• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Schnozberry

Has anyone posted a summary? that's a lot to go through. :( I'd really appreciate it.

I'll do the best I can.

The drawings and patent indicate that Nintendo is working in a distributed cloud computing platform capable of enhancing the capabilities of a game console. This supplemental piece of hardware would connect to an existing console/device in order to boost local compute performance as well as offer the ability to opt in to Nintendo's Cloud Services.

It posits that users would be able to gain additional network compute resources from both Nintendo's cloud servers as well as from nearby users that have elected to make their own nodes available to the cloud. There is also indication that users will somehow be compensated for doing this, but no specifics are listed as this is a patent.

The rest of the thread has been speculation about what this means for NX. Is this supplemental cloud device some kind of home gateway for the NX Handheld so it can be used like a console at home? Is it an optional purchase separate from both the NX Console and Handheld? Is it even a real product? No one knows.

Wow, flipping through this thread I'm vaguely shocked at how positive it is. It's a very cool concept, but I thought this was gonna get derided like Power of the Cloud was.

Always nice to be pleasantly surprised :)

orioto

Good Art™
A thing about the whole multiple power configuration bothers me.

I'm all for something that let people play the same game on portable and home console, with different graphics. But that's just 2 different configurations.

Now this variable outside cloud power seems .. variable, meaning never really the same. So that would be more something like a pc then, with tons of possibilities.

I do'nt see Nintendo releasing a Smash bros that you can play at 540p, 720p, 1080p, at 30fps, 60 fps etc... that's not they philosophy of a game properly designed.

Wow, flipping through this thread I'm vaguely shocked at how positive it is. It's a very cool concept, but I thought this was gonna get derided like Power of the Cloud was.

Mostly because this actually looks kind of viable... a local cloud makes much more sense than the nebulous "cloud" that was supposed to make the X-bone the most powerful console.

Looking at it from a glass-half-full perspective, if you don't get a lot of cloud support you'll probably have a good console. If you do have a lot of cloud support you'll have a better one.

Mostly because this actually looks kind of viable... a local cloud makes much more sense than the nebulous "cloud" that was supposed to make the X-bone the most powerful console.

Really? I disagree entirely. Unless you mean "local" in the sense of "in the same house," which is more about the modular aspect, a local p2p cloud is going to have more network issues than a centralized one, no?

(Also, who says X-bone?)

Looking at it from a glass-half-full perspective, if you don't get a lot of cloud support you'll probably have a good console. If you do have a lot of cloud support you'll have a better one.

True.

Regiruler

I'll just throw this out for discussion because I have no technical knowledge on the subject of cloud computing.

If this sells really well and you live in an area densely populated with NX consoles and supplementary computing devices, would 4K gaming be possible?
So duct taping them together would actually do something?

I'm not convinced we'll see this distributed network thing in whatever NX is, besides like a bit torrent like install system or something. (in the case of incomplete instals, level data sharing would work too)
A remote play/ps now style setup is quite possible of course, so would renting out people's consoles for generic compute to offset some of the cost of game servers, but idk about leaving time-critical tasks to the machines and routers of the public.
Cases where the program can request something 1 second in advance, and a server steps in within half a second if there is no home device available would be ok, but it needs to be a guaranteed level of support.

A thing about the whole multiple power configuration bothers me.

I'm all for something that let people play the same game on portable and home console, with different graphics. But that's just 2 different configurations.

Now this variable outside cloud power seems .. variable, meaning never really the same. So that would be more something like a pc then, with tons of possibilities.

I do'nt see Nintendo releasing a Smash bros that you can play at 540p, 720p, 1080p, at 30fps, 60 fps etc... that's not they philosophy of a game properly designed.

Yeah, I don't see it working like that either. Look at how the rest of the industry are using cloud processing at the moment. Probably the most recent example is Crackdown 3 using it for enhanced environmental destructibility. Even if they cut out the worst latency, there's still going to be latency that Nintendo can't avoid and that will limit what they can do w/ the cloud.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, I don't see it working like that either. Look at how the rest of the industry are using cloud processing at the moment. Probably the most recent example is Crackdown 3 using it for enhanced environmental destructibility. Even if they cut out the worst latency, there's still going to be latency that Nintendo can't avoid and that will limit what they can do w/ the cloud.
Of course there will be latency. Anything that sits across the network cable == latency. But a distributed P2P configuration as the one depicted in the patent can bring the average latency case to much better levels. Of course the worst case will always equal "the closest amazon farm facility".

Schnozberry

Physics seems like the most interesting application at the moment. The most useful features of the supplemental device will depend on what form it takes. Honestly, the least interesting thing they could do with it would be making a supplemental box that connects to your console and rewards you with Nintendo eShop credit for doing cloud physics calculations. Unless its practically free, that is.

It would need to be an integral part of the system that has some easily sold features for it to be any kind of success.

Doctre81

This sounds kinda like what microsoft claimed the xbox one was gonna do with cloud.

Also the RAM expansion pack of the future LOL

geordiemp

I'd credit Nintendo with a bit more heart than Microsoft in this regard. Yes, they're just as ruthless as any company, but generally, I feel their kit delivers what is intended more than most.

LOL, Nintendo knows more about cloud and server tech than MS to 'deliver'.

Talk about deluded. You do know MS are kinda into servers and cloud ? Like number 2 world wide ?

Chindogg

LOL, Nintendo knows more about cloud and server tech than MS to 'deliver'.

Talk about deluded. You do know MS are kinda into servers and cloud ? Like number 2 world wide ?

Business applications and gaming are two separate purposes. So far "the power of the cloud" really hasn't show up for Xbox One yet.

Well it is intriguing this is Nintendo's own patent, rather than them partnering with a company to deliver some form of cloud service. But it's good, really shows how they are evolving as a company. I mean, I'm no expert, but it sounds like they are taking big steps to not just deliver 'gimmicks' to enhance gameplay, but also looking more into the technical side of things. Which is what people have been wanting Nintendo to do, right?

Business applications and gaming are two separate purposes. So far "the power of the cloud" really hasn't show up for Xbox One yet.

Exactly. And more to the point, this thread concerns a patent, which is an actual thing that has been designed (for want of a better description,) which could translate into an actual product and not just marketing BS after the product has been unveiled.

Pokemaniac

I'll just throw this out for discussion because I have no technical knowledge on the subject of cloud computing.

If this sells really well and you live in an area densely populated with NX consoles and supplementary computing devices, would 4K gaming be possible?

That's not how cloud works. Cloud can assist with certain types of tasks. Directly producing graphics would be impractical unless either the entire game was running in the cloud or the cloud is rendering cutscenes.

Bdub

I'll do the best I can.

The rest of the thread has been speculation about what this means for NX. Is this supplemental cloud device some kind of home gateway for the NX Handheld so it can be used like a console at home? Is it an optional purchase separate from both the NX Console and Handheld? Is it even a real product? No one knows.

Is it possible to make a scalable home console? A cheap entry point for casuals, which is enhanced by supplemental hardware to please hardcore gamers who want better graphics and more options?

geordiemp

And what have they done with it do far?

Outside of the billion dollar azure business, not much especially for gaming.

Only thing cloud computing has been shown to be good for is physics for destructible buildings in Crackdown. And the Ps3 folding for computing...and bit coins.

What on earth do you think it will be used for exactly ? I am really intrigued.

Not read many articles that expect cloud to show up, I agree. Think all distributed stuff is bad for gaming and gameplay, including PS Now.

AmyS

To recap the most interesting things:

The system includes a game console, as well as a "supplemental computing device" that's physically connected to the game console to provide "processing resources."

In the patent background, Nintendo says it wants you to play this console from anywhere. This hints at the idea of a mobile, handheld component.
Nintendo says the console could "take the form of any suitable type of computing device, e.g., mobile, semi-mobile, semi-stationary, or stationary." That could mean anything from a game console that sits in your living room and ports audio and video through your TV, or a console that has its own display, like a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer. It even mentions wearable computing devices and body-mounted computing devices can be "capable of sending communications and performing functions."

The console works differently depending on how far away it is from the "supplemental computing device." If it's close by, it can process everything "at a nearly real-time speed," including graphics and sound effects. But "far away devices may only be able to provide asynchronous or supplementary support to the events occuring on the console (e.g. providing for weather effects in games, artificial intelligence, etc.)."

The console can "couple to multiple supplemental computing devices" to enhance the capabilities of the overall system. Nintendo mentions you can daisy-chain these supplemental devices to one another, either physically or wirelessly, for more power.

Nintendo's patent describes a system that includes a console as well as a "supplemental computing device" to handle storage and processing needs.

It sounds like the console will center around a handheld device that's at least partially powered by the "supplemental computing device" you keep in your home. So, you can take your console with you and it will still work, but some features may depend on your connection to your home's supplemental device.

And here's an interesting feature: According to the patent, Nintendo will reward you for the amount of time or "raw resources" (money, we imagine) you've spent playing on your console. Compensation could include "access to other supplemental computing devices, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network," and more.

http://www.techinsider.io/nintendo-nx-patent-photos-2015-12

CoryCubed

Upgrade your Nintendo NX with the new Lakitu Amiibo w/Mode 7 Chip!

64 Lakitu Amibos - N64 Graphics
100 Lakitu Amibos - Last Gen Graphics
10000 Lakitu Amibos - PS4 Graphics
10,000 Lakitu Amibos -
1,000,000 Amibos - PS9 Immersion Level with the Final Fantasy Cloud!

Outside of the billion dollar azure business, not much especially for gaming.

Only thing cloud computing has been shown to be good for is physics for destructible buildings in Crackdown. And the Ps3 folding for computing...and bit coins.

What on earth do you think it will be used for exactly ? I am really intrigued.

Exactly what the patent says. Weather effects and AI, and in some cases, graphics.

I don't want to start an argument because I certainly get as giddy as the next Nintendo fan at the prospect of their next innovation, so I'm trying to focus on what we know. And what we know is in the patent.

AmyS

I like the idea of adding supplemental computing devices, locally, to my home gaming setup and hopefully not having to rely on the cloud.

Deku89

I don't like the idea of Cloud Gaming at all...

The way this sounds, you only use it if you want. You can either buy the cheaper system and go through the cloud if you want more power, or buy the SCD and have all that power locally.

The_Lump

Banned
There is already a sony advert doing this with a Vita remote play. What is the difference ?

It seems more like a portable with a surface pro type docking station which enhances the performance (maybe over a proprietary cable which would be novel).

Still intrigued as it sounds like you get a portable and a console in one....

Well the difference is that I'm referring to a thought I had 3 years ago :p

I don't like the idea of Cloud Gaming at all...

Except that it's not cloud gaming. The SCD is tethered to the console, it adds processing benefits as described in the patent. It also has local P2P networking with other consoles to provide those added benefits in wireless form. This is not a game streaming service.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Interesting connection made here:

Overall, this sounds like a completely viable system, and a potentially smart move for Nintendo. It also sounds similar to what a report from October in The Wall Street Journal that shed new light on Nintendo's plans for the NX. Here's what it said:

People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.

And it makes me hopeful that the advanced graphic capabilities/industry leading chips (the Wall Street Journal guy said they were one and the same in the followup questions sent to him, right?) talk from the same report were on point.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Prompted by orioto, I've been thinking what minimal device setup would still meet the patent and be perfectly understandable to the customers. I've come to the conclusion that a handheld and a console can perfectly fit the setup from the patent.

The console plays the supplement role for the handheld when in close proximity. The former also provides P2P services to the network when unused. When 'unthethered' the handheld can still remote-play the console over internet, or use it for the same P2P services the console otherwise provides to the rest of the network. Voila.

Kurt

Iwata told us once that the nx starts from user base 0. Whatever that means...

Anyway it could be nice to deliver good gfx with low cost. Bit the most important part is still whats unique on the hardware. Aka total new exp.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm going to be disappointed if the hub/dock and other devices don't combine into a giant mecha.

Schnozberry

Prompted by orioto, I've been thinking what minimal device setup would still meet the patent and be perfectly understandable to the customers. I've come to the conclusion that a handheld and a console can perfectly fit the setup from the patent.

The console plays the supplement role for the handheld when in close proximity. The former also provides P2P services to the network when unused. When 'unthethered' the handheld can still remote-play the console over internet, or use it for the same P2P services the console otherwise provides to the rest of the network. Voila.

That was my initial conclusion as well from earlier in the thread. Although the connection from handheld to console would have to be fast if they are going to do any kind of parallel processing. Probably not wireless, unless Nintendo wizards have some unheard of magical capabilities. The console as a docking/charging station for the handheld seems logical if you assume they work in tandem this way.

I'm reading this through once again and it seems to be more Nintendo's spin on a proprietary external HDD w/ added logic for use locally and this P2P cloud thing they've got cookin.

Think about it. They need a large capacity HDD available that's easy for consumers to identify. They're really pushing for more online sales (they need the higher margins). This is one way to facilitate that.

Of course, they also have the patent for the game console w/out optical drive. This, to me, indicates two versions of the NX home console. One w/ an internal HDD and one w/ an optical drive. It wouldn't be surprising if they're struggling to keep costs down on the console. Of course, this is also something they could have decided to change this year (though I'd also suppose the time for such changes is quickly running out).

I'll try, in a bit, to do a little breakdown of the patent in order to clarify why I interpret it as so.

Oregano

If it's really a handheld with a companion box that boosts it to console power somehow count me the hell in.

Damn the run up to NX is just so exciting.

I'm reading this through once again and it seems to be more Nintendo's spin on a proprietary external HDD w/ added logic for use locally and this P2P cloud thing they've got cookin.

Think about it. They need a large capacity HDD available that's easy for consumers to identify. They're really pushing for more online sales (they need the higher margins). This is one way to facilitate that.

Of course, they also have the patent for the game console w/out optical drive. This, to me, indicates two versions of the NX home console. One w/ an internal HDD and one w/ an optical drive. It wouldn't be surprising if they're struggling to keep costs down on the console. Of course, this is also something they could have decided to change this year (though I'd also suppose the time for such changes is quickly running out).

I'll try, in a bit, to do a little breakdown of the patent in order to clarify why I interpret it as so.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Personally I'd drop your optical drive idea but I don't think I change your mind about that.
If optical media was involved, then perhaps they would ONLY sell handhelds games in optical format at retail, and anyone wanting to buy them would need the hub (which would be the only device with an optical drive).
Having a home hub for storing handheld games on hdd could be a good idea as game sizes get larger, and the same system could serve a home version.

Lebon14

Except that it's not cloud gaming. The SCD is tethered to the console, it adds processing benefits as described in the patent. It also has local P2P networking with other consoles to provide those added benefits in wireless form. This is not a game streaming service.

The way this sounds, you only use it if you want. You can either buy the cheaper system and go through the cloud if you want more power, or buy the SCD and have all that power locally.

It doesn't sound like absolute cloud gaming, at least. Just "supplemental" as in you might not need it at all, but it's a huge benefit if you're willing to take part.

Thanks all for the info. But I'm still skeptical...

Schnozberry

Is it possible to make a scalable home console? A cheap entry point for casuals, which is enhanced by supplemental hardware to please hardcore gamers who want better graphics and more options?

Is it possible? I don't know. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical. Just because Nintendo filed for a patent doesn't mean it actually ended up being a retail product. This speculation is fun, but it's just as likely this patent was filed based on the research done at NERD, and never turned into anything. It sure is fun to imagine what Nintendo might have done with it, though. I hope they manage to blow us all away, because the industry has enough people doing the same shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably late to this, but I sounds more like the supplemental box is other users home consoles. In the description it talks about how much you've shared, and whose boxes you now have access to. Also has a diagram of the supplemental box attached to the users home machine.

So possibly it uses the home NX machine to boost the portable graphics (maybe it can run basically when offline, but stream when you're connected to a network like remote play?). And if your machine isn't being used, it can be borrowed by other players to boost their games.

Top Bottom