• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Vice

Considering they've had 3 three years with the gamepad and still haven't came up with a good idea on how to use it, I wouldn't get too excited.

They do have the dozens of ideas they came up with on the DS and 3DS that use the touch screen well.

jaosobno

888.gif

Seriously, I'm fine with them entering mobile market as long as they use it to bring people to their hardware.

NEO0MJ

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

tumblr_mda91vsBEg1qghl49o1_r1_500.gif

Though seriously, whoa. This is major news. Nintendo were in a tight spot and despite what fans might think they won't risk spiraling downwards further over going mobile. This should also help make their IPs more recognizable, might give their consoles a boost.

Probably going to be like the Mario edutainment titles on PC many moons ago, as in they'll provide a different service from what is found on the main Nintendo systems. A way of getting their brand into the consciousness of those who don't pay much attention to Nintendo.

"intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business
only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system."

Yeah this is pretty much expected.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is the end of Nintendo. Just like how the iOS version of Fat Princess and Run Sackboy Run killed Playstation.

I never thought that it would be that fast. Didn't we hear about how mobile games would devalue their brand only a couple of years ago?

At least now I get to actually observe how people react to this.

xandaca

Makes sense from a business perspective, though it remains to be seen exactly what these games will be. I doubt, for instance, that there'll be a 'real' Mario or Zelda at any point as much as more stuff like Puzzles & Dragons with a Mario skin. I've always been a little surprised they never put their old NES (and maybe SNES) games on mobile, as given how many people pirate those easily, it seems a good way of cashing in on them, introducing the characters to players who might otherwise not be interested while teasing the full experience on consoles/handheld.

Golnei

i thought they were developing a next gen console.

I'd imagine they were only making those statements for PR reasons. Any software being developed for the proposed successor platforms to the 3DS and Wii U was likely nascent enough to easily transition to mobile.

crying.gif

The final bastion has fallen, all hope is lost.

If it's just candy crush or Bejeweled clones with Ninty characters then that's good; easy money and visibility which lets them be even more experimental

JNA

Banned
Honestly? Good.

Nintendo was almost literally leaving huge piles of money on the table with Pokemon Mobile. This needed to happen.

Than again, Pokemon Mobile still might not happen but it should if they want money. :p

ZeroX03

Banned
The company has announced that it will team up with DeNA, a major Japanese mobile gaming company, to make smartphone games featuring Nintendo characters.

Doesn't sound like they're shifting to mobile development, sounds like they're using externally developed mobile titles to as a way to increase brand exposure. Like what Pokemon is already doing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hell, I wish they went third-party so I could play the occasional interesting nintendo game without having to buy sub-par hardware to do it.

Listening to this press conference, it seems like Nintendo has at least done their research and understands what the mobile landscape is like. Whether or not that translates into good products remains to be seen.

Doesn't sound like they're shifting to mobile development, sounds like they're using externally developed mobile titles to as a way to increase brand exposure. Like what Pokemon is already doing.

It's hard to say. Some of the language makes this sound like licensing, others make it sound like in-house Nintendo talent will be working on mobile titles.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo was almost literally leaving huge piles of money on the table with Pokemon Mobile. This needed to happen.
Except Pokémon Mobile is Game Freak's call, which is why we've already seen Pokémon games on mobile devices.

This was inevitable. It's funny to see Iwata finally capitulate, after repeatedly stressing Nintendo would never make real games for mobile.

But this is not necessarily a bad thing, either.

If their mobile games are really successful, maybe they'll have more funding to make even greater experiences (and hopefully with less delays / droughts) on their traditional platforms. At least, that's the theory.

But then again, Wii made them mad cash and their platforms still experienced droughts despite that. So who knows. The next several years for this company will be really interesting to watch unfold.

Hell, I wish they went third-party so I could play the occasional interesting nintendo game without having to buy sub-par hardware to do it.
You don't need to anymore. Play the latest Nintendo IPs on your smartphone soon!

I honestly love my Wii U & 3DS combo.

jaosobno

their new console canceled? nintendo will now focus on mobile games?

C'mon buddy. You seriously think that corporation like Nintendo would bet its entire future on a super volatile mobile market?

They'll likely use it to:

- appease their shareholders/investors
- as a source of extra profit
- as means to introduce today's young generations to their IPs. Let's face it, we grew up with Mario, Link, Samus and others, today's generations grow up with pissed off birds, candies, endless runners, etc. and feel no pull towards Nintendo IPs. Nintendo needs to change this ASAP.
- as bait&hook to bring gamers to their dedicated hardware

Dedicated Nintendo will happen.

JNA

Banned
Oh hey, that smug opinion. You fucking bastards. Maybe I shouldn't Gaf while suicidal but people like you make me sick.

Video games are not life and death man.

If I can go on living knowing that KOTOR 3 will never happen because of that asinine MMO game, you can too! :D

Macrotus

I have a feeling that this will encourage even more Japanese developers to make mobile phone game development a priority... :(

So they're not gonna port games and they're going to try and make original experiences on smart phones.

Seems reasonable to me. No shitty ports with awful fake d-pads.

Top Bottom