• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock hits a 5-year high

heyf00L

I really think a dedicated Nintendo gaming phone with some buttons on it could sell well. Nintendo 1st party titles alone can keep any hardware afloat.

Chastten

Banned
Pokemon handheld games is the one thing no one needs to be afraid of going away by Nintendo finding succes on mobile. They have been the number one selling games for Nintendo since pretty much 1996. Even if mobile is eventually gonna do bigger numbers, they'll keep the normal games.

Everything else though? Especially their games with less-then-stellar sales? Not sure about those.

No, fans of traditional pokemon games seem absolutely terrified of this game's success. You are certainly not alone.

If they're being alarmist, sure.

Regardless of Go, Pokémon handheld games are still utterly enormous, and will continue to be so. Whatever you worry about in Nintendo's future, Pokémon RPGs should be at the absolute back of the list.

Pachimari

How many mobile games are Nintendo planning to release this year? Did they say they would release one more before the end of the year?

magnumpy

I don't actually think mobile is "strengthening" anything--these are strong IPs waiting to be unleashed to a wider market and mobile is the vector. As a Nintendo fan, I hope this is not a sign of an All Mobile Future (aka The End Times)... but as a business, I think Nintendo would be daft not to make mobile a BIG part of its future plans.

Yeesh, imagine if mobile takes off and NX bombs. What then?

Best case scenario is that NX becomes a viable platform alongside Nintendo's mobile output thanks in part to the buzz surrounding Zelda. The enthusiasm for it at E3 was unreal, and if the critics agree, I can see that game being one of those must-play, can't-miss experiences
especially if preceded by Zelda Go...

*if* mobile takes off?

I don't know where you've been, but mobile already has taken off. basically everyone has a cell phone now with yearly upgrades accepted as a matter of course. if nintendo can take advantage of that in any way, like with pokemon go, that will only add to their bottom line. it's not a case of "nintendo vs. mobile" it's more like "nintendo+mobile=more money for nintendo"

*if* mobile takes off?

I don't know where you've been, but mobile already has taken off. basically everyone has a cell phone now with yearly upgrades accepted as a matter of course. if nintendo can take advantage of that in any way, like with pokemon go, that will only add to their bottom line. it's not a case of "nintendo vs. mobile" it's more like "nintendo+mobile=more money for nintendo"

Geez, sometimes I feel like I have to write with more precision on gaf than at work lol. The "if" was with respect to both those two things happening: (1) mobile taking off (it has and will continue to soar) and (2) NX bombing (a real possibility).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's ok, Nintendo's stock will plummet back down when they screw up the Nintendo NX release.

Just give me a powerful box, and a normal controller! No gimmicks!

That would be a screw up. You really think something like that would work?

With all due respect, you're living in fantasy land. Nintendo has to play to their strengths, just like Sony did with the PS4. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But doing what the competition does, with no differential advantage and possibly a higher MSRP (because of no losses)? Won't work. No no..

So where is the money going? The Pokemon Company, which Nintendo has large stakes in, or Niantic, which both Nintendo and The Pokemon Company have large stakes in?

When it comes to the bookkeeping, that stuff matters significantly less. A company they have a stake in doing well is a blip in their financials

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
As soon as this Pokemon Go craze disappears which it will it's going to take a nose dive.

As someone who despises mobile games I disagree. I thought so at first too but I think this is not a fad and will generate revenue for Nintendo for some time to come.

Said it in another thread but Pokemon GO will have some staying power for awhile and I thought it would be a fad.

tumblr_mo7qkmK5Yy1qdje50o1_250.gif

guek

Banned
Shacknews did a really good story on how much money Nintendo could potentially make from the Pokemon Go craze. I would have created a thread, but after posting on here for a few months, I'm still a Jr. Member :(

It was written by its CEO, who is also a professional investor, so he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95801/how-much-money-is-nintendo-going-to-make-off-of-pokemon-go

Thanks for that breakdown, Nintendo is definitely making more than just licensing fees on Go.

Anteo

Shacknews did a really good story on how much money Nintendo could potentially make from the Pokemon Go craze. I would have created a thread, but after posting on here for a few months, I'm still a Jr. Member :(

It was written by its CEO, who is also a professional investor, so he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95801/how-much-money-is-nintendo-going-to-make-off-of-pokemon-go

That article also fails to take into account that nintendo (part?) Owns creatures inc

All these Ninty stock news just make me laugh, poor Wii U man. Let's see how the world reacts to Animal Crossing GO.
If it's a companion App to the next game that basically can stand on its own as well, then I'm all in. Maybe even allow people to import their towns across Handheld, mobile, console, and have one unified Cloud storage for it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's cool but they are gonna need to keep improving and supporting Pokemon Go. it needs a lot of updates if it is to keep people hooked.

DrWong

Guys I made a post explaining this breakdown last week already, no rocket science: Nintendo get the biggest share and 100% of pokego merch' (pokego accessory).

casiopao

Guys I made a post explaining this breakdown last week already, no rocket science: Nintendo get the biggest share and 100% of pokego merch' (pokego accessory).

May i ask for the post here sorry. It will be nice if i can show others on the breakdown here lol.

Man, can't understand if Nintendo is run by a bunch of fools with insane luck or outright wizards. They should be in dire straights, their console sucks, it's sales are abysmal and it's lineup is laughable, but they let someone else release a Pokemon game on phones and none of that matters. Their investors are some patient people. Kudos.

Even if the stock does come back down, the important thing is that a generation of kids (many of whom have never touched a Nintendo console) have been introduced to Pokemon.

That's the real value of getting the IP out on smartphones, beyond the immediate profits: actually establishing Nintendo's brand and IPs with children who were frankly growing up more interested in Minecraft and Pewdiepie than Mario and Pokemon.

MisterHero

Man, can't understand if Nintendo is run by a bunch of fools with insane luck or outright wizards. They should be in dire straights, their console sucks, it's sales are abysmal and it's lineup is laughable, but they let someone else release a Pokemon game on phones and none of that matters. Their investors are some patient people. Kudos.
They have time machine so they have access to 100% perfect business decisions. They only pretend to fuck up

True Fire

Nintendo's IPs are magic. It's just that the current people running the show don't know how to do any magic tricks

casiopao

Lol. No company can stand the test of time for more than 100 years lol if they are not talented on their job here. I mean, Wii and DS should have prove that to you there.

Nintendo's IPs are magic. It's just that the current people running the show don't know how to do any magic tricks

I disagree with you there. If Nintendo itself is unable to maintain their product quality till now, we won't even see Pokemon blowing up like this. Not to mention how their developers had always had the talent to think out of the box which give us Wii Sports, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii and DS which all is not part of their classic IP but become one of the biggest selling game in the world.

So no. It is Nintendo devs who had the magic here.^_^

Gameboy415

I really wish my girlfriend had listened to me when I told her to invest in Nintendo stock last month!

(*screaming internally*)

RagnarokX

It's kind of a unfounded fear, those games are worlds apart and serve different groups of people. Pokemon GO is perfect for people who like pokemon as a franchise but have no interest whatsoever in buying dedicated hardware or buying the games themselves. It's more like being able to live out the fantasy of being in that world and catching the pokemon yourselves.

Well, the thing is that if Pokemon Go is indeed serving a different group then believing it will increase sales of Sun and Moon and 3DSes is also unfounded.

There are several ways this could go. It's possible the popularity of Go could bolster traditional game sales. It's also possible that the Go could hurt traditional game sales (why spend $200 to play pokemon when you get your fix for free on your phone?) or (Why is this game $30 when Pokemon Go is free?). Nintendo is very scared of shooting themselves in the foot with mobile games. If they can figure out how to make them work to the advantage of traditional games that would be great, but it's risky.

Thats like saying star wars 7 is (one) of the biggest movie ever so star wars battfront gonna go sell like gta

Star Wars Battlefront sold over 14 million copies and at the time had the largest beta in history

All of that with a huge backlash due to limited content and low reviews.

Calm Mind

Just once I would like to enter a Nintendo related thread without debbie downers not already fully entrenched in it.

Nintendo is the greatest video game developer in history, and their IPs are worth their weight in gold. Their investors know how quickly their financials can change. They've just been hit or miss in the hardware department. It looks like they've been making some good business decisions lately, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Top Bottom