• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

nightside

As excited I am for the Switch, getting information like this last minute clearly reeks of poor planning and rushing; with no communication regarding this. Shit like this needs to be planned and ironed out prior to launch. We still don't know about the virtual console shit, if and when Nintendo will address the joy con lag and some others. So yes, if I'm going to to drop a few hundred dollars into a system, I want everything ironed out as much as possible and have every right to feel like this; which isn't an overreaction considering many others feel the same way.

The joycon problem seems to be already fixed according to reports from other users. Anyway we already know that switch is launching (more or less like any other console... Well.. Maybe more) still "work in progress". We'll have to wait until the later months of the year when the "final" online service launches to see what in reality Nintendo is preparing. I suspect we'll have some substancial updates

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo confirmed them in a statement.

You mean this one:

Several methods can be used to add friends as quickly and easily as possible: · By linking Nintendo Switch to your Nintendo Account, your friends from Miitomo and Super Mario Run will appear as friend candidates so you can easily send them a friend request.

Also, we are planning it so that friends from social networking services will be listed as candidates, too.

In the future, you will be able to send a friend request to friends associated with your NNID (Wii U/Miiverse) and Nintendo 3DS.

In some games you will be able to use an in-game interface to send friend requests.

You can send friend requests to those who have played with you recently.

You can establish a friend through local wireless communication.

You can also send a friend request by using a friend code.

Currently is not supported.

It will be sometimes in the future.

Oriel

The most eye-rolling thread about this thread isn't the people freaking out about friend codes, it's the Nintendo fanboys rushing in to dismiss and belittle any negative sentiment towards Nintendo.

Yeah, that is pretty odious. Debating with Ninty fanboys on other fora and they really lose their shit if someone is critical of the Switch. Nintendo going third party would not be a pleasant sight.

Okay, so there's several different ways to add friends...and none of them is the simplest and easiest way to do it.

Damn it Nintendo, you don't have to be "unique and innovative" in every single aspect. Sometimes just using what works from the other guys is the correct answer.

AzaK

Sounds like an alright solution until they can get the social network link up and running. But man, they really should have been clear about this far before the Switch launches.

After launch? Umm wouldn't have it been the easiest, simplest and only necessary way to do it if they'd just added it at the start? My god they're backwards.

The_Lump

Banned
So why was NNID dropped/changed in the first place?

Why was this not possible already in Nintendo Account in all the time that passed since they launched it?

Couldn't agree more.

As with a lot of this, it seems like a very soft launch imo. Much of it seems like it's still in beta.

Let's hope they put their foot on the gas and pump out these updates.

The most eye-rolling thread about this thread isn't the people freaking out about friend codes, it's the Nintendo fanboys rushing in to dismiss and belittle any negative sentiment towards Nintendo.

I think the most eye rolling thing is the people posting this sort of condescending shade at no-one in particular.

Yes there are fanboys doing their silly fanboy things, there are also the 'LOL-Nintendo' crowd doing their silly thing too.

Just ignore them and pay attention to the moderate folk in the middle either voicing genuine concerns or rational analysis and explanation.

When their three mobile apps all had separate friends lists which all had different methods of adding friends I knew this would be a mess.

So Nintendo Account User ID's will solely be used as an alternate method to logging into your account? It's so pointless.

I think we can all agree the console was suppose to release in the fall. The software side of this thing is so bare bones and with the app that supports party play and what not coming in the fall, it makes it all to obvious.

I personally don't mind, online components aren't a big deal to me. But damn it must be real disappointing for some.

When their three mobile apps all had separate friends lists which all had different methods of adding friends I knew this would be a mess.

So Nintendo Account User ID's will solely be used as an alternate method to logging into your account? It's so pointless.

Except that part isn't a mess at all. This literally pulls in from all those friend lists and auto suggests people from them

Neptonic

I petition that the thread title gets changed to "you can add friends on switch with social media, also, friend codes"

I think we can all agree the console was suppose to release in the fall. The software side of this thing is so bare bones and with the app that supports party play and what not coming in the fall, it makes it all to obvious.

I personally don't mind, online components aren't a big deal to me. But damn it must be real disappointing for some.
Yeah this launch feels soft so the core audience can jump on early, play zelda, and Nintendo can get the kinks out by winter for the casual market to buy it for the holidays.

While this in itself isn't the end of the world, it just adds up.

-Friend codes
-Save data can't be transferred; no cloud storage
-Lack of achievement system
-No built-in party chat; you must use an app to play and communicate with friends
-Miiverse, StreetPass, the Internet Browser and Activity Log are now gone
-Apps aren't available; no YouTube, Spotify, Netflix, etc.
-Bluetooth audio is not supported
-A measly 25GB of available storage

We can do this with any system (I like the PS4 btw), you have to look at the big picture and not compare apples and oranges

PS4 (Not the end of the world, but it adds up) :p
-Gaming on the go not easy
-No microSD support
-Bluetooth Audio not supported
-HD Rumble not supported
-Touchscreen gaming not supported
-Lack of kickstand :p
-Nintendo games not supported
-Table top mode not supported
-Poor support for motion gaming
-Split controller not supported
-Lack of screen on device
-Wireless local LAN (8 ply) not supported
-Power usage far exceeds 16 watts (140 watts)
-Difficult to play indies games on the go

This list is BS of course

Pokemaniac

They really seem to be trying to offload actual useful features to Facebook and Twitter on this console, which really sucks because I don't have accounts on either of those services.

Jumeira

Banned
We can do this with any system (I like the PS4 btw), you have to look at the big picture and not compare apples and oranges

-No microSD support
-HD Rumble not supported

You made a statement about PS4 then discredit your evidence. Even if we were to ignore that, your points are nonsensical and arbitrary whereas the poster you quoted listed legitimate neglected features that is standard in consoles.

I mean, the apologist are some of the most regressive group of gamers that enable companies like Nintendo to implement backwards features. You gamers were downplaying online because Nintendo weren't onboard during GC days then freaked out when they made MK, SSB online, you gamers were downplaying HD gaming during Wii era then we're blown away when Wii U brought HD versions of Nintendo IPs (ignoring it was a gen late), you gamers downplay power because Nintendo didn't offer it, now praise Breath of Wild for it's huge expansive, rich, immersive world which is mostly thanks to....more power. Now it's friend codes, a blindingly convoluted method of adding friends, instead of scoffing at the very idea of it re-emerging your downplaying its presence! Such low standards, so welcoming of complacency.

Pokemaniac

I mean... there's a pretty easy solution to that problem

Why should I have to get social media accounts for stuff I was able to do on the console before? It's a definite regression in the services provided.

And really, if I wanted to have Facebook or Twitter accounts, I'd have them by now.

your points are nonsensical and arbitrary whereas the poster you quoted listed legitimate neglected features that is standard in consoles.

The features I listed are now standard for a Nintendo console, which the PS4 doesn't have, you know why, not because the PS4 is crap, its because Sony choose to do things differently, they have a different philosophy to gaming, you may not like it, but to insult others who do accept it makes you look like a fanboi

All systems have drawbacks and I listed many, but that's not what the system was for, so yes that list is BS, unless you wanted something different like what the Switch offers then counter lists are BS as well, just my piece :)

Really when looking at any system, positives are better way to go, because companies build to their positives i.e. PS4 - power, Switch - mobility

I think people are giving Nintendo way too much credit with this 'soft launch' business. This is modern Nintendo. They fuck up so consistently it's almost scary.
The Switch is a very cool piece of tech... that is hampered by Nintendo's complete inability to read the market anymore.
Having friend codes, no browser, no online infrastructure to be speak of and one major game at launch is inexcusable.

I love nintendos games. They have been a great part of my gaming hobby for 25 years. But 'modern' Nintendo is a blind old man swinging at a piñata 40 feet away with a pencil nub.

sonto340

doesnt Xbox Live have absolute user IDs on the backend which is why you can change your name on the fly?
I imagine once you can add by NNID thebswitch will be the same but will surface your absolute ID.

Alchemy

This shit is why Nintendo fails, will continue to do so, and fucking absolutely deserves it. Just fucking copy a functional system for once.

Spy

-No microSD support
-HD Rumble not supported

Your argument is terrible because the PlayStation 4 isn't a portable gaming system. By your logic, I should have additionally commented on graphical fidelity and performance; something I did not do which would have been fair since Nintendo markets the Switch as a home console.

Also, the Switch is coming out in 2017, not 2013 and should be judged as so.

Well let's hope when they finally unveil this phone app which is supposed to be used for all their online social features which aren't in the console, it will integrate with your Facebook and other stuff to let you add friends from that.

Rezbit

I already really like my Switch, but it makes no sense not to use the ID heaps of people just made. I mean you can add completely random strangers from games you play online, so why I need a dumb 12 digit number?

Pretty dumb they would use this system to add friends. It does seem like a pretty minor inconvenience though, so I'm not too bothered. Any online community I'd be joining here I'll just be asking for their number instead of their name so it's not that much of a difference. I'll just keep my code in my GAF profile for easy access. I do hope they change it to adding through NNIDs as well ASAP though.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
9QVUHTv.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now that I have it it's even more annoying. You can't even search among the friends you have in Miitomo or other smartphone apps, you can just see several that get suggested. If you have more than 10 friends there, bad luck,

Adding through social media is such a half step, it doesn't excuse friend codes whatsoever.

I have friends that don't have or use facebook or whatever, especially the ones more likely to buy a switch.

And that's assuming nintendo ever even gets around to adding that functionality. As it is now super mario run and miitomo? Lmao fuck off, I can't think of a single person I know off the top of my head that has those, and I've never touched them either.

How hard is it to just use usernames or phone numbers, it's a simple thing that literally every other service in the world does fine.

There's is literally zero excuse for nintendo being this backwards.

Pokemaniac

The prime problem with this is that many people add friends not due to knowing them in real life, but having such good competition with them.

If I play someone in say Guilty Gear or CounterStrike and I find them to be a worthy opponent that I'd like to play more with, I add them to my friends list so we can play later on a personal lobby. This goes double if it is in a game that isn't too active.

No the problem with this system is adding people that you know from other things. The use case you're discussing is covered by being able to bring up a list of people you've played with online.

That is exactly my point, it's easy to make a list of negatives of any system when you compare it to something it obviously isnt

The Vita had more online functionality than this, though. The PS4 and the Vita actually work quite well together--if there's anything to look at there for an online system example, that would be it.

Based on what I'm reading, this is the 4th console where the online part was a mystery or clusterfuck.

watershed

Banned
I don't like entering friend codes at all but it turns out its really easy to add friends to your Switch through Nintendo apps like Miitomo and Fire Emblem and Super Mario Run. That has helped a lot.

Why is everyone so keen on linking their social media profiles to the console? This an absolute shit resolution for a non existing problem? Why can't Nintendo just build a user platform like the others?

What if you don't have a social media profile or you don't play any of the phone games?

Top Bottom