• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How difficult is to have 1 single friends list associated with Nintendo Account. Not 1 list in each mobile game, another list for NNID and yet another list now on Switch?

Come on. 1 list manageable from anywhere you use Nintendo Account or My Nintendo is not damn rocket science. With decent features, like send requests by account name with search people and basic things like this.

Otherwise why does Nintendo Account exist? NNID was more useful by comparison.

notaskwid

rPqN2qu.jpg

Jubenhimer

I'm shocked they're actually returning to this system. However, It does look like it's less restrictive than it was before, considering the presence of what looks to be a friend invite function. I dunno, it just feels backwards that Nintendo would return to something that they long since abandoned with the Wii U.

Mawile

Banned
People are laughing at this decision and I understand why, but for me? I'm honestly sad at this outcome. I really thought after Wii U they were starting to (slowly) get with the times. It's so unfortunate...

LowSignal

Where's the Angry Joe gif? I hope they update to get rid of friend codes, im not paying monthly to use friend codes and pre aol era garbage.

People are laughing at this decision and I understand why, but for me? I'm honestly sad at this outcome. I really thought after Wii U they were starting to (slowly) get with the times. It's so unfortunate...
Looking at mobile gaming, this is disconcertingly with the times. Perhaps to be expected with DeNA working on the account system. But at least that means it's a modern code system and doesn't require swapping unlike past Nintendo consoles.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Still needing friend codes in 2017. At least they give other methods of adding friends in the future.

How difficult is to have 1 single friends list associated with Nintendo Account. Not 1 list in each mobile game, another list for NNID and yet another list now on Switch?

Come on. 1 list manageable from anywhere you use Nintendo Account or My Nintendo is not damn rocket science. With decent features, like send requests by account name with search people and basic things like this.

Otherwise why does Nintendo Account exist? NNID was more useful by comparison.

Yeah... I have no idea. That's exactly how I thought things would work once I signed up for a Nintendo Account! Nope! Nintendo gotta Nintendo on this one.

It's nice the Switch can "suggest" friends from Miitomo/Mario Run now, but that's definitely a solution to a problem they made for themselves. As it stands I don't see them reversing course on this one. At best that mobile app will probably let people add friends through the same method, albeit a bit easier because you generally have your phone with you wherever you go.

*Mickey Mouse voice* - "Oh boy!"

Some lip service does not put them above criticism. You'll have to excuse people if Nintendo doesn't exactly have the benefit of the doubt on this particular subject. Until the functionality is out there and people can see it and use it and test it I see nothing wrong with being skeptical. It's not our job as consumers and enthusiasts to play PR for Nintendo and try and quell any potentially negative leaning discussion.

Because Nintendo.

Honestly no idea. I gave up trying to figure things out with that company.

Seriously. Everything about the Switch makes me wonder what the hell Nintendo has been doing the last 3 years. They've released next to no games, have had plenty of time to work on this thing and supposedly have been for a while, and yet, we have a bare bones launch with plenty of issues and a complete lack of even the most basic online features.

All this is doing is telling people that they shouldn't get a Switch at launch, but without initial buzz, people aren't going to buy one PERIOD.

Terrell

Some lip service does not put them above criticism. You'll have to excuse people if Nintendo doesn't exactly have the benefit of the doubt on this particular subject. Until the functionality is out there and people can see it and use it and test it I see nothing wrong with being skeptical. It's not our job as consumers and enthusiasts to play PR for Nintendo and try and quell any potentially negative leaning discussion.

So you're saying Nintendo is lying then, is that it? Cuz that seems.... wholly unnecessary.

So you're saying Nintendo is lying then, is that it? Cuz that seems.... wholly unnecessary.

What I'm saying is pretty clear in my post. If what you got from that is that I think "Nintendo is lying" I don't know what to tell you. For the record, no I don't think Nintendo are lying.

SpecX

Good, but come on already. Nintendo is their own enemy when it comes to getting the word/proper messaging out. They want people to discover the system for themselves, but these basic questions should be crystal clear by now come up hours before the launch. Nintendo needs to go all out on messaging, or else shit like this will spread to the casual fan base and hurt them in the long run.

Why would they develop the means to add friends via your Miitomo and Mario Run friends list before just using your new Nintendo Account name?

Why would they develop the means to add friends via your Miitomo and Mario Run friends list before just using your new Nintendo Account name?
Because the account name is a secret login name. They tell you not to share it with anyone when you create it, but I guess nobody really thought about what that meant at the time.

Gauntlet

Banned
As silly and antiquated the idea of using friend codes is...

Some people in this thread really need to chill out.

Neogaf is a bastion of overreaction. You'd think friend codes were a fundamental human rights violation or something.

Also, the notion that if you're not outraged you must be a member of the Defense Force is childish and all too common.

Waji

I keep reading people saying :
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
And it feels like they're talking about themselves.

330€ everybody. But you can hear those ice cubes!!
What is 330€ exactly ?
And what's the relation with the friends code being a possible way to get friends on the system ?

Are people winning something for posting the "fastest wtf-basic comment" on topics ?

Needlecrash

They said it's coming. It's not this huge explosions and overreactions some of you keep making it to be.

As excited I am for the Switch, getting information like this last minute clearly reeks of poor planning and rushing; with no communication regarding this. Shit like this needs to be planned and ironed out prior to launch. We still don't know about the virtual console shit, if and when Nintendo will address the joy con lag and some others. So yes, if I'm going to to drop a few hundred dollars into a system, I want everything ironed out as much as possible and have every right to feel like this; which isn't an overreaction considering many others feel the same way.

Sizzel

Oh hey look ...new news about the Switch! annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it is bad news...

but wait... there is an update after 7 meltdown pages!!! Bad thing will be fixed!!!......later.....probably...

I swear to god- I literally am contemplating canceling my order and just buying Zelda WiiU version until the shitstorm sorts itself out.

-Hardware Issues
-No Third Party
-No VC
-Cell Phone Party Chat
-Friend Codes
-Street Fighter 2 40 dollar release..p-lease clap.
-No Apps
- 2.5 hour battery life
- Are we making a new 3ds..I thought the Switch was taking over? That is the plan right?? You are not going to make a new handheld??
-Rumored price drop inside of a year
= Videos of atrocious frame rates and stuttering on Zelda
-Crowd polarization between blind love and blind hate
-online - later!!!

It could be the wicked flu talking but cheese and rice.. get it together Nintendo.

Twiforce

The most eye-rolling thread about this thread isn't the people freaking out about friend codes, it's the Nintendo fanboys rushing in to dismiss and belittle any negative sentiment towards Nintendo.

koss424

The most eye-rolling thread about this thread isn't the people freaking out about friend codes, it's the Nintendo fanboys rushing in to dismiss and belittle any negative sentiment towards Nintendo.

Hold, if it was only friend code you would have a point, but hasn't it been established that it's just one option to add friends along with social media accounts, friends you've played with and NNID. And you don't have to use it if you don't want to? Or did I miss something?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I believe the Joy Con issue (allegedly fixed), the framerate issue of BotW and the Friend
Code issue are all dealt with now, but now one cares.

The friend codes issue is not dealt with. It will be dealt with sometimes in the unforeseen future maybe for free.

The Joycon issue is not yet very clear if dealt with or not. More reports are needed.

People care, but you don't listen carefully.

And actually you would like people not to care rather than to care.

Hold, if it was only friend code you would have a point, but hasn't it been established that it's just one option to add friends along with social media accounts, friends you've played with and NNID. And you don't have to use it if you don't want to? Or did I miss something?

Social media accounts is also not confirmed. It seems to be done via Miitomo and SMR. So the social media accounts that you have also friends in those apps.

Top Bottom