• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch uses Cartridges

cheesekao

Assuming that the bare minimum size is 32 GB, does anyone have an idea of how much more expensive/cheaper it would be compared to a Blu-ray?

I basically look at it as small flash memory with its own ram inside? Or is it really closer to SD cards nowadays.

Like someone said, Skyrim on a game card is a exciting concept.

Tech has come so far. I love Nintendos strategy.

Atomski

When I see the pictures, I'm just chuckling at the thought of people at conventions setting up tables with Mario Kart, everyone trying to sync the controllers to the correct Switch.
Wouldn't they just be synced to the console u pulled them out of?

Game cards in a mobile console! What a time to be alive!

But seriously, what the heck did people expect?!
The return of the king.
200px-UMD.jpg

NeOak

Exactly. Cards are digital memory based. Cartridges, iirc, are analog board based.

Analog board based?

What, you think there is a vacuum tube inside NES cartridges?

Everything has always been digital. They were ROM chips that were written to once. Same shit.

cyress8

Banned
Man, I have not had a portable in 15 something years. I know I will lose these fucking things because I will get lazy and just put them in my pocket. Bunch of money down the drain when I accidently wash a couple.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Man, I have not had a portable in 15 something years. I know I will lose these fucking things because I will get lazy and just put them in my pocket. Bunch of money down the drain when I accidently wash a couple.

They'll probably work just fine after you wash them. My SD cards always have. But I did have this problem with Vita, which is why I very quickly switched to digital only. I honestly don't even know where my Vita cards are right now.

AgeEighty

how much space could those possibly hold?

More than discs, potentially. SD cards for example currently top out at 256GB, which is far larger than a Blu-ray disc.

The old space limitations of carts are no longer a factor. The bigger question is production expense, which always did and probably still does favor optical media. And licensing fees.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Skyrim on a cart, surreal

Skyrim on Xbox 360 was only 3.9gb, which is basically nothing compared to most modern games these days. While we don't know how much the remaster will be I can't imagine a portable version is going to need a massive amount more than that.

how much space could those possibly hold?

I've got a flash drive about the same size, well, probably a tiny bit smaller, that is 128gb. Nintendo will likely have cartridges with multiple sizes for developers to use like they have done in the past, so developers only use use up to what they need.

Ionic

So, can I expect game patches to be saved to the cart? It would be nice not having to worry about the console memory filling up over time as content is added to games.

Morts

Hopefully there's a decent amount of onboard storage or SD Card support as I'd like to go 100% digital this time around.

Itd be great if there were multiple storage SKUs to give people like me the option to spend more to get 256 GB or more.

tkscz

I wonder if this will affect the price of carts at all, something like Skyrim will be pushing 4GB, wonder how cheap Nintendo can get media for carts.

4GB? That's the 3DS. Cards/Carts can easily hit 128GB and remain at an affordable price for developers/publishers. I'd say the average Cart for the Switch is going to be 64GB

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Good solution to save physical space on the mobile component, so long as the data transfer rate is up to par (I'm not familiar with how flash storage compares in this regard).

mantidor

After Emily Rogers leaked quite literally everything about the Switch?

because Nintendo + Region Free = Does not compute :p

I guess maybe it did for Nintendo portables once upon a time, and they made sure to show someone travelling in a plane so the hopeful in me wants that flight to be international.

We'll see, but Rogers could be off, being region free is ultimately a business decision and not a hardware decision, you could know every single detail about the controller and even have a dev kit and still don't know if the console is region free.

LordRaptor

If the cartridges are physically a similar size to DS / 3DS carts, I wonder if backwards compatibility might be on the table.
Depending how the carts are manufactured, making it a multi-format reader might be feasible, and its pretty likely the actual unit has more than enough power to software emulate the actual code, even if it doesn't have actual DS / 3DS hardware included.

-shadow-

Considering how large cartridges can get these days it seems more than logical. Especially considering the handheld aspect of the system. If the load times are about the same as the 3DS I'd be totally fine with it!

Top Bottom