• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DQX is way more unbelievable than DQ7 and DQ8, solely because of the nature of DQX. It's an MMO. They're already struggling a lot to sell a single-player DQ game in the west, what sales disaster it would be for a MMO ?

It won't happen. I'm sure of it.

I don't disagree but after FF7 remake, last guardian, Shenmue 3, Trump becoming president I have a hard time believing anything is impossible anymore. It is very possible that DQX was originally meant to be listed as DQXI and not removed like placeholders like I mention in the video.

I'm crossing my fingers though, would love to see it happen!

Oregano

I don't think that's what people are denying. For most they seem to be wondering if DQX does come then why now? Why not have released the game when the WiiU and PS4 launched. If it is true my guess is apart of a big push for the DQ brand in the west.

The PS4 version is still in development and rumours suggest Nintendo had exclusivity on consoles.

hatchx

Banned
Anyone else hoping that Nintendo will save Scalebound?

I don't think they'd be interested. The game looks like a disaster, and I think Nintendo got burned on the whole Devil's Third fiasco.

This isn't the same situation as Bayonetta or BG&E2. Development was troubled and going over-schedule.

Lgndryhr

I do believe those dates in the GameStop image are placeholders though. I don't believe all those titles will be launch titles.

I do believe those dates in the GameStop image are placeholders though. I don't believe all those titles will be launch titles.

Launch lineup (first few months) is what I suggested in my video but yes they are placeholders and should be treated as such but still thats a hell of a good first party launch lineup as well.

Plum

Only thing about the Gamespot image is that there aren't any other third parties except for Dragon Quest, Skyrim and NBA. Even Wii U had more third parties at launch than that.

LordKano

Only thing about the Gamespot image is that there aren't any other third parties except for Dragon Quest, Skyrim and NBA. Even Wii U had more third parties at launch than that.

There's supposedly 5 placeholders for unannounced launch titles.

The key thing here is that this isn't actually suppose to be up yet, the department for the Switch games should have gone up on Friday after everything was announced and added into the system but someone jumped the gun and updated it early before everything had been properly added which is also why there are still NX placeholders in there as well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That is a straight up lie. Golden Eye moved 8 million units. The rest sold at least a million if not more.

Sorry my post wasn't clear. I meant having all those games I listed didn't help the N64 not get trounced by PS1 in sales, or the GCN to sell poorly. Not that the games didn't sell well to their base.

My point was even having games that should have helped keep them relevant to core gamers, especially western core gamers, didn't keep them competitive with Sony (and later MS with the 360). They just lost their sway with a huge chunk of that market post SNES, and can probably never get it back as their brand, IPs etc. just isn't catered to the CoD/Halo/Uncharted/GTA/AssCreed/Madden/Fifa/Forza/GT mainstream gaming masses.

Thus the person I was quoting is foolish to think they should go back to that, instead of doing their own thing and trying to maximize sales to their large base (i.e. the 50-60 million who owned 3DS and/or Wii Us), lapsed fans and whatever minority of core gamers can be convinced they need a Switch to provide something different than what they get on their current platform(s).

Plum

There's supposedly 5 placeholders for unannounced launch titles.

The key thing here is that this isn't actually suppose to be up yet, the department for the Switch games should have gone up on Friday after everything was announced and added into the system but someone jumped the gun and updated it early before everything had been properly added which is also why there are still NX placeholders in there as well.

Ah, that could be the case. I was thinking that they were there from the NX days, hence them using NX instead of NSW, but I guess I'm wrong.

Can't wait to finally see Sadness revealed as a launch title.

Sadness never really existed anyway, the concept was nice but stories from ex-staff suggest an actual game never existed.

N-E: What work did you actually do in your time there - was there any progress with actual development, or was Sadness still in pre-production?

Antolski: When [I was] contacted, there was only a title - Sadness. In about three of four days I come up with some ideas, which evolved into a "script". We actually wanted to make a interactive movie, and there was couple of other ideas as well.
When I was leaving, there was only one 3D object - some minecart I believe, which says a lot for me, most of the time the Sadness project was science-fiction.

N-E: In the space of a year then, and despite that trailer for the title, the only phase of actual development completed was a 3D minecart?

Antolski: For the actual game - I can't really recall that we'd made something else - but we had worked hard on concept design, and script and stuff like that. Despite the fact we disagreed a lot, for example about Alexander, son of the main heroine. I was against including him into a game - I believed that most gamers wouldn't really be interested in such a mother-son dynamic, and I thought it wouldn't make the game any more challenging or deep, just more annoying. Especially as, in the early days, Alexander was a crybaby, and the gamer would be forced to taking care of his every single need, every time he was scared or frightened. It is an interesting idea when you listen to it, but not very playable - it slows action, story, and makes identification with the heroine more difficult.

NateDrake

Why is the GameStop list still being discussed so heavily? It's a list of random sku of known games. Some are clear guesses - like DQXI and Monster Hunter. GameStop system often has false listings in them, and some of these are just placeholders or guesses. Don't read into them as anything of value.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why is the GameStop list still being discussed so heavily? It's a list of random sku of known games. Some are clear guesses - like DQXI and Monster Hunter. GameStop system often has false listings in them, and some of these are just placeholders or guesses. Don't read into them as anything of value.

right now there is not much more to discuss, but people are hyped and want to get going. It'll cool down eventually

Lgndryhr

I think that Nintendo has been a lot better at controlling surprises and such this go around so it is fair to expect some surprises this week leading up to and including the presentation.

I don't think that's what people are denying. For most they seem to be wondering if DQX does come then why now? Why not have released the game when the WiiU and PS4 launched. If it is true my guess is apart of a big push for the DQ brand in the west.

Oh okay. I misunderstood what people meant then. Skimming thread this afternoon. Did it ever release for PS4 or 3DS? It did release for the WIi U in 2013, but looks like it never left Japan. Never played a DQ game, but heard good things. That announcement is from Aug 2016. I think they are just porting the game to different systems as well as different regions in hopes of more revenue and getting a bigger reach for the brand.

We're not denying DQX is coming to the Switch, we're saying it won't be released in the West. Why would it come now? It was originally a Wii game and has released on other platforms since.

I misunderstood. Hopes of more revenue or better brand reach?

Launch lineup (first few months) is what I suggested in my video but yes they are placeholders and should be treated as such but still thats a hell of a good first party launch lineup as well.

I too used to work for GameStop. I remember during Wii launch a bunch of games had launch window placeholders that changed quickly after a few days of clarification and overnight updates in the system. I agree that's an amazing launch window lineup if true. I only have interest in Zelda sadly. Will grab the Wii U ports when on a sale of some kind.

This list can change over the new few days. If this isn't in their system tomorrow or more games are then we perhaps it has some ground. Also, there are some placeholders there for NX that haven't been updated.
I personally don't look to a Nintendo system for third party. I look at first party content or exclusive content. I use a PS or Xbox console for third party stuff.

Oregano

Where else could it have been released ? Dying PS3 ? PSVita ?

I don't buy this rumor.

It was released on the Wii in 2012 and even saw a cloud-based release on 3DS. PS3 and Vita were completely viable options. Especially considering both of them got a DQ release just last year.

Because its likely a legit listing as I covered in the video I posted on the last page or two back and DQ10 coming to the west would be a hell of a shocker. Also the entire time I worked at Gamestop I don't remember a single 'false listing' and its unlikely any of these are guesses. Gamestop talks to publishers about this kind of thing long before they are ever announced to us (as I mentioned at the end of my video) so the listings are likely right on the money its likely that on Friday all Gamestops will have a more updated version of this list with more announced titles and proper titles for the games already listed on here someone just jumped the gun and added it into the store system before its all set and ready to go.

Lgndryhr

Where is that Gamestop image?

8jwngTz.jpg

Oregano

I mentioned this in the Scalebound thread but no one can criticise Nintendo's treatment of Wii U owners compared to how Sony treated Vita owners or Microsoft are treating XBO owners.

NateDrake

Because its likely a legit listing as I covered in the video I posted on the last page or two back and DQ10 coming to the west would be a hell of a shocker. Also the entire time I worked at Gamestop I don't remember a single 'false listing' and its unlikely any of these are guesses. Gamestop talks to publishers about this kind of thing long before they are ever announced to us (as I mentioned at the end of my video) so the listings are likely right on the money its likely that on Friday all Gamestops will have a more updated version of this list with more announced titles and proper titles for the games already listed on here someone just jumped the gun and added it into the store system before its all set and ready to go.

I worked as a GameStop manager during the Wii-era. We had listings for Shenmue appear for Wii in the system. False listings happen, or assumptions occur about potential releases. Considering the list only has one "unannounced" title - that being Monster Hunter for Switch, it appears to be nothing more than guesswork based on the known software for the system.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I mentioned this in the Scalebound thread but no one can criticise Nintendo's treatment of Wii U owners compared to how Sony treated Vita owners or Microsoft are treating XBO owners.

That's why fanboyism is so fucking stupid.

These are all giant corporations who's "concerns" for their customers are centered around how to keep them loyal and giving them as much money as possible.

They all suck and anyone with half a brain is only begrudgingly giving them money to play games, not being loyal to them, given them free advertising and defending them to others.

I worked as a GameStop manager during the Wii-era. We had listings for Shenmue appear for Wii in the system. False listings happen, or assumptions occur about potential releases. Considering the list only has one "unannounced" title - that being Monster Hunter for Switch, it appears to be nothing more than guesswork based on the known software for the system.

you shut yo mouth filthy leaker

Monster Hunter is on its way

BELIEVE!

Seriously though I desperately want to see what a Monster Hunter game in switch will look like

Vuze

It's 2017 and people still put faith in GameStop "leaks". Nothing hard to believe on there but still.

MHXX as launch title will earn you my preorder though, so think twice Nintendo 😌

Compsiox

Banned
Since we haven't heard any rumors about an improved online multiplayer service can we assume Nintendo failed us on that front?

I hope they are going to improve it and have online support for their games with multiplayer/coop modes.

I don't remember ever seeing Shenmue show up for the Wii was it around launch or after? Regardless to put it another way I have not seen any false listings happen in more resent years (I quit about a year and a half ago). The XB1/PS4 lists were all pretty much very similar to this before everything was announced. Mostly placeholders or PS4 NBA, PS4 Madden, ect. Much like this list and it was only after E3 announced everything that everything showed up properly in the system.

oti

Banned

Nintendo knows the trust it has from its fans is their most valuable asset next to their franchises. This trust is why Nintendo game prices remain high throughout years. In this volatile business trust is your best weapon against new trends and fundamental changes you can not foresee.

MS doesn't care. They killed off the OG Xbox like it was nothing for the 360 to succeed and they would do it again no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom