• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo still cannot transfer Switch saves (Polygon) [Up: They can, but not you]

Spy

And other people have sent theirs in and had their saves transferred. Some have had customer reps explicitly tell them saves can be transferred/recovered so this singular example is far from definitive. We're still getting too many conflicting reports
Are we sure those people just didn't receive the same Switch console back, thus the reason for their saves still being there.

I thought we all knew this? This is just more old news coming from Polygon to get more clicks.

Why do people even go to that site anymore?

And other people have sent theirs in and had their saves transferred. Some have had customer reps explicitly tell them saves can be transferred/recovered so this singular example is far from definitive. We're still getting too many conflicting reports

Yeah, I've read people on both gaf and Reddit say that they've had saves moved. I don't see why they'd lie.

Here's part of my repair notes:

jjzZDUN.png

OqoSnfd.png

Nintendo transferred the saves to my new system, yes.

Should be put in the OP.

Are we sure those people just didn't receive the same Switch console back, thus the reason for their saves still being there.

Theoretically, Nintendo could be lying when they say one of the services they provided was to "exchange main unit."

/s

I'm willing to bet no Polygon article will be made on this

But that's the point. Polygon make a declarative statement about something that they don't know for sure, which is awful journalism
No, OP made a declarative statement.

The Polygon article doesn't have that headline, and actually contains a snapshot of this form in its entirety.

Rappy

We all know how frustrating it is that Switch owners have no way to transfer or backup save data yet. Some have been under the impression that Nintendo support has tools to transfer or recover Switch save data. But, if this Polygon report is correct, not even Nintendo themselves has that ability yet.

Basically, if you have a Switch with a problem of some kind, and also have some significant game saves on it, DO NOT send it to Nintendo for a replacement yet. Because it will probably mean losing all that hard won progress, forever.

This really is bad, and needs to get as much exposure as possible, because Nintendo should be ashamed and embarrassed on behalf of their customers. And I say that as someone who loves Nintendo and the Switch.
The article is at odds with itself because they it always isn't the case. It's more like whoever did the repair just didn't transfer the saves. I have a different system than the original I sent in. I have my Zelda file.

It took how many years for the PS4 to support External HDD? We can seriously wait a couple of months until their online rolls out. I would expect this to be resolved by then.

If not, then that's when I'll start worrying.

It's one thing for random forum goers to make mistakes, but it's another for a gaming publication to jump the gun. It's their job to ensure their stories have been properly vetted.

Polygon stay losing

You should also put in the OP that Polygon never said what you're saying they said.

What Polygon said:

The Nintendo Switch locks your data and saved games to a single system. You can't upload them to the cloud, you can't access them from the same account on another piece of hardware and you can't move them to an SD card to keep them safe.

This is very bad news when Nintendo itself isn't able to move your data to a new system.

Writer Anthony John Agnello sent his system to Nintendo for repair, and not only did he report that the replacement system also had issues, the letter that came with the new system stated that Nintendo wasn't able to move his saved games nor data to the new system. All that time spend on Breath of the Wild? Gone. Nintendo has confirmed to us that there is no way to move the files from one system to another, but the assumption was that Nintendo itself would be able to do so if you system were damaged.

That assumption turned out to be wrong.

This isn't always the case, as we've also seen reports where returned systems included the player's original files, but it shouldn't be happening at all. Every other competing system on the planet, save for Nintendo's own consoles, have a way to migrate data to keep your saved games and files safe or keeps them stored in the cloud.

How you read the Polygon article:

The Nintendo Switch locks your data and saved games to a single system. You can't upload them to the cloud, you can't access them from the same account on another piece of hardware and you can't move them to an SD card to keep them safe.

This is very bad news because Nintendo itself isn't able to move your data to a new system.

Writer Anthony John Agnello sent his system to Nintendo for repair, and not only did he report that the replacement system also had issues, the letter that came with the new system stated that Nintendo doesn't have the capability to move saved games nor data to the new system at all. All that time spend on Breath of the Wild? Gone. Nintendo has confirmed to us that there is no way to move the files from one system to another, but the assumption was that Nintendo itself would be able to do so if you system were damaged.

It's one thing for random forum goers to make mistakes, but it's another for a gaming publication to jump the gun. It's their job to ensure their stories have been properly vetted.

Polygon stay losing

Turns out the article is fine, and is right to be pointing out that you might lose your save file, it's the title of this thread which is absolutely false. Even the article says Nintendo can indeed transfer or recover your saves.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It took how many years for the PS4 to support External HDD? We can seriously wait a couple of months until their online rolls out. I would expect this to be resolved by then.

If not, then that's when I'll start worrying.

The two aren't comparable.

Nintendo is literally holding your save files hostage.

OK, but that should not be the average consumers worry.

Right! I'm definitely not saying that it's consumer friendly in this context. But usually some sort of save transfer system is designed so that you can Switch from console to console. As Switch is meant to go with you everywhere, lost/damaged/stolen/defective consoles present the only scenario in which you would "need" one.

Doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't have accounted for this, but I can see why it was low priority.

I just changed the thread title. I didn't read carefully, got mad and jumped the gun. Sorry.

I do this sometimes. As long as you're willing to promptly correct yourself (and you are), you're good! =)

anyway, now that that's sorted out:

Why the hell can't I just put saves on an SD card and access them anywhere that I log into my Nintendo Account, Nintendo? That'd be a great solution in the interim before you inevitably include cloud saves in your paid online.

Aalvi

It amazes me how barebones the Nintendo Switch OS is.

It's like they pretend any standard set by prior products or competitors doesn't exist.

NeonBlack

The article does bring up the fact that this is not always the issue. But not having this be a user capability is the problem.

This isn’t always the case, as we’ve also seen reports where returned systems included the player’s original files, but it shouldn’t be happening at all. Every other competing system on the planet, save for Nintendo’s own consoles, have a way to migrate data to keep your saved games and files safe or keeps them stored in the cloud.

mindatlarge

Good to know saves can be transferred to a new unit if sent in for repair. Still a bummer this can't be accomplished, as of yet, on the end user's side though. I really don't wanna lose my BotW save any time soon, over 100 hours so far, if I ever get a new Switch or a revision comes out that I want. Hopefully Nintendo addresses this issue down the road on the consumer side of things, sooner rather than later.

Peltz

The article is at odds with itself because they it always isn't the case. It's more like whoever did the repair just didn't transfer the saves. I have a different system than the original I sent in. I have my Zelda file.

Thanks for confirming. Amazing reporting by Polygon /s

We were expecting this to change in one month because... ?

Because its a known issue and should have been a priority for the most recent firmware update. I mean, how does something this obvious not get caught during the testing phase?

Minsc

Gold Member
I fixed the title. It's still important to point out to people there is no ability to transfer or backup save files for the end user, and there is no cloud backup system in place, so I have no problem with another thread. They really need to address this ASAP.

Vitacat

The reporting is accurate, the OP is incorrect and everyone else who didn't read the article

I have changed the topic title, but not sure the change is showing on the forum. I also fixed the post itself.

I've already admitted I f-d up and apologized. I was mad and went too fast and didn't read carefully, obviously.

I fixed the title. It's still important to point out to people there is no ability to transfer or backup save files for the end user, and there is no cloud backup system in place, so I have no problem with another thread. They really need to address this ASAP.

THANK YOU

qko

Heck, even the GCN let you copy saves.

Yeah but if the memory card got corrupted, you were SoL.

From the sounds of it, if you send a Switch to Nintendo and they determine the save cannot be transferred then they don't transfer it. Otherwise if can be transferred, they do it.

The 3DS allowed you to backup saves years after launch. I'm hoping at some point they figure out how to do it to their liking I guess.

RRockman

Banned
I just changed the thread title. I didn't read carefully, got mad and jumped the gun. Sorry.

It's OK! No big deal. It's funny though: When I consider losing my BotW Save data, I realized it'll just give me an excuse to play the game in a new way, like Samurai style only or something silly. :3

I really think we'lll get cloud saves with paid online but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think the soonest we can expect a update that offers more user options when it comes to save backups would be with MK8D. If not its probably not happening pre e3.

I mean that one is the obvious problem.

Top Bottom