• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Forkball

Not sure what people are expecting. You know what it does, you know its strengths and limitations. You know if you want to get one for Zelda right now or just to wait.

epicnemesis

Never understood the existence of console reviews at launch other than clicks for the website. It always boils down to "hardware is interesting when software comes out, not much to play yet, I would wait if I were you"

This one is a little different because huge keys of the console are still waiting to be patched in so it's even more useless.

My review-in-progress is up at USgamer.

At its basic level, stripped of all marketing talk, the Switch is a portable system with a television play solution. It's not the first portable console to offer TV-play, but it is the first to have an elegant solution, one that's offered with every system Nintendo sells. As a portable, the Switch excels.

I still don't know if the Nintendo Switch is a system for everyone. I don't know if this is Nintendo's next big thing, or if it'll sell like the Wii U and Vita did. Despite that, this is a well-engineered portable console with the ability to play on your television at home.

Disclaimer from the bottom of my review-in-progress:

Why is this a review-in-progress? As of this writing, the Nintendo Switch is bereft of a significant amount of its online features. The Nintendo Switch can connect to WiFi that's either completely open or password protected, but it cannot connect to WiFi that requires sign-in because there's no web browser. A web applet to fix this is coming in a Day One update for the system, which is also scheduled to add the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo Account linking, Friends List, and more online features.

Without those features, I don't feel comfortable giving this a final review. The review will be updated once more testing with the online has been done, with a full look at the UI and online features.

KevinG

IGN's review is kinda weird.

I've kept up with their coverage, but that review and score doesn't reflect how they've been communicating their impressions so far.

sikkinixx

IGN Review in Progress. - 6.7 (not final)

What I expect many of the reviews be like. It's an odd and expensive system to jump into that necessarily makes a lot of compromises. Add to that the lack of really compelling stuff (besides what will likely be GOTY contender Zelda) and you can't expect "omg!"

Zafir

I've kept up with their coverage, but that review and score doesn't reflect how they've been communicating their impressions so far.

Well, I imagine that's the opinion of just the one reviewer though?

I mean I understand where they're coming from honestly.

Skyzard

Banned

Do you need to press the release button for the joycons to come off the switch? I saw you mention:

There's no give in the Joy-Con/Switch connection; for all intents and purposes, it feels like one device.

Which is good at least. Are you not worried about it giving more over time?

Scrawnton

It's because Vince reviewed it and most of the positive buzz has been from the Nintendo crew playing Zelda.

deoee

Could you maybe elaborate on the question I asked here?

It's the only outlet so far that describes this "problem" and I'm curious if they maybe just got a different display manufacturer or if they didn't configure the brightness right...

God is a Geek - http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/nintendo-switch-review/

Let me be clear about what I mean there: as I write this, the hardware will be available to buy in just a few short days, and yet I am sat here with a Switch that has no access to the eShop, or any online features at all. Right now, I’m still waiting on the “day one” update, which make evaluating what it can actually do, pretty tricky. What this means is that I can’t, in good conscience, score this new console as I’d like to, and will have to revisit this review to finalise it when that update hits. Bizarre, but right now, this is a console that plays games, and that’s about it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My main want was for the handheld piece of the Switch, as I loved the 3DS (never owned a Wii or Wii U), so I am glad to hear that is the console's strength.

Could you maybe elaborate on the question I asked here?

It's the only outlet so far that describes this "problem" and I'm curious if they maybe just got a different display manufacturer or if they didn't configure the brightness right...

It doesn't feel any glossier than the screen on my iPad mini. In addition, I put the screen protector on.

when do we see the game reviews

I know zelda is tomorrow, but the rest?

Embargo is today, but I got Bomberman yesterday and Just Dance the day before that, so nothing from me.

gogojira

"but if I had to score it now I'd give it a 6.7."

Lol, WTF kind of review is that.

"I mean I guess I gotta toss a number out there so 6.74521 and a half I guess maybe for now"

Edit: For clarity, no issue with someone not gushing over the system. It seems undercooked. I just find the actual quote stupid.

I simply don't understand why Nintendo is raising the embargo on hardware reviews while not having the day-one patch ready. Surely they want the console to be seen in the best possible light?

I simply don't understand why Nintendo is raising the embargo on hardware reviews while not having the day-one patch ready. Surely they want the hardware to be seen in the best possible light?

If I had to guess, I'd say they planned for the patch to be out by now, but wanted to integrate a fix for the connectivity issues with the Joycons. It all probably got delayed a little by that.

Rodin

Ign is hilarious as always, they were jerking off on the console until the last voice chat lol

That .7 tho

deoee

It doesn't feel any glossier than the screen on my iPad mini. In addition, I put the screen protector on.

Embargo is today, but I got Bomberman yesterday and Just Dance the day before that, so nothing from me.

Thank you!

I'm interested in what others say. My friend will surely tell me tomorrow ;)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I simply don't understand why Nintendo is raising the embargo on hardware reviews while not having the day-one patch ready. Surely they want the console to be seen in the best possible light?

I guess they didn't care enough. Didn't Xbone go through the same as far as there being a day 1 patch that wasn't factored into reviews?

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere.

I know some will not care this and act like it's fine but I can see that being an issue for many. I sort of get it, but at the same time if I am packing things it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Isn't exactly mobile bus/daily travel friendly perhaps but not a huge deal on the planned travel I'd imagine (anywhere you already take your laptop anyways)

I will have to hold it myself to really see how it is but obviously isn't going to be the same as the old handhelds...

Ouch that IGN review. That is going to result in some preorder cancellations possibly?
You can't be serious? Most hardware reviews say "don't buy hardware" I feel like. Didn't Kotaku say "no" to PS4 or X1? Seriously, this is pointless. I already know I'm getting a system and games are selling the systems.

Still baffled why they would allow reviews to hit, when half the system features are missing? Why not allow reviewers to experience the eshop or online multiplayer? Makes no sense.

If I had to guess, I'd say they planned for the patch to be out by now, but wanted to integrate a fix for the connectivity issues with the Joycons. It all probably got delayed a little by that.

I don't think so. And if that's the case, it doesn't bode well for their OS if they need to minimise the number of updates for whatever reason.

Top Bottom