• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hits a Metroid fansite with a DMCA Takedown notice, file no longer hosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is obvious

they're not going to let you put out a free remake of a game they're still selling without fighting it

Nerrel

"Here’s a true story... some Nintendo executives took a tour of Neogaf. One of them noticed the Metroid posts everywhere and said,‘Hey that’s great.. We own Metroid, right?’"

Mory Dunz

Let this be a reminder to people who want to do projects on other companies IP's.

You announce it as a little side thing, go silent, drop the release without notice so when the DMCA hammer comes down on you it's already out in the open.

and why would "this" be a reminder

This guy is a totally unreliable source.

He said:
That’s the first oddity, so onto the second, which is regarding the name of the supposed “Lawyer”, Brian Sniffen. Despite numerous internet searches, I found ZERO trace of this guy on the entire internet. ZERO!

Geee!! Did you try searching the Oregon State Bar Association? Y'know, that place where real lawyers have to be registered??

edit: For some reason my screencap isn't working. Find it here: http://i.imgur.com/UWdgDxw.jpg

UWdgDxw.jpg

Yeah, sure. "ZERO trace" Try again, kid.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm not sure if I understand the situation correctly here, but if Nintendo is stopping one source from hosting the game, isn't it possible that they will also go straight for the original source too?

I'm not sure if I understand the situation correctly here, but if Nintendo is stopping one source from hosting the game, isn't it possible that they will also go straight for the original source too?

Entirely possible. But for the time being, nothing has happened and people are going into it thinking it already has.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Nintendo are NOT going after AM2R. This has been public for goddamn ever. Nintendo don't have a history of shutting down FREE fangames,

They went after this site for unknown reasons

rekameohs

Banned
This entire story is just bizarre. A fangame that's been worked on for a decade and even has a demo prior to release gets a a C&D after release, but not on the site it was originally released on, but some fansite for Metroid that just made a news post referencing the releases and posting the links that were provided. A day later, the fansite's twitter announces that the links have to go down, but for a full two hours their news post is completely untouched and has the links available, and then the entire site suddenly goes offline.
It's almost like Nintendo finally realized that Metroid Database exists (and has for 20 years!!) and had a store and coincidentally went after it the day after the fangame released. But then again, they specifically cite the game's zip file in the letter linked in the article. IDK

well i downloaded that shit yesterday so i'm good

also LMAO at people in the other thread giving the backhand to those that mentioned C&D

giphy.gif

MegaByte

Re: the conspiracy theories about the file only being taken down on MDb:

It was taken off of other mirrors as well. DMCA takedown requests are serviced manually; Nintendo doesn't have a magic wand. I removed it for MDb to protect the other users of the server and was given 72 hours to do so. The remaining sites like MediaFire will likely go down as the requests are reviewed by the respective hosts. Given the specific request for only the game itself to be taken down, it's not clear what will happen to the AM2R blog, but it seems MDb as a fan site is still fine. I understand MDb will be contacting the law firm on Monday to verify whether the request is legitimate.

Re: the conspiracy theories about the file only being taken down on MDb:

It was taken off of other mirrors as well. DMCA takedown requests are serviced manually; Nintendo doesn't have a magic wand. I removed it for MDb to protect the other users of the server and was given 72 hours to do so. The remaining sites like MediaFire will likely go down as the requests are reviewed by the respective hosts.

For now, all the download sites provided on the dev blog are active, so it's best to get them fast.

Lol scum Nintendo.

Good times with drive-bys.

Nairume

Banned
It's not ideal but it's impossible to "un-release" something on the internet. Streisand effect. So if that's how it's gotta be, I'll accept it. It's certainly better than Square Enix shutting down every notable Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest fan project before their times. I'm not even a huge fan of any of those series, but as someone with roots in the fangame community, that makes my blood boil.

Fuck Square Enix, is what I'm saying.
Even then, the vast majority of FF/CT/DQ fan projects have actually survived compared to the very very few that have been C&D'd.

And even the C&D'd projects typically have other circumstances behind them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well...Other M was SUPPOSED to be 2D...until Team Ninja convinced him to make it 3D.

Chew on that possibility for a while.

Wasn't it the reverse? Pretty sure Team Ninja wanted nunchuck controls too but Sakamoto was all "NO MAKE IT LIEK CLASSIC METROID. The kind that plays itself and has shitty controls"

well i downloaded that shit yesterday so i'm good

also LMAO at people in the other thread giving the backhand to those that mentioned C&D

giphy.gif

So you're laughing at people who were and are still right? And would still be right even if Nintendo did go after the original source at this point?

what is this idiocy

Mother 4 is gonna have one hell of a time when it finally comes out. Itoi wont be there to help them either.

Nah, man. Mother 4 uses no copyright protected material aside from the name.
Everything in this game is original. I'm pretty sure they're making it with the possibility in mind of simply being able to rename it and maybe swap out some assets so it can get released and experienced no problem.

AM2R on the other hand does use many assets from various Metroid games, both in terms of graphics and sound.

Also while going after a free fan game that creates no profit whatsoever is still a trrible thing to do, please be reminded that it really isn't actually Nintendo taking action here but a law firm acting on Nintendo's behalf.
Nintendo themselves may not even be aware of this takedown.

KingBroly

Banned
Wasn't it the reverse? Pretty sure Team Ninja wanted nunchuck controls too but Sakamoto was all "NO MAKE IT LIEK CLASSIC METROID. The kind that plays itself and has shitty controls"

That came after. The game was being planned/designed as a 2D Metroid game, then Team Ninja made a pitch to make it 3D, Sakamoto approved, then TN went and tried to make it with the Nunchuck despite showing it off using the Wii Remote. Then Sakamoto almost shut the project down.

Opa-Pa

Well, al that's left is wait until tomorrow and see if the dev team has received any letters I guess. Still, I don't see how is "impulsive" or unreasonable to believe they did, but at the same time people making fun of the ones saying there weren't gonna be any issues is lame because yes, they did have a point even if AM2R ends up getting down entirely.

I remember reading some interviews about it (Iwata Asks, I think?) and Sakamoto wanted to make the game "on rails" and Team Ninja convinced him to make it with more liberty and action. Not sure if it was initially all 2D tho. But hell, pretty much everything decent in the game is thanks to TN, if it wasn't for them Other M would be even worse. Reading up Sakamoto's scrapped ideas for the project is genuinely bizarre coming from a seasoned designer.

KingBroly

Banned
Well, al that's left is wait until tomorrow and see if the dev team has received any letters I guess. Still, I don't see how is "impulsive" or unreasonable to believe they did, but at the same time people making fun of the ones saying there weren't gonna be any issues is lame because yes, they did have a point even if AM2R ends up getting down entirely.

I remember reading some interviews about it (Iwata Asks, I think?) and Sakamoto wanted to make the game "on rails" and Team Ninja convinced him to make it with more liberty and action. Hell, pretty much everything decent in the game is thanks to TN, if it wasn't for them Other M would be even worse. Reading up Sakamoto's scrapped ideas for the project is genuinely bizarre coming from a seasoned designer.

The on-rails part was a mistranslation by Kotaku, and has been pointed out SEVERAL times before that it means side-scroller/2D.

Opa-Pa

^I stand corrected then. I always had the impression that Team Ninja rescued Other M from being even worse, and while that's true... I guess they still started the fire by pitching a 3D game to begin with. That's tragic lol.

just saw the latest twitter post. eh guess we'll find out later today. too late for nintendo anyway if true.

So you're laughing at people who were and are still right?

And would still be right even if Nintendo did go after the original source at this point?

lol dumbass edit. should have left the original post as it was. i mean you were wrong regardless but it looks like you hit reply then started sweatin a second later. doesn't matter if you think they're right because nintendo doesn't go after shitty ass SMW rom hacks. doesn't change the fact that the metroid fan site link got taken down

and that's funny.

Instro

My general understanding was that Sakamoto originally wanted a purely 2D/2.5D sidescroller that would be controlled with the wiimote held sideways. Team Ninja convinced him to make it with more 3rd person stuff, etc., etc., but he still wanted to keep simplistic control scheme.

Nope. Sakamoto wanted the game to be like Pandemonium!/Klonoa. Team Ninja wouldn't budge on the the game not being 3D and Sakamoto wouldn't budge on the control scheme. The two ideas were at odds with each other and that's a big part of why Other M's gameplay could never reach it's potential.

just saw the latest twitter post. eh guess we'll find out later today. too late for nintendo anyway if true.

lol dumbass edit. should have left the original post as it was. i mean you were wrong regardless but it looks like you hit reply then started sweatin a second later. doesn't matter if you think they're right because nintendo doesn't go after shitty ass SMW rom hacks. doesn't change the fact that the metroid fan site link got taken down

and that's funny.

No, I wasn't wrong and I edited specifically to further drive home the point that I couldn't be regardless of what happened. People were spamming "lol C&D" shit like worthless idiots as if the game would be prevented from being made and released and that didn't happen period. This isn't up for discussion. The game is stiil available.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, this guy DID make a better Metroid game than the Federation thing Nintendo is releasing.

Not surprised. Metroid II is still for sale on virtual console.
It's not the same game, it's not the same content.

-Reggie

gafneo

Banned
Nintendo has realized how epic the project was and had to prevent something this good from being free. Here's hoping this becomes availible as a liscenced Nintendo property or the team gets hired to work on an official Metroid.

Rich!

Oh that's rich Nintendo.
Rich! I tell ya.

The file is still up. The post is still up. Neither have been removed from Metroid database or the official blog. But no, call me out. Whatever. I don't give a fuck.

Fucking hell. I swear, every fangame thread is ruined by driveby shitposting about cease and desists. It's utterly depressing to see hard work being dismissed by people who seemingly just want to see it fail. I made a post in the initial AM2R thread that showed evidence that pretty much way over half of the posts in a multiple page thread purely consisted of LOL C&D INCOMING. It's absolutely infuriating.

It's like the emulation threads here on neogaf - try and find one that doesn't devolve into driveby shitposts about piracy and misconceptions about emulation being illegal.

Fuck it, who gives a fuck. Next time a fangame thread comes up, I'll simply participate somewhere else.

The file is still up. The post is still up. Neither have been removed from Metroid database or the official blog. But no, call me out. Whatever. I don't give a fuck.

Fucking hell. I swear, every fangame thread is ruined by driveby shitposting about cease and desists. It's utterly depressing to see hard work being dismissed by people who seemingly just want to see it fail.

It's like the emulation threads here on neogaf - try and find one that doesn't devolve into driveby shitposts about piracy and misconceptions about emulation being illegal.

Fuck it, who gives a fuck. Next time a fangame thread comes up, I'll simply participate somewhere else.

Easy, easy, was just a joke >.<

Mory Dunz

Fucking hell. I swear, every fangame thread is ruined by driveby shitposting about cease and desists. It's utterly depressing to see hard work being dismissed by people who seemingly just want to see it fail.

pretty much. It's like a cycle

Then people will ask for examples of fan games not taken down, etc.
And when it gets answered they're nowhere to be seen.

Htown

Fucking hell. I swear, every fangame thread is ruined by driveby shitposting about cease and desists. It's utterly depressing to see hard work being dismissed by people who seemingly just want to see it fail. I made a post in the initial AM2R thread that showed evidence that pretty much way over half of the posts in a multiple page thread purely consisted of LOL C&D INCOMING. It's absolutely infuriating.
Nobody wants to see it fail. I downloaded the game myself as soon as it was up.

But if you release a free version of a game Nintendo is currently selling, you are fooling yourself if you don't think you're going to hear from them.

marmoka

Banned
Great!! We cannot even celebrate the Metroid anniversary on our own. Aparently Nintendo wants us to buy a crappy and horrible game, instead of enjoying an awesome free fan remake.

Too late Nintendo, this won't make any of us stop playing the game, and if we cannot download it directly, we will find some other ways to get it somehow around the internet.

Screw you Ninty.

Htown

But it isn't. It's not Metroid 2. If they released a 1:1 port such as the recent PC version of SMB you would have a point!

Maybe you're right. We'll see how it all shakes out. Hopefully Nintendo decides to leave it alone, but I doubt it.

Dremark

Banned
From what I understand, Nintendo has to take some legal action in order to protect its property.
Of course they know it cannot be stopped, that's probably not their main goal.
Isn't that what happened with the Streets of Rage remake?

I believe this is the case. This project was also known for quite a while before it's release, they likely knew about it, still let it come out then C&Ded it to protect thier rights.

Of course even though they could have killed this before it saw the light of day or sued the creator for damages and chose not to, people are still going to act like they are the bad guys. Go figure.

Disappointed in Nintendo and/or their legal team if they continue on with this and take down the AM2R website. Just so needless, and the perfect gut punch to Metroid fans that were celebrating the series' birthday with the release of this wonderful remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom