• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking for Lead Graphic Engineer for Next-Gen Console SoC in Redmond

FLAguy954

New news?

AMD chips in new gaming device.

Comments made by AMD's Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Devinder Kumar, suggest AMD will be making its way into another major gaming device, other reports suggest. The gaming device in question, and the brand that will be producing it, were not named, but the new deal could prove equally lucrative for AMD.

Kumar also commented that "one [design win] is x86 and [another] is ARM, and at least one will [be] beyond gaming, right...But that is about as much as you going to get out me today. From the standpoint [of being] fair to [customers], it is their product, and they launch it. They are going to announce it and then […] you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products."

Vena

#DS beings GBAed?

2016 isn't being GBAed. These deals are fresh, AMD only started talking about this deal a few months ago.

A lot of R&D likely is still underway and a long way to go. Also some new advances in ARM would, probably, be something Nintendo wants to take advantage of. I wonder if AMD can make something that's competitive with the K1.

McHuj

If AMD has a contract already in place that they are discussing publicly, I expect the design to be pretty much finalized.

That doesn't me the chip is done, it's a long process, but key components and performance metrics should be already decided upon (stuff like number of cores, memory size, process node).

Vena

AMD has no mobile offerings at this point.

They have work with ARMv8-A in their server offerings. They haven't done anything with their ARM in mobile but they have experience with a build that is used in mobile.

iPhone6 is ARMv8-A clocked at 1.4 GHz.

I wonder if it would be fair to draw a comparison from there and project an expected power threshold of the next handheld. The current iPhone 6S (as big as a 3DS, but not as thick) has 2195 mAh battery that lasts for 6+ hours of use and a 1.4GHz chip.

I just hope it's a57 based and not a53 based. Dual a57's would be much better than quad a53s.

AMD makes A57.

Oh wow... It really doesn't feel that long. The DS' long life has skewed by perspective.
The DS was launched in late 2004 in JP and NA, mid 2005 in Europe. So it was around 6-6.5 years on the market before it's successor launched.

The 3DS will be like 5.5 years old if the 4DS launches in late 2016.

So it's not all that much shorter :p

AMD has no mobile offerings at this point.

I'd imagine they are cooking up something like Mullins but at 20nm or even 16/14nm and with ARM cores instead of the Pumas.

128 shaders and a clock around 400 Mhz and you'd get almost Wii U performance at a very low TDP. Much depends on what type of screen they go with...

They will ride out the (n)3DS in 2015 and announce the successor in January/February 2016. I supect a release for the holidays in 2016. Seems to fit with AMDs timing.

Scum

it-has-begun-o.gif

sörine

Banned
128 shaders and a clock around 400 Mhz and you'd get almost Wii U performance at a very low TDP. Much depends on what type of screen they go with...
Likely 480p for scaling 3DS 240p up evenly. Wii U ports would work well too given the 480p Gamepad screen.

I just wonder if we'll get autostereoscopic 3D again? That could impact performance a lot.

sörine;143327560 said:
Likely 480p for scaling 3DS 240p up evenly. Wii U ports would work well too given the 480p Gamepad screen.

I just wonder if we'll get autostereoscopic 3D again? That could impact performance a lot.

I just cannot fathom a 480p device in late 2016. I have to imagine smartphone screens will trigger some type of reaction within Nintendo as to what consumers expect of a portable.

sörine

Banned
I just cannot fathom a 480p device in late 2016. I have to imagine smartphone screens will trigger some type of reaction within Nintendo as to what consumers expect of a portable.
I'd have said the same thing in 2011 and yet we still got a 240p device from Nintendo. Maybe it depends on it being 3D or not but I get the feeling Nintendo's pretty comfortable with 480p fidelity. Wii U games on the Gamepad gives a good indication I think.

sörine;143329642 said:
I'd have said the same thing in 2011 and yet we still got a 240p device from Nintendo. Maybe it depends on it being 3D or not but I get the feeling Nintendo's pretty comfortable with 480p fidelity. Wii U games on the Gamepad gives a good indication I think.

Well, as has been mentioned before in this thread, it's not so much the screen, as it is the processor required to render 720p visuals. 3DS has an 800x240 screen and a 320x240 screen. Add them together (plus the 3D tech) and the price is probably around the same as a single 720p screen. Probably...

Nintendo are good at designing a game around limitations. A game like A Link Between Worlds would look fantastic in 720p and with a few more polygons. So it is not necessary that we posit Nintendo rendering games at less than native res.

As for 3DS BC and screen scaling, I think how they handled DS BC on 3DS show that they're willing to roll with a less than optimal presentation. They can always enable a 1:1 mode and black out pixels around the borders.

E-phonk

Banned
If the new 3ds launches in late winter/early spring, and the next portable launches in fall 2016, thats a pretty long span.

I can actually see them launching Q1 2016. 3DS also launched feb/march.

£10 they just overclock the Gamecube architecture again :)

They wouldn't need AMD for that, since PPC is IBM. Also has been discussed in this thread, PPC doesn't scale well for mobile. ARM is the best and most likely choice.

DizzyCrow

I would give up BC for a single 720p screen, or even a 540p one, in a handheld with a better battery life and a real second circle pad.

Vena

I would give up BC for a single 720p screen, or even a 540p one, in a handheld with a better battery life and a real second circle pad.

Until you realize how much of a giant step back that would be.

?? how would that be a step back from a 240p screen?

Why would any of this need to happen? 3DS/DS are ARM based and I have no doubt can be absorbed into the new ARM chipset. They may not look good on the next screen set or may not work well without a dual screen if Nintendo drops the clam, but I don't see why they would need to be dropped.

Bigger question is how WiiU gets absorbed into the ARM chipset since its built on PPC.

Roo

I think a 420p screen would be nice.
I mean, All first party games for Wii looked great so I assume it would be the same for a handheld system.

Here's the tricky thing.. Why would Nintendo go for 2-3(?)GB of RAM if games wouldn't require so much memory?
Unless they want to load entire games from the get go I don't see any practical functionality with such a small resolution ( assuming they go with 420p that is :p)

DizzyCrow

Until you realize how much of a giant step back that would be.

In what exactly? Having to press a button to see the menu/inventory/map? Or not having to buy an add-on to play a game without hand cramps? Or having the same input methods of all the other dedicated gaming platforms? It's not like the touchscreen is the reason of the 3DS's success. Also the majority of the 3DS games can be ported with little to no problem to a single screen platform.

Why would any of this need to happen? 3DS/DS are ARM based and I have no doubt can be absorbed into the new ARM chipset. They may not look good on the next screen set or may not work well without a dual screen if Nintendo drops the clam, but I don't see why they would need to be dropped.

Bigger question is how WiiU gets absorbed into the ARM chipset since its built on PPC.

I remember hearing earlier that Wii U game development is handled primarily through high-level APIs. If this is true, then 'adequately absorbing the Wii U architecture' really just means 'the new architecture supports the APIs used by Wii U games'.

Vena

I remember hearing earlier that Wii U game development is handled primarily through high-level APIs. If this is true, then 'adequately absorbing the Wii U architecture' really just means 'the new architecture supports the APIs used by Wii U games'.

If that's the case then there's no real problems absorbing everything in the next set-up.

Ninja Dom

Thought I'd ask in here, slightly off topic. How would the Apple A8X from the iPad Air 2 perform in a dedicated home console?

And couldn't Nintendo use the base PowerVR GXA6850 Graphics chip in their new SoC?? It's the same chip Apple uses in the A8X.

If that's the case then there's no real problems absorbing everything in the next set-up.

The way that Nintendo handled the Wii U in regards to development seems to point to a greater focus on abstraction of low-level instructions. The Nintendo Web Framework and the support for the Unity engine are initiatives with a strong focus on portability, as it moves the development focus away from native, platform-specific intricacies to widely-used, widely-adapted languages and technologies. I wouldn't be surprised if this focus extends to in-house development as well, meaning that there should be very little dependency between a Wii U game and the actual Wii U hardware.

Vena

The way that Nintendo handled the Wii U in regards to development seems to point to a greater focus on abstraction of low-level instructions. The Nintendo Web Framework and the support for the Unity engine are initiatives with a strong focus on portability, as it moves the development focus away from native, platform-specific intricacies to widely-used, widely-adapted languages and technologies. I wouldn't be surprised if this focus extends to in-house development as well, meaning that there should be very little dependency between a Wii U game and the actual Wii U hardware.

I had simply assumed, given the Power basis, that they were using more of RISC instruction set and more fine-tuned Power capabilities. But, all that said, ARM can make use of most of the same RISC capabilities and if Nintendo wasn't (have they ever?) coding to the metal of Power, they would be able to move. Nintendo has pretty much always been on Power or RISC tech, so I don't think this abstraction is all that new. The N64 was the odd-ball of the recent ones since it was so little system memory that games had to be coded to the metal for the system.

I don't think it would be nearly the same had they wanted to switch to x86 and CISC, though.

(Feel free to correct any mistakes I have made, though, as this isn't my field of specialization and I like learning this stuff if I am wrong.)

I can't fathom how anyone today could think 480p is fine in a handheld system. Then again, some people are actually ok with the 3DS's resolution, and don't seem to realize how much it's gimped some games.

wsippel

Banned
Thought I'd ask in here, slightly off topic. How would the Apple A8X from the iPad Air 2 perform in a dedicated home console?

And couldn't Nintendo use the base PowerVR GXA6850 Graphics chip in their new SoC?? It's the same chip Apple uses in the A8X.
Not very well, because just like any other smart device SoC, gaming performance is little more than an afterthought. Which is why Nintendo is certainly going to use a (semi)custom chip, ARM or not.

Top Bottom