• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Maintenance/Operational Status Thread

Rich!

As soon as firmware spoofing is a thing on smealums launcher (hopefully), there will be literally no need to ever update again.

Apart from the new DeNA system of course. Thaaaats gonna be tricky I bet

Platy

Don't you get it, Platy? The ride never ends!

I have 72 posts on the smash dlc thread, I don't need YOU to tell me that the ride never ends.

...I just wanted to know the maintenance =P

I can still hype the dlc/direct till next month

Zubz

Banned
I have 72 posts on the smash dlc thread, I don't need YOU to tell me that the ride never ends.

...I just wanted to know the maintenance =P

I can still hype the dlc/direct till next month

Sorry, Plat! I mean, I don't know how to count how many times I've posted in that thread, but it's probably some embarrassing number. Not as much as some, but definitely more than most. At the very least, my estimate is that it's around "too much." I just wanted to make a quick joke.

And, again, I think most of us are going to ride the DLC train Directly into an abyss.

L~A

Return of the vengeance of the comeback of the counterattack: Nintendo eShop maintenance The Movie.

Wii U: Nintendo eShop
Nintendo 3DS: Nintendo eShop
Wii: Wii Shop Channel
Nintendo DS: DSi Shop

This maintenance will take place on:

– Europe: October 26th (9PM) to October 27th (3AM)
– UK: October 26th (8PM) to October 27th (2AM)
– North America (EDT): October 26th (3PM to 8PM)
– North America (PDT): October 26th (12PM to 7PM)
– Japan: October 27th (4AM to 11AM)

LOLDSFAN

In a world where updates and patches collide.

One console found a way to become even more stable.

Coming to a theaters this October................

Return of the vengeance of the comeback of the counterattack: Nintendo eShop maintenance The Movie.

In a world where updates and patches collide.

One console found a way to become even more stable.

Coming to a theaters this October................

In a universe far far away, consoles are getting updates to either get more download speed or backwards compatability...but one small little console seeks out to bring stability to the force...The return of the stability - a new hope for the new account order...coming soon to your Wii Universe...

Vena

I have to imagine, given the sudden delay, that they found a massive bug in the code. Only way I can explain it.

Pokemaniac

I have to imagine, given the sudden delay, that they found a massive bug in the code. Only way I can explain it.

Yeah, there clearly was some kind of last minute showstopper. You don't just cancel something that close to release unless something went wrong.

Assuming that the fix was relatively simple, the release date getting pushed back a week to next Monday sounds fairly plausible.

Yeah, there clearly was some kind of last minute showstopper. You don't just cancel something that close to release unless something went wrong.

Assuming that the fix was relatively simple, the release date getting pushed back a week to next Monday sounds fairly plausible.

Am I the only one wondering about the 6 hour maintenance? Wasnt this weeks 2 hours at first?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Am I the only one wondering about the 6 hour maintenance? Wasnt this weeks 2 hours at first?

Some clarification

The maintenance that got suddenly cancelled was at first, eShop/Wii Shop Channel/DsiWare Shop AND "General" for 3DS and Wii U, and it was programmed to last 4 hours.

Wii U: Nintendo eShop
Wii U: General
Nintendo 3DS: Nintendo eShop
Nintendo 3DS: General
Wii: Wii Shop Channel
Nintendo DS: Nintendo DSi Shop

– Europe: October 19th (10PM) to October 20th (2AM)
– UK: October 19th (9PM) to October 20th (1AM)
– North America (EDT): October 19th (4PM) to October 20th (8PM)
– North America (PDT): October 19th (1PM) to October 20th (5PM)
– Japan: October 20th (5AM to 9AM)

Then, the "General" became "Using NNID". After that, the eShop/Wii Shop Channel/DSiWare Channel maintenances got cancelled, leaving just the "Using NNID" one, all happening with another maintenance related to "Online Play, Rankings, etc." ) announced in the meanwhile

Wii U: online play, leaderboards
Nintendo 3DS: online play, leaderboards

– Europe: October 19th (11PM) to October 20th (4AM)
– UK: October 19th (10PM) to October 20th (3AM)
– North America (EDT): October 19th (5PM to 10PM)
– North America (PDT): October 19th (2PM to 7PM)
– Japan: October 20th (6AM to 11AM)

As said by Pokemaniac back then, it could've been argued that stating both "Using NNID" and "eShop" was a bit redundant, in the end.

Finally, just right before the starting time, the "Using NNID" maintenance just disappeared.

Now, it seems that the eShop portion of that maintenance is back (complete with Wii & DS!), and 50% longer than what was going to be this week.

Roo

I don't think it's going to be important.
I mean, their earnings release is happening next week where I assume they will talk about their new account system and even the new loyalty program.
Why not wait until then to release the eShop update (if there's one, that is)

I don't think it's going to be important.
I mean, their earnings release is happening next week where I assume they will talk about their new account system and even the new loyalty program.
Why not wait until then to release the eShop update (if there's one, that is)

But cant you do the update and just not make it Go Live yet. Earnings realease, plus maybe a direct or something and let the system go live immediatly afterwards?

ramparter

Banned
Now, it seems that the eShop portion of that maintenance is back (complete with Wii & DS!), and 50% longer than what was going to be this week.
So they delayed the region free update to also add gamecube virtual console?

right?

But cant you do the update and just not make it Go Live yet. Earnings realease, plus maybe a direct or something and let the system go live immediatly afterwards?
This. And I if the update is major, they will probably have to test it first.

Roo

For some reason I missed the dates.
It is actually happening 1 day (Japan) before the earnings release. Guess it makes more sense now.
They're probably doing this to prevent the massive amount of traffic their servers receive when something important is updated.

For some reason I missed the dates.
It is actually happening 1 day (Japan) before the earnings release. Guess it makes more sense now.
They're probably doing this to prevent the massive amount of traffic their servers receive when something important is updated.

But now they have to do somekind of video (direct) to explain what is happening, and I guess we will get this either this week or monday (in advance) or at/after the earnings relaeses...

Ondore

Welp...
THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg

Plz let it be true. Let the 23rd direct rumors be true. I wonder if the smartphone game will launch tomorrow or this weekend.

Sigh.

Ready for disappointment!

We all are ready for disappointment...some hours are left today, to announce a direct for tomorrow...but I guess we shouldnt count on it...

L~A

You shouldn't read too much into all that maintenance... Nintendo never had a direct at the same time as maintenance (with just one exception, for Wii Sports Club).

Anyway, some more maintenance:

Wii U: online play, leaderboards
Nintendo 3DS: online play, leaderboards

– Europe: October 26th (10PM) to October 27th (3AM)
– UK: October 26th (9PM) to October 27th (2AM)
– North America (EDT): October 26th (4PM to 10PM)
– North America (PDT): October 26th (1PM to 7PM)
– Japan: October 27th (5AM to 11AM)

Also fixed the time for the eShop maintenance, just realised DST went off this Sunday for Europe.

You shouldn't read too much into all that maintenance... Nintendo never had a direct at the same time as maintenance (with just one exception, for Wii Sports Club).

Anyway, some more maintenance:

Also fixed the time for the eShop maintenance, just realised DST went off this Sunday for Europe.

Nobody said "at the same time" I think its more like "friday" or "wednesday" :)

IF there is something's cooking here (which is probably the case) :

They can't have a direct before the maintenance. They have to first do their thing without releasing it online in order to test it. Then, they can announce the thing and release it at he same time.

So I guess there won't be any direct this week but it could be possible next week.

Of course, IF these maintenances are a clue for a bigger deal.

L~A

Some more maintenance, just weekly maintenance this time around.

Wii U: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (online play and leaderboards)
Wii U: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Packet Relay Tools for Nintendo 3DS (online play and leaderboards)

– Europe: October 2th (1.30AM to 3AM)
– UK: October 2th (12.30AM to 2AM)
– North America (EDT): October 26th (8.30PM to 10PM)
– North America (PDT): October 26th (5.30PM to 7PM)
– Japan: October 27th (9.30AM to 11AM)

(I really wish Nintendo announced everything at once :p)

Zemekis11

Banned
I just checked in here quick to look if Nintendo's servers were down (planning on downloading the fatal frame demo in a bit), but then I start reading posts...it's people getting hyped for maintenance....I'm getting old.

ramparter

Banned
I just checked in here quick to look if Nintendo's servers were down (planning on downloading the fatal frame demo in a bit), but then I start reading posts...it's people getting hyped for maintenance....I'm getting old.

It's all nintendo's big secrecy fault. Soon we are gonna have people outside their HQ reporting who enters and who leaves the building.

Zemekis11

Banned
It's all nintendo's big secrecy fault. Soon we are gonna have people outside their HQ reporting who enters and who leaves the building.

I guess i can understand. With how much they hide everything fans need to pick apart every little tidbit and look under every rock for potential information, but it's still sad to see it go so far that fans are excited for server maintenance because it may mean they get a little info handed out to them. How is a company that operates that way & with such a poorly selling console still in business?

Amiibo

Pokemaniac

I guess i can understand. With how much they hide everything fans need to pick apart every little tidbit and look under every rock for potential information, but it's still sad to see it go so far that fans are excited for server maintenance because it may mean they get a little info handed out to them. How is a company that operates that way & with such a poorly selling console still in business?

Amiibo

It's not normally this bad, but the fact that Directs are on hiatus and Nintendo has just been randomly dropping announcements out of nowhere has a lot of people on edge.

Amiibo

I dont get the ciriticism, and "poorly selling consoles"? Yeah sure, the Wii U isnt the biggest success Nintendo ever had, and I hope they learnt their lessons, yet the 3DS is still having quite a good run, Nintendo Handhelds always sold well, plus Amiibo joined in and some decent amount of money should be gathered there. Secrecy is a part of almost every company though, and after some leaks in the past it was clear, that Nintendo would do their best to get that into control again.

Concerning the directs...well they were Iwatas domain...you cant just restart them with another guy...so maybe the format will be changed, but we cant tell, cause the last direct was in April (wasnt that close before/after investor meeting?)

Plus its not just a usual maintenance, given the timeframe of 6 hours, and it got postponed/cancelled this week, so of course that raises some eyebrows.

Pokemaniac

So the eShop maintenance finished a bit ahead of schedule, but the general online maintenance was lengthened by an hour and a half.

Pokemaniac

Any news? Has datamining found something yet? :D I need answer, I want to live the hype again :D

The only thing of note which I've noticed during my rounds is that is that Nintendo seems to have activated some (semi aggressive) anti-hacking countermeasures that were snuck into the 3DS OS at some point. Haven't had time to read through all the details, but it sounds like there's a new update server now, which people obviously didn't know to block before.

Aside from that, nothing. Which surprises me somewhat. Personally, I'll be watching the investor meeting rather carefully, as there is precedent for Nintendo launching services during those (web Miiverse). Even if they don't do that, they'll probably at least say something about the new Club Nintendo and the first mobile game.

The only thing of note which I've noticed during my rounds is that is that Nintendo seems to have activated some (semi aggressive) anti-hacking countermeasures that were snuck into the 3DS OS at some point. Haven't had time to read through all the details, but it sounds like there's a new update server now, which people obviously didn't know to block before.

Aside from that, nothing. Which surprises me somewhat. Personally, I'll be watching the investor meeting rather carefully, as there is precedent for Nintendo launching services during those (web Miiverse). Even if they don't do that, they'll probably at least say something about the new Club Nintendo and the first mobile game.

Ok, thanks for your input. So we will have to wait until tomorrow to maybe get some news...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There's also another maintenance going on right now

From (approx.) Tuesday, 27 October 2015 07:00
to Tuesday, 27 October 2015 09:00.
During the maintenance window, the following services may be unavailable.
Wii U
- Super Mario Maker
Nintendo 3DS
- Online Play, Rankings etc. for Monster Hunter™ 4 Ultimate Special Demo

L~A

Some region-locked maintenance ;)

Nintendo 3DS: Collectible Badge Center

The maintenance will take place on:

Europe: October 29th (7.50PM) to October 30th (3AM)
UK: October 29th (6.50PM) to October 30th (2AM)
North America (EDT): October 29th (2.50PM to 10PM)
North America (PDT): October 29th (11.50AM to 7PM)
Japan: October 30th (3.50AM to 11AM)

Top Bottom