• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to shut down Wii shopping channel on 2019/01/31

eXistor

Phew, thankfully I already bought the Konami Rebirth games fairly recently, so I'm good. Still miffed they never released those physically in one big collection.

Megatron

Phew, thankfully I already bought the Konami Rebirth games fairly recently, so I'm good. Still miffed they never released those physically in one big collection.

Which were those? I know of only one castlevania games. What are the others and are they good? I bought Castlevania yesterday.

t-storm

Does anyone have any extra Wii points lying around they don't need?

Would like to download Yoshi's journey for my son before the channel goes kaput!

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Do we know if you will still get the Wii -> Wii U price discount for re-buying a virtual console game you own on the E-shop after the Wii Shop Channel closes?

Garou

OP post updated with games to be lost with shutdown would be helpful.

Define “lost”, like does a VC game that currently isn’t available elsewhere count?

This is why I can't understand anyone that goes digital on a Nintendo console. So many reasons not to.

Re-downloads will stay up for the time being, they only announced their end for “the distant future”.

IrishNinja

everytime this thread gets bumped, i think i should go buy whatever konami rebrith games i don't have

really wish they'dve been put to a disc

randomkid

Define “lost”, like does a VC game that currently isn’t available elsewhere count?

Earlier I wondered if someone could make a list of VC games that aren't also available in good form on eShop, PSN, XBLA or PC (Steam/Humble/etc.). In other words, games that are going to be impossible to buy legally in digital format once Wii Shop closes. Since no one has narrowed down this reddit list yet, I took a really half-assed stab at starting it by removing Genesis and NeoGeo games I know you can get elsewhere. Maybe someone else can help narrow things down further, since there's a lot of games I don't know about. I left in things like FF and Ys for now that are significantly different on other platforms (and Chrono Trigger which is significantly worse to play on PSN) but the ideal final list would mark those kinds of games with asterices along with games you can get on NES and SNES classic.

This list definitely has games on it I know you can get elsewhere, but I haven't done the research to know if those other versions are significantly worse or different. That's where crowd-sourcing should help if people actually care!

A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia
ActRaiser
Adventures of Lolo 2
Aero the Acro-Bat
Aero the Acro-Bat 2
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Alien Storm
Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior
Battle Lode Runner
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Bio-Hazard Battle
Black Tiger
Blades of Steel
Bomberman '93
Bomberman Hero
Bonanza Bros
Bonk1Bonk's Adventure
Bonk2Bonk's Revenge
Bonk3Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure
Boulder Dash
Bravoman
Break In
Bubble Bobble
BurgerTime
California Games
Chase H
Cho Aniki
Chrono Trigger
ClayFighter
Columns III: Revenge of Columns
Commando
Cratermaze
Cruis'n USA
Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
Darius Twin
Dead Moon
Digital Champ: Battle Boxing
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure
Double Dribble
Dragon Spirit
Dragon's Curse
Dynastic HeroThe Dynastic Hero
Elevator Action
Enduro Racer
Eternal Champions
Exed Exes
Faxanadu
Fighter's History Dynamite
Fighting Street
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Forgotten Worlds
Galaga '90
Gaplus
Gate of Thunder
Ghoul Patrol
Gley Lancer
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
International Karate
Ironclad
JJ Jeff
Kid Chameleon
King of the Monsters
King's Knight
Kirby's Avalanche
Last Ninja 2: Back with a Vengeance
Legend of Hero Tonma
Lords of Thunder
Lunar Pool
MUSHA
Magical Drop II
Magical Drop III
Mappy
Mega Turrican
Mercs
Military Madness
Milon's Secret Castle
Monster Lair
Moto Roader
NAM-1975
NES Play Action Football
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
Ninja Master's
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Operation Wolf
Ordyne
Pitstop II
Pokémon Puzzle League
Power Golf
Powerball
Prince of Persia
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Psychosis
Pulseman
Riot Zone
Rolling Thunder 2
Rygar
Samurai Ghost
Secret Command
Secret of Mana
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Sonic Chaos
SonSon
Space Invaders: The Original Game
Splatterhouse
Splatterhouse 2
Star Force
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Street Slam
Strider
Summer Games II
Super Adventure Island
Super Adventure Island II
Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise
Super Baseball 2020
Super Bonk
Super Fantasy Zone
Super Smash Bros
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Super Thunder Blade
Super Turrican
The Combatribes
The King of Fighters '94
The King of Fighters '95
The King of Fighters '96
The King of Fighters '97
The Last Ninja
The Legend of Kage
The Revenge of Shinobi
The Tower of Druaga
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
Tower Toppler
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
World Class Baseball
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
Ys Book I & II
Zanac
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

kc44135

Wii shop existed for like 1 1/2 decade and the games will not suddenly stop working after January 2019.

So no reason to be so pissed.

Future generations will no longer be able to play these games. Outside of Wikipedia articles and YouTube videos, it will be like these games never existed. Additionally, after the Wii Shop shuts down, with your purchases being tied to your system, your games will no longer be playable when your system dies. You don't think that's sad? You don't think there's any value in preserving the history of this medium, or any reason to be pissed when companies treat said history with complete and utter disdain and disrespect. You've never had the urge, ever, to replay a game you enjoyed in the past? Just look at randomkid's list and tell me nothing of value is being lost here (which doesn'r even include Wiiware stuff, btw).

Future generations will no longer be able to play these games. Outside of Wikipedia articles and YouTube videos, it will be like these games never existed. Additionally, after the Wii Shop shuts down, with your purchases being tied to your system, your games will no longer be playable when your system dies. You don't think that's sad? You don't think there's any value in preserving the history of this medium, or any reason to be pissed when companies treat said history with complete and utter disdain and disrespect. You've never had the urge, ever, to replay a game you enjoyed in the past? Just look at randomkid's list and tell me nothing of value is being lost here (which doesn'r even include Wiiware stuff, btw).

Isn't the entire catalog of Wiiware games backed up for use in Dolphin?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

What are you talking about? Every single game that ever was on the Wii Shop has been backed up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

"Preserving history" isn't the same thing as nothing ever changing and everything is always sold forever and ever, it means that those things are not lost altogether and are still archived somewhere. This job has been taken care of (every single Wii Shop product, whether VC or WiiWare, from every region, has been backed up).

If you're really really worried about personally having access to this stuff, you have 18 months to buy the things you want and back them up yourself. That's great news, and the total value of all the WiiWare games is low enough that you can literally buy every single one of them and it's financially manageable if it's important to you. Modding a Wii and backing up your legitimate purchases is very easy and there's lots of information about doing so online. I'm sure you probably won't buy 353 WiiWare games or whatever, but if there's some stuff that's important to you, the great news is that you've got 18 months to come up with and execute a plan.

It's true that in 2060 your great-grandkids or whatever probably won't be able to legally play Jett Rocket. They will have to choose between doing without or pirating or going to Frank Cifaldi Jr Jr's Video Game Museum. If your values are such that you view piracy as an unforgivable sin, even in the case of non-commercial stuff that can never be obtained legally by a defunct business, then you clearly recognize that authors have the right to withdraw their stuff from sale and prevent you from buying it if you didn't already. No harm, no foul. If, on the other hand, you think it's a cryin' shame and your ethical values dictate something be done about this great evil... then you've already made the decision that something being available and accessible is more important than the moral right of authors to withdraw something from sale, so go ahead and pirate it.

Boogiepop

Man, hoping Switch VC exists and launches before this. (Well, if it does exist (which I really, really hope it does), it surely would HAVE to launch by that point, right?)

Because otherwise, there will probably be a good number of Japan exclusive games I grab for the Japanese Wii, including some stuff I'd probably rather grab on Switch that would surely end up there... Though I guess this just kind of boils down to "man, wish Switch had a VC so I could dig into the Japanese VC on a more modern console..."

theclaw135

Banned
This is why I can't understand anyone that goes digital on a Nintendo console. So many reasons not to.

Like I was saying before, 1st generation Xbox Live shut down in 2010.
No one can purchase, download, or redownload content for the original Xbox from official servers. Nor transfer to another console by officially supported methods in the event of hardware failure.

Not so dissimilar to the final outcome of Nintendo's announcement past 2019. They never made a Wii-to-Wii transfer tool available to the public either.

Has anyone backed up all the WiiWare game manuals? They are not part of the game (probably thanks to the tight file size limits). You get a very brief operations guide in-game but for the rest you have to go onto the Wii Shop channel.

Now I remember the access Wii shop via PC stuff stopped working 9 years ago but looking now it seems recently the Accessing Wii Shop Channel From PC article on wiibrew has been edited with some steps involving downloading certificates suggesting a solution exists.

Not sure what you do about delisted WiiWare games. I guess you have to know their title ID.

There is also the small things like the store pages and the game descriptions themselves.

theclaw135

Banned
Has anyone backed up all the WiiWare game manuals? They are not part of the game (probably thanks to the tight file size limits). You get a very brief operations guide in-game but for the rest you have to go onto the Wii Shop channel.

Now I remember the access Wii shop via PC stuff stopped working 9 years ago but looking now it seems recently the Accessing Wii Shop Channel From PC article on wiibrew has been edited with some steps involving downloading certificates suggesting a solution exists.

Not sure what you do about delisted WiiWare games. I guess you have to know their title ID.

There is also the small things like the store pages and the game descriptions themselves.

I didn't know and/or think about all that. But I rarely download WiiWare or read game manuals in general. Part of me thinks Korean stuff might not end up quite so exhaustively preserved...

This impending shutdown has inspired me to go back and look through the WiiWare and Wii VC libraries again. I've thought about it, and decided that even though the store will completely vanish in Jan. 2019, I'll buy a bunch of digital Wii games while we still can; some look interesting and I meant to get them sometime, and this has gotten me to finally get around to that.

Because lots of good and great games release on Nintendo platforms. I'd rather be able to play games now...

Like I was saying before, 1st generation Xbox Live shut down in 2010.
No one can purchase, download, or redownload content for the original Xbox from official servers. Nor transfer to another console by officially supported methods in the event of hardware failure.

Not so dissimilar to the final outcome of Nintendo's announcement past 2019. They never made a Wii-to-Wii transfer tool available to the public either.

And MS just shut down the X360 XBL Indie Games store a few days ago, you can't buy those games anymore. Redownload may still be available, but the store is shut down.

And on the partially-disabled front, the PSP and DSi stores are both shut down on those devices. Most DSIWare games are available on 3DS, but you can then only play them on a 3DS, not a DSi. As for the PSP, you can still play downloadable PSP games, but you need to download them on a PS3 then transfer them from there to the PSP, which is kind of a pain.

Console download-only stores go down eventually, because of the nature of the console business -- each platform only lasts so long, after all.

Basically what I'm saying is thank goodness for the hackers and pirates who save all this stuff and make sure that all downloadable games continue to be available, instead of vanishing as soon as the platform dies out!

ugly

I think Nintendo should set this as the music on the Wii Shop channel on the final day for buying points and then leave it like that until it closes down

Laws00

This thing was the goat of VC when they were pumping stuff out and then it came to a trickle.

Sad that it slowed downed to what it came to for the Wii U release and then their VC couldn't hold a candle this ones.

Hell it was far more organized then Switch and Wii Us when you wanted to look for something

Top Bottom