about portable gaming into buying a handheld peripheral to get a console experience. There will likely be a standalone handheld and console SKU, both of which can be enhanced by the supplemental computing device.

Example: Instead of paying $400 for only one console, you are now paying $200 for the handheld plus $200 for supplemental unit, basically you pay $400 for both handheld and console.

See what I mean?

Snakeyes

Example: Instead of paying $400 for only one console, you are now paying $200 for the handheld plus $200 for supplemental unit, basically you pay $400 for both handheld and console.

See what I mean?

I do, but people generally don't like paying for shit they're not going to use. Remember how people refused to buy a Wii U because they wanted nothing to do with the Gamepad and all the requests for a Gamepad-less SKU? There's a risk of the same thing happening here.

The better solution is to offer both form factors separately, each optimized for a portable or stationary experience and let consumers make the choice themselves. Then, those who are looking for a bit more oomph can buy the SCD to boost their NX device.

I do, but people generally don't like paying for shit they're not going to use. Remember how people refused to buy a Wii U because they wanted nothing to do with the Gamepad and all the requests for a Gamepad-less SKU? There's a risk of the same thing happening here.

The better solution is to offer both form factors separately, each optimized for a portable or stationary experience and let consumers make the choice themselves. Then, those who are looking for a bit more oomph can buy the SCD to boost their NX device.

It's different though. One is a gamepad which people have to hold/look at (which they find unconformable and add nothing to gaming experience), the other one is a handheld which when paired with supplemental unit, it will act as a processing unit (read game card, validate licenses etc.)

heidern

This is a primarily a software patent which can be applied to any hardware. It doesn't suggest anything about whether NX is a handheld or not. It can apply to traditional consoles, handhelds, Wii U style consoles and any other computing device like mobiles, tablets, PCs etc.

It also says about the supplemental device:
Because the sole or primary function of the supplemental computing device(s) may be to enhance the gaming experience by supplementing resources of the game console 102, in some instances the hardware of the supplemental computing device(s) is purposefully limited.

In other words it the SCD might not be primarily to enhance the console which means it could also be anything such as PC, tablet etc. The dedicated SCD will be sold for best performance as well as for people living in remote/rural areas but they can piggy back off of PCs as a jump start for free instead if they already have one. I guess there'll be an app, but maybe an internet interface too, so theoretically you could also potentially jack into your PS4/XB1 and even PS5/XB2 which would be funny. Would be a clever way to offer a low cost second console though.

Nikodemos

^^^^^ I don't think so. You'd have too many different power levels spread too wide. Nintendo have never liked technical complications, so they aren't going to turn your PC/laptop/whatever into a supplemental device via an installable program.

Also, I don't believe that Nintendo will put forth another dedicated home console. I may ultimately be mistaken in this belief, but for all intents and purposes Nintendo home consoles are practically dead right now. Wii U barely managed to overtake the Vita (which has been officially dead for nearly two years) and the leadership are keen enough to see that its sales unfortunately fit the continuously descending trend of generation-to-generation decreased sales starting from the NES itself (with the notable and noticeable exception of the Wii).

The_Lump

Banned
Jesus christ some of you guys are imagining some incredibly over-complicated scenarios for this.

This has to be easy to use and understand for consumers.

It's a Marketing departments wet dream :D

Main thing to remember with any patent application, is that its a patent for an idea or concept for a physical product. It will never explicitly state the complete function of a product, just key principles behind any potential functionality, should it be used in a product. Which brings up the next point which is that it may not be something they plan on using right now; it could be a concept that has come out of a separate development process and they are patenting it because they think it might have value one day. You really never know. People patent some weird and wonderful sh*t every day.

Cool idea, I can see a lot of potential uses for this concept, but I'm not going to assume it categorically has anything to do with NX.
Although I think/hope it does :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope this patent comes to fruition. I really like the idea of peer-to-peer cloud, it might help tackle the biggest issue with the cloud computing, the latency.

Also the idea that maybe the handheld and the console can combine the power together is a very interesting one.

Pifje

Sounds like a stationary dock with more hardware capabilities + a handheld device you can connect to it to get more power. Maybe you can even use the dock to provide calculational power to the handheld when the handheld is detached.

Or some shit.

Turrican3

Ok so this made me think about that WSJ rumour a couple of weeks ago, where they said NX SDK was going to include both a console and at least a mobile unit.

With this patent around I have to wonder again if Nintendo might just opt to slap the very same hardware on both portable and home (or should we call it docking station...), likely adding more RAM and/or upping clocks on the latter. I'm thinking of the exact same chips, just with a lower clock on the portable to save batteries. Then, the portable acts as both a stand-alone unit, a supplementary computing device and a controller.

You can also obviously buy an NX portable without anything else, and maybe even a "dumb" unit without any processing power, to be used as a simple extra controller for the home.

Price them as follows:
NX home <= 299$ (includes NX portable!)
NX portable around 149/199$ (can be also used as pad for the home and daisy-chained as further, extra SCD)
NX "dumb" controller <=59$ (not necessarily essential, but at the same time forcing people to shell out 100+ dollars for an extra controller seems stupid so I think it would be nice having this option as well)

I can see lots of economies of scale at play here that I guess Nintendo would love being able to exploit.

If its a handheld, then RIP Mario Galaxy/Metroid Prime/big 3D Zeldas/Pikmin/Splatoon/Wonderful 101/Bayonetta/that big AAA Retro Studios game you're all dreaming of
I don't understand what you're talking about.
If Nintendo can do that kind of stuff on a Wii, you can bet they can on NX as well.

Ganondolf

sounds to me that the home console NX will be a docking station, the question is will it run games separately or is the handheld essential.

bomblord1

Banned
Based on this
9. The apparatus as recited in claim 6, the acts further comprising broadcasting a service set identification (SSID) associated with the apparatus such that game consoles that are remote from the apparatus may wirelessly communicate with the apparatus.

What I'm hearing is there are 2 consoles a home station and a portable unit.

The portable unit connects to the home station on the go via a remote-play style setup further supplemented by cloud computing so that you can play the home console games on the go or just use them at home.

Basically, imagine if you could take the wiiU gamepad to the neighbors house and still be playing wiiU games on it.

KingBroly

Banned
Based on this
9. The apparatus as recited in claim 6, the acts further comprising broadcasting a service set identification (SSID) associated with the apparatus such that game consoles that are remote from the apparatus may wirelessly communicate with the apparatus.

What I'm hearing is there are 2 consoles a home station and a portable unit.

The portable unit connects to the home station on the go via a remote-play style setup further supplemented by cloud computing so that you can play the home console games on the go or just use them at home.

Basically, imagine if you could take the wiiU gamepad to the neighbors house and still be playing wiiU games on it.

So...basically

The Console acts like a Cloud Computing Device for the Handheld locally? And is accessed via the internet via remote play if you're on the go for Cloud Computing?

This sounds like some crazy shit.

bomblord1

Banned
So...basically

The Console acts like a Cloud Computing Device for the Handheld locally? And is accessed via the internet via remote play if you're on the go for Cloud Computing?

This sounds like some crazy shit.

That's what I'm reading and looking back over it I'm not finding anything contradictory in the application.

Soooo I can hopefully use my pc/980ti to boost my game performance? Seems what a supplemental box would be to me.my PC.

Yes. Because if Nintendo manufactures the SCD and it's not a requirement. If people are satisfied with the game without using the SCD, Nintendo will have a lot of unsold SCDs.

KingBroly

Banned
That's what I'm reading and looking back over it I'm not finding anything contradictory in the application.

Sounds pretty crazy...

and sounds like something Japanese devs would drool over, since it'd open up their console games to the handheld/mobile audience over there.

And...if you don't have a console unit...there's probably going to be a subscription service...

But then you would need to be connected to the internet to properly run any game that uses that cloud computing power. Also it doesn't really help a handheld unless you drive around looking for wifi to use

bomblord1

Banned
That didn't work out so well for the Vita...

I'm guessing there's going to be a Subscription Service for those who don't get the Console...but man...I dunno. This whole thing sounds weird yet amazing.

There's been some significant updates to wireless infrastructure since then.

ChaosXVI

Jesus, the web of "wut?" that is the NX just keeps getting more intricate and confusing. I really, REALLY cannot wait to learn more about what all this could mean for it/them. I'm definitely intrigued by there being a "beast-mode" add on...but I feel like the general audience would look at it and just see a shinier 32X...

Maybe there will be a SKU where the add-on is build in? Like the SEGA 'Neptune' was supposed to be for the 32X and Genesis?

Just read through the patents again and this is big shit. Borderline betting the farm big shit. Way bigger than keeping the Wii a generation behind. This time they're going way into the future.

Just read through the patents again and this is big shit. Borderline betting the farm big shit. Way bigger than keeping the Wii a generation behind. This time they're going way into the future.
I agree.

If this approach works and pays off ... that could shake up the traditional console-hardware-circle as of now.

Pure irony, to think that Nintendo, with the most barebones approach to online in the current and last gens, might come out with one of the most advanced one.

I sure need to save a day-off for the unveiling of the NX, worth it for the reactions alone, if it delivers on games then even better.

I agree.

If this approach works and pays off ... that could shake up the traditional console-hardware-circle as of now.

Pure irony, to think that Nintendo, with the most barebones approach to online in the current and last gens, might come out with one of the most advanced one.

I sure need to save a day-off for the unveiling of the NX, worth it for the reactions alone, if it delivers on games then even better.

Indeed. After the Wii, Microsoft and Sony couldn't get motion controls out quick enough, so if this catches on they will surely follow. Nintendo are going to change the game again.

Deku89

I'm wondering if Nintendo will make a unit of measurement for this. Such as the base handheld is 1gc (GameCube ;). Then you can purchase SCDs to increase the speed. Each game will have a required gc to play (if you don't have enough, you have to borrow through the cloud); on the box, something like "10gc required". It would be like a simplified PC.

I'm wondering if Nintendo will make a unit of measurement for this. Such as the base handheld is 1gc (GameCube ;). Then you can purchase SCDs to increase the speed. Each game will have a required gc to play (if you don't have enough, you have to borrow through the cloud); on the box, something like "10gc required". It would be like a simplified PC.

That would be simply awesome. And despite them reportedly switching to AMD, the persistence with IBM Power PC may suggest they've been planning this for well over 10 years.

The_Lump

Banned

It is literally exactly what I was hoping for with the WiiU reveal. The night before that e3 I was planning out an advert in my head where a guy was using the Gamepad (or whatever we were calling it back in the WUST threads before the reveal) to play mario kart at home in local MP with his kids, streaming onto his gamepad screen whilst they were in another room. Then he had to go to work so he logged out, took the controller with him on the bus, logged back in and continued playing the game with his family back at home whilst he commuted to work.

I think mobile data speed was and probably still is quite a big obstacle in achieving this, bu the possibility is enough to get me misty eyed :)

geordiemp

It is literally exactly what I was hoping for with the WiiU reveal. The night before that e3 I was planning out an advert in my head where a guy was using the Gamepad (or whatever we were calling it back in the WUST threads before the reveal) to play mario kart at home in local MP with his kids, streaming onto his gamepad screen whilst they were in another room. Then he had to go to work so he logged out, took the controller with him on the bus, logged back in and continued playing the game with his family back at home whilst he commuted to work.

I think mobile data speed was and probably still is quite a big obstacle in achieving this, bu the possibility is enough to get me misty eyed :)

There is already a sony advert doing this with a Vita remote play. What is the difference ?

It seems more like a portable with a surface pro type docking station which enhances the performance (maybe over a proprietary cable which would be novel).

Still intrigued as it sounds like you get a portable and a console in one....

I'll just throw this out for discussion because I have no technical knowledge on the subject of cloud computing.

If this sells really well and you live in an area densely populated with NX consoles and supplementary computing devices, would 4K gaming be possible?

entremet

Pretty crazy how Nintendo has gone from LOL Friend Codes to some crazy cloud gaming solution in two generations.

Last thing I would expect from them.

geordiemp

I'll just throw this out for discussion because I have no technical knowledge on the subject of cloud computing.

If this sells really well and you live in an area densely populated with NX consoles and supplementary computing devices, would 4K gaming be possible?

Go watch Microsoft examples of powerful azure servers backing up an xb1. If there was 4K demo there would of been many GAf crow articles by now.

All I have seen is additional physics calculation for building destruction...

Normal GPU work is way too fast to be helped with anything online imo.

bomblord1

Banned

Once again just my speculation based on what I'm reading but I don't think the idea is a conglomerate of computers combining into a super computer but being able to connect to other people's supplementary stations (or Nintendo's servers) in case yours is out of range or unavailable to run games.

I think the idea would be hit the threshold of a single console to run your games basically.

Top Bottom