• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Maintenance/Operational Status Thread

Pokemaniac

Check back in 19 1/2 hours, not that it'll necessarily be anything readily apparent as was pointed out. Times are in OP.

I wonder if this will tie into the earlier Badge Centre maintenance. Why was that international?

While Badge Center does have deeper hooks into the OS than most 3DS apps, it's pretty unlikely that maintenance for it has anything to do with this eShop maintenance. If they were related, they'd probably overlap.

Check back in 19 1/2 hours, not that it'll necessarily be anything readily apparent as was pointed out. Times are in OP.

I wonder if this will tie into the earlier Badge Centre maintenance. Why was that international?

Sorry I guess I jsut remembered it incorrectly, cause I thought it would begin on 1st November early morning in europe. I was wrong, I'm only human :p

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
While Badge Center does have deeper hooks into the OS than most 3DS apps, it's pretty unlikely that maintenance for it has anything to do with this eShop maintenance. If they were related, they'd probably overlap.

Ah, good point. I hope we really do get badges soon though, if not that was such a tease.

Sorry I guess I jsut remembered it incorrectly, cause I thought it would begin on 1st November early morning in europe. I was wrong, I'm only human :p

No need to be sorry man, I just wanted to point out to you exactly when the maintenance ends.

L~A

Based on that tweet:

- massive server upgrade/change
- maintenance will last 24h max (something the message on the Nintendo eShop confirms), which means it will most likely end before that. So in other words: don't expect something right after it ends. It'll either be announced today, or later.

By the way, Nintendo has never timed eShop maintenance with any Direct, so... yeah.

Is it normal that my Wii U has been in standby mode (yellow light) since the maintenance started?

Usually it comes and goes and goes back to red only after a few min.

georly

The optimist in me says that this is to prepare for the server load of releasing splatoon dlc, smash dlc, and twilight princess HD (eshop version) all at the same time.

The realist in me says this is just some backend thing they're doing during a low-traffic time period to prepare for the holiday traffic and maybe even nintendo accounts.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Based on that tweet:

- maintenance will last 24h max (something the message on the Nintendo eShop confirms), which means it will most likely end before that. So in other words: don't expect something right after it ends. It'll either be announced today, or later.

By the way, Nintendo has never timed eShop maintenance with any Direct, so... yeah.

NCL stays winning, giving extra info, just like how they include file sizes in their patch notes.

Pokemaniac

Based on that tweet:

If there's a system update coming, it'll probably arrive as the maintenance ends. Nintendo has never bothered to sync those with Directs either, and there's a bunch of technical reasons why releasing an update then makes the most sense. There's also, a whole bunch of precedent for updates arriving at the end of eShop maintenance. I'm not saying it will happen, but if it's going to happen, that's when it will happen.

The optimist in me says that this is to prepare for the server load of releasing splatoon dlc, smash dlc, and twilight princess HD (eshop version) all at the same time.

The realist in me says this is just some backend thing they're doing during a low-traffic time period to prepare for the holiday traffic and maybe even nintendo accounts.

I think Nintendo learned their lesson regarding tempting fate with eShop load during Christmas 2013.

I was out of the country for most of the eshop sale and when I came back this maintenance screwed me out of getting anything...
Was going to pick up RE:R on Wii U and RE: Mercenaries.

Edit: called Nintendo the next day and they hooked me up! Said it was a one time thing they would do for me. Really awesome.

Pokemaniac

The eShop seems to be accessible right now, but the network status page hasn't been updated yet. The maintenance may not actually be done yet.

Vena

Based on that tweet:

Oof that's quite big then.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The eShop seems to be accessible right now, but the network status page hasn't been updated yet. The maintenance may not actually be done yet.

Hack the system, Pokemaniac. Discover the first TP HD's screenshots, the Kayne West amiibo's line, and the first trailer for Serious Sam 3d. HACK THE SYSTEM, LIVE AS A HEROH!

Seriously, though, massive server upgrade/change? Could that mean that downloads will take less than before? Quicker eShop pages' loading (if the layout stays the same/don't differ that much)? Or what?

Pokemaniac

Hack the system, Pokemaniac. Discover the first TP HD's screenshots, the Kayne West amiibo's line, and the first trailer for Serious Sam 3d. HACK THE SYSTEM, LIVE AS A HEROH!

Seriously, though, massive server upgrade/change? Could that mean that downloads will take less than before? Quicker eShop pages' loading (if the layout stays the same/don't differ that much)? Or what?

"Massive Server Upgrade/Change" is super vague. They could be migrating to a different hosting provider, they could be making major changes to their databases, or they could be rolling out a huge upgrade to their server software. Until we're sure the maintenance has finished, we really can't know for sure what they're doing or what implications that will have. Even then, there's no guarantee that the changes will even be user visible.

It really could be anything, the only thing we know for sure is that the changes are both "massive" and take longer than usual to roll out.

Vena

No, DeNA got nothing to do with the Nintendo eShop.

Dena = mobile games and membership services. That's all.

Not quite true, they are working/helping on the back-end for services and structure as it is most certainly one of their areas of expertise.

L~A

Not quite true, they are working/helping on the back-end for services and structure as it is most certainly one of their areas of expertise.

Back end services and infrastructures... for the membership service, yes. Not the Nintendo eShop.

Since I may have missed it, please post the relevant PR/meeting transcript as I want to be 100% sure (not just for the sake of that argument ;)).

Anyway, page still not updated. Guess they're just going to leave it like that until 4AM...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Back end services and infrastructures... for the membership service, yes. Not the Nintendo eShop.

Since I may have missed it, please post the relevant PR/meeting transcript as I want to be 100% sure (not just for the sake of that argument ;)).

Anyway, page still not updated. Guess they're just going to leave it like that until 4AM...

That's because, at 4AM, they'll drop the megaton.

As a matter of fact, they won't drop anything

Brofield

That's because, at 4AM, they'll drop the megaton.

As a matter of fact, they won't drop anything

I woke up out of the blue at 4:30AM, and if I didn't need to get 3 more hours of sleep I'd check right now.

But currently, no Kimishima-authorized bombs were dropped.

L~A

Almost forgot about the Denpa Ningen no RPG maintenance, before tomorrow's update. No, no EU/NA release is in the works...

Nintendo 3DS: Denpa Ningen no RPG Free! (check-in, Wi-fi Coliseum)

This maintenance will take place on:

Japan: November 4th (12AM to 11AM)
Europe: November 3rd (4PM) to November 4th (3AM)
UK: November 3rd (3PM) to November 4th (2AM)
North America (ET): November 3rd (10AM to 9PM)
North America (PT): November 3rd (7AM to 6PM)

L~A

Hmm. "Certain games". I guess they don't want to bother listing them individually? :D

Nintendo 3DS: certain games (online play, leaderboards)

– Europe: November 9th (10PM) to November 10th (3AM)
– UK: November 9th (9PM) to November 10th (2AM)
– North America (EDT): November 9th (4PM to 9PM)
– North America (PDT): November 9th (1PM to 6PM)
– Japan: November 10th (6AM to 11AM)

Nintendo 3DS: Pokémon X and Y (online play, leaderboards)
Nintendo 3DS: Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (online play, leaderboards)

– Europe: November 10th (1AM to 2AM)
– UK: November 10th (12AM to 1AM)
– North America (EDT): November 9th (7PM to 8PM)
– North America (PDT): November 8th (4PM to 5PM)
– Japan: November 10th (9AM to 10AM)

Wii U: Super Mario Maker

– Europe: November 10th (2AM to 3AM)
– UK: November 10th (1AM to 2AM)
– North America (EDT): November 9th (8PM to 9PM)
– North America (PDT): November 8th (5PM to 6PM)
– Japan: November 10th (10AM to 11AM)

Somnid

I can't figure out what's going on but Nintendo's page says the 3DS network services are okay but I can't access the eshop or update service on 2 different 3DSs and haven't all week. Wii U is just fine.

Javier

I can't figure out what's going on but Nintendo's page says the 3DS network services are okay but I can't access the eshop or update service on 2 different 3DSs and haven't all week. Wii U is just fine.
Can you access Miiverse or the Web Browser? Have you tried using a different Wi-Fi?

Somnid

Can you access Miiverse or the Web Browser? Have you tried using a different Wi-Fi?

Haven't tried different Wifi but it's not a general connectivity issue as Miiverse and the browser work. I guess it could be Comcast's DNS is messed up or something.

Pokemaniac

Haven't tried different Wifi but it's not a general connectivity issue as Miiverse and the browser work. I guess it could be Comcast's DNS is messed up or something.

What are the specific error messages? If there are any error codes, there's a lookup tool here.

Somnid

What are the specific error messages? If there are any error codes, there's a lookup tool here.

Yeah, that was the first place I went and it wasn't helpful: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...p?error_code=005-4701&system=3DS&locale=en_US

Just tried on a Japanese XL and my OG so that's 4 that won't connect. Definitely a network thing but unless it's global I think I'm screwed, nothing about my side of the network changed and I don't have any info about what it's actually looking for to complain to Comcast about either.

MrBenchmark

My new XL was not connecting to my wifi recently and to fix it I had to remove and re add my wifi and all was well not sure if something in the last update just messed it up a bit but it's fine now.

Sometimes you just need to reboot your whole network it's a good habit to do once in a while.

Roo

I had a similar problem yesterday and part of today.
For some odd reason, my Wii U wouldn't let me play online (Kart, Smash, Mario Maker) but eShop, Miiverse and other services were working fine.

Had to reset all the internet settings and deal with some DMZ drama.

Pokemaniac

Yeah, that was the first place I went and it wasn't helpful: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...p?error_code=005-4701&system=3DS&locale=en_US

Just tried on a Japanese XL and my OG so that's 4 that won't connect. Definitely a network thing but unless it's global I think I'm screwed, nothing about my side of the network changed and I don't have any info about what it's actually looking for to complain to Comcast about either.

I'd definitely try deleting and re-adding the connection info.

All the results I get for that error code on Google suggest issues related to server load or pending system updates. Are you sure the systems are up to date? The latest version is 10.2.0-28.

Somnid

I'd definitely try deleting and re-adding the connection info.

All the results I get for that error code on Google suggest issues related to server load or pending system updates. Are you sure the systems are up to date? The latest version is 10.2.0-28.

I can't update, it gives me an error when attempting to contact the update server.

Pokemaniac

I can't update, it gives me an error when attempting to contact the update server.

If you hold down A+R+L+Up while the 3DS boots, it will go into a special recovery mode which can update even if an update failed. If you still can't connect from there, then you probably have an issue, and I'd recommend either contacting Nintendo support or recording a network trace to see what's happening.

Top Bottom