• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

xaszatm

Banned
If there isn't a Metroid ride in the vein of the Men in Black: Alien Attack ride, I'll be pissed.

I'd rather prefer that being Luigi's Mansion. The ghosts are much more likely to attack you by spinning you round and round and those ghosts will look less stupid then the more complicated aliens of Metroid.

Chindogg

So what does Toon Lagoon actually have? A bunch of mismashed characters from the 40's,50's and 60's? From what I gathered, the other islands at Orlando at least have some pull (even Seuss, I'd assume is bringing in bucks.)

It seems the most likely to go, if they have to off something.

Yeah the two water rides are Popeye and Dudley Do Right.

I'd rather prefer that being Luigi's Mansion. The ghosts are much more likely to attack you by spinning you round and round and those ghosts will look less stupid then the more complicated aliens of Metroid.

I see where you're going but, personally, I want a Luigi's Mansion ride in the vein of the Haunted Mansion at Disney World...

Gartooth

I've never been to Universal Studios Florida. I've gone to the California park before, but never the Orlando park since any extended family trips lean towards Disney World every single time. Really want to go there though to see Marvel Superhero Island before it closes (if it happens) and a Nintendo park would be even more incentive.

Also I would LOVE a dark ride of a Nintendo IP with animatronics. Universal seems big on having video though which lowers my expectations of that happening.

xaszatm

Banned
I see where you're going but, personally, I want a Luigi's Mansion ride in the vein of the Haunted Mansion at Disney World...

But where's the fun in that? The Ghosts do nothing to you in the Haunted Mansion. Luigi's ghosts are either cruelly sadistic or sadistically playful depending on the game. Make much more sense to be able to have a flashlight/vacuum weapon to get rid of them.

Honestly, I'd rather have Metroid be either a roller coaster or a simulated ride. A roller coaster to stimulate Samus rushing to leave a planet she's about to blow up. again. Or a simulated ride to stimulate Samus on a mission all alone. Isolation is key in Metroid, after all and I'd like to see Universal keep that theme if possible.

Look at DisneyWorld. There's multiple parks spread over multiple properties.

Knowing the area, I'd love to hear where you propose that to go since the Universal area is developed. It would need to be close enough for a tram or a boat ala Disney.

Which is WHY I said what I did.

EDIT: Marvel Superhero Island is not going anywhere. ZERO chance.

Enforced

JhXuH7h.jpg
lol :p

I wonder if Nintendo will have plans to bring Koji Kondo there and play the music. The same thing they did atNintendo World 2011. I would love to see Koji Kondo in person.

I can see luigis mansion becoming an attraction. Maybe even a animal crossing village to walk through. Would be cool to get off the Harry potter train and walk into animal crossing.

So what does Toon Lagoon actually have? A bunch of mismashed characters from the 40's,50's and 60's? From what I gathered, the other islands at Orlando at least have some pull (even Seuss, I'd assume is bringing in bucks.)

It seems the most likely to go, if they have to off something.

I would agree this is a good spot to set up shop. A good amount of real estate too.

It's a boring part of the park that I always walk right through.

RagnarokX

Any guess at the earliest this might open?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizarding_World_of_Harry_Potter

A Harry Potter themed attraction at a Universal Studios park or a Disney park was rumored in 2003.[1][2] However, the rights to the Harry Potter franchise had been acquired by Warner Bros., who denied all rumors.[3] In January 2007, About.com reported a rumor from a "highly credible source" that the Islands of Adventure park's Lost Continent area was going to be re-themed "to the stories and characters of one of the most popular children's franchises".[4] Other sources followed up in the next few days with unofficial confirmation that the new area would involve Harry Potter.[5][6] On May 31, 2007, Universal, in partnership with Warner Bros., officially announced The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be added to Islands of Adventure.

At the Islands of Adventure theme park, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened June 18, 2010.

If it's Harry Potter-size, minimum 3 years?

Chindogg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizarding_World_of_Harry_Potter

A Harry Potter themed attraction at a Universal Studios park or a Disney park was rumored in 2003.[1][2] However, the rights to the Harry Potter franchise had been acquired by Warner Bros., who denied all rumors.[3] In January 2007, About.com reported a rumor from a "highly credible source" that the Islands of Adventure park's Lost Continent area was going to be re-themed "to the stories and characters of one of the most popular children's franchises".[4] Other sources followed up in the next few days with unofficial confirmation that the new area would involve Harry Potter.[5][6] On May 31, 2007, Universal, in partnership with Warner Bros., officially announced The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be added to Islands of Adventure.

At the Islands of Adventure theme park, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened June 18, 2010.

If it's Harry Potter-size, minimum 3 years?

I'd bet on it. If they put in half the amount of detail they put into Hogsmede you're looking at 2-3 years easily.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LOL why is this marvel thing gaining any ttaction? Its a no brainer for universal... it rakes people in, and Disney basically gives them free advertising for it.

I would agree this is a good spot to set up shop. A good amount of real estate too.

It's a boring part of the park that I always walk right through.

The properties/characters on this area are quite old, but it is a fun place to little kids together with Seuss area (not the rides, but the area and Toon Lagoon). But yeah, if something needs to be replaced, it is this area.

border

I think it's utter insanity to suggest that Universal will give up the rights to the Marvel characters -- especially since those rights include every Marvel franchise. There are three separate movie studios that will be constantly trying to push X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Avengers in theatres. So multiple times every year those IPs will be getting a big push from Hollywood movie studios, and all that marketing benefits Universal at no cost to them. What's far more likely is that they tear down some old attractions to build new Marvel rides. Men In Black could easily be repurposed into a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. Why offer Terminator 2 3D when you could have Avengers 3D?

Universal isn't going to give up Marvel unless they get a super-massive payday from Disney.

StillEdge

Damn. I'm in Southern California and they way everyone in here is talking about Universal Studios in Orlando it makes me jealous. The one in Hollywood is kind of boring. I bought an annual pass a year or two ago and only went the same day I bought it. :(

LOL why is this marvel thing gaining any ttaction? Its a no brainer for universal... it rakes people in, and Disney basically gives them free advertising for it.

Some Disney fans desperately want to believe Universal will lose the rights
even though Disney wouldn't do shit with them anyway

Seven years for Avatar Land, likely 2020 or some nonsense for Star Wars Land...yeah right. Trustworthy sources are saying we're getting a massive Hulk refurb and an Avengers E-ticket at IoA well before 2020.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Some Disney fans desperately want to believe Universal will lose the rights
even though Disney wouldn't do shit with them anyway

Seven years for Avatar Land, likely 2020 or some nonsense for Star Wars Land...yeah right. Trustworthy sources are saying we're getting a massive Hulk refurb and an Avengers E-ticket at IoA well before 2020.

avengers e ticket?

border

Out of curiousity, will Universal have the rights to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them or will that have to be re-negotiated with JK Rowling?

avengers e ticket?

It's a bit of a nebulous term. Generally means a ride of the highest caliber (in budget, thrills, production values, technology, etc). A headliner attraction.

Out of curiousity, will Universal have the rights to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them or will that have to be re-negotiated with JK Rowling?

Not sure but both parties would be fools to not agree on something.

A lot of talk in here about Nintendo replacing Lost Continent, but I say that's prime Fantastic Beasts territory given its position next to Hogsmeade.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dreams do come true. God is real. Universal will do Nintendo justice. This is a freaking megaton omfg. This is one property I could see making Disneyland and Disney World sweat.

border

This should be great. Though I'm kind of sad Nintendo didn't team up with Disney instead.

If Nintendo partnered with Disney, their intellectual properties would always be playing second fiddle to Disney IPs. Universal will market the hell out of Nintendo attractions because they don't have much else that appeals to kids under 10-12 years old. Harry Potter will get kids to come to Islands of Adventure, Nintendo will be what makes them want to come to the original Universal Studios.

Dreams do come true. God is real. Universal will do Nintendo justice. This is a freaking megaton omfg. This is one property I could see making Disneyland and Disney World sweat.

It's like they planned the Kong announcement to coincide with this for a one-two punch.

*Uni announces Kong*

Disney: Shit

*Uni announces Nintendo the following day*

Disney: FUCK FUCK FUCK

If Nintendo partnered with Disney, their intellectual properties would always be playing second fiddle to Disney IPs. Universal will market the hell out of Nintendo attractions because they don't have much else that appeals to kids under 10-12 years old. Harry Potter will get kids to come to Islands of Adventure, Nintendo will be what makes them want to come to the original Universal Studios.

That, and there's been stories about Disney's emphasis on creative control being one of the factors why JK and WB signed the Potter contract with Universal instead. Looking at Universal's history with third-party IPs, the Nintendo project should very much be a collaboration between the parties.

I'm hoping that the Smurf rumor doesn't come true!
I would rather that not be true as well but then that would likely mean that we would be getting full fledged attractions from this Nintendo partnership.

It's pretty difficult to make Disney sweat to be honest. Magic Kingdom alone still has more guests than both Studios and Islands combined. Nintendo won't change that.

Chindogg

avengers e ticket?

Back in the earlier days of Disney you didn't pay one admission to enter the park. You'd buy a ticket book, similar to some carnivals and smaller theme parks. Each book had A-E tickets, each ticket based on the size and extravagance of the ride. While the train might be an A ticket, Space Mountain was an E ticket.

All that said, I've yet to hear anything about an Avengers E ticket attraction. I have heard of a possible Hulk retheming and removing Dr Doom's Fearfall, but nothing beyond that.

Source: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/04/rumor-is-disney-nearing-a-deal-with-universal-for-marvel-theme-park-rights/

There are Fantastic Beasts characters in Daigon Alley already, including a stage show.

Wait what? THIS week? How do you know this, whats the source of this? If true that's incredibly interesting. To think Disney would pay a billion dollars to refurb a competitor's park segment to get the license back is outrageous and oh-so-possible!

Read the link above.

Universal's making hand over fist on Daigon Alley alone. Springfield was a massive retouch that's very popular and Transformers was also huge for the Studios.

The realistic options are:

1) Replacing Marvel Super Hero Island. Disney apparently met with Universal this week about possibly retheming the Hulk ride and removing Dr Doom's Fearfall in accordance to a new deal. If Disney ponies up the billion in retheming a whole new land, it could be worth it to Universal to relinquish the license.

2) Replacing Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon has been the least popular "Island" in the park and there have been several possible retheming rumors from Lord of The Rings to Warcraft.

3) Replacing the Kidzone/Barney/ET attractions at the Studios. That whole area is quite old, ET being there since the park first opened. Included there is the former Hard Rock restaurant building and a large chunk of space, about a fourth of the park's worth.

What won't happen:

Replacing Jurassic Park. Kong is being built and Jurassic Park's rumored to being expanded a bit as Jurassic World.

Replacing The Lost Continent. That's pretty much extra space for Harry Potter if they need it.

All in all those are the most likely scenarios.
Wait what? THIS week? How do you know this, whats the source of this? If true that's incredibly interesting. To think Disney would pay a billion dollars to refurb a competitor's park segment to get the license back is outrageous and oh-so-possible!

Yeah, Universal really needs a billion when Comcast gives them half of that every single year to use in the parks.

Edit - this might be believable if Comcast was in financial trouble, but I'm pretty sure they wipe their asses with one hundred dollar bills over there. Marvel is one of Uni's biggest draws and there's no way they're letting that go with the position they're in.

What an awful park, so regret the day we wasted there.

It's weird mang. I know Disney doesn't call it a zoo but that's really what it feels like. It's a park based on sightseeing and exploration more so than attractions. I'm an attractions guy so it doesn't offer me much. Everest is a good coaster I guess....

Edit - so happy to see theme park discussion crawl out of our little hole in OT community ;_;

It's weird mang. I know Disney doesn't call it a zoo but that's really what it feels like. It's a park based on sightseeing and exploration more so than attractions. I'm an attractions guy so it doesn't offer me much. Everest is a good coaster I guess....

Back when we went the prices were even higher than other Disney parks(drinks were like $3+ more).
Also the rapids ride which we waited 3 hours for was the worst of that type of ride I have ever seen.

Everest wasn't even opened yet, missed it by a few months.

Back when we went the prices were even higher than other Disney parks(drinks were like $3+ more).
Also the rapids ride which we waited 3 hours for was the worst of that type of ride I have ever seen.

Also waited a long time for that ride in the past, and...yeah :l

You should check out Popeye at Universal. Obliterates pretty much any other rapids ride on the planet. It's a fucking asshole of a ride, but in the best possible way ;)

This should be great. Though I'm kind of sad Nintendo didn't team up with Disney instead.
Between Star Wars and Marvel (potentially), Disney is going to have a hard enough time trying to fit all of their properties into their parks. Even then, I'm sure they'll build Frozen-land or something along those lines first.

You should check out Popeye at Universal. Obliterates pretty much any other rapids ride on the planet. It's a fucking asshole of a ride, but in the best possible way ;)

Need to try it, we passed on it.
Though my favorite water ride overall for some reason is Ripshaw Falls at IOA.
Went on it like 6 times in a row.

Between Star Wars and Marvel (potentially), Disney is going to have a hard enough time trying to fit all of their properties into their parks. Even then, I'm sure they'll build Frozen-land or something along those lines first.

Disney has enough space to open up another park if they have to.

RagnarokX

They could retheme that Popeye ride as a Pikmin ride.

Kinda funny that Mario started in Donkey Kong, which was originally supposed to be a Popeye game.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that Mario movie Nintendo was talking with Sony about. Maybe they were talking with Universal as well and this is part of a bigger package.

Mario was originally going to be Popeye and ended up being sued by Universal over the use of Donkey Kong's name. The very same Universal that's going to build Nintendo themed attractions at their theme parks.

The world goes round, they say....

I wonder if Universal flew any of the Nintendo higher-ups before finalizing the contract? I can picture Iwata and Miyamoto losing their shit on Spider-Man or Gringotts, lol

Top Bottom