• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: line-up for the rest of 2015 (Star Fox, Fatal Frame 5, more)

Balb

Perhaps, but I feel they should still consider doing it to throw us 3D Mario fans (who prefer the more pre-Galaxy style exploration based games) a bone. Same with Wii Sports Resort Club/HD edition - a game many people loved and would like to see an updated version of. A few of those type of releases could help round out the Wii U's 2016 release schedule as well.

Yeah I agree. I'm playing Sunshine right now actually and the idea of a new HD version with various, necessary fixes sounds amazing to me. Unfortunately I just don't think they have any incentive to do that...the game was kind of shrugged off in its day and I don't think releasing it on Wii U would really give it the new audience it needs.

Effect

I don;t think you should take that as a sign of no more NDs. While there may not be any more I think you should wait until January/February before making that call.

I can't believe there won't be Directs anymore in the future. Not only they were great, but they had success, and their success was growing in the past months (in terms of viewers/media attention). At this point, I suppose they'll wait for the new Nintendo's CEO to be officially elected for them to begin again. Or it's just too soon after Iwata's passing and they'll have one in the future wheter there's a new CEO or not. Anyway, Nintendo Direct's future should be one of the questions asked during the next major investor meeting, in October. I hope someone will ask it in the Q&A session, we need to have some information about what's going to happen with them.

Maybe we won't get any more NDs until 2016.

Here's hoping this is the case and they're just waiting.

Sterok

So I guess this means no more Nintendo Directs. All of this would have made for a really good one. Release dates and perhaps more footage of these games as we go into the fall.

I think we'll get a new Direct in October. I don't see Nintendo not having at least one more big update on the likes of Triforce Heroes, Star Fox, Yokai Watch, and a few other holiday games. Plus Xenoblade X still needs its last two Directs translated.

Anth0ny

as expected, star fox is the november 20 game. that's big. if star fox still can't sell with that release date, we won't get another one for 5 years.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think we'll get a new Direct in October. I don't see Nintendo not having at least one more big update on the likes of Triforce Heroes, Star Fox, Yokai Watch, and a few other holiday games. Plus Xenoblade X still needs its last two Directs translated.

...That's actually true. We should have new footage for most of the titles Nintendo releases this Fall anyway, in the next future. Plus, Mario Tennis and Amiibo party (urgh) still miss a release date.

as expected, star fox is the november 20 game. that's big. if star fox still can't sell with that release date, we won't get another one for 5 years.

I honestly think if Star Fox Zero underperforms, the series is done. Which sucks, because while I'm looking forward to it, I get why others are not and it will be a shame if Zero seals the fate of the franchise.

Here's the boxart for Star Fox Zero
CNLKNYAWwAAqGh0.jpg

Love it!
They improved Fox design a little (quality of texture onclothes, etc...) and made fur shading even more reallistic. Here is a comparison of the old placeholder boxart:
f454030e72_star_fox_zero_box_art.jpg

I really hope they releasy some artwork or poster emulating this boxart:
51175_front.jpg

Crocodile

While I do understand the logic in magic Fatal Frame a digital title only (series with not a ton of notoriety) making Devil's 3rd a retail release seems weird as fuck me. Were their hands tied by some contract or do they think it will actually sell well at retail?

Balb

I don't think it'll sell that well. They've done a really bad job at maintaining awareness for that series (and maintaining its quality), and the core fanbase doesn't seem to be that excited about the game.

Ridley327

I've been bracing myself for Fatal Frame 5 to be digital-only in the US since the original rumor started, but it still sucks, especially with Devil's Third getting a retail release.

Where is my outspoken NoA employee to explain the decision making process that leads to Devils third retail but Fatal frame digital, wtf?
As for that lineup, its hella lame. The WiiU has only 3 games left for me (XCX, FF and SMTxFE). The next nintendo console will be bought at its end of life if at all, lesson learned I guess.

Yuterald

I think the line-up is fine. There's so much stuff I'm interested in picking up, I doubt I'll be able to dedicate the time needed to full enjoy some of these games. Biggest wtf though is Devil's Third getting a retail but NOT Fatal Frame. Why?

redcrayon

While I can understand scepticism over the graphics, controls etc for Starfox, I don't understand why length is now linked to value rather than quality. A game being enjoyable enough to be replayed now seems to have less value than a long game full of filler where you can see everything in one extended campaign, then never touch it again.

In 1993 I was paying £40 for Super Probotector, Gradius IIi, Super R-Type, Super Aleste etc, all of which had a running time of 30-40 minutes assuming you were good enough to reach the end and didn't just die and restart. None had alternative levels, routes and secrets, it was all in the instantaneous moment-to-moment gameplay without hours of tutorials, and I'm still playing them now purely because they are easy to pick up and play- I don't need to remember what I was doing when I last played a month earlier or sit through endless cut scenes before finding some gameplay. It's now over twenty years later, it's the same price, and sometimes it seems like if the game had a hub world of the Grand Fox where you had to walk for twenty minutes from the bridge down to a marker in the docking bay, stopping to spend an hour filling a sidequest by catching twenty missing cabbages for the chef on the way, it would somehow be enough filler to meet modern requirements of a one-time-play, 20+ hour campaign.

I'm going to wait and see how replayable (or even just playable) the game is, as to be honest I'm quite happy to have a game I can start and finish in an afternoon with plenty of alternative routes. It took me months to find the secret routes on Lylat Wars and it's one of only three N64 games I ever go back to, whereas some players just seemed to do the easy route for beginners and call it short.

It might be an oldish game but the content justifies the price I believe and the original games themselves haven't gone down much in price. Combining them together is still likely cheaper then buying them separately.

Will wait for black friday/boxing day. $60 is too much flatout, there are games with way more content for much cheaper. NPDs would also suggest the game has not been selling much either. This could easily be a $40 game.

Ridley327

I think the line-up is fine. There's so much stuff I'm interested in picking up, I doubt I'll be able to dedicate the time needed to full enjoy some of these games. Biggest wtf though is Devil's Third getting a retail but NOT Fatal Frame. Why?

Someone had to pick up all those retail copies XSEED was going to put out, kappa.

Kenpa64

Hope I can get both the Xenoblade and Project Zero special editions... Actually my two only Nintendo purchases until the end of the year.

Yuterald

Someone had to pick up all those retail copies XSEED was going to put out, kappa.

I'm getting both regardless, but prefer physical, obviously. I'd much rather have DT digital and FF physical, though. I guess they figured DT has more potential shelf-space appeal? Regardless of their genre/audience, I can't imagine anyone seeing DT on the shelf and feeling more compelled to pick it up, say over seeing FF, when it's releasing during the final weeks of holiday shopping. I don't get it.

Wii U: I’ll wait for reviews on Star Fox, Mario Tennis, and Xenoblade. I really hope those games will let me use the Pro Controller otherwise I will not be buying them. Mario Maker is out of the question since I believe it’s gamepad only.

3DS: Honestly none of this years 3DS games interest me, not even Triforce Heroes.

Amiibo: I’m done with Amiibo because I already have my 3 mains from Smash (Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Marth). Could care less about getting more and I hate the fact that they lock content behind them. $40 for that huge yarn Yoshi Amiibo? That is expensive.

2DS: Price drop is nice as is a free copy of MK7.

Fatal Frame V being free to start is interesting.
Lots of news today, as mentioned earlier it could've contained news to fill a Nintendo Direct if they included new trailers for each. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the next direct.
Something else that's interesting to note is that their big 3DS game of the year (November release) isn't a Zelda game but Yokai watch and Pokemon mystery dungeon.
I'm probably skipping on the mega Yoshi Amiibo. I like how cute and tiny the normal one is and I don't want a large plush toy.
Lego dimensions seems way too expensive for me, so I'll probably just stick to Skylanders and amiibo this year
A lot in this line up that I intend to buy. Most of it outside of Pokemon and some of the 3rd party stuff.
Star Fox, Mario Maker, Yarn Yoshi, Chibi Robo, Tri Force heroes, Fatal Frame V, DKlanders, Xenoblade X all being day 1 and maybe Yokai watch and D3rd to see how bad it is. Oh, and Mario Ultra Tennis and the amiibo AC games. I loved the GCN tennis game and I haven't played one since. But it might not be that great based on previews. Same with the AC games

lol at the people surprised at Fatal Frame being digital only. If you were Nintendo you'd do the same thing. That game probably won't sell more than a few thousand.

Celine

I expect it to be the last StarFox game for a long time (longer than 5 years, bar remakes).
So guys who are interested in the franchise or arcade shooter should give it a chance.

Clov

I can't believe that fucking Devil's Third is getting a retail release over Fatal Frame. We can't even get a limited edition like Europe? NoA proves itself to be awful once again.

TunaLover

lol at the people surprised at Fatal Frame being digital only. If you were Nintendo you'd do the same thing. That game probably won't sell more than a few thousand.
They could release a CE, like NoE. I just hate having to buy a new HDD for just one game, Wii U didn't have the choice to partition either.

$60 for a digital-only game? Hahahah, fuck off, NoA. I'll import a European copy of Fatal Frame 5 and play it once the Wii U is hacked and region free.

Edit: Er, whoops, looks like it's $45. Still too much.

Top Bottom