• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

Iwata's full thoughts on the deal, from the investor Q&A

If I can talk a bit more about our just-announced alliance with Universal Parks & Resorts, we first met with them in April last year when I was visiting the U.S. on a business trip. We met with people from NBCUniversal who proposed the possibility of the theme park business to us. Even before then, the possibility of theme park attractions (with Nintendo IP) had become an often-discussed topic in society. Even inside Nintendo, the possibility had been discussed several times. But we had not made this a reality because, on each occasion, the time was not ripe yet or we were not able to find an appropriate partner with whom to work. In the case of our first meeting with Universal Parks & Resorts, they provided us with a very detailed proposal right from the beginning. Also, as we met right after they had opened the Harry Potter attractions, we were able to learn precisely how they had been created. We received a great deal of useful information from the first meeting for us to review if they possessed a corporate culture which would ensure us the ability to license our IP to them and to work well together. Since the proposal was so specific, as soon as I returned to Japan, I informed Mr. Miyamoto, of our company, and told him that I wanted to give positive consideration to it. Since then, we have met with them several times in Japan and in the U.S., and not only me and people who carry out our negotiations but also members from each company's creative side, namely, people who will be assigned to make the actual attractions and Nintendo's game producers who have been creating our games for many years. As a result, we confirmed that we share a lot of common ground between our corporate cultures, and because parts of the proposal made us really excited, we have decided to work together on a long-term basis.

It's really telling that Universal presented Nintendo with a detailed plan when proposing the deal. They're fuckin' serious. This is gonna be a gamechanger.

People should also note that Universal Studios Orlando had sort of... I guess you could say B-grade attractions in comparison to Disney World's A-grade attractions, which is basically the top dog in terms of attraction quality, food quality, aesthetic, cleanliness, all that sort of thing. This was before Diagon Alley, which is absolutely and completely on par with anything Disney has put out in their parks - Diagon Alley is Universal bringing their A-game, thanks to all that Hogsmeade money they made in the years prior. Even the original Hogsmeade was sort of a B+ attraction in terms of aesthetic and overall feel, like Universal improving themselves but not quite on Disney's level. Diagon Alley is Universal matching the bar that Disney set, and if they can bring that quality to Nintendo attractions, then it's going to be a very very good set of attractions.

People should also note that Universal Studios Orlando had sort of... I guess you could say B-grade attractions in comparison to Disney World's A-grade attractions, which is basically the top dog in terms of attraction quality, food quality, aesthetic, cleanliness, all that sort of thing. This was before Diagon Alley, which is absolutely and completely on par with anything Disney has put out in their parks - Diagon Alley is Universal bringing their A-game, thanks to all that Hogsmeade money they made in the years prior. Even the original Hogsmeade was sort of a B+ attraction in terms of aesthetic and overall feel, like Universal improving themselves but not quite on Disney's level. Diagon Alley is Universal matching the bar that Disney set, and if they can bring that quality to Nintendo attractions, then it's going to be a very very good set of attractions.

Pre-Potter, I would have still put Spider-Man above any Disney attraction in North America not named Indiana Jones, and even then its debatable between those two. Just my opinion.

Universal's maintenance, cleanliness, etc. were all awful before Comcast bought them out. Now, it's generally fantastic.

I definitely say Universal gives Disney a run for its money in food recently. Three Broomsticks and Fast Food Boulevard (Simpsons) are the best quick service restaurants I've eaten at in a park, bar none. Finnegan's and Mythos are great table service restaurants, and the CityWalk additions (Antojitos, Vivo, Cowfish, etc) are all top notch and pretty affordable.

Drago

Iwata's full thoughts on the deal, from the investor Q&A

It's really telling that Universal presented Nintendo with a detailed plan when proposing the deal. They're fuckin' serious. This is gonna be a gamechanger.
God I'm so fucking excited for this thing. I literally cannot wait for it. That Universal already had a detailed proposal worked up makes me believe it's gonna be big.

Would be amazing if it's ready by 2018, if that's possible...

MK_768

God I'm so fucking excited for this thing. I literally cannot wait for it. That Universal already had a detailed proposal worked up makes me believe it's gonna be big.

Would be amazing if it's ready by 2018, if that's possible...

Well Universal usually is good(quick) with developing their attractions. Not like Disney whom take forever it seems...

Well Universal usually is good(quick) with developing their attractions. Not like Disney whom take forever it seems...

Also from the sound of Iwata's answer it seems like it's way past the "Oh let's work together on this" stage and it's more in the "here's what we wanna do" stage. Hype!

Cyd0nia

Banned
I need real life Mario kart with lazerquest style targetting that disables opponents karts, slows them down or makes them spin on their hidden waltzer-style axles. Invisible blue shells that disable the kart in first.

I don't care if the track is baby park. In fact it probably should be!

Tregard

Soothsayer
That Splatoon assault course they're using for mess fest could be retooled for Nintendo Land, and it would be the bomb diggity. Although how are universal normally when it comes to paint on people?

Top Bottom