• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

Yeah, but nobody needs to call Sony or Apple to log in on a new device.

You do once you reach the activation limit. Those limits are just higher than Nintendo provides and people have yet to be as constrained by them. But they're very much there. Both iTunes and iBooks have 5 device limits, for example.

Sony, I don't know enough about, but a quick Googling brought me this:

So basically, all told, you will be able to have your PSN ID/PS+ account active on:

2 PS3s.
2 Portables (PSP / PS VIta).
1 PS4, along with the ability to use your content on any other PS4 that you don't own.

I can't speak for its accuracy but here's the link.

You do once you reach the activation limit. Those limits are just higher than Nintendo provides and people have yet to be as constrained by them. But they're very much there. Both iTunes and iBooks have 5 device limits, for example.

Nope. You can deactivate machines online for all of the services you listed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
We need to see if there's going to be a new revision, the DSi of the situation. I've explained pages ago why I think it's a good possibility this year, but we don't know yet of course.

The problem is, theres no obvious new selling point to a 3DSi. Theres no camera to whack on, no online store to slip in, no XL version card to play. Theres incremental upgrades like better battery and built in NFC, but thats not stuff you can inspire sudden revitalised interest in the platform with.

For me, about the only 'waves perhaps?' option would be a super-oversized 3DSXXXL that could also function as a GamePad for the WiiU, but that would probably be too expensive with all the gubbins and bottom screen resolution boost required.

Hey, maybe there should be a sequel to the GameBoy Printer except its a 3D Printer! Print your own amiibos, etc.
$599

Tobor

You can deactivate Apple devices you no longer own on the website, no phone call is required. It's easy as pie. Don't even pretend anyone has as backwards a system as Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We know basically nothing about next year's software schedule (a hint at Zelda), but it does seem most of their teams are tied up on Wii U games. The big franchises have all been released.

I see the collapse continuing, especially as another revision seems unlikely at this point, and small tablets continue to sell to kids.

I don't know...again, I think we're due to a 3DS revision this year.
This is why I said earlier about the possibility, why I think it's there

Seriously, I think there's going to be a 3DS revision this end of the year. Here's the reasons

1) Japan has been two years without a new 3DS model. 3DS XL came out on July 28th, 2012. Two years indeed. This would be usually the right time for a new revision, in order to proprel hardware sales again, especially when...

2)...they're going down. Now, as already said, shipments are still infuenced by the big Holidays overshipping, so much that 3DS sold 200,000+ more in Americas and Japan than what was shipped in those two territories, so you have to count that as well, but sales are still going down. Especially...in Japan, best 3DS territory so far. Which is very similar (not number wise, but % wise) to what happened to DS Lite sales in 2008 compared to 2007. That year, DSi happened.

3) Shipments forecasts being defined as "conservative". Now, let's try to comprehend what could that mean. FY2013 ended with 12,230,000 3DS and 2,900,000 Wii U shipped. This year's forecasts are respectively 12,000,000 and 3,600,000. They seem to basically be based on what happened in FY2013 with some adjustments due to releases, age of the platform and other things. Wii U forecats is extremely low, but higher than 2013, due to having MK8 and Smash Bros., as well as other titles, coming out this year, compared to Super Mario 3D World and Wii Party U. Stronger lineup, thus stronger sales, even if not by that much to call it a turnaround.That's...something that should be reached by Wii U, and it could do higher than that too.
3DS, instead, is slightly lower than last year: end-of-the-year lineup should be not that far from last year (Pokémon remake doesn't have the same power Pokémon main has, but Smash Bros. should be better than Zelda, even in the West), platform aging being considered as well...but, last year, 3DS reached 12 millions also thanks to 2DS's launch. And Iwata himself said that those forecasts have been made conservative because "they're sure they will reach them". Now, of course, we have the evaluation component: last years, they sucked hard at doing forecasts. But this time, they seem to be at least trying to be reasonable: you can't tell me that they've overshoot with Wii U forecast, since it's higher than last year, but still poor at best...and since they applied the same reasoning to 3DS forecasts (conservative, based on last year happenings and what happens this year) , I suppose they won't leave it without a revision this year, at least in order to be as near to their forecast as possible.

Let's see if it's going to happen, then.

Popnbake

510k. Let that number sink in dude. WiiU isn't outselling anything, it's on par with XB1 whilst having what you could deem its biggest ever software release.

When will people realise Wiiu isn't going to be some big seller, at christmas or any time of year ...

FYI go look at Nintendo's WiiU Forecast.

Nintendo is really putting a lot of focus on Smash U with the promoted Invitational and Amiibos.

But from how the 3DS version played at the recent sdcc tournament, people may be satisfied just picking up a cheaper 2DS/3DS for Smash 3DS as opposed to getting a Wii U. There's also only 10 Amiibos releasing for the holidays which may limit sales as people won't be able to buy their favorite Smash characters.

It could go either way but with the hardware numbers after MK8, it doesn't look good for them.

We know basically nothing about next year's software schedule (a hint at Zelda), but it does seem most of their teams are tied up on Wii U games. The big franchises have all been released.

I see the collapse continuing, especially as another revision seems unlikely at this point, and small tablets continue to sell to kids.

Well honestly I assume 2015 will be barren because if not that means they will be woefully underprepared for a 2016 4ds launch
Mpl even with a revision it seems unlikely to reach that forecast. I dont doubt one is coming but that doesn't make me think a new revision will have a big impact anywhere outside Japan

Mpl90

Well honestly I assume 2015 will be barren because if not that means they will be woefully underprepared for a 2016 4ds launch

To be honest, I suppose them developing a good amount of content for WiiU is also them preparing themselves for the next handheld's launch (since there should be lots of similarities between them).

Soul_Pie

These sales pretty much sum up my feelings on them; Nintendo make garbage hardware but great games, but not great enough that I want to download them onto their shitty hardware using their terrible online infrastructure.

I got a WiiU recently and first thing I do is load up Mario Kart, after a bit of an update I start playing and I'm just loving it, it's the kind of game that could make you fall in love with Nintendo all over again. You've got the kind of offline experience that only Nintendo offers, mixed with amazing charm and polish, everything about it is just pure class.

It came with a free game, so I'm pretty excited to download the remake of one of my favourite games, and I have 3GB of useable space on the harddrive! This is the year 2014 and I have 3GB to spare! How many other people thought they might buy a few Nintendo games or try a few demos off the e-shop and just thought it wasn't even worth the hassle? It's just a joke.

Shiggy

So you have to call these companies? I can simply deactivate devices on my own. Didn't know they offer Nintendo-like accounts to special persons like you ;)

Wii U sales on the rise.
3DS sales on decline.
MK8 has incredible sales.

10 Billion Yen (I think that must be about 100 Mio US Dollar or 73 Mio Euro) is not that worrisome. Knowing the fact that Nintendo put a lot of unexpected expenses in there. Will be interesting to see how the Wii U performs this holiday. I think it had the change to outsell both competitors worldwide (only on holiday, after holidays PS4 will be on top again, but Wii U will probably outsell Xbox One continuously) and that MK8 and Smash Bros will be two of the biggest game this holiday.

Gamewise the Wii U will have at least one good year ahead with exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devil's Third, Yoshi, Kirby, Zelda, Fatal Frame 5, Mario Party 10 and Splatoon (and probably some unannounced games). At least Nintendo doesn't drop the Wii U like inglorious Sony did with the Vita, but on the other hand the Wii U sales are better than Vita sales.

There is no new Nintendo Handheld needed. 3DS sales decline, software sales are good. Nintendo could easily live with 3DS two years more before releasing a successor.

I'm just gonna quote this again because it is as delusional as it looks.

their new handheld will almost certainly have the Wii U's full Virtual Console available at launch and probably a ton of the eShop games as well. that's why their new platforms are being made to absorb the Wii U's architecture.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't say that it's almost certain. I can see 3DS games carrying over to the next handheld and Wii U games carrying over to the console, but the "unification" will likely start as they move forward with next gen. It will be interesting to see if they pull that $1.50 "upgrade fee" nonsense again.

gtj1092

Those MK8 numbers are shipped right? And do the free games count towards their total software because if so that number is even worse that it seems. Also couldn't digital sales be down due to all the free game giveaways?

And yet ironically Nintendo is the only one of the big three this gen that allowed content from their previous generation systems to be played on their next generation system.

While I'd love for them to get their shit together and get a real account system going when presented with the option of either being able to play my content on multiple same generation systems or to carry that content with me to the next gen it's an easy decision which one I'd prefer.

And sale numbers said that the avarege costumer doesn't care that much for that.

Mpl90

Mpl even with a revision it seems unlikely to reach that forecast. I dont doubt one is coming but that doesn't make me think a new revision will have a big impact anywhere outside Japan

It depends. Both Q4 FY2013 and Q1 FY2014 have been limited by stock shipped last Holiday season. It's true that actual sales went down as well, but...just US and Japan account for 200,000+ sales MORE than the shipped units. If they launch a DSi-like revision, and there's no overstocking anymore (i.e. the right amount of stock on shelves), there is a chance for them to reach 12 millions.

McHuj

I don't think a 3DS revision will matter. At the end of the day, it's still a 3DS. And I'm not sure it's really missing features as much as its just outdated. They need a completely new handheld to transition to.

It depends. Both Q4 FY2013 and Q1 FY2014 have been limited by stock shipped last Holiday season. It's true that actual sales went down as well, but...just US and Japan account for 200,000+ sales MORE than the shipped units. If they launch a DSi-like revision, and there's no overstocking anymore (i.e. the right amount of stock on shelves), there is a chance for them to reach 12 millions.

Unless this revision would launch very soon there wouldn't be enough time to hit 12 million barring some crazy explosion in sales.
Even if they did it would be a massive channel stuff leaving them with another terrible year next year.

jcm

3) Shipments forecasts being defined as "conservative". Now, let's try to comprehend what could that mean. FY2013 ended with 12,230,000 3DS and 2,900,000 Wii U shipped. This year's forecasts are respectively 12,000,000 and 3,600,000. They seem to basically be based on what happened in FY2013 with some adjustments due to releases, age of the platform and other things. Wii U forecats is extremely low, but higher than 2013, due to having MK8 and Smash Bros., as well as other titles, coming out this year, compared to Super Mario 3D World and Wii Party U. Stronger lineup, thus stronger sales, even if not by that much to call it a turnaround.That's...something that should be reached by Wii U, and it could do higher than that too.
3DS, instead, is slightly lower than last year: end-of-the-year lineup should be not that far from last year (Pokémon remake doesn't have the same power Pokémon main has, but Smash Bros. should be better than Zelda, even in the West), platform aging being considered as well...but, last year, 3DS reached 12 millions also thanks to 2DS's launch. And Iwata himself said that those forecasts have been made conservative because "they're sure they will reach them". Now, of course, we have the evaluation component: last years, they sucked hard at doing forecasts. But this time, they seem to be at least trying to be reasonable: you can't tell me that they've overshoot with Wii U forecast, since it's higher than last year, but still poor at best...and since they applied the same reasoning to 3DS forecasts (conservative, based on last year happenings and what happens this year) , I suppose they won't leave it without a revision this year, at least in order to be as near to their forecast as possible.

They've sucked at doing forecasts for a lot longer than a year. They've proven to have no idea at all just how bad things are. I'm not sure why we should believe that has changed now. Here's Nintendo's recent record of forecasting operating income.

Code:
Forecast    May 7 2009     490
Revised    Oct 29 2009     370
Actual                     356

Forecast    May 6 2010     320
Revised    Sep 29 2010     210
Actual                     171

Forecast   Apr 25 2011     175
Revised    Jul 28 2011      35
Revised    Oct 27 2011       1
Revised    Jan 26 2012     (45)
Actual                     (37)

Forecast   Apr 26 2012      35
Revised    Oct 24 2012      20
Revised    Jan 30 2013     (20)
Actual                     (36)

Forecast   Apr 24 2013     100
Revised    Jan 17 2014     (35)
Actual                     (46)

I don't know...again, I think we're due to a 3DS revision this year.
This is why I said earlier about the possibility, why I think it's there

Let's see if it's going to happen, then.

They could pull one out of nowhere, but what? What could they possibly release that would serve any purpose in reigniting consumer interest? They already have the 2DS, which adapted a tablet-shape and got costs down for them. Any more change to the base formula and they may as well save it for the successor.

This too. And don't forget they've got at least some people working on QoL.

Mpl90

Unless this revision would launch very soon there wouldn't be enough time to hit 12 million barring some crazy explosion in sales.
Even if they did it would be a massive channel stuff leaving them with another terrible year next year.

It's possible that I'm optimistic about its potential, but 2DS, even if by overshipments, had an impact on sales at the end of last year, and that launched last October. Now, think about a DSi-like revision, going to substitute the OG 3DS, around its price (OG 3DS price would be cut as well), and launched in Japan as well (2DS only launched in US and Europe)...wouldn't that have a visible impact on overall sales for the period? Of course, it'd need to be more consistent after Holiday season, otherwise there will be a repeat of Q4 FY2013, with a very low shipment due to overstock in Q3.

Too many silly mistakes and failures to read the market could only take Nintendo that far.

I guess we should all warm up to the idea that pretty soon we may not be able to use Nintendo's hardware to play their software.

Unless they release a Nintenphone, of course. :3

Shiggy

Fantastic input. I'm glad to know that my future digital purchases will continue to not exist once future hardware is released because people didn't buy enough Wii Us and 3DSes.

Well, can you play your GBA games on your 3DS? I can't. Or can you play your Wii VC games on your 3DS? I can't. So it shouldn't really be a big issue as it's happened before. If the same games release on future platforms though, then I'd expect them to be available without any charge on my account. But Nintendo does not even offer that at the moment.

Honey Bunny

And yet ironically Nintendo is the only one of the big three this gen that allowed content from their previous generation systems to be played on their next generation system.

While I'd love for them to get their shit together and get a real account system going when presented with the option of either being able to play my content on multiple same generation systems or to carry that content with me to the next gen it's an easy decision which one I'd prefer.

You're confusing two different things. Backwards compatibility is a cost-benefit decision at the hardware level when designing a new system. A proper account structure is a software question that has no bearing on that decision and can be remedied at any point in a system's life.

You will never be presented with the "option of either being able to play my content on multiple same generation systems or to carry that content with me to the next" because those two do not affect each other in a direct way.

Though I know what you're getting at. You're trying to score points with the backwards compatibility feature of the Wii U as something progressive which the other companies do not offer. I'd actually argue that reliance on old tech to enable the backwards compatibility negatively affected the Wii U's prospects as a future-proof console and is such the opposite of a progressive decision. Nice to play some old games on the system though!

Fantastic input. I'm glad to know that my future digital purchases will continue to not exist once future hardware is released because people didn't buy enough Wii Us and 3DSes.

It couldn't be avoided due to the architecture change for Xbox and PlayStation. Nintendo is going to run into the same problems unless they plan on keeping the Wii U's ancient frankenstein architecture.

Lunar15

Nintendo really needs to get their digital offerings in line, particularly when it comes to having shared infrastructure between console and handheld. There's a lot of opportunity there, especially for Nintendo.

But yeah, years of frustrating online services have given them a horrible reputation in that area, and not just from the "hardcore". People just don't think digital when they think Nintendo, and as the market shifts towards that, it makes Nintendo look really unattractive.

It's possible that I'm optimistic about its potential, but 2DS, even if by overshipments, had an impact on sales at the end of last year, and that launched last October. Now, think about a DSi-like revision, going to substitute the OG 3DS, around its price (OG 3DS price would be cut as well), and launched in Japan as well (2DS only launched in US and Europe)...wouldn't that have a visible impact on overall sales for the period? Of course, it'd need to be more consistent after Holiday season, otherwise there will be a repeat of Q4 FY2013, with a very low shipment due to overstock in Q3.

I think the impact would be to balance out the incoming decline which still wouldn't get them to 12 million without a big overshipment. Basically what I'm saying is that they would have 1 good quarter. And Nintendo's q4s have been too erratic to count on a good hold.

I just think looking at the DS as an example here is flawed given the current market. Even the 2ds didn't beat the decline of the system last year.

There's no way 3DS hits anywhere near target, it only just got over 12M last year with a new Pokemon and the 2DS, and it's down significantly from last year. I think it will struggle to 60M now.
Of which 2.82M are MK8. Ridiculous.
I'm curious whether the units "sold" of the software accompanying MK8 purchase would also be included, in which case it accounts for even more of that number by proxy.

Unless you're expecting Nintendo to keep using the Wii U architecture for their new consoles, or spend the additional money to include Wii U hardware in their new consoles for backwards compatibility then you'll lose the ability to carry forward your digital games at some point.

Microsoft/Sony didn't block digital games from the 360/PS3 because they are horrible, their new consoles simply can't run those games and how they are coded.

Shiggy

There's no way 3DS hits anywhere near target, it only just got over 12M last year with a new Pokemon and the 2DS, and it's down significantly from last year. I think it will struggle to 60M now.
I'm curious whether the units "sold" of the software accompanying MK8 purchase would also be included, in which case it accounts for even more of that number by proxy.

Previously bundled software was also included. Technically, these games have been sold and costs for this marketing campaign need to be accounted for as marketing expenses.

phanphare

Banned
It would be nice, but I wouldn't say that it's almost certain. I can see 3DS games carrying over to the next handheld and Wii U games carrying over to the console, but the "unification" will likely start as they move forward with next gen. It will be interesting to see if they pull that $1.50 "upgrade fee" nonsense again.

we'll see but I sincerely doubt the next handheld will operate like you're implying considering how many times Nintendo has said their new hardware will use a unified architecture capable of absorbing the Wii U's architecture as well. those upgrade fees are a key example as to why they won't do as you suggest. developing a VC game for 3DS means that they would have to do it all over again, and charge money again, if they want it on another platform. with their future consoles absorbing the Wii U's architecture it gives them the opportunity to have the VC be forwards compatible on day 1 and also allows them to support cross buy without taking a hit.

Mpl90

They've sucked at doing forecasts for a lot longer than a year. They've proven to have no idea at all just how bad things are. I'm not sure why we should believe that has changed now. Here's Nintendo's recent record of forecasting operating income.

Code:
Forecast    May 7 2009     490
Revised    Oct 29 2009     370
Actual                     356

Forecast    May 6 2010     320
Revised    Sep 29 2010     210
Actual                     171

Forecast   Apr 25 2011     175
Revised    Jul 28 2011      35
Revised    Oct 27 2011       1
Revised    Jan 26 2012     (45)
Actual                     (37)

Forecast   Apr 26 2012      35
Revised    Oct 24 2012      20
Revised    Jan 30 2013     (20)
Actual                     (36)

Forecast   Apr 24 2013     100
Revised    Jan 17 2014     (35)
Actual                     (46)

While that's true, I still think that, this time, they're far less arrogant. Seriously, would you call 3.6 millions of Wii U for FY2014 an "arrogant" forecast? It's a very, veeery low forecast, based on FY2013 results but adjusted due to MK and Smash Bros. + other games coming. It can be reached. The same thinking went behind the 3DS forecast: based on FY2013 results but adjusted due to aging, Pokémon remake + Smash Bros. instead of Pokémin main + Zelda. I don't know if they'll reach that, and if there will be a revision, but the WiiU forecast make their "conservative" take far more believable than what happened in the last years, and even more last year; then, I suppose they'll do something about 3DS, just like they did something last year by releasing 2DS...so, a revision could happen. Not saying they'll surely reach the forecast even in that case, but I think they'll act in order to try to reach it.

Wii U sales on the rise.
3DS sales on decline.
MK8 has incredible sales.

10 Billion Yen (I think that must be about 100 Mio US Dollar or 73 Mio Euro) is not that worrisome. Knowing the fact that Nintendo put a lot of unexpected expenses in there. Will be interesting to see how the Wii U performs this holiday. I think it had the change to outsell both competitors worldwide (only on holiday, after holidays PS4 will be on top again, but Wii U will probably outsell Xbox One continuously) and that MK8 and Smash Bros will be two of the biggest game this holiday.

Gamewise the Wii U will have at least one good year ahead with exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devil's Third, Yoshi, Kirby, Zelda, Fatal Frame 5, Mario Party 10 and Splatoon (and probably some unannounced games). At least Nintendo doesn't drop the Wii U like inglorious Sony did with the Vita, but on the other hand the Wii U sales are better than Vita sales.

There is no new Nintendo Handheld needed. 3DS sales decline, software sales are good. Nintendo could easily live with 3DS two years more before releasing a successor.

This doesn't seem like a realistic assessment of the situation at all.

Good sales for Mario Kart. Everything else though... damn. Well WiiU is WiiU but even 3DS has joined the sub million per quarter club. 3DS shipments will probably rise though a bit next quarter as they have finally cleared the extra inventory from last holiday season but this holiday season could be brutal. Demand is falling and after last holiday season even retailers could be a bit wary about stocking too many 3DSs. That 12 million forecast is looking more and more insane.

MilesTeg

Banned
No way 3DS makes it's fiscal year forecast, unless Nintendo has the absolute sexiest revision planned. It would need to be ultra thin with decent size screens, black and white launch colors, at no more than $149. Even then 11 million is quite the stretch.

2DS has not revitalized the platform, which is not surprising in the least considering they cheaped out so hard on the design. If Nintendo doesn't have another revision planned, clearly they put too much faith in 2DS.

Wii U seems like it could hit the forecast but big deal. It's still a shit number. It could have done a lot better had Nintendo had a better software pipeline in store.

Nintendo certainly can't go on like this much longer which is why I've said before that I expect new handheld and console by holiday 2016.

Sakura

Wow excellent quarter for the Wii U compared to last year!
If the next couple quarters see the same amount of increase the Wii U will had a pretty dang good year!

Wow excellent quarter for the Wii U compared to last year!
If the next couple quarters see the same amount of increase the Wii U will had a pretty dang good year!

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

Freeman

Banned
Nintendo needs to rethink their entire strategy, they are holding back compelling software from being more successful due to their platform failure. MK8 sales are insane good, but all it does is show how they managed to isolate themselves in a corner(Nintendo hardware for Nintendo software), that is just not sustainable. Even if their games have a lower budget due to the less demanding system, they are bound to increase eventually.

To me there is no way the 3DS successor will be more successful and the 3DS is already a great stop down from the DS.

While that's true, I still think that, this time, they're far less arrogant. Seriously, would you call 3.6 millions of Wii U for FY2014 an "arrogant" forecast? It's a very, veeery low forecast, based on FY2013 results but adjusted due to MK and Smash Bros. + other games coming. It can be reached. The same thinking went behind the 3DS forecast: based on FY2013 results but adjusted due to aging, Pokémon remake + Smash Bros. instead of Pokémin main + Zelda. I don't know if they'll reach that, and if there will be a revision, but the WiiU forecast make their "conservative" take far more believable than what happened in the last years, and even more last year; then, I suppose they'll do something about 3DS, just like they did something last year by releasing 2DS...so, a revision could happen. Not saying they'll surely reach the forecast even in that case, but I think they'll act in order to try to reach it.
An essentially flat forecast is not conservative for the 3DS.

CYTD it's down over 40% in Japan and around 25% in the US through June.

It's not hitting that forecast without some unforeseen miracle.

I don't get why so many people think there will be a 3DS revision. We've already had three different models, and the original was the size of a DS Lite already. They hit $129 with the 2DS, people who didn't bite there aren't gonna spring for some hypothetical fourth model that, judging from most of your predictions on features, will cost more than that.

I dunno. It seems like there isn't really anywhere else to go with 3DS hardware revisions. Anything smaller than the original would be a bit ridiculous.

I don't get why so many people think there will be a 3DS revision. We've already had three different models, and the original was the size of a DS Lite already. They hit $129 with the 2DS, people who didn't bite there aren't gonna spring for some hypothetical fourth model that, judging from most of your predictions on features, will cost more than that.

I dunno. It seems like there isn't really anywhere else to go with 3DS hardware revisions. Anything smaller than the original would be a bit ridiculous.

Agreed barring some completely new design I really dont see a big market waiting for something even more expensive than the 2ds. Really nintendo needs to worry about software both physical and digital. They need to push out a greatest hits line of old games and make sure digital is the same price. Thr price for 3ds games is ridiculous and a sign of why the 3ds is collapsing.

Top Bottom