• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I've pre-ordered it at Media Markt (I have 300€ in gift cards ready for Switch) and will also pre-order from Amazon as a backup.

Servbot24

Banned
He also said that amount could be adjusted based on consumer reaction to Switch and pre-order volume. And we're well aware of how positively Switch was received thus far.

Cautious optimism? So little is known about Switch that it's hard for there to be much of a reception other than happiness it doesn't have Fisher Price design anymore.

If the Switch is 250, I'll get it Day one. provide I can since I don't feel like pre-ordering.

250 is super cheap, I make that in 2 work days.

8jwngTz.jpg
So 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart 9, and Splatoon 2 are all at launch?

What?

No. I believe anything but even i don't believe that lol.

...HYPE!

Bestbuy, GameStop and Target for preordering. Gotta have my options lol.

Just remember, Target and Best Buy will put a pre-authorized hold on the funds from your bank if you order online. I think lots of folks who go the multiple pre-orders route are in for a rude awakening if they're not careful.

Chase17

Only place I really ever order/preorder from is amazon

Didn't work out well for the classic though so hopefully this goes better lol

Lexxism

Just remember, Target and Best Buy will put a pre-authorized hold on the funds from your bank if you order online. I think lots of folks who go the multiple pre-orders route are in for a rude awakening if they're not careful.
They don't charge your card anyway. You can always cancel if you don't like unless US does it differently.

So 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart 9, and Splatoon 2 are all at launch?

What?

No. I believe anything but even i don't believe that lol.

...HYPE!

The date is just a placeholder at best its likely all of those are coming in the launch window (the first few months) but even then thats not an absolute.

They don't charge your card anyway. You can always cancel if you don't like unless US does it differently.

I'm not sure how it works regarding credit cards, but if the funds aren't in your account when they do the pre-authorization hold, your pre-order is cancelled. And Target checks your funds every week or so until the item ships. Best Buy only does it once (right after the initial pre-order is made), I believe.

And yes, you can always cancel anytime you'd like before the order is fulfilled.

Scoobie

Where is the best place to preorder in the UK? I can see Game taking orders but at place holder price of £999.

I am guessing i may be better off waiting until it becomes available on Amazon, is it likely they will they have bigger stocks???

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Where is the best place to preorder in the UK? I can see Game taking orders but at place holder price of £999.

I am guessing i may be better off waiting until it becomes available on Amazon, is it likely they will they have bigger stocks???

No way to know. They've often in recent years not even sold Nintendo hardware directly, and only through third party sellers.

SuperSah

Banned

Yeah, same question. I'm gonna hold off for Amazon. GAME is annoying since PayPal will try put on a £999 charge lol. I know it doesn't come out right away but eh it feels sketchy to me.

In other news, in celebration of BotW, I've cracked out my Hyrule Historia to indulge in Zelda history!

jmizzal

If you wanted to wouldn't you preorder from like 2-3 different stores to be safe? I'll probably do that to be safe.

I want to get mine from Bestbuy, but I might do gamestop since its right by my job, thing is will gamestop give me my money back if I get my a preorder from Bestbuy, i'm not gonna switch it over to a game since I rather get my games from bestbuy too for GCU discount.

Terrell

Cautious optimism? So little is known about Switch that it's hard for there to be much of a reception other than happiness it doesn't have Fisher Price design anymore.

Cautious optimism is more than Wii U got. Wii U sold 400K units in its first week in the US alone. THE WII U.

So, the question you need to ask is this: Is Switch a better value proposition than the Wii U?

If the answer is yes, then we have to consider that 2M worldwide units, while a passable amount, is less than what they might hope to achieve.

I think I can survive without getting it immediately if worse comes to worse, but I'll be F5ing Amazon and Best Buy in hopes of getting one. I have such a massive backlog I think I might actually survive a couple months without one without freaking out and buying one for twice the price on eBay.

LordKano

Cautious optimism is more than Wii U got. Wii U sold 400K units in its first week in the US alone. THE WII U.

So, the question you need to ask is this: Is Switch a better value proposition than the Wii U?

If the answer is yes, then we have to consider that 2M worldwide units, while a passable amount, is less than what they might hope to achieve.

Wii U released just before Black Friday tho. Switch is in March.

Scoobie

No way to know. They've often in recent years not even sold Nintendo hardware directly, and only through third party sellers.

Hmm interesting, I think I'll hold off and see if any other stores pop up with pre orders after Friday.

Edit: just saw post above about Amazon UK maybe selling it so I'll be joining the F5 gang.

J@hranimo

Banned

Oh yeah I gotcha, if I'm able to preorder at one I won't bother with the others. I'm starting with Gamestop first cause that's close. If that fails, Bestbuy and so on. Preciate the thought though!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Perhaps many will disagree with me, but square boxes are really unappealing and unnecessarily crop detail out of the art designed for them.

If you want small cases with the same dimensions as a standard box, you're better off making the boxes the length and width of a cassette tape case. And despite what people say about how "size matters" in this discussion, I really don't think it does and would provide a lot of benefits.

I mean, if you're not releasing games in a standard box size, might as well make it as small as you can get it for the savings that would net you.

The shrunk standard case design of Vita games was not attractive at all. I'm sure Nintendo looked at it and thought better of it. Square cases are okay. It's basically just half the height of a normal DVD case. In contrast Vita cases are tiny horizontally and it looks bizarre, more than any square case could.

Size doesn't matter an enormous margin as we saw when PS3, PS4, and XB1 went to Blu-ray sized cases from the old DVD ones. I like pretty box art so it was a shame to have smaller cases, but I think what mattered to the average consumer at the end of the day is that it was still a physical game with physical media inside. It's a means to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom