• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock hits a 5-year high

wiibomb

The boost to brand awareness alone is incredible. With a good market campaign (+ smart connection to Go) Sun/Moon are bound to make some waves this holiday season.

this is how marketing works.

Iwata himself said this when they announced their smartphone initiative, one idea is to make brand awareness to the public so they go to the consoles and play their games.

Judging alone by what my friends are talking, it is working nicely, they are interested in S/M

Rncewind

The boost to brand awareness alone is incredible. With a good market campaign (+ smart connection to Go) Sun/Moon are bound to make some waves this holiday season.

So people play a f2p game on their Smartphone, a device which A) They own already B) The game is free C) On a device which they have on them all the time D) the game dont play ANYTHING like normal pokemon.

And thats equals to: alot of people now gonna get a 3ds and Pokemon, as if like they dont know what pokemon was before and the game is anything similiar?

Yeah im gonna still doubt it

Great time to sell, because absent Pokemon Go, there is very little in the pipeline until NX.

But a message is being sent Nintendo's way: software is king.

Rncewind

Great time to sell, because absent Pokemon Go, there is very little in the pipeline until NX.

But a message is being sent Nintendo's way: software is king.

Dont know tbh. the App is pretty unpolished for a Nintendo game and almost a carbon copy to apps existing with pokemon skin.

I would say the message is not restrict your franchises to your declining plattforms.

openrob

Iwata himself said this when they announced their smartphone initiative, one idea is to make brand awareness to the public so they go to the consoles and play their games.

Judging alone by what my friends are talking, it is working nicely, they are interested in S/M

Almost as if they knew what they were doing...

nubbe

I think there is still room for the hype bubble to grow with animal crossing and fire emblem on the way.

Granted they arrive before NX is announced.
NX is a total wild card.

Nintendo needs to get the Pokemon Go Plus device out by the end of this month with Android Support. That will allow them to capitalize even more on Pokemon Go's popularity while giving it an additional boost of headlines.

Of course Niantic also need to get Pokemon Go's server issues resolved and get it releases in other countries as soon as possible.

Nintendo has a chance to make a lot of Pokemon through merchandise and licensing. Will be interesting to continue to monitor how this impacts Nintendo.

Guevara

The more I think about this, the more it seems like an irrational market reaction.

Someone is making some money off these wild swings.

Rncewind

Nintendo needs to get the Pokemon Go Plus device out by the end of this month with Android Support. That will allow them to capitalize even more on Pokemon Go's popularity while giving it an additional boost of headlines.

Of course Niantic also need to get Pokemon Go's server issues resolved and get it releases in other countries as soon as possible.

Nintendo has a chance to make a lot of Pokemon through merchandise and licensing. Will be interesting to continue to monitor how this impacts Nintendo.

Yeah i think too this is where they gonna make big money

Acerac

Banned
Am i the only person with a concern about this? Can't gaining that much money from a not even finished mobile game shift Nintendo's focus from consoles to mobile?

No, fans of traditional pokemon games seem absolutely terrified of this game's success. You are certainly not alone.

So people play a f2p game on their Smartphone, a device which A) They own already B) The game is free C) On a device which they have on them all the time D) the game dont play ANYTHING like normal pokemon.

And thats equals to: alot of people now gonna get a 3ds and Pokemon, as if like they dont know what pokemon was before and the game is anything similiar?

Yeah im gonna still doubt it

Of course 100% of Pokemon Go players aren't going to play Sun and Moon that's just impossible. Those two (three?) games serve entirely different purposes. But what Pokemon Go accomplished more than anything is make people more aware of Pokemon as a brand than ever before, and keep in mind that Pokemon has always been a huge franchise. That means that inevitably people are either going to start getting interested or become getting interested again in Pokemon. And with a new game coming out in the fall which is when everybody is less likely to go outside Sun and Moon, or the first gen or whatever is going to get a boost in playerbase by those new players looking to get a fix of Pokemon. Anything that gives more awareness to a brand is always a plus behind the company behind that brand.

Jacobi

Banned

Haven't heard of anyone buying Nintendo hardware because of Go

VariantX

No, fans of traditional pokemon games seem absolutely terrified of this game's success. You are certainly not alone.

It's kind of a unfounded fear, those games are worlds apart and serve different groups of people. Pokemon GO is perfect for people who like pokemon as a franchise but have no interest whatsoever in buying dedicated hardware or buying the games themselves. It's more like being able to live out the fantasy of being in that world and catching the pokemon yourselves.

Rncewind

Of course 100% of Pokemon Go players aren't going to play Sun and Moon that's just impossible. Those two (three?) games serve entirely different purposes. But what Pokemon Go accomplished more than anything is make people more aware of Pokemon as a brand than ever before, and keep in mind that Pokemon has always been a huge franchise. That means that inevitably people are either going to start getting interested or become getting interested again in Pokemon. And with a new game coming out in the fall which is when everybody is less likely to go outside Sun and Moon, or the first gen or whatever is going to get a boost in playerbase by those new players looking to get a fix of Pokemon. Anything that gives more awareness to a brand is always a plus behind the company behind that brand.

I didnt anywhere disagree with more brand awarness, which lead to much more earinings.

But like @ DeuceGamer im not seeing this gonna be through 3ds. I mean yeah its POSTIVE ofc but not that important imo

Are you implying they'll sell both 3DS systems and Sun & Moon copies? Even better!

Pokemon has proven to be a system seller again amd again, in case you didn't know.

Im only implying this when you are thinking a "huge" ammount of people gonna buy a 3ds over this.

Thats like saying star wars 7 is (one) of the biggest movie ever so star wars battfront gonna go sell like gta

But it seems you are already make your mind so why even bother

Also your posts kinda implaying that its gonna have a serious effect on people who have a 3ds? Seriously? How big is the group of people who own a 3ds, not buy pokemon games, but gonna buy it because of pokemon go, a game which has nothing in common with pokemon games?

Doubt it

Cuburt

I should have got in a while ago. I imagine it continuing to rise, even outside of Pokémon Go. If you've been paying attention to their internal changes, we may see lots of big things from Nintendo in coming years. I was es

I actually wish the naysayers were right so the price can dip and I can get in low before the NX.

I'm expecting a 40-50% drop once the honeymoon is over and reality sets in that Nintendo isn't earning much at all from this.

The buying frenzy isn't just about Pokémon GO.

It's about the fact that mobile apps using Nintendo IP actually have real revenue potential, exactly why shareholders have been begging for Nintendo to make mobile games for years.

That could easily turn into a line of business making billions per year.

ika

Anyone has a 10year stock graph to see the DS-Wii era? It'd be interesting how this compares with that crazy times.

I hope investors are clever enough not to punish Nintendo when they reveal the NX and "oh noes! it's not other F2P mobile game!".

I can see the NES mini being the hot Xmas item this year. Its a great gift for gamers or non gamers who grew up in the 80s. Its got that Ellen drgeneres show marketing potential.

Man, some of you folks are being really transparent right now, lol...

Forget about NX for a second--what Pokemon Go portends for Nintendo's mobile output and the strength of its IPs is really exciting. Investors are feeling justifiably bullish on that basis alone, I think. Add to that the possibility that NX may well be a success (Zelda!) and I don't really see a reason to think this wave is going to crash any time soon. Wishful thinking aside.

Rncewind

Forget about NX for a second--what Pokemon Go portends for Nintendo's mobile output and the strength of its IPs is really exciting. Investors are feeling justifiably bullish on that basis alone, I think. Add to that the possibility that NX may well be a success (Zelda!) and I don't really see a reason to think this wave is going to crash any time soon. Wishful thinking aside.

Actually that only shows that Investors are happy when Nintendo does things they wanted for like 5-6 years. Offering their easily recogniziable IPs on succesfull plattforms.

Anth0ny

unfortunately mobile "strengthening" Nintendo's IPs doesn't necessarily mean more $60 console games for those IP, which is all I really care about at the end of the day.

zelda isn't even a top 10 game franchise at this point, it will sell well but not AMAZING. I still don't see NX selling much beyond the gamecube unless nintendo really fires on all cylinders with the thing.

Can't you buy a 2DS for like 80 bucks in the US?
If Nintendo released a 100 dollars bundle for 2DS + Pokemon sun or moon, it'll sell like nuclear hotcakes.

Daknight

I hope they combine the popularity of Pokemon go with merchandise or something. Say catch X amount of pokemon, bring it to a pokecenter and get a discount on one of the pokemon you capture or something!

I am still waiting for it to work on Puerto Rico :(

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
They're only getting money from trademarks and copyright for the most part. Maybe 20-30% of the revenue actually reaches them.

You have no idea what you are talking about and it shows since you are speaking in maybes.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is how well a Nintendo IP can do on mobile even while awareness of most of their IP is in the toilet.

Imagine what could happen if they started pulling out all the stops Breath of the Wild style for franchises beyond Zelda, and if NX is anything better than the complete shitshow that was Wii U.

Neiteio

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is how well a Nintendo IP can do on mobile even while awareness of most of their IP is in the toilet.

Imagine what could happen if they started pulling out all the stops Breath of the Wild style for franchises beyond Zelda, and if NX is anything better than the complete shitshow that was Wii U.
They should use GO as a way to pass along subtle adverts for other Nintendo products

Hell, make it amiibo compatible. "Buy an amiibo of ______ and scan it once a day for a special incense targeting that Pokemon!"

Gestault

This bodes incredibly well for Nintendo's catalog of IPs that a relatively late arrival to mobile can bring in this sort of reaction.

The people have spoken. As much as Nintendo hates the idea of not bringing their games to their own portable devise, mobile is clearly where the market is now. Dedicated handheld gaming devises are dead. Time for Nintendo to wake up and bring all of their big hitting franchises to mobile.

Sandfox

The people have spoken. As much as Nintendo hates the idea of not bringing their games to their own portable devise, mobile is clearly where the market is now. Dedicated handheld gaming devises are dead. Time for Nintendo to wake up and bring all of their big hitting franchises to mobile.

Nintendo is already working on mobile titles.

unfortunately mobile "strengthening" Nintendo's IPs doesn't necessarily mean more $60 console games for those IP, which is all I really care about at the end of the day.

zelda isn't even a top 10 game franchise at this point, it will sell well but not AMAZING. I still don't see NX selling much beyond the gamecube unless nintendo really fires on all cylinders with the thing.

I don't actually think mobile is "strengthening" anything--these are strong IPs waiting to be unleashed to a wider market and mobile is the vector. As a Nintendo fan, I hope this is not a sign of an All Mobile Future (aka The End Times)... but as a business, I think Nintendo would be daft not to make mobile a BIG part of its future plans.

Yeesh, imagine if mobile takes off and NX bombs. What then?

Best case scenario is that NX becomes a viable platform alongside Nintendo's mobile output thanks in part to the buzz surrounding Zelda. The enthusiasm for it at E3 was unreal, and if the critics agree, I can see that game being one of those must-play, can't-miss experiences
especially if preceded by Zelda Go...

Top Bottom