• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: line-up for the rest of 2015 (Star Fox, Fatal Frame 5, more)

LiK

I can't believe that fucking Devil's Third is getting a retail release over Fatal Frame. We can't even get a limited edition like Europe? NoA proves itself to be awful once again.

I wish they gave it to XSEED.

Dominator

Are they really charging $59.99 for a game that came out in 2012 and its expansion?

Nintendo needs to learn how to price drop.

Zoon

Is there anyone really optimistic about the sales of these games? Aside from Yokai Watch I believe the rest of the games will be hard to reach 1 mil combined.I hope to eat some crow.

Celine

Something else that's interesting to note is that their big 3DS game of the year (November release) isn't a Zelda game but Yokai watch and Pokemon mystery dungeon.
From a sales perspective I think 3DS big title for the holiday is going to be Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.

tebunker

Banned
It's really sad to see the butthurt by some fans over Fatal Frame, not so much here but that group who was actively trying to get the game over here.

Like taking it personally on a different level. It's disappointing that people can't separate reality from personal investment.

Most people would just be happy to get Fatal Frame in the states period. The game just wouldn't sell. Even on bigger install bases it wasn't a big seller. So it's not surprising that Nintendo is minimizing risk here.

I'll play it for sure. I mean it looks solid and I like the occasional horror game. But just don't look at the Operation Zero Facebook, cause that guys is nuts.

JoeM86

Being able to quickly look for the relevant info is much better than sitting through an hour video for the 2 things I'm interested in.

No more directs please

Good thing that press releases come straight after Directs, too. That way you can wait until after and do that and not selfishly want something that hundreds of thousands of people watch and enjoy gone :p

TI82

Banned
It's really sad to see the butthurt by some fans over Fatal Frame, not so much here but that group who was actively trying to get the game over here.

Like taking it personally on a different level. It's disappointing that people can't separate reality from personal investment.

Most people would just be happy to get Fatal Frame in the states period. The game just wouldn't sell. Even on bigger install bases it wasn't a big seller. So it's not surprising that Nintendo is minimizing risk here.

I'll play it for sure. I mean it looks solid and I like the occasional horror game. But just don't look at the Operation Zero Facebook, cause that guys is nuts.

Should have done a very limited CE for the crazy fans though

Good thing that press releases come straight after Directs, too. That way you can wait until after and do that and not selfishly want something that hundreds of thousands of people watch and enjoy gone :p

giphy.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is there anyone really optimistic about the sales of these games? Aside from Yokai Watch I believe the rest of the games will be hard to reach 1 mil combined.I hope to eat some crow.

Super Mario Maker will sell more than 1 million. Yoshi's Wooly World and Zelda Triforce Heroes might get there with legs.

Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing HHD and StarFox will be around 500,000 each, I think.

Exile20

Being able to quickly look for the relevant info is much better than sitting through an hour video for the 2 things I'm interested in.

No more directs please

WTF? is this guy kidding? Please tell me you are kidding.

Nintendo still releases PR after the directs anyway.

Again, WTF? is this guy kidding? Please tell me you are kidding.

kunonabi

The series had physical releases in the states for each title until Nintendo. Japan and Europe both got physical releases even if Europe's was limited. Tons of other publishers manage retail releases for titles that are even more niche than FF. Devil's Third getting a retail release pretty destroys any possible excuse for not giving FF a retail release.

Yeah, he's a bit upset on Twitter as well. They were harassing Bill Trinen yesterday despite it being a private account for him. Usually with these groups to get games localized they are content with a digital release, or at least they say they are.
Sure, I'd prefer physical, but I understand the situation
Being free to start means more people can try it out too.

He does that. Don't think he's joking. A live event is a lot more exciting than a press release especially since the PR always follows the announcements. Watching footage for the first time and seeing people's reactions live is great so I hope Nintendo goes back to the NDs soon

TI82

Banned

I'm kidding about no more directs, but yeah I don't like them at all.

lol at the people surprised at Fatal Frame being digital only. If you were Nintendo you'd do the same thing. That game probably won't sell more than a few thousand.

Yep. The only stupid thing I see here is Nintendo releasing Devil's Third at retail. Both it and FF5 would be the flop to end all flops so they should be digital only.

tebunker

Banned
The series had physical releases in the states for each title until Nintendo. Japan and Europe both got physical releases even if Europe's was limited. Tons of other publishers manage retail releases for titles that are even more niche than FF. Devil's Third getting a retail release pretty destroys any possible excuse for not giving FF a retail release.

Yeah I can't explain the Devils Third thing because that seems like a waste too, but NoA is in a catch 22 here.

If they release a limited edition they will get crushed because of how poorly they handle those things and fans will be upset. They are getting crushed now for the opposite.

The real issue is that this illustrates that Nintendo has very little understanding of the market or their own market outside of their major games.

Hell they even admitted that expectations for Splatoon were low when many people could see the groundswell it was developing.

I mean I think the D3 thing was in reaction to the fan response, as was the release of FF, but oddly enough the FF fans didn't make too much of a fervor.

I think that NoA/Nintendo needs to rethink its approach to retail period. The current corporate structure doesn't really give them a lot of room to make a small release CE that they sell on their own website. Maybe they are working in that direction but it's probably still a long ways off.

Also just because the games had physical releases prior doesn't mean they sold well enough to justify the money being spent. I swear too many people do not understand business basics. Costs are different, and money shouldn't just be thrown around because that's how it was done before.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

No more directs please

So, can you link me to the new footage of Star Fox 0 in this new great format?

Solid line up. I will be getting Xenoblade for sure considering it is one of the two games I bought a Wii I for and I might get Fatal Frame, maybe.

Wow at Devil's Third being way in December for NA.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

No more directs please

Because visually getting information is the same as reading a bit of PR.

Exile20

I honestly think if Star Fox Zero underperforms, the series is done. Which sucks, because while I'm looking forward to it, I get why others are not and it will be a shame if Zero seals the fate of the franchise.

You can't blame people honestly.

I need to see more for me to get it. I hate the graphics, design and there is no new gameplay or even exciting gameplay that I saw so far.

With that said, Nintendo has been really good with adding value to games. MK8, Bayo1/2, Smash, etc. So if they are selling it for $60 then hopefully there is a lot more than we have seen so far.

I get the idea that Devil's Third has to come out but I see absolutely no benefit holding back on it until December. Maybe they are hoping everyone will forget the middling impressions it seems to be getting (bit pre-emptive to say that as no English reviews for another few days plus some English impressions). Also $60? Ironically that screams no confidence more than $40 or $30 would as it is saying "we think sales are going to be so low that $60 maximises our return".

As for Star Fox. I really want a Zelda style info dump on this. I feel I know too little about it to make a sensible judgment. I know about the Arwing, Land Master and Helicopter I've already forgotten the name of but still no idea of how many planets or what the replay value is.

The teasing about Animal Crossing amiibo party is absolutely killing me. Announce a price. Announce if it really is f2p or if Josh Thomas talked to an ignorant Nintendo rep (wouldn't be the first time a Nintendo rep gets things wrong...hell it could be as something as simple as not understanding or not hearing a question correctly).
unless of course there is another source of that info but so far I've yet to hear it. Seems everyone is like "this tweet is good enough for me".

As someone ignorant about most things Skylanders those RRPs come as quite a shock. A $65 3DS game?

Free-to-start on Fatal Frame is cool. How many chapters in the full version?
There are
fifteen
chapters. Now I have no idea if each chapter is equal in length (I imagine they are not).

When NoE release a CE, do they need make different package for every country? Or it's just one?
CE packaging same for all of Europe aka shitty USK logos for all.

Also why is Rodea missing or was that delayed?
I guess NOA don't consider it important enough to go onto their list of games coming out. Which isn't really the best of things to do considering a common criticism is there being no third party or third party neglecting the system but when they're treated like this can you blame them?

You can't blame people honestly.

I need to see more for me to get it. I hate the graphics, design and there is no new gameplay or even exciting gameplay that I saw so far.

With that said, Nintendo has been really good with adding value to games. MK8, Bayo1/2, Smash, etc. So if they are selling it for $60 then hopefully there is a lot more than we have seen so far.

Like I said, I get why people aren't interested in it. I think my desperate need for a new Star Fox game has clouded my judgement of Zero.

Digital only is a bummer in itself, but to add salt to the wound, it's also on a crappy system with piss poor capacity, anti-consumer fake account systems, plus it's full priced (and I don't know how it is in the US, but in EU 1st party games seldom get big discounts). Hence something like Yakuza 5 is a little better received, despite DD.

Probably getting Mario maker at launch, definitely getting Star Fox at launch.

I won't be getting any 3DS games to close out the year unless there's something coming out that I'm forgetting.

JPS Kai

As someone ignorant about most things Skylanders those RRPs come as quite a shock. A $65 3DS game?
$40 for game, $5 for portal, $20 for the figurines. Additional figurines set you back 10-15 typically.
I'm buying the WiiU dark edition for $99 just for the amiibo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder what will be the price in Europe for Star Fox Zero? I hope it'a not 60 euro, because no new footage now doesn't inspire confidence, especially after the poor E3 show.

Can't wait for Mario Maker, Fatal Frame and Xenoblade X. Quite a great line-up for the final year of Wii U as the newest Nintendo console

I'm happy that Wii U lineup personally.

It's the 3ds lineup that I'm like uhhhhhh

3DS lineup definitely hurting. For me Federation Force is the only remaining 3DS game I plan on picking up. Makes me wonder if all the "NX handheld will be released first" business ends up being true.

Wii U 2015 lineup works for me even if it isn't the best we've seen. Super excited about a proper new Starfox. SMM and YWW means 2D platforming is locked down.

tebunker

Banned
Now as for the release list? Man I don't see much here at least for WiiU.

It doesn't instill confidence in any new platform Nintendo is cooking up. If this is considered good support of their current platform or taking care of WiiU owners.

I can see myself getting Xeno, and maybe one or two others. Maybe. I am waffling on Mario Maker. Just not sure I have time for that.

Honestly I feel like I would be better served just paying attention to my PC for now and getting these WiiU games on sale or retailer clearance.

It sucks. I really have enjoyed the system but I guess the truth was they never were going to do much more with it.

tebunker

Banned
Digital only is a bummer in itself, but to add salt to the wound, it's also on a crappy system with piss poor capacity, anti-consumer fake account systems, plus it's full priced (and I don't know how it is in the US, but in EU 1st party games seldom get big discounts). Hence something like Yakuza 5 is a little better received, despite DD.
Nothing you say is wrong. In fact I agree for the most part, but the reaction by fans is sad. I mean there are many going to the extent of saying they should boycott it. I mean that'll show Nintendo and Koei. It'll show em to never make a new FF and localize it ever.

I think there are bigger issues at play here than just one title with a poor distribution.

TI82

Banned
Nothing you say is wrong. In fact I agree for the most part, but the reaction by fans is sad. I mean there are many going to the extent of saying they should boycott it. I mean that'll show Nintendo and Koei. It'll show em to never make a new FF and localize it ever.

I think there are bigger issues at play here than just one title with a poor distribution.

Well, it's like someone said earlier. Every FF has been released in the west and released physically until Nintendo took over the IP.

tebunker

Banned
Well, it's like someone said earlier. Every FF has been released in the west and released physically until Nintendo took over the IP.
And like I replied, this is such reductionist thinking.

It doesn't apply.

Just because one company took it on the chin to release the old games before doesn't mean other companies should. Just because Koei in NA brought out the old games on Ps2 doesn't mean they sold well enough to justify the expense.

FF was dead before Nintendo stepped in. Koei wasn't doing anything with the series. That tells me that those prior games were not profitable.

So let's throw that all out. It doesn't apply going forward.

MrGameBoy

While the $50 price and free trial are great for Fatal Frame, why digital-only? Sure, the game is (probably) rated M and the series was never really a major-selling franchise, but Maiden of Black Water seems like a perfect showcase of the Wii U GamePad, with said controller not being advertised effectively. And 15.9 GB is not exactly a trivial amount to download either...I was hoping that the combined Xenoblade Chronicles X data packs would've been my only "large" download for the system.

As for for Star Fox, $60 seems more than a tad too steep based on what's been shown, especially for 2015 standards. (Even as a series fan, I'm not all too excited...) Hopefully, there will be enough gameplay/content to justify that price. Also, was Mega Yarn Yoshi the reason for NoA's delay of Woolly World? :p

zroid

Banned
sucks hard that Fatal Frame is eShop exclusive but free to start is nice at least. definitely going to give it a test drive.

Top Bottom