• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

EhoaVash

Lol @stock buyers not doing research before hand. Like they should of known how much of Pokemon Nintendo actually owns, also the profit sharing differences among apple/Google/niantic/ and the Pokemon company ( which itself is split between 3 companies gamefreak, Nintendo, and creatures Inc ) lol

etta

my hard graphic balls
People in the stock market is so goddamn fickle
Let's see you put your money in a stock and then see your reaction based on others' reaction based on the company of said stock giving negative news. Speculation is a bitch, and people just did what they thought it was best for their money.

Ponn

Banned
Even if they don't make money directly from the app, surely the cultural craze surrounding it will bring some positive energy to the Pokemon brand?

I mean, the mobile platform and strategy has had an arguable impact on consumer culture but has any app by itself had any longstanding impact? The whole mobile strategy has been more of a throw away "burn bright then burn out" onto the next one model. The Pokemon brand itself was the draw and catalyst of the apps success.

Msyjsm

Huh. And I always thought it was a word. Guess you lean something new every day.

I'd say it's common enough to be considered "a word". Language is defined by usage. But the problem is that it has the exact same meaning as "regardless" but with one extra syllable, so it's mostly useless, unless you're writing some metered verse.

Back on topic...yeah, the stock market is dumb. Honestly, I feel like the entire financial world is just a massive waste of time and resources, particularly the large number of intelligent, highly educated people who decide that moving numbers around to make certain people's large numbers even larger is worth dedicating their lives to.

wmlk

Lol @stock buyers not doing research before hand. Like they should of known how much of Pokemon Nintendo actually owns, also the profit sharing differences among apple/Google/niantic/ and the Pokemon company ( which itself is split between 3 companies gamefreak, Nintendo, and creatures Inc ) lol

What's wrong with buying their stock? It was low and people sold high. That's the point.

People who were smart did just that. It's always a speculation and decision based on what you think will happen.

I think the far more likely scenario is that there is pressure to be transparent on this because misleading investors isn't a very prudent thing to do both for legal or moral reasons. I highly doubt they are downplaying the amount of money they are making from this to prop up their core business.
Exactly, Nintendo knew they were being overvalued and spoke up with the truth to be above board about the situation. The last thing they want is to be accused of driving up their market value from a game they are not 100% vested in.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
People saying investors are dumb make me pause.

Many publications mentioned that Nintendo will be making a killing based on Pokemon GO's performance. Nintendo could not take a back seat and let various professional publications continue that narrative. Now the stock has taken a beating because Nintendo clarified the complicated relationship that Nintendo has with The Pokemon Company and IP ownership.

Someone at Nintendo really fucked up in letting a dev use their IP with only a 13% stake in the game. They would never do anything close to that in the console space.

atr0cious

Let's see you put your money in a stock and then see your reaction based on others' reaction based on the company of said stock giving negative news. Speculation is a bitch, and people just did what they thought it was best for their money.
I've had Nintendo stock for almost 2 years now. The market crash deficit got erased over night, and I still haven't sold. Knew this would happen, especially since most of the stock speculation was like "Nintendo should make mobile games" completely ignorant of their plans to do just that. Probably gonna buy some more next week, since it's no longer double my original entry prices.

Elios83

This is simply how the market works.
Some people decided to impulse-buy stock thinking that the Pokemon Go success (and Nintendo developing more mobile games in the future) would provide a huge growth opportunity for the company in the future and that propeled the share price up in an abnormal way.
A bunch of old shareholders are now selling thinking that it's unlikely that the price of their shares is going to get any better than this in the future and they're enjoying a good profit on their sale.
So the spike is nullified.
There's really nothing surprising but it's normal that you make headlines in both ways (when you're going quickly up and quickly down).

Kintor

Banned
The fun part if of course considering the implications of how far Nintendo's shares could plunge now. This noticeable downturn can easily trigger panic selling for Nintendo shares in general, as speculative investors quickly try to dump all their Nintendo shares. So that when all is said and done Nintendo's market value ultimately ends up worse than before the launch of Pokemon GO.

Playing up the overbought nature of their stock or even just refraining from informing investors isn't something any company wants to do. At a certain point you get in trouble with regulators, but long before that becomes a possibility is the line between healthy sustainable growth and out-of-control short-term growth. Just look at a graph of Twitter's stock price to see what an app with enormous societal impact can turn into if you don't find a way to make money from it.

jayu26

When it comes to tech and software (especially software) most of the investors don't know what they are doing.

Having said that, whose dumb idea was to say the impact is limited?

Occam

It's actually down nearly 30% from where it was 7 days ago, when it reached its peak. Which was to be expected.
Anyone who purchased Nintendo stock last Monday isn't exactly a smart investor.

When it comes to tech and software (especially software) most of the investors don't know what they are doing.

Having said that, whose dumb idea was to say the impact is limited?

The guy who didn't want a stockholder backlash for not saying anything sooner.

kswiston

The stock price should never have doubled. Hobby investors and people who know nothing about the gaming market saw all the Pokemon Go news reports and acted like they were getting into the ground floor of some small start up company.

Even if Pokemon Go pulled in $5M a day for the next year and Nintendo kept all of it (minus whatever Google/Apple take as their cut), Nintendo would see their annual revenue go up by about 1/3. Pokemon is most likely not going to pull in $5M a day for the next year, and as the OP states, Nintendo's cut is pretty minor. It would take 5-10 games that size to justify the crazy bump in stock prices/market cap.

D.Lo

The share gain was pretty insane for just one thing. Wii/DS share gains made perfect sense since they were making $10 billion profit a year, this one was far too quick. Just investors being dumb I guess.

I don't trust Mr Macquarie Securities analyst though. It looks like he's just taken 30% off for Apple/Google, assumed 50/50 Niantic/Pokemon Company, then divided by three-ish for Nintendo's stake in the Pokemon company.

Through in reality they also part own Creatures Inc, have a stake in Niantic (who I highly doubt get 50% of the revenue anyway), and are the sole owners of all Pokemon trademarks. The game's revenue isn't that high to massively impact Nintendo (even if they got all of it and it's sustained it would only add like maybe 25% to their total), but no way they get only 13% of effective financial impact.

lynux3

Expected. People bought and cashed out. It's just a fad. Nintendo at the end of the day is still not worth the current market value.

ocean

Banned
The stock price should never have doubled. Hobby investors and people who know nothing about the gaming market saw all the Pokemon Go news reports and acted like they were getting into the ground floor of some small start up company.

Even if Pokemon Go pulled in $5M a day for the next year and Nintendo kept all of it (minus whatever Google/Apple take as their cut), Nintendo would see their annual revenue go up by about 1/3. Pokemon is most likely not going to pull in $5M a day for the next year, and as the OP states, Nintendo's cut is pretty minor. It would take 5-10 games that size to justify the crazy bump in stock prices/market cap.
Hobby investors don't trade nearly enough volume to produce such a dramatic spike in such a large company.

This is more likely the result of institutional investors realizing an above-expected surge in prices pending this game's release and feeling they might have overdone it, thus executing all the forward contracts they used to hedge their position (bringing then price down). This sort of corrective contraction is normal.

Stock price movements for "popular" companies for the general public (Apple, Google, Nintendo etc) get published by non-trade press. People who aren't well versed in the markets try to parse the information and come up with all sorts of strange explanations but this kind of swing would have gone unnoticed if it were the stock for a less mass-popular company.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've had Nintendo stock for almost 2 years now. The market crash deficit got erased over night, and I still haven't sold. Knew this would happen, especially since most of the stock speculation was like "Nintendo should make mobile games" completely ignorant of their plans to do just that. Probably gonna buy some more next week, since it's no longer double my original entry prices.
Yea but how much did you have invested and at the same time afford to not cash out when the stock was speculated to dive?
I'm not talking about the stockholders that have insignificant sums invested, I'm talking about those bigger fish who had a lot to lose and panicked because of that.

Orca

Even if they don't make money directly from the app, surely the cultural craze surrounding it will bring some positive energy to the Pokemon brand?

Positive energy sure. What are the odds of Nintendo doing something smart to capitalize on that in a major way?

Sorcerer

I guess it was more good publicity for Nintendo than an actual money maker for them directly, and people did not grasp that.
It seemed Apple was the biggest winner in the end.

Top Bottom