• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

What should we expect from these "review"? we already know everything about it from the previews and other videos, battery life, console feeling, screen quality etc...only thing left would e eshop and online account management, but they can't since day one patch isn't out yet, and official specs, but 100% no one opend it yet to check what's exactly is inside and real clock speeds

Yeah I'm wondering this too. I guess whether or not they recommend it?

PusherT

If the Nintendo Switch doesn't catch on in first 3 months forget about western 3rd party support. The switch needs to come out strong as to convince 2k/EA/UbiSoft to sipport it.

I think most of us know what to expect with all the coverage that has been going on. The day one patch is certainly going to bring more life to the console.

Can't believe it is nearly here! These reviews if anything are going to literally maximum hype me out. I'm fully expecting praise for the systems look but it will lose points on the lack of UI features I think. Regardless, it's a new Nintendo console and that's exciting in and of itself ngl. Perched for the Zelda reviews

02.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Review scores for hardware is such a strange concept to me.

Yea, never made much sense to me, I can maybe understand it with a phone or tablet, so many are released that you can build up a comparative scale. Giving a score to consoles that release every 3-4 years seems pointless. I mean nobody would give two shits if IGN scores the Switch 1 point lower/higher than the PS4.

Fireblend

Banned
Pretty sure they did and said they will address it with the day 1 patch? I think IGN received a response from Nintendo.

I think a Kotaku writer mentioned something in an article's comment about someone at Nintendo telling him they were aware of it. Nothing to do with a day 1 patch, and a pretty non-official comment.

RK128

What was the final word from Nintendo on the desynchronising issue?

I remember they made a Twitter post saying they are looking into the issue but not sure if they said anything outside of that.

I'm willing to bet that they have 'fixed' it by boosting the Switch's Bluetooth signal from the console so that way the Joy-Cons can read inputs better.

We will see how things play out I suppose.

deoee

How glossy is the display?

The biggest german outlet was describing it as super glossy, to that point, where you can't use it in the office next to a window.

https://youtu.be/iRJU9loS4qs
~9:20min

Can you load the device while playing in tablet mode via an USB-cable?

sikkinixx

Why are people holding out for the day one patch so much? It's only adding online (which there aren't many games to play against other people anyway) and a few other tweaks no?

Why are people holding out for the day one patch so much? It's only adding all online (which there aren't many games to play against other people anyway) and a few other tweaks no?

Friend System
MyNintendo integration
Update background downloading.
Using eshops from other regions.

There is core system stuff that definitely needs to be looked at.

McDougles

My fellow editor for App Trigger provided our site's review.

App Trigger said:
As it is now, the Nintendo Switch is a wonderful machine if you want to play Breath of the Wild. If you trust that the level of quality of what's available now will hold true going forward, braving the storm and picking one up now to bask in Link's adventure immediately may not be an awful decision. But if you're apprehensive about the future or were burnt by the Wii U, you're not missing out on anything by waiting. As fascinated as I am about what's here, the missing pieces of the Switch's puzzle haven't quite fallen into place for me yet, though I have hope Nintendo can put it all together by the end of 2017.

Hanmik

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/03/01/nintendo-switch-review/

The Nintendo Switch is a fantastic piece of hardware and one of the best consoles that the Nintendo has ever created. We’ll have to wait and see what comes of the device, whether it’s adopted by third parties and consumers, but in terms of what the console can do, how flexible it is and the power it offers as it straddles the divide between portable and home console gaming, it’s in a world of its own.

Hardware reviews seem pointless. The day 1 patch isn't even there and all that matters are games which will come down the road lol

Hanmik

But as it stands, as a piece of hardware, we must say we’re impressed with the Switch so far. That flimsy cartridge hatch aside, the system feels like a proper step forward from the Wii U - more solid, more versatile and, while we do miss Nintendo's quaint menu music, more sophisticated in terms of design.

Best of all, the Switch doesn’t feel like a compromise in any of its configurations. It feels natural and intuitive to use as a handheld or a home console, while the ability to use the Joy-Con as separate controllers for the screen, rested on a table via its kickstand, suggests all kinds of multiplayer possibilities in such games as Mario Kart and Splatoon. It's this latter touch that is quintessentially Nintendo - a quirky idea still lurking behind the trendy exterior. Based on the decidedly weird mini-games we've glimpsed in 1-2-Switch - milking cows and the like - we're looking forward to seeing how else the versatile Joy-Con can be used by imaginative developers.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/nintendo-switch/47599/nintendo-switch-review#ixzz4a5COmWKy

garion333

Neo Member
Review in progress at US Gamer: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-switch-review

I still don't know if the Nintendo Switch is a system for everyone. I don't know if this is Nintendo's next big thing, or if it'll sell like the Wii U and Vita did. Despite that, this is a well-engineered portable console with the ability to play on your television at home. If you told me that was going to be a thing a decade or more ago, I would've laughed at you. Well here it is.

The Nintendo Switch is a great console so far (see below). If everything above sounds great to you, it's worth taking a look at Nintendo's latest.

Why is this a review-in-progress? As of this writing, the Nintendo Switch is bereft of a significant amount of its online features. The Nintendo Switch can connect to WiFi that's either completely open or password protected, but it cannot connect to WiFi that requires sign-in because there's no web browser. A web applet to fix this is coming in a Day One update for the system, which is also scheduled to add the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo Account linking, Friends List, and more online features.

Without those features, I don't feel comfortable giving this a final review. The review will be updated once more testing with the online has been done, with a full look at the UI and online features.

Hanmik

Nintendo dares. No other hardware manufacturer takes the kind of risks Nintendo so often does. Whether or not it ultimately pays off is no reason to ridicule a philosophy that may not have served the company well in recent history, but which did make them a household name. The audacious idea that came to be Nintendo Switch has paid off. It's Nintendo's most impressively well-designed home console ever; a tight, light package brimming with ideas and built to support all manners of play.

The mark of a console is how well it supports a wide variety of games, and Switch does that through its hardware and, it seems, through the efforts Nintendo has made to make it easier than ever for third parties to develop software for a Nintendo console. Nintendo Switch is primed to eclipse the disappointing sales of Wii U, and though we don't know yet if this will be the case, it certainly deserves to.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-s...ndos-innovative-home-handheld-console-1609006

Hanmik

Digital Foundry..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-switch-review

However, as a launch product, the £280/$300 price-point is a big ask compared to the competition, especially bearing in mind a launch title line-up based primarily on Wii U ports. There are also many extra costs too - a larger SD card is essential, the Pro controller is recommended for home use, and an external powerbank is worthwhile on the go. For now, what we have is a strong foundation to build on; it's pricy and not without fault, but we can't wait to see where Nintendo take the concept.

IGN Review in Progress. - 6.7 (not final)

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere. As a console, it’s underpowered, unreliable, and lacking basic features and conveniences that all of its competitors offer. It’s nicely built and cleverly designed to be used in a variety of ways, but the bottom line is that the Switch doesn’t do any one of the many things it can do without some sort of significant compromise. Our testing will continue for the next few days as we try out the online features and other functions enabled by the day-one patch, but if I had to score it now I’d give it a 6.7.

Top Bottom