• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo have a catalog of Wii, 3DS and Wii U games.

You matched Sony's PS3/Vita/PSP by offering these games, Nintendo.

Not VC, not free for only a month.

Will I be able to reset VC NES games and actually reset them? Or will still have to delete Mario Brothers and re-download it to get gumbas back instead of the black beetles?

Haven't some NES ports to XBLA had online multiplayer added for a long, long time now? Like almost since the launch of the Xbox 360?

I'm ok with Nintendo consoles being my second console. That's how it is nowadays. But to make me pay for online is bs when I have to pay online elsewhere on console to play games like Destiny that will probably never be on Nintendo consoles.

I love the concept of Switch, unlike most, and for games I know they will be there, I mean I think I can not even play Zelda with my time, I am a filthy casual now.

This is what I hate from the PS4 and XB1, now Nintendo, not good. Like I said I own PS4 and I don't pay as I don't have time but still it sucks...

maybe I will be moving to a cheap pc that can play most games and a Switch

Zomba13

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

What does this mean?

Wait... So does that mean the rest of the world can't play online at launch?

I'd imagine in the same way that PS+ and XBLG games are free for a month. But read it how you want to.

It's the part where the specify "play". If it was just "Download a game for free for a month" then that implies PS+/GWG style thing, but the "download and play for a month" bit makes it seem like it'll be this cycling "game of the month" thing.

Nesther

Wait... So does that mean the rest of the world can't play online at launch?

I assume the rest of the world just doesn't get the Nintendo Plus monthly lineup or whatever they're going to call it, until later. Online will be free in the beginning.

MCN

Banned
Your snark is awesome because ps and xblg don't take it away after a month.

Which is exactly my fucking point. People are just assuming it gets taken away after a month because that's how they want to read it. It could just as easily be read as it's free to download for a month, in EXACTLY the same way as XBLG and PS+

What is the appeal here?

VC NES and SNES games that people would probably just download on their PC anyway? Why would anyone want this?

Which is exactly my fucking point. People are just assuming it gets taken away after a month because that's how they want to read it. It could just as easily be read as it's free to download for a month, in EXACTLY the same way as XBLG and PS+

It says download and play for a month though.

It's badly worded if you can play for longer than a month.

Meanwhile; Sony offers six games over their three platforms, and Microsoft offers four games over their two (and makes the old platforms games play on the new one). Their systems also have great third party support, so you'll be able to play things like Titanfall, Battlefield, and Overwatch on them along with their respective first party outputs.

Even if I buy a Switch, that online subscription is just not appealing.

PR_rambo

Banned
I'd imagine in the same way that PS+ and XBLG games are free for a month. But read it how you want to.

"Subscribers will get to download and play a NES or SNES game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month."

The wording here implies you download and then play that one game for a whole month, as opposed to "download a NES/SNES game monthly" for free with a subscription to Ninty Online!

That's how I read it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They need to clarify "for a month" thing.

Online play on old VC titles is amazing. They need to confirm proper voice chat though.

theWB27

They specifically worded it...download AND play for a month.

I guess they think they have a Wii situation right here... I thought the system is appealing but I don't think this will be a Wii situation again.. I am buying it though, I love Nintendo and what I saw

NSESN

I didn't like the price but i feel tha ican survive 300 dollars. But the online sure is disappointing and deal breaker.

seantos

Neo Member
How is this stuff this confusing this close to launch. This is why you don't wait a month and a half before launch to announce things because now there is barely any time to clear this up. This is worse than the wii u launch for how confusing this all is.

How the fuck does Nintendo still think their NES and SNES games are THIS fucking valuable? What is wrong with those people? "Ok we'll give them away....BUT only for a month!"

Jims

SNES games with online functionality added to them... Does this mean we could get Tetris Attack with online play? Because Tetris Attack with online would rule.

The online pricing makes me nervous, though. I want to see the plan details before completely passing judgment but it's concerning.

Lebon14

Worst thing to come up from the presentation. BY FAR.

I play online SOMETIMES and never enough to justify a subscription to a service. *sigh*

Well, to be fair, look at the NES Mini sales hype (well, and lack of availability).

That as a novelty. I don't think that represents any kind of meaningful demand for this whole piece meal "one game at a time that you can borrow" thing. If anything, the success of the NES mini is more reason to dump these old ass games in bunches and not treat them as these special masterpieces. Who in their right mind, outside of the out of touch minds at Nintendo, honestly thinks one old ass rom per month is going to entice anybody to subscribe to a service? They badly overvalue the strength of these titles.

jett

D-Member
How the fuck does Nintendo still think their NES and SNES games are THIS fucking valuable? What is wrong with those people? "Ok we'll give them away....BUT only for a month!"

They see people paying $5 for NES roms and 8$ for SNES roms and think "AHAHAUAHAUHAUHAHA"

I don't even like paying for Xbox live and they almost always give something away I like. No way I'm getting a switch and then paying for online to get a free rom of a 30 year old game I've probably already played to death.

Jonboy

I honestly cannot believe they're asking us to pay for online when they've yet to show they can deliver a feature-complete online interface.

Arkam

Ouch. This is the kind of thing where it'd almost be better if they didn't have it at all if they're gonna do it this way.

No not its not at all. Something I can play for a month then have to "give back for another" vs NOTHING.... yea ill take the former every single time.

And think outside the box, If there is a month where everybody who is online on the switch has a game (that they lose at the end of the month) dont you think it is more likely to have activity then if they gave it to you and just went into your backlog (to NEVER played)?

The wording makes it sound like a really bad deal even though I love paying old games.
The online better be cheap because the competition is pretty fucking serious regarding the total value of the games they add every month.

Crayons

Banned
Now that I can play Balloon Fight for free for thirty days with some stranger across the world, at last, I can truly die happy. Thanks Nintendo.

Top Bottom