• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 bundle coming to US, Walmart exclusive

Lkr

From retailer exclusive dlc to retailer exclusive hardware. They really are in the same boat with the likes of Ubisoft and WB when it comes to shady practices.
Well I'm gonna take the bait. This isn't the first time Nintendo has had retail exclusive hardware and I'm sure Sony or Microsoft have done it before too

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If anyone really wants the Splatoon joy-cons, just order them from Amazon.de (they're in stock unlike JP or Play-Asia). The cost is only a little more than what you'd pay in NA.

Mine came in less than a week. I love them; just looking at them makes me happy.

LordKano

Well I'm gonna take the bait. This isn't the first time Nintendo has had retail exclusive hardware and I'm sure Sony or Microsoft have done it before too

Yep.
32519043476_da12ac7304_z.jpg

Gears-of-War-4-SE-Bundle.png

prateeko

From retailer exclusive dlc to retailer exclusive hardware. They really are in the same boat with the likes of Ubisoft and WB when it comes to shady practices.
God dammit Nintendo why not just release the joy cons separately like every other territory??

Ridley327

I always had a feeling that Walmart would end up with this after getting the Wii U Super Mario Maker bundle to themselves, but I'm still a bit surprised that this didn't come out with the game originally. I wish I could be more surprised by the lack of savings here, but thems the breaks with Nintendo's hardware bundles these days.

Koppai

It sucks that it just includes a digital copy.
What is it with them and not putting physical copies in the box? How cheap can they get.

I already have 2 Switch one Neon set and one Gray set, extra set of Blue Red Joycon, Pro Controller, and Splatoon Pro Controller. I think I am done buying controllers already.

Damn, I wish I could get the joy-cons individually. I'm thinking about importing them but don't feel like spending a little extra. Then again, I honestly don't need them, I just want them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
At least this means the joy cons will likely be here sometime soon. I've been patiently waiting to use a gift card on the Splatoon joy cons when they're available standalone in NA.

Microsoft and Sony have done retail exclusive console bundles before. This isn't new.

If anyone really wants the Splatoon joy-cons, just order them from Amazon.de (they're in stock unlike JP or Play-Asia). The cost is only a little more than what you'd pay in NA.

Mine came in less than a week. I love them; just looking at them makes me happy.

Thanks for that! They even have the green/pink pro controller in stock. Really hope they are still up the next day or two because I need to really think about whether I want to spend more on joy-cons/controllers. =P

Also, may be a dumb question, but would NoA honor the warranty for something I bought overseas/imported? I'd be pretty unsure about buying the joycons if I couldn't send them in for repair if they aren't working right..

Oh, well I guess for NA we don't have one yet. Kinda sucks, but maybe order them from Amazon.de like that one gaffer said earlier?

Yeah was trying to avoid inflating the costs with international shipping fees and duties. No rush, I can wait till I can readily find them over this side at NA MSRP.

...dont buy it then ? And you are saving money compared to whatever shitty Gamestop bundle or ebay offer would be the alternative.

Edit:
Damn Lkr...lol

Wow thats a crappy attitude for a comment that made sense.

And this is not a month ago, Switch's aren't that hard to find. Why not leave the carrying case out instead of making you pay for it and take $10 off since it's a download? $350.

PMS341

Yeah but their stance on wanting physical copies of games in bundles is one of the few examples of GameStop being pro consumer... so your post is a bit redundant in this thread.

No, it isn't a pro-consumer approach. A physical game in the box means that customer will be more likely to trade in the game and support Gamestop's pre-owned game profits as opposed to someone buying digitally from them.

Ridley327

NPD will receive the data but they won't show in the report because they can't reveal specific sales of a retailer.

That, and generally speaking, they don't apply hard-bundled copies of games to the overall tally as they're not scanned separately. If they ever gave out specific bundle quantities in NPD, that would be sufficient to add to a tally, but as you mentioned, retailer exclusives do not get reported on.

No, it isn't a pro-consumer approach. A physical game in the box means that customer will be more likely to trade in the game and support Gamestop's pre-owned game profits as opposed to someone buying digitally from them.
Which also provides cash or credit to the customer to spend on other stuff. Seems like a win for everyone except Nintendo.

Top Bottom