• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
An essentially flat forecast is not conservative for the 3DS.

CYTD it's down over 40% in Japan and around 25% in the US through June.

It's not hitting that forecast without some unforeseen miracle.

A good revision, being released later this year, in Japan as well (this is important; 2DS wasn't released in Japan) would help at least nearing those shipment forecasts. I think that, if they called them "conservative", there IS a reason. Or better, if they called them "conservative" and the Wii U forecast IS actually conservative (I mean, there is a proof about their conservative way of thinking), there is a reason.

A good revision, being released later this year, in Japan as well (this is important; 2DS wasn't released in Japan) would help at least nearing those shipment forecasts. I think that, if they called them "conservative", there IS a reason. Or better, if they called them "conservative" and the Wii U forecast IS actually conservative (I mean, there is a proof about their conservative way of thinking), there is a reason.

A conservative estimate can still be horribly wrong. Lets not forget that forecast was also made months ago.

SerodD

Isn't the 3ds numbers worryingly low for Nintedo?

I don't think so, there was nothing on the 3DS this year so far, those numbers make since, it will be back to where it should be when the new Pokemon and Smash come out and it will keep those numbers if Nintendo can keep launching games on the console that are actualy good.

It's kind of funny how most of the first page is about the high MK8 sales, but they're kind of ignoring the 100 m loss. That's not exactly potatoes...

Anyway not sure what else is coming out of the pipelne that will be reducing the hit aside from either continued MK8 sales or another Pokemon release.

Smash + Amiibo! Also isnt QOL releasing this year?

It's kind of funny how most of the first page is about the high MK8 sales, but they're kind of ignoring the 100 m loss. That's not exactly potatoes...

Anyway not sure what else is coming out of the pipelne that will be reducing the hit aside from either continued MK8 sales or another Pokemon release.

MilesTeg

Banned
I don't get why so many people think there will be a 3DS revision. We've already had three different models, and the original was the size of a DS Lite already. They hit $129 with the 2DS, people who didn't bite there aren't gonna spring for some hypothetical fourth model that, judging from most of your predictions on features, will cost more than that.

I dunno. It seems like there isn't really anywhere else to go with 3DS hardware revisions. Anything smaller than the original would be a bit ridiculous.

The 2DS is a joke of a model which in my opinion is not indicative of the market's need or want of a real new revision. It's ugly, has a poor name which probably just caused brand confusion, and it has not launched in Japan (because it would fail spectacularly).

The 2DS has not served to replace the OG or the XL on the market, and that's what they need. A revision that is the new standard model to buy, like the DS Lite was. It certainly doesn't help that the XL is still $199 two years later either.

Like I said, thinner, bigger screens than OG/2DS, $149 price. Japan is very clearly ready for a new model, and in my opinion so is the rest of the world.

It's not, there was nothing on the 3DS this year so far, those numbers make since, it will be back to where it should be when the new Pokemon and Smash come out and it will keep those numbers if Nintendo can keep launching games on the console that are actualy good.

Kirby is good :(

kirby-dance-o.gif

I mean look how happy he is.

Nintendo family: 1.42 million and MS family: 1.1 million. There is actually decent chance that PS4 shipped more last Q than all other consoles/handhelds put together....

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is the 2DS as cheap as Nintendo can go? Would a $50 system that doesn't have negative margin help? Otherwise how can they turn the handheld market around? Go big and expensive doesn't seem reasonable?

Well, can you play your GBA games on your 3DS? I can't. Or can you play your Wii VC games on your 3DS? I can't. So it shouldn't really be a big issue as it's happened before. If the same games release on future platforms though, then I'd expect them to be available without any charge on my account. But Nintendo does not even offer that at the moment.

You're confusing two different things. Backwards compatibility is a cost-benefit decision at the hardware level when designing a new system. A proper account structure is a software question that has no bearing on that decision and can be remedied at any point in a system's life.

You will never be presented with the "option of either being able to play my content on multiple same generation systems or to carry that content with me to the next" because those two do not affect each other in a direct way.

Though I know what you're getting at. You're trying to score points with the backwards compatibility feature of the Wii U as something progressive which the other companies do not offer. I'd actually argue that reliance on old tech to enable the backwards compatibility negatively affected the Wii U's prospects as a future-proof console and is such the opposite of a progressive decision. Nice to play some old games on the system though!

It couldn't be avoided due to the architecture change for Xbox and PlayStation. Nintendo is going to run into the same problems unless they plan on keeping the Wii U's ancient frankenstein architecture.

Unless you're expecting Nintendo to keep using the Wii U architecture for their new consoles, or spend the additional money to include Wii U hardware in their new consoles for backwards compatibility then you'll lose the ability to carry forward your digital games at some point.

Microsoft/Sony didn't block digital games from the 360/PS3 because they are horrible, their new consoles simply can't run those games and how they are coded.
Sorry for the massive quote but it was easier to address all of these points at once. My goal isn't to "score points" or defend Nintendo's backwards practices but to point out the fallacy that the current account structure offered by the other console makers actually means anything. It's not about backwards compatibility it's about forward compatibility.

Without even getting into whether or not the architecture change argument is technically valid what's the excuse for my PSN purchases to not carry over to PSNow? As I asked yesterday what was even the point of me carrying over my PSN account to my PS4 when I could have created a new one and gotten a fresh PSN ID to go with it?

I don't want to deflect attention from Nintendo's shortcomings as they still have a long way to go but on the front of allowing something close to actual ownership of your digital content they are way ahead of the game.

Nope. You can deactivate machines online for all of the services you listed.

You can deactivate Apple devices you no longer own on the website, no phone call is required. It's easy as pie. Don't even pretend anyone has as backwards a system as Nintendo.

I can agree with that. I'm just saying that, barring one NNID per console, the DRM is exactly the same. Upping the activation limit and making deauthorization available online is a trivial thing to implement and it doesn't need a new hardware revision.

Sakura

Huh, I had no idea. Was there any reason given for that?

Not sure, but from my view the 2DS seemed like it was designed with a western focus. Cheap model for parents to buy their kids.
There hasn't really been a 3DS revision yet that replaces the previous model. As far as I'm aware, all 3 model are available in the west on shelves, and in Japan the 2 models are available.
So I could see them coming out with one new model to rule them all, or something, and Japan is ready for a new model any way. But at the same time I'm not sure how they could improve it much other than getting it cheaper.

Mpl90

A 3DS SKU being in-between OG 3DS and 3DS XL in terms of console and screens size, with a sleeker design, NFC included, maybe a little more powerful (like DSi compared to DS) for better OS functions, at 169.99 (i.e. substituting 3DS OG) would be attractive for the market (I mean, such revisions have always an audience, otherwise we wouldn't have seen GBA SP/DS Lite/DSi or all the Slim consoles) especially if released alongside Smash Bros. in US/EU and Monster Hunter 4G in Japan...yeah, I see October as a good release period for it.

The reason is: they don't want to spook investors with the reality that they'll likely be down to something like 7-9M 3DSs, because there are significant forces external to their control that have impacted the dedicated handheld market, while their home console line is still in shambles, which together amounts to declining revenues and throws a big spanner in the works on the whole return to profitability.

emb

I don't think the losses were listed as prominently when the topic was first made. Later down the page someone says they should be added.

As for what's coming, the elephant in the room is Smash Bros. Hyrule Warriors might have some affect in Japan too. Then there's Splatoon next year, supposedly in the first half. It's kind of a wild card, though I doubt it's turning anything around.

KooopaKid

Banned
Nintendo hasn't released anything major on 3DS since ALBW and the biggest games this year are 1 "port" and 2 remakes :(
I haven't touched my 3DS since Steel Diver Sub Wars...

z0m3le

Banned
10 million is a safe bet, 12 million if miracles exist

3DS will cap at 60 mil

Wii U will probably hit its forecast, possibly by the end of the calendar year (it's pretty conservative at 3.6m) Wii U is tracking 350k above this time last year, which managed to do 2.9 Million on an abysmal software lineup that makes this year's look like the height of the PS2 calendar.

So 10m is a complete joke, told by Dane Cook, as Wii U should pass 10m spring next year.

2015 will likely be its strongest selling year, not by too much, but I imagine 4 million for 2015 is a nice safe number (remember there is likely a price drop for the Wii U in 2015 as well) leaving the Wii U just shy of 14m by the end of 2015(fy) if the next 2 years lose 50% YOY, you'd see it at around 17m by 2017, This just takes into account Wii U not really having any surprises and amiibo being a complete bust as a system seller (which it might be). People who think it will outsell Gamecube, expect Wii U to have a surprise system seller or two, it might just do that but ending short of 15m is extremely unlikely, even more unlikely than it passing Gamecube numbers IMO.

Mpl90

The reason is: they don't want to spook investors with the reality that they'll likely be down to something like 7-9M 3DSs, because there are significant forces external to their control that have impacted the dedicated handheld market, while their home console line is still in shambles, which together amounts to declining revenues and throws a big spanner in the works on the whole return to profitability.

If that's the case, then they would've have had something like 6 millions for Wii U, not 3,6. Or 3,600,000 in FY2014 isn't spooky for unknown reasons?

Without even getting into whether or not the architecture change argument is technically valid what's the excuse for my PSN purchases to not carry over to PSNow? As I asked yesterday what was even the point of me carrying over my PSN account to my PS4 when I could have created a new one and gotten a fresh PSN ID to go with it?

There is still games that carry over. Mainly new ones but there is a digital ecosystem in place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gb - april 1989
gb pocket - july 1996
gb light - april 1998
gbc - october 1998

gba - march 2001
gba sp - february 2003
gba sp+ - september 2005
gb micro - september 2005

ds - november 2004
ds lite - march 2006
dsi - november 2008
dsi xl - november 2009

3ds - february 2011
3ds xl - july 2012
2ds - october 2013

other than special cases like the GB micro (which can be argued not to be a mainline GB console), it looks like Nintendo leaves some space before their new consoles. So if there is a 4DS coming around the end of 2015/early 2016, history would suggest they wouldn't bother with another 3DS revision.

The 2DS is a joke of a model which in my opinion is not indicative of the market's need or want of a real new revision. It's ugly, has a poor name which probably just caused brand confusion, and it has not launched in Japan (because it would fail spectacularly).

The 2DS has not served to replace the OG or the XL on the market, and that's what they need. A revision that is the new standard model to buy, like the DS Lite was. It certainly doesn't help that the XL is still $199 two years later either.

Like I said, thinner, bigger screens than OG/2DS, $149 price. Japan is very clearly ready for a new model, and in my opinion so is the rest of the world.

The 2DS wasn't made to become the de-facto system model, it's there to put hardware in the hands of people who 1) didn't care about the 3D effect and 2) had a problem with the pricing of the other two models. The original 3DS is plenty portable, and the XL has the bigger screens and more comfortable form factor. The bases are all covered: releasing some in-betweener model just doesn't make sense.

A price drop across the board on the other models, I can see happening.

But it's Nintendo, who the fuck knows what fhey'll do.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
My dream is that one day SONY and Nintendo merge together (Square-Enix style) and I would have the best of both worlds such as Sony's Hardware and Infrastructure along with Nintendo's Software Line but I know that's unlikely to happen.Speaking for myself only I guess I'm no longer Nintendo's targeted audience because I lost mostly all interest in their offerings.I already gave my Wii U away in the beginning of the year(which the only game I ever owned for it was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate) and my 3DS collection sits at only 5 titles (6 if you count Mario Kart 7 that came with the XL) so maybe they will rekindle my interest once they roll out new hardware (or not).

Does it seem more likely Nintendo will show off a new handheld early next year?

I think they'll want to play their hand closer to the chest this go around and unveil closer to release (mid 2016). Next year is a big year for Wii U. They need to focus on converting 3DS users to Wii Users.

And don't forget QoL for the expanded audience...

Nintendo hasn't released anything major on 3DS since ALBW and the biggest games this year are 1 "port" and 2 remakes :(

What's the point in trying to marginalize what's there? Smash has the potential to be something and at the very least Pokemon always sells gangbusters.

Tobor

I can agree with that. I'm just saying that, barring one NNID per console, the DRM is exactly the same. Upping the activation limit and making deauthorization available online is a trivial thing to implement and it doesn't need a new hardware revision.

It's trivial for every company not named Nintendo.

MilesTeg

Banned
Does it seem more likely Nintendo will show off a new handheld early next year?

Given that they plan to have unified OS with their next console, I feel it's a bit premature. They need a unified storefront with their next console, real account system, some sort of virtual console service (that again, also works for their next console) and of course, new games.

It would also seem a bit risky to me to replace their handheld so long before their home console when it's still selling better than their home console. After all, they do have around a 45 million userbase there to sell games to.

However Nintendo is no stranger to rushing consoles out the door, and right now 2015 software is looking very thin, like it typically does when Nintendo is close to launching new hardware. I guess they could ship holiday 2015 with the "finish it later" mentality if they got a couple big launch games, however I'm not sure that is the right path. Nintendo needs to be ready next time, and considering their unified OS plans, they would do well to get it right at launch.

z0m3le

Banned
other than special cases like the GB micro (which can be argued not to be a mainline GB console), it looks like Nintendo leaves some space before their new consoles. So if there is a 4DS coming around the end of 2015/early 2016, history would suggest they wouldn't bother with another 3DS revision.

Honestly what they need to do is a small revision of the original 3DS but remove the 3D and sell it for $129, putting the XL out at $149 without the 3D would also help move sales, dropping the 2DS to $99 officially, would help $79 sales during holidays to give it a chance to take off.

DS prices haven't been hit yet, so there is some room for growth (the 2DS is arguably the worst redesign in history, but for $80 holiday sales, it could definitely help boost the YoY numbers)

Also depending on how big the Smash community is for a Nintendo handheld, it is worth noting that it is a multiplayer game mostly and lots of house holds probably have 1 3DS, it could be a fairly nice system seller. I personally am planning to pick up 2 more (an XL for my wife and a 2DS for friends) I'm obviously not the average gamer, but I do believe that Smash players will at least think about picking up another 2/3DS for smash, and I don't believe the Smash community already largely owns a 3DS.

Shiggy

Wii U will probably hit its forecast, possibly by the end of the calendar year (it's pretty conservative at 3.6m) Wii U is tracking 350k above this time last year, which managed to do 2.9 Million on an abysmal software lineup that makes this year's look like the height of the PS2 calendar.

So 10m is a complete joke, told by Dane Cook, as Wii U should pass 10m spring next year.

2015 will likely be its strongest selling year, not by too much, but I imagine 4 million for 2015 is a nice safe number (remember there is likely a price drop for the Wii U in 2015 as well) leaving the Wii U just shy of 14m by the end of 2015(fy) if the next 2 years lose 50% YOY, you'd see it at around 17m by 2017, This just takes into account Wii U not really having any surprises and amiibo being a complete bust as a system seller (which it might be). People who think it will outsell Gamecube, expect Wii U to have a surprise system seller or two, it might just do that but ending short of 15m is extremely unlikely, even more unlikely than it passing Gamecube numbers IMO.

Why would that happen when their "heavy" hitters (Mario Kart and SSB) are coming this year?

If that's the case, then they would've have had something like 6 millions for Wii U, not 3,6. Or 3,600,000 in FY2014 isn't spooky for unknown reasons?
You don't see the difference between "We forecast our ailing product will see an increase in unit sales year over year." and "We forecast our (somewhat) successful handheld product and the major source of our income will see a major decline."

Also people are focusing on the HW and HW forecast, without noting the software is down Y/Y, and the forecast is only 890K off from their last FY result, which again, isn't conservative.

-----

Note to any mod: Title should read FY15, I believe.

Opiate

As another note, something I've said before: I feel that Nintendo fans are doing Nintendo a strong disservice by defending their current products.

I don't mean that fans should never defend products, but that they should only do so when it makes sense -- when it helps the company that makes the product stay on the "right track," the track consumers like.

That's clearly not the situation we're in right now, however. Nintendo's products are not pleasing consumers right now. It's been decades since they sold less hardware than they currently are. These numbers make it clear that Nintendo's current strategy is deeply and profoundly flawed. They need to dramatically rethink their strategy -- and quite possibly in ways that many people here don't like -- in order to change the trajectory they are now on.

And every vociferous defense of Nintendo slows this process down. The first step in changing the trajectory is saying, "Okay, Nintendo have really, really fucked up." That's the starting point. If you can't admit that much, then you can't even get started.

Atrocious numbers. I can't believe people are defending another loss. Amiibo is the only thing that could save them now, considering they have nothing else coming out until 2015.

MilesTeg

Banned
The 2DS wasn't made to become the de-facto system model, it's there to put hardware in the hands of people who 1) didn't care about the 3D effect and 2) had a problem with the pricing of the other two models. The original 3DS is plenty portable, and the XL has the bigger screens and more comfortable form factor. The bases are all covered: releasing some in-betweener model just doesn't make sense.

A price drop across the board on the other models, I can see happening.

But it's Nintendo, who the fuck knows what fhey'll do.

The 2DS was made to offer a low cost model that Nintendo also profits on. It was given decent marketing, launched with Pokemon. Nintendo even says "for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS" in their marketing. Clearly Nintendo had some sort of expectations for the model and I think it's fair to say it has not performed to their expectations.

Also, the OG isn't really stocked anymore, at least around me, so a tweener model does make sense, considering 2DS is regularly on sale for $99 and the XL is $199.

JoeM86

As another note, something I've said before: I feel that Nintendo fans are doing Nintendo a strong disservice by defending their current products.

I don't mean that fans should never defend products, but that they should only do so when it makes sense -- when it helps the company that makes the product stay on the "right track," the track consumers like.

That's clearly not the situation we're in right now, however. Nintendo's products are not pleasing consumers right now. It's been decades since they sold less hardware than they currently are. These numbers make it clear that Nintendo's current strategy is deeply and profoundly flawed. They need to dramatically rethink their strategy -- and quite possibly in ways that many people here don't like -- in order to change the trajectory they are now on.

And every vociferous defense of Nintendo slows this process down. The first step in changing the trajectory is saying, "Okay, Nintendo have really, really fucked up." That's the starting point. If you can't admit that much, then you can't even get started.
You do realise that some fans, myself include, really like their current products and feel people are being a bit overzealous in their criticism of it, right?

I have been gaming all my life, have all consoles released since the late 80s (not Xbox One/PS4 yet, but have spent considerable time on them) and despite that, I love my Wii U and my 3DS above all their predecessors. I fail to see how I am doing the company a disservice by stating how much I enjoy it and how I don't feel they're as flawed as some are making them out to be.

z0m3le

Banned
Why would that happen when their "heavy" hitters (Mario Kart and SSB) are coming this year?

The wasted months without MK8 and Smash propelling the console won't exist next year, MK8 and its bundle will likely continue to sell the system in 2015 as it has this year, less drought and an expected price drop, should all help Wii U 2015 outsell this year.

Mpl90

You don't see the difference between "We forecast our ailing product will see an increase in unit sales year over year." and "We forecast our (somewhat) successful handheld product and the major source of our income will see a major decline."

Also people are focusing on the HW and HW forecast, without noting the software is down Y/Y, and the forecast is only 890K off from their last FY result, which again, isn't conservative.

-----

Note to any mod: Title should read FY15, I believe.

Mmh...ok, now I see your point. Still, I'd say that, given the "conservative" way of thinking demonstrated by Wii U estimates, behind 3DS estimates as well, they are thinking about something else besides the current lineup, i.e. a new revision helping in hardware sales. I say that would help in reaching the forecasts numbers, but it's possible that actual sales will still fall short despite the new revision; still, I think they're going to release that because that would mean acting in order to reach a forecast based on last year's event (Pokémon main, Zelda, 2DS) + this year's known (Pokémon remake, Smash Bros.) and unknown (revision?)events, alongside other factors (aging).

emb

I feel like this assumes that, as a Nintendo fan, I should be most interested in Nintendo making more money. I'd love to see them do well, but I don't have any money tied up in the company. I won't profit if they make money by changing their products and business in ways I dislike.

Honestly what they need to do is a small revision of the original 3DS but remove the 3D and sell it for $129, putting the XL out at $149 without the 3D would also help move sales, dropping the 2DS to $99 officially, would help $79 sales during holidays to give it a chance to take off.

DS prices haven't been hit yet, so there is some room for growth (the 2DS is arguably the worst redesign in history, but for $80 holiday sales, it could definitely help boost the YoY numbers)

Also depending on how big the Smash community is for a Nintendo handheld, it is worth noting that it is a multiplayer game mostly and lots of house holds probably have 1 3DS, it could be a fairly nice system seller. I personally am planning to pick up 2 more (an XL for my wife and a 2DS for friends) I'm obviously not the average gamer, but I do believe that Smash players will at least think about picking up another 2/3DS for smash, and I don't believe the Smash community already largely owns a 3DS.

You know my thoughts on the form-factor z0m, but I still find it hilarious that our opinions can be so exactly opposite. From all reports of people who have tried the thing, the 2DS is a very comfortable and well-built device. The sea green version is also quite pretty. I want one.

If anything, I'd like a revision that keeps the 3D and XL screen size, but puts them in a 2DS slate design for the enhanced ergonomics.

Opiate

You do realise that some fans, myself include, really like their current products and feel people are being a bit overzealous in their criticism of it, right?

I have been gaming all my life, have all consoles released since the late 80s (not Xbox One/PS4 yet, but have spent considerable time on them) and despite that, I love my Wii U and my 3DS above all their predecessors. I fail to see how I am doing the company a disservice by stating how much I enjoy it and how I don't feel they're as flawed as some are making them out to be.

The trajectory you apparently enjoy so much is killing the company. If you don't care if Nintendo dies, that's fine.

I feel like this assumes that, as a Nintendo fan, I should be most interested in Nintendo making more money. I'd love to see them do well, but I don't have any money tied up in the company. I won't profit if they make money by changing their products and business in ways I dislike.

It assumes you don't want them to die, yes. If you'd rather get exactly what you want today even if that means the companies fails and you can't get anything at all tomorrow, then be my guest, I suppose.

JoeM86

The trajectory you apparently enjoy so much is killing the company. If you don't care if Nintendo dies, that's fine.

The alternative is a "me too" company heading for an industry wide crash again.

Pass :p

Seriously, though. People are being ridiculous in their criticisms. Holding minor things as if it's a massive huge error that should have people shot for doing.

Do we really want a third, near identical console? I'd much rather Nintendo stick to taking risks. That's what we like them for, and they took a risk for the Wii U and for the second time ever in their company's gaming history, it didn't pay off. It happens.

Mpl90

Fortunately, it seems they're rethinking their strategy, and probably deeply too. Still, we'll see it in the next two years, so it can't and won't be an overnight change.

Opiate

The alternative is a "me too" company heading for an industry wide crash again.

Pass :p

I don't think that's the only alternative. Surely we can agree there is some space between Nintendo's current approach and exactly mimicking Xbox/Playstation. Saying Nintendo's current approach isn't working is different from saying they must do exactly what Sony is doing.

The Wii was a great example of that; clearly, it's possible to create a "different" console which is enormously popular. It's possible to do, the Wii U just isn't it.

Atrocious numbers. I can't believe people are defending another loss. Amiibo is the only thing that could save them now, considering they have nothing else coming out until 2015.

These statements are made without any qualifiers whatsoever regarding what makes a business succeed / totally fail, what factors into a stock price, or what the numbers mean.

As such, I think you need to step back a bit.

Top Bottom