• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys don't get the point, or you do but are playing dumb. It's the other way around. So now I'm being forced to pay laptop prices for a desktop. THIS is the point here. And I'm not happy. I'm never planning on taking this thing outside and all I want is a home console to play my Nintendo games on. You guys are telling me to be ok with paying a premium for something I'll never be using. Not everyone is a handheld gamer, so try and put yourselves in others' shoes.

No... you really don't get the point and it's pretty obvious. You aren't buying a desktop at laptop prices, you're buying a laptop while knowing that you won't use it as one and complaining about the price. If you decide to only use the Switch as a home console, that doesn't automatically turn it into one in terms of value. If you want a console for that price, you have two options on the market right now. Just like if you only wanted a desktop, you could fucking buy one because it fits your needs better.

Do the math mate. £250 = ~AU$422. Retail will jack up the price to $450. That's just nuts.

Isn't the minimum wage in AU like $17? In the U.S., it's $7.25... You have every right to be annoyed that things are priced higher as a result, but don't pretend like you don't know why.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Two days later...
"$399 is the perfect price for a premium device."

I mean we got to the point where Switch is compared to laptops as a justification for the price. Forgetting the fact that it's so much more of a Chromebook than a Macbook.

Scrawnton

If they charge any more than 250 than It's not worth it at all. It's the at most price it can be.
Becaue the PS4 hit $250 on Black Friday? I think $300 is the absolute high limit and that $250 is the perfect price. $200 will never happen for what this tech is.

Lutherian

Metroid 5? There are 6 Prime titles, 3 being spinoffs. Overall obviously even more titles.

Metroid Fusion is named "Metroid 4" at the opening. Primes aren't canon. Other M is not numbered but is split between Metroid 3: Super Metroid and Metroid 4: Metroid Fusion. Fusion's ending is clearly open for a sequel, the true Metroid 5.

Prime series is set between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2.

SuperSah

Banned
This is completely different tech though. An iPad Air 2 still costs over $500 and that's no where close to as powerful as Switch will be let alone PS4. I understand people saying it's weaker than a PS4 so it should be much cheaper, but it's also very different. Heck, Vita was $250 for the longest time (with BS memory gouging too) and this blows that system lit of the water.

Apple products retain their value because they do hella lot more than Switch probably will. Apple knows how to sell older products near full price because they can and to be honest, an iPad Air 2 is still an excellent device. Bear in mind the iPad Air 2 still has features which beat out some modern tablets such as its exceptionally high screen resolution etc.

Personally, I think the Switch should be priced at £200-£230 in the UK. That'll put it closer to $300 for the American bunch.

If Switch ends up more expensive, I think it'll be a hard sale for me unless the games are there.

LordKano

We are not even arguing about the $250 price here anymore. Now we are discussing about $299/299 euro and how that would be a perfect price.

350€ for the console and a game is too much for me, I wouldn't buy one at that price. The currently rumored price is fine, even though I could deal with 50$ less but that's probably too much to ask from Nintendo.

Matbtz

You guys don't get the point, or you do but are playing dumb. It's the other way around. So now I'm being forced to pay laptop prices for a desktop. THIS is the point here. And I'm not happy. I'm never planning on taking this thing outside and all I want is a home console to play my Nintendo games on. You guys are telling me to be ok with paying a premium for something I'll never be using. Not everyone is a handheld gamer, so try and put yourselves in others' shoes.

This is nuts. It's normal to pay more for a portable device since it's more complex and all. It's not because you don't want to use a function of the device that the price should be lower. It's like "I don't plan to use the pricey thing that is the wii u gamepad so the price should be much lower". Doesn't make sense imo.

Nintendo don't want to compete directly with ps4/one, they propose something different. As for people that want to use just the switch on the dock, then you'll have to pay the price, or wait for an eventual home console variant...

You're forgetting about the convenience factor.

Are you telling me you won't take it around the house?Like taking a shitter or in your bed. Or if someone wants to use the TV you can take it off the dock and play. Heck if you have multiple TVs you seamlessly more around the house with it which you can't with the PS4 and Xbox.

Its value isn't just about being able to take it out outside but its convenience in mobility.

Bringing this up because I haven't seen people mention it in a bit, but Gameseek is still offering the Switch for £198.50 with a pre-order price guarantee. Has anyone dealt with them in the past? I think it'd be damn ballsy of them to offer a guarantee on a price that might be higher. I doubt they want to lose money like that.

Gameseek will charge you when you make the pre order, not when the item is actually released. It's a bit of a gamble. Seems like a good price, but we don't know anything about different hardware SKUs, bundles or what the price is actually supposed to be.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
350€ for the console and a game is too much for me, I wouldn't buy one at that price. The currently rumored price is fine, even though I could deal with 50$ less but that's probably too much to ask from Nintendo.

This is also my position. 250 euro for the basic Switch, 300 for the premium bundle is a good price. 200 euro would make it an instant success. 300 euro/350 euro for the bundle will make the sales take a huge tumble after April, tumble from which it may never recover, like Wii U.

TLZ

Banned
No... you really don't get the point and it's pretty obvious. You aren't buying a desktop at laptop prices, you're buying a laptop while knowing that you won't use it as one and complaining about the price. If you decide to only use the Switch as a home console, that doesn't automatically turn it into one in terms of value. If you want a console for that price, you have two options on the market right now. Just like if you only wanted a desktop, you could fucking buy one because it fits your needs better.

You're just happy because it's a handheld. You're biased towards that and I'm biased towards it being a home console, which they said it will be but it clearly isn't. I've been gaming on Nintendo home consoles since the Famicom and now I feel I'm being pushed out for the sake of handheld gamers. Either buy this portable that can also be used as a home console at a premium price or fuck off to Sony and MS. Seriously fuck this shit.

ar4757

Man what is with all the negativity here? $250 is not too expensive for this product. It is just the right price. Since when did people expect sub $200 brand new tech? Or are those people just trolling?

it's neogaf

I think it will be $250 for sure for the base model

Man what is with all the negativity here? $250 is not too expensive for this product. It is just the right price. Since when did people expect sub $200 brand new tech? Or are those people just trolling?

i think they think it being weaker than a ps4 means it should cost less than a ps4.

Gameseek will charge you when you make the pre order, not when the item is actually released. It's a bit of a gamble. Seems like a good price, but we don't know anything about different hardware SKUs, bundles or what the price is actually supposed to be.

I'm not suggesting that people jump on that price, just that it seems to suggest what the base model will be priced at. I don't think they'd offer a guarantee that they might lose money on.

You're just happy because it's a handheld. You're biased towards that and I'm biased towards it being a home console, which they said it will be but it clearly isn't. I've been gaming on Nintendo home consoles since the Famicom and now I feel I'm being pushed out for the sake of handheld gamers. Either buy this portable that can also be used as a home console at a premium price or fuck off to Sony and MS. Seriously fuck this shit.

I'm happy because I plan to use it in both configurations and I understand what I'm getting for the price. It's fine to only want one of those things, but don't expect them to price it for your uses at launch. If you're that angry about it you should have no problem waiting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is nuts. It's normal to pay more for a portable device since it's more complex and all.

No, it's not. You don't pay $1000 for a Chromebook. Being portable doesn't make it automatically expensive. You can get very cheap phones. What it does and what powers it makes the price as much as portability.

EDarkness

i think they think it being weaker than a ps4 means it should cost less than a ps4.

Funny stuff. That's not how this works.

In any case, why are people getting upset when Nintendo has not officially announced the price. Hell, you don't even know what kind of value you're getting or what games will look like on it. Save the hate for next week when you know everything (or almost everything).

Lexxism

I'm really going to be disappointed if I don't see a $250/C$330 price next week. I'm getting tense. Don't fuck this up Nintendo.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm not suggesting that people jump on that price, just that it seems to suggest what the base model will be priced at. I don't think they'd offer a guarantee that they might lose money on.

Seems a bit odd. I'd personally hold back - they might pull a move if it ends up being way more. No way they'd just shrug it off.

Scrawnton

it's neogaf

I think it will be $250 for sure for the base model

In a world where people still buy a $200 n3DS XL, Nintendo is not going to release its next gen system that is a console and a handheld that is insanely more powerful than a n3DS for the same dang price. Heck we are lucky if it is only $50 more at $250.

what-ok

I think the need for money for anything at all is stupid and very abstract, but to complain about the speculative price of an unreleased console is unnecessary. What sort of outcome will this expectation give you?

Scrawnton

No, it's not. You don't pay $1000 for a Chromebook. Being portable doesn't make it automatically expensive. You can get very cheap phones. What it does and what powers it makes the price as much as portability.
A $250 chrome book isn't running games even close to the level of a Wii U.

Seems a bit odd. I'd personally hold back - they might pull a move if it ends up being way more. No way they'd just shrug it off.

Even if they "try" to pull a move, they have it advertised right on the product page that they guarantee that price. I'm not from the UK, but don't they have pretty strict laws that protect the consumer over there? That doesn't seem like something they'd get away with. I know I would raise hell.

In a world where people still buy a $200 n3DS XL, Nintendo is not going to release its next gen system that is a console and a handheld that is insanely more powerful than a n3DS for the same dang price. Heck we are lucky if it is only $50 more at $250.

agreed, i hope it's $250, i expect worse.
i can totally see nintendo thinking "well we sold you a wiiu and a 3ds for like 600 bucks, this will be both at the very low price of $300, great savings"

Scrawnton

That's like pointing out that Switch won't even have a fraction of the usability of a $250 Chromebook.
All a $250 chrome book does is run web based apps in a browser. I'm not expecting you to do PowerPoint or a google Doc on a Switch but that doesn't mean a $250 chrome book will out perform a Switch. That's just a crazy insinuation.

agreed, i hope it's $250, i expect worse.
i can totally see nintendo thinking "well we sold you a wiiu and a 3ds for like 600 bucks, this will be both at the very low price of $300, great savings"

We've got some time between now and March, so I'm expecting they'll lower the XL prices to $150 on or around the time Switch launches. $100 difference between the two seems pretty reasonable.

Matbtz

I was saying at equal power it's normal to pay more for a portable device.

Phoenixus

What's stopping Nintendo from potentially cutting the price of the N3DS xl before the switch comes out and then putting it at that price point?

Lothars

I don't agree they are lucky if it is 250, Anything more and The Switch will be in big trouble. The 3DS already proved that especially when it launched at 250, It needed a price drop right away.

EDarkness

What's stopping Nintendo from potentially cutting the price of the N3DS xl before the switch comes out and then putting it at that price point?

Anything is possible. I wouldn't expect it, though. Don't even start thinking that, because you'll most likely end up disappointed.

El Topo

All a $250 chrome book does is run web based apps in a browser. I'm not expecting you to do PowerPoint or a google Doc on a Switch but that doesn't mean a $250 chrome book will out perform a Switch. That's just a crazy insinuation.

A $250 Chromebook has so much more usability it is not even funny. I think you are seriously underestimating how many apps alone are available for them. Switch is not a tablet and it is not a laptop.
That is fine. Switch will have its own strengths.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was saying at equal power it's normal to pay more for a portable device.

But here the devices compared are not at equal power. You might as well find a $800 desktop and a $700 laptop that have quite a similar difference in power.

I'm not saying thats what you're saying. What I am saying is there are $250 portable chrome book devices that do not even come close to packing the punch the Switch will.

I said nothing about a $250 portable device. I was addressing the logical fallacy that laptops costs more than desktops to justify the fact that Switch will cost more than a PS4.

Do you you take everything you read literally?

Scrawnton

I'd imagine manufacturing costs is what would prevent that from happening. I'm not sure what it is. If Nintendo could've afforded to drop the price of the n3DS XL for its final year I think they would have.

Phoenixus

Anything is possible. I wouldn't expect it, though. Don't even start thinking that, because you'll most likely end up disappointed.

Nah, I fully expect the Switch to launch just below WiiU prices, but just don't see their current hardware as a detriment to whatever price they want to put it at.

Scrawnton

But here the devices compared are not at equal power. You might as well find a $800 desktop and a $700 laptop that have quite a similar difference in power.

I said nothing about a $250 Chromebook. I was addressing the logical fallacy that laptops costs more than desktops to justify the fact that Switch will cost more than a PS4.

Do you you take everything you read literally?

I'm not attacking you so I'm not sure why you're getting defensive.

TLZ

Banned
I'm happy because I plan to use it in both configurations and I understand what I'm getting for the price. It's fine to only want one of those things, but don't expect them to price it for your uses at launch. If you're that angry about it you should have no problem waiting.

I do have a problem waiting because I wanted this at launch. But I can't justify paying this much for it. Now I'll have to wait until God knows when for their price drop.

And about that laptop/desktop pricing thing, can you imagine if one day desktop users were told "no more desktops now just laptops and you'll have to pay that premium"? You think after the 10s of years they'll just be "ok" with it paying more for less?

If I'm asked to pay AU$450 for this I'll be more than happy keeping my Wii U but the sad part is it will be pointless because no ports will go its way. The Wii U will be dead and I'm left waiting for a year plus for a Switch price drop. If this sells like hot cake that price drop may never happen knowing Nintendo.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
They should do a single $250 sku with a pack-in, like with the Wii. I really think it would be a mistake for them to reach a $300 price tag with this device.

SuperSah

Banned

And if it's over that, they'd be lucky to outsell Wii U! :p

A $250 Chromebook has so much more usability it is not even funny. I think you are seriously underestimating how many apps alone are available for them. Switch is not a tablet and it is not a laptop.
That is fine. Switch will have its own strengths.

But it won't be able to play flash games I bet.

Nintendoomed.

Scrawnton

Resorting to "you're getting defensive" doesn't solve anything. But I guess you just wanted to end the discussion, so fine.
There's nothing to solve. You were talking about laptops vs desktop and mentioned chrome books so I added an anecdote about chrome book pricing and power. But if you want to keep that tone then I guess this discussion IS done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom