• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reps at Eurogamer Expo claiming 'Wii U 19x more powerful than PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
If this is someone (most likely) just having a little fun with the intended audience, I tip my hat. Why not break up the sterility with a nutty claim here and there. Seems harmless enough in this scenario.
While a little gentle ribbing is fine, it's not very Nintendo, I doubt they'd hire a PR company that wouldn't rigidly follow their instruction.

I think there's almost no chance this conversation ever took place.

Randdalf

Seems a reasonable statement to make to me (even though it was probably somebody making something up because he was put under pressure). If Nintendo is utilising 1-2 year old technology to build the Wii U then 19 times more powerful sounds reasonable. To be honest, you can't really quantify "more powerful" in the video game sense because there's loads of different factors to consider within the architecture of the platform, how it is constructed, what processors exactly are inside the machine etc. The rep could totally be right if you compared two aspects of the systems, and totally wrong if you compared two others, there's too many factors to make any estimate at all of some broad "power" statistic for a console.

Acosta

hahahaha

What's that? near 9 TFLOPS? wow. Nintendo skips three generations!

I would love to know the "logic" behind that number.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If the PS3 were 250 GFLOPS (it's actually ~450 with cell) that would mean the Wii U is 4.75 TFLOPS.

Taking the 450 number 19 times is 8.55 TFLOPS.

Lol.

K.
fixed.

Nintendo representatives on the day informed me that it was “19 times more powerful than PS3”.

super_mario_wii_u_screen2.png

Lol...

Medalion

Banned
Nah this is a positive Wii U spec thread, if it was a bad Wii U spec thread than it would get 1000+ pages.

Good observation, however you underestimate the retaliatory arguments about GRAFIX and UNDERCLOCKED CPU's! and posting of screenshots of PS3 and 360 games that look way way better than any launch Wii-U game so far

While a little gentle ribbing is fine, it's not very Nintendo, I doubt they'd hire a PR company that wouldn't rigidly follow their instruction.

I think there's almost no chance this conversation ever took place.

For sure, definitely out of character for Nintendo in many ways. I was intentionally overlooking that, imagining as high as the stakes are, there is still room for a little playground tomfoolery.

Mit-

Why do people still report on what reps say at events?

I guarantee 95% of people who read this site know more about this industry than the majority of "reps" out there. Reps are regular people who interact well with others and probably read a packet of information and familiarize themselves with a demo before representing their company.

Ryoku

While I don't believe the claims of "19x more powerful than PS3", I can't believe that people take that to mean 19x the FLOPs of PS3. The multipliers themselves don't do anything really useful, either.

D-e-f-

Banned
Why is there even a thread about this?

random multiplier threads should just be flat out banned. It means nothing, it only causes pointless arguing.

I truely find it odd when employees representing a company make far fetched statements that dance on the line of misinformation. Especially when those will be proven as such in the very near future.

In this day and age I have no idea why someone would discredit themselves by making a statement, that will no doubt, be repeated for years to come. Have these PR people completely forgotten about 'Toy Story grafix!' and the like?

Odd.

Blades64

Banned
Well this certainly eased all my concerns. 4K resolutions, or all games at 1080p/60fps confirmed.

Now people will be happy that Nintendo stole their games. Lol.

Blades64

Banned
Why is there even a thread about this?

random multiplier threads should just be flat out banned. It means nothing, it only causes pointless arguing.

Take a chill pill, son. I don't think anybody's taking this seriously. I mean come on, even Nintendo fans have to admit that this is outside the realm of possibility. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom