• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

Because people are willing to pay for this stuff. MS started this trend. I don't blame Nintendo for following suit. The service needs to be stellar though.

Yup. Had a bad feeling this would happen since seeing as microsoft/sony have their users locked down with paid subs would mean there would be no large backlash. The usual console warriors can't even really make a big deal about it because now you have paid online on all 3 main consoles. Oh well now I gotta skip it so I don't feed into the concept even more. What a shame.

Air

Banned
I don't want to get my hopes up, but there's a chance the service could be cheap since they're giving a 1 month rental for very old games. But I've been wrong on almost everything when it comes to this system so who knows

Quixzlizx

How can they not have voice/lobby chat ready for launch?

How incompetent are they? They are over two generations behind at this point.

Linkark07

Banned

That is what surprises me about they charging online. If at least they would offer a good service on launch, instead, it seems to be as mediocre as it was on Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

Drackhorn

Only 1 free game per month? And it's a NES or SNES game? LOL
Nintendo will never learn...
Is it confirmed that the game will get locked after one month? If so this would be my main gripe. You cannot build a catalogue of games this way like you can with with GWG and PS+. I could not imagine gamers accepting this if it is true.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
By faaar the most disappointing news for me, absolutely hate it. Subscription based paid online is a big reason to why I stick to PC instead of ps/xb. I really hoped Nintendo would stick to free online :(

I like Nintendo, and I even find that Nintendo's online services generally work perfectly well—but there is no freaking way I am paying for online. Just as I will never pay for online on any other console.

Guess I will continue playing Splatoon on my Wii U. Shame too.

If it's cheap like Pokemon Bank or the MK8 DLC I'd be... okay. Like if we're talking £3-4 a month, max.
Wait this means no Pokemon trading right unless you pay? I wonder how that one will go down
I'm sure they will have exceptions. No pokemon trading would be beyond silly. I imagine it'll work like PS+ - anything that's not actually PvP or co-op gameplay will be free.

Mupod

By faaar the most disappointing news for me, absolutely hate it. Subscription based paid online is a big reason to why I stick to PC instead of ps/xb. I really hoped Nintendo would stick to free online :(

yep...I play online on Nintendo systems for one reason and that's Monster Hunter. Outside of MH the times I've been online were the aysnchronous stuff in 3D world, a little bit of Mario Kart, some co-op in Xenoblade. Nothing I would pay extra for, but it would be lame being locked out of those features. I'm already done with paying for online on the PS4 and will drop Plus when it expires (they jacked the price up in Canada).

My friends are just as sick of that shit and all of our multiplayer games these days are PC. Fighting games are the only console games I play online frequently and those have been coming out on PC just fine lately.

Guevara

Paid online subscriptions give an incumbency advantage to the market leader and have made the Xbox 360 and PS4 more sticky, but at the same time they are a disadvantage to a market challenger, because it's very hard to justify paying for multiple subs.

flohen95

I did, too, but I expected them to go this route anyway. There are little downsides for the company, since Microsoft and Sony quite effectively showed that more than enough people are fine with it.

I have so far successfully avoided paying for online gaming and I plan to continue this, but Nintendo joining in on the fun makes it certainly harder for me.

Wait this means no Pokemon trading right unless you pay? I wonder how that one will go down

I'm sure Nintendo is banking on this being the thing that forces pulls most of the userbase to pay for their online.

Could be a brilliant move to take advantage of the Pokemon obsession. Could be a disaster. Will be interesting to watch unfold, none-the-less.

Kssio_Aug

Probably. Most certainly.

If it's cheap like Pokemon Bank or the MK8 DLC I'd be... okay. Like if we're talking £3-4 a month, max.

I'm sure they will have exceptions. No pokemon trading would be beyond silly. I imagine it'll work like PS+ - anything that's not actually PvP or co-op gameplay will be free.

I think any interaction between players (other than chat) is under the paywall for PS Plus, isn't it? You can't simply "play online with others" in any form without a subscription. Or am I missing something?

CyberChulo

- Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

What does this mean? You need to use another device to chat? Like your own phone or tablet?

Apathy

- Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

What does this mean? You need to use another device to chat? Like your own phone or tablet?

Yup

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure Nintendo is banking on this being the thing that forces pulls most of the userbase to pay for their online.

Could be a brilliant move to take advantage of the Pokemon obsession. Could be a disaster. Will be interesting to watch unfold, none-the-less.

How many parents are going to be up to pay $40 a year subscription so their kids can trade Pokemon? I don't see paid online working out for Nintendo regardless of how competitive it ends up being with PS+ and XBL, it completely goes against having a system for kids to play on.

Dr. Buni

Voice chat, lobby and whatever are entirely pointless to me, so even if those features were ready, I would still be against paying for online.

The reason that PSN and XBL can get away with it is because people want to play their Call of Duty, Battlefield, Overwatch, Destiny, and in Microsofts case Halo and Gears along with other major shooters and even sports games.

Nintendo will have Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash(?). Yeah this won't end well if they charge a full $60. Maybe $20-$30 max would be the price where this won't completely blow up in their faces.

Gleethor

"Everyone has a smartphone these days, what are we going to do to make our mobile gaming system appealing?"

"Hmmmm......everyone, you say? I've got an idea!"

joecanada

"Everyone has a smartphone these days, what are we going to do to make our mobile gaming system appealing?"

"Hmmmm......everyone, you say? I've got an idea!"

but why wouldn't everyone just use a free app like Skype then? why would anyone pay to do on a phone what everyone does now for free??

"I get to pay twice to talk on my phone".

actually on second thought its a great money maker they should also charge you for minutes like a cell phone plan lol.

jelly

What is the monthly price if you buy a month or year on PS/X?

$60 Full price, 12 months works out at

PSN - $5/month
Xbox Live - $5/month

Nintendo would need some balls to price their at that but looking at what they unveiled, controller prices and the fact they are giving some games away for a month at a time, I think they might be close to that.

Servbot24

Banned
$60 Full price, 12 months works out at

PSN - $5/month
Xbox Live - $5/month

Nintendo would need some balls to price their at that but looking at what they unveiled, controller prices and the fact they are giving some games away for a month at a time, I think they might be close to that.

There are often sales though, you should really never pay more than $40/mo.

PseudoViper

Idk how to feel about this...

Nintendo's online services have always been crappy to say the least. But on the plus side at least it's free until the Fall, so early adopters get to see if it's worth the price.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Why why why doesn't Nintendo just make a Spotify streaming service for all of their old games. It is so fucking easy and would make them billions. The business model has already been proven to work!

I love the Switch but they are botching the online stuff badly.

opricnik

Banned
Oh boy i am too excited to play PS3 port of FIFA Legacy Edition for 60$ + 60$ online sub based with My Wii U sorry with my Switch.

tabs2002

And you have to pay Nintendo for it

I can almost guarantee that this will be super cheap. I'm not concerned yet. If they charge PS+/XBL prices it is DOA.

Maybe they're gauging whether people will view it negatively and get rid of it if it bombs. Doubtful though. They will try a lower price first. My guess is 50 dollars

Top Bottom