• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing | 10:00 AM JST

It's wild to me that people are still mad about 2017 launch. I was angry this morning at 3am but now I get it. I'd rather get an A+ launch in March than a C- launch in November.

pooh

The launch date (if it's even true and not just another lie) is the last thing I'm upset about. Screwing over Wii U owners with the Zelda bait-'n-switch...

... And before you say that I'll just buy it anyway, I'll remind you that I skipped Wii U and have no regrets, especially after last night.

Wait, so you don't even own a Wii U, but you're upset for Wii U owners?

1. "As you might be aware, we are currently developing new dedicated gaming platform under the codename 'NX', which is scheduled for release globally in March 2017. We have no further announcements to make about NX today. We hope to share more information by the end of the year. Thank you for your understanding."

2. "Thank you for your question. Our current responsibility as a company is to put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches. We will do so through expanding the gaming population that has access to Nintendo IP. This goal cannot be achieved just through one or even two business ventures, but a number of different opportunities that expand the reach of our properties around the world. These include our investments in software for smart devices, as well as development of dedicated gaming platform, codename 'NX', that has a brand-new concept. Please look forward to more information and developments concerning these businesses in the future."

Bravo.

The Boat

After last night's shitshow, does anybody actually care? Unless they're announcing that NX has Polaris 10 and Zen for $350 along with every major third-party game from Q4 2016 and Q1 2017, there's nothing they can do to redeem themselves to me right now.

I'm sure the top brass at Nintendo is committing sudoku because they can't appease you.

NolbertoS

So, I heard that Nintendo's revenues dropped 60%. That's a fucking massive srop that I hope someone drills the new CEO how they can make up for it. If this had been Sony or Nintendo, a lot of heads would be rolling.

Scum

It's wild to me that people are still mad about 2017 launch. I was angry this morning at 3am but now I get it. I'd rather get an A+ launch in March than a C- launch in November.
It's perfectly fine for many to be pissed off, especially at the lack of NX at E3, but it sheer madness the way some are reacting to the news. lol

Don't waste you time, mate. It's not worth it.

The Boat

Given its Nintendo, it's definitely sudoku.

LAIGHGF.gif

MuchoMalo

Banned

Yes. It's called empathy.

I'm sure the top brass at Nintendo is committing sudoku because they can't appease you.

I'm speaking for myself because I shouldn't speak for others. I know that it sounds dumb, but assuming what everyone else wants would have been worse.

I know that I exaggerated, but the point is that Nintendo needs to go big or go home. NX can't be mediocre hardware with an anemic lineup. More powerful than PS4 by a sizable margin, several big games at launch with at least one major exclusive, no more than $350, tens to hundreds of millions spent on marketing, an amazing reveal, a good name, new IPs, no post-launch drought, third-party support, and all handheld games playable on console. That's not asking too much of any other company, so why should I give Nintendo a free ride?

Kouriozan

AGITΩ;202083581 said:
I thought there was still 2 hours left, given what Takashi Mochizuki posted up.
It's happening right now, live-tweeting is forbidden but first official infos will be released in about 2 hours, yes.

Mik317

The launch date (if it's even true and not just another lie) is the last thing I'm upset about. Screwing over Wii U owners with the Zelda bait-'n-switch, waiting until the last minute to tell us not to expect NX at E3, giving us no idea of when to expect it, only having one playable game at E3... The point is, they fucked up. They fucked up hard. They haven't learned anything from their past failures, so they need something huge to make up for it. Unfortunately, we know that they'll just half-ass it. Never in my life did I think that a company could screw up so badly at such a crucial time.

And before you say that I'll just buy it anyway, I'll remind you that I skipped Wii U and have no regrets, especially after last night.

so wtf are you so mad for?

The launch date (if it's even true and not just another lie) is the last thing I'm upset about. Screwing over Wii U owners with the Zelda bait-'n-switch, waiting until the last minute to tell us not to expect NX at E3, giving us no idea of when to expect it, only having one playable game at E3... The point is, they fucked up. They fucked up hard. They haven't learned anything from their past failures, so they need something huge to make up for it. Unfortunately, we know that they'll just half-ass it. Never in my life did I think that a company could screw up so badly at such a crucial time.

And before you say that I'll just buy it anyway, I'll remind you that I skipped Wii U and have no regrets, especially after last night.

Were you one of the few people who didn't believe Zelda was coming to NX? It's been knd of obvious for a while imo. Also Zelda is the only Wii U game to be playable at E3, there still looks to be 3DS games coming out.

Nintendo going to Nintendo. I don't see it as a screw up, I just see it more or less as a delay announcement for any game. Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not worth getting upset over.

Regardless, I am excited to see what comes of this. I'm not expecting much, but we could get some glimmers of interesting things.

McHuj

So, I heard that Nintendo's revenues dropped 60%. That's a fucking massive srop that I hope someone drills the new CEO how they can make up for it. If this had been Sony or Nintendo, a lot of heads would be rolling.

So much for the promise of return to Wii-like profit levels this fiscal year.

Sandfox

The Zelda thing was obviously coming and they did the same thing with Twilight Princess.

So much for the promise of return to Wii-like profit levels this fiscal year.

I remember someone posting that Kirishima stepped away from that when he took over.

Linkhero1

If you put E3 through the thought process of "Really Giant Commercial" then you will have investors asking why aren't we part of the big commercial.

In regards to the NX? I don't think they've announced their E3 plans yet, but I can see them showing more than just Zelda. It's weird that Zelda will be the only playable game, yeah, but they never stated it will be the only game they show or talk about.

In regards to the NX? I don't think they've announced their E3 plans yet, but I can see them showing more than just Zelda. It's weird that Zelda will be the only playable game, yeah, but they never stated it will be the only game they show or talk about.

I more meant the NX, yes. I'm like at least 70% confident whatever presentation they have at E3 will also focus on upcoming releases and possibly other announcement to try and stave off the barren holiday season.

But I more mean showcasing their shiny new thing in the world's biggest commercial.

Honestly I don't think it would've been a problem if Zelda was the only playable game with Nintendo showing some NX stuff as part of their presentation. Even if Nintendo feels like the NX isn't ready they could atleast show a game or two or something.

I guess think of E3 2011 with Wii U. They could've did something like that to a lesser extent then did their full reveal later this year.

Isn't this where some were speculating Nintendo might talk about their recent deal with Universal Theme Parks? It's been a year since they signed and we don't know anything else besides that.

I'd be happy just with confirmation that they're building in Orlando too and not just Universal Japan.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Were you one of the few people who didn't believe Zelda was coming to NX? It's been knd of obvious for a while imo. Also Zelda is the only Wii U game to be playable at E3, there still looks to be 3DS games coming out.

Nintendo going to Nintendo. I don't see it as a screw up, I just see it more or less as a delay announcement for any game. Yes, it's disappointing, but it's not worth getting upset over.

Regardless, I am excited to see what comes of this. I'm not expecting much, but we could get some glimmers of interesting things.

Nah, I called it the second Iwata mentioned NX. Delaying it to 2017 instead of just releasing it on Wii U this year and NX at launch is BS though.

I'm mostly pissed off because they're making the same mistakes as Wii U and cranking them up to 11, and I can't believe that people were paid millions of dollars for such a ridiculous strategy. It's baffling, and I can't wrap my head around how they have no idea whatsoever about what killed Wii U. I'm confused, I can't figure it out, and the headache is just making me more angry. I'm so confused that I'm wondering if setting my expectations super high is better than setting them super low since they're going to fine some insane way of doing worse than I could possibly imagine anyway. I just want them to do something logical. Is that too much to ask?

Are you in character??

Sorta. As I said, I'm confused and I don't know if setting my expectations super high or super low is better at this point.

Funny enough, I ripped on a guy for whining like a baby about it in a YouTube vid. Heh.

Anarky

Banned
Nah, I called it the second Iwata mentioned NX. Delaying it to 2017 instead of just releasing it on Wii U this year and NX at launch is BS though.

I'm mostly pissed off because they're making the same mistakes as Wii U and cranking them up to 11, and I can't believe that people were paid millions of dollars for such a ridiculous strategy. It's baffling, and I can't wrap my head around how they have no idea whatsoever about what killed Wii U. I'm confused, I can't figure it out, and the headache is just making me more angry. I'm so confused that I'm wondering if setting my expectations super high is better than setting them super low since they're going to fine some insane way of doing worse than I could possibly imagine anyway. I just want them to do something logical. Is that too much to ask?

Snickers_wrapped.jpg

Sandfox

Launching the Wii U version before the NX version doesn't really make much sense.

Also, what "same mistakes" are you seeing? I don't really see anything similar to the issues the Wii U present for the NX at this point in time.

Sorta. As I said, I'm confused and I don't know if setting my expectations super high or super low is better at this point.

Funny enough, I ripped on a guy for whining like a baby about it in a YouTube vid. Heh.

I hope this is sarcasm...

The Boat

What exactly are they doing that's the same as Wii U?

georly

I've never seen a bigger doomsayer.

Let things play out. Be patient.

giphy.gif

Muchomalo needs to relax and take a little time off from the Internet. He's letting "bad" news get into his head and he seems flustered and confused. I'm not saying anything bad about him, but once he cools off he'll be able to think clearly lol

MuchoMalo

Banned
Launching the Wii U version before the NX version doesn't really make much sense.

Also, what "same mistakes" are you seeing? I don't really see anything similar to the issues the Wii U present for the NX at this point in time.

They're going way too long without any info, which causes too much pent-up hype and ensures disappointment. Iwata should have shut his mouth last year, or just said that they're still working on their next system instead of giving a codename. They way that they're handling this isn't a sign that they've done anything about their poor marketing either. Their E3 plans tell me that their marketing team is even worse than ever. Really, they would have been better off dropping E3 completely and just having a Zelda Direct while having Zelda demos playable at Best Buy or something. All that they need is a botched reveal and underwhelming gimmick, and we have Wii U Too.

I'm obviously talking about the pre-launch mistakes here. I'm obviously not getting my point across in the way I mean to, so I'll just stop. Sorry everyone.

Sandfox

They're going way too long without any info, which causes too much pent-up hype and ensures disappointment. Iwata should have shut his mouth last year, or just said that they're still working on their next system instead of giving a codename. They way that they're handling this isn't a sign that they've done anything about their poor marketing either. Their E3 plans tell me that their marketing team is even worse than ever. Really, they would have been better off dropping E3 completely and just having a Zelda Direct while having Zelda demos playable at Best Buy or something. All that they need is a botched reveal and underwhelming gimmick, and we have Wii U Too.

What does any of that have to do with the marketing team? I don't think they get to choose what is shown off at E3.

It's been a while but I don't think the "going too long without info" thing was a percieved issue with the Wii U. Iwata mentioned the NX as early as he did because of the DeNA partnership in order to alleviate fears that Nintendo would go mobile only.

Top Bottom