• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch uses Cartridges

To save space and tie patches directly to the games themselves.

But why? The pros of using external storage far outweigh the negatives:

Pros:
1. Probably much cheaper/GB to use standard SD card or HDD
2. No need to pre-allocate space on the card, that might never be used or might be too little
3. The user can easily expand it if they want to

Cons:
1. You need the storage device the patch was saved on if sharing the game card with someone else

mieumieu

Pros:
1. Probably much cheaper/GB to use standard SD card or HDD
2. No need to pre-allocate space on the card, that might never be used or might be too little
3. The user can easily expand it if they want to

Cons:
1. You need the storage device the patch was saved on if sharing the game card with someone else

Also ther problem of save data ownership if Nintendo care about that.
Sony doesn't allow save data sharing between accounts.

Dr. Buni

I think this will be the pricing scheme

I'm betting price will be

249-299- Screen and attachments for controls

349-399- Full bundle including docking station

Pro Controllers and additional controllers sold separately between 39.99 and 59.99

Games 59.99 ? Cartridge though so maybe 49.99 IDK

Let's see how this plays out
Ah, now I understand why Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a console first, handheld second. Because they want to ask $60 for new games instead of the usual $40 for handheld games.

Also ther problem of save data ownership if Nintendo care about that.
Sony doesn't allow save data sharing between accounts.

That too, but it shouldn't be an issue as we already got confirmation Nintendo is using cloud saves. Any extra storage space a card is solely going to be for local save data. It makes things much simpler that way

You make some good points. I would want to stay away from HDDs for sake of portability. Also, I'm not sure that Nintendo can't get a better deal per GB than we can. The portability and convenience of having patches tied directly to carts might be more appealing to me than you. I'm just not a fan of redownloading the same data over and over. And if I lend a game to my friend, it's much more convenient not to have them download it. It could be a big pro for carts above discs for me. I should also add that I have fairly poor internet service.

I hate that the average layman stumbled upon the term disc rot, because they bring it up excessively when it's a minuscule problem. Especially for professionally mastered CDs. Disc Rot is primarily a problem for burned discs.

Especially since every storage medium is subject to data rot, especially NAND memory.

My main point regarding that, is not that it will happen definitely, but if or when (depending on how and when the disc was made, professionally or not) it DOES happen, there's nothing you can do about it. How would you repair a PS1 disc that has suffered structural damage, using conventional tools? You wouldn't. Carts? Oxidation can be removed, caps can be replaced, EPROMs can in many cases be reprogrammed. Even something like a cracked or corroded PCB could potentially be salvaged with some solder, wire and a reasonably fine iron. Granted, more modern technology is a different story in more than a few cases. But generally, anything made from electronics is significantly easier to work with than foil and glue.

Also, mask ROM (as used in Nintendo cartridges) is AFAIK not subject to "rot" within reasonable limits of argument.

Neiteio

A dock will come with every Switch, straight up. The dock is central to one half of the system's concept, which is that you can play it on your TV right out of the box, and you can also play it on the go.

My Smash Wii U has constant disk read errors and some word looking warping or hairline cracks. All my PS2 games still work fine. So it's still an issue.

Hairline cracks either shouldn't exist or shouldn't cause issues on blurays. Maybe it's a manufacturing error? Or maybe Wii U discs aren't as damage resistant as standard blurays, idk.

A dock will come with every Switch, straight up. The dock is central to one half of the system's concept, which is that you can play it on your TV right out of the box, and you can also play it on the go.

Exactly.

The Switch minus the dock is not a Switch.

I'd argue the same with the Grip, so I'm extremely hopeful it'll be included in every box.

HotHamBoy

You mean Carts. Cards are totally different too.

Cart is short for cartridge. He means cards, because that's what they are.

This is not that different from what the 3DS uses.

All I know is that the average AAA game these days is between 25-50gb. If the cards max out at 32GB that could hamper assets. It makes going digital difficult. So it has an SD card slot. 64gb SD cards run about $25. I'm supposed to buy a new one every 2-4 games I buy digitally? What's the point?

Then there's patches, DLC, etc.

As someone who has gone all-digital with PS4, Vita and 3DS, this seems like a step backwards.

All I know is that the average AAA game these days is between 25-50gb. If the cards max out at 32GB that could hamper assets. It makes going digital difficult. So it has an SD card slot. 64gb SD cards run about $25. I'm supposed to buy a new one every 2-4 games I buy digitally? What's the point?

As someone who has gone all-digital with PS4, Vita and 3DS, this seems like a step backwards.

youre kidding yourself if you think they are going to cater to the small number of All digital buyers over the physical buyers

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It will likely have to max at 32 GB for now. The larger game cards will already be a noticeable ratio more expensive than discs, but it is truely fantastic that cartridges/game cards are viable again. I love game cards.

Going back to 64 GB cards, well, I doubt too many devs who are planning 50 GB beasts will downport to Switch anyways.

TLZ

Banned
I'd love for people to articulate what about discs "sucks."

People will give you many reasons, but the most important ones are:

1- Slow
2- Generate more heat
3- Moving parts
4- Limited size

Carts eliminate all that. Stick the cart in, and play your game. No waiting time. No need to install because it's fast enough. For a gamer, that's all we should care about. Plug and play. Back to the basics :)

TLZ

Banned

Then stick to physical this time. Unless they're smaller games of course.

Rodin

1- Slow
2- Generate more heat
3- Moving parts
4- Limited size

Carts eliminate all that. Stick the cart in, and play your game. No waiting time. No need to install because it's fast enough. For a gamer, that's all we should care about. Plug and play. Back to the basics :)
You can add to that

- mandatory install for every single game
- big HDD needed, which raises cost, heat and size
- disc drive is also bigger, generates more heat and is more expensive compared to a card reader

There's literally no reason to prefer discs to cards these days except for the cost per unit being a bit higher, but you also save a lot of money on cooling, internal memory, media reader, packaging, shipment and plastic by going with cards.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder if we're going to go back to the 16-bit era where games that required higher memory carts will cost more money?

1- Slow
2- Generate more heat
3- Moving parts
4- Limited size

It's been explained multiple times in this thread why these speed comments are overblown, but whatever. I give up.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder if we're going to go back to the 16-bit era where games that required higher memory carts will cost more money?

They won't cost more money, cardridges were never stopped being used on handhelds that didn't happen there. Either Nintendo or the developer will eat the cost.

It's been explained multiple times in this thread why these speed comments are overblown, but whatever. I give up.

The speed comments are legit as that's why your forced to install these games and are not playing them from the disk like in the past.It's just simply your comparing carts to whatever hard disk that's in your console.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Actually... if you consider that Switch titles will likely take over what were once separate $40 USD (3DS), $50 USD (some niche third party 3DS games, some cheaper Wii U titles) and $60 USD (most Wii U titles). In effect, larger cart sizes for more complex games could trend towards $60 while less complex games will have to cost less than that as they wouldn't sell at full price.

Top Bottom