• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

benjammin

Wait...it sounds like we pay for the app on top of the online service? I wonder what features will be included in the free app. This console is looking like more like a $410-430 proposition if you want a game and online subscription. And then more than $500 if you want an extra controller.

Blues1990

I really need more information about this before passing a final call on how I feel about paying virtual space bucks for online play.

Wait...it sounds like we pay for the app on top of the online service? I wonder what features will be included in the free app. This console is looking like more like a $410-430 proposition if you want a game and online subscription. And then more than $500 if you want an extra controller.

I believe that's been confirmed not to be the case, about the app I mean. It's just the app only works if you're subscribing to the online service. So when they said the app would be free to use this summer, they didn't mean it would cost extra on top of the service come the fall.

Ont

Both Sony and Nintendo online services started as a free service, and both services were/are really bad.

I am fine with paying an annual subscription fee for the online service if that gives me access to the dedicated servers and better online performance.

When Microsoft does online gaming really well (Titanfall, Killer Instinct) they deserve my money.

I don't think Nintendo or Sony can match Microsoft here any time soon, but charging a fee for the online services allows them to dedicate more resources to their online infrastructure.

I hope that with subscription based systems, both Sony and Nintendo can move to dedicated servers and improved performance. Because of this, I still mainly play games online on PC and Xbox One, and Sony and Nintendo consoles are reserved for single-player and local gaming.

Kenstar

mePl3yl.jpg

The jacks right there!
giphy.gif

Seriously, they're going to wonder why Timmy can't get the thing to work where he plays online with his friend Billy, then if they ever understand they need to subscribe to some bullshit, it'll probably be the last Nintendo thing they buy.

In that scenario, wouldn't the parents then move to Xbox or Playstation which both charge for online multiplayer as well? I don't personally think that the idea of charging for online play will destroy Nintendo, but it's on them to present a price that's fair for what they're offering.

Kenstar

For headphone support when using it on the go. Why you can't use it for voice-chat is typical Nintendo.

al30nKT.png

It's labelled as headphone mic terminal in yellow, (ヘッドホンマイク端子)
Breakdown[ヘッドホン(Heddohon)マイク(maiku) 端子(tanshi, terminal)

3rd line: マイク付きヘッドホン, the interesting characters here are "付き", tsuki, that particular kanji means attached or attached to, making it headphone attached to mic

4th line: 接続します, if I can read that tiny char. right that's 接続 (setsuzoku, connect, link, etc)

combining the last 2 lines we get approx 'mic attached headphones will connect'

There's some misinformation either in this image (maybe outdated?) or the official statements

Reggie's statements about "gamer headsets" was done carefully crafted spin. You have to be reaching to think this is a case of miscommunication.

Reggie's statements about "gamer headsets" was done carefully crafted spin. You have to be reaching to think this is a case of miscommunication.

Preach! I think I've seen you jump into every thread related to Nintendo's online plans to tell us why we should be mad. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but why go through so much effort?

-shadow-

It's labelled as headphone mic terminal in yellow, (ヘッドホンマイク端子)
Breakdown[ヘッドホン(Heddohon)マイク(maiku) 端子(tanshi, terminal)

3rd line: マイク付きヘッドホン, the interesting characters here are "付き", wsuki, that particular kanji means attached or attached to, making it headphone attached to mic

4th line: 接続します, if I can read that tiny char. right that's 接続 (setsuzoku, connect, link, etc)

combining the last 2 lines we get approx 'mic attached headphones will connect'

There's some misinformation either in this image (maybe outdated?) or the official statements
Thanks, the English version just states 'audio jack' and nothing more. So I hope the image and your translation is correct and that the Switch itself also supports voice-chat. Nintendo has been really, really unclear what their plans are.

Does anyone know if this system supports bluetooth?

I'd love to use my lg tone with this.
I believe the system does have Bluetooth. But nothings been confirmed if you can use it for headphone however. Might just be there for the joy-cons to connect.

Top Bottom