• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

43 61 6e 27 74 20 77 61 69 74 20 74 6f 20 73 65 65 20 6d 6f 72 65 20 6f 66 20 74 68 65 20 6e 65 77 20 63 6f 6e 73 6f 6c 65 21

49 27 6d 20 65 78 63 69 74 65 64 20 66 6f 72 20 4e 58 20 62 75 74 20 61 6c 6c 20 49 20 72 65 61 6c 6c 79 20 77 61 6e 74 20 74 68 69 73 20 79 65 61 72 20 69 73 20 74 68 65 20 6e 65 77 20 5a 65 6c 64 61 21

"Decent online and systems and great tech all in one on another platform."

We've honestly got people calling for the death of a console that hasn't even been revealed as blatant port begging so Nintendo can go 3rd party for an all-in-one console that doesn't even exist?

That's pretty amazing, in an awful way.

sinxtanx

2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2e 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2d 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 20 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2d 2d 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2d 2e 2e 20 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2d 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 2d 2d 20 2d 2e 20 2e 2e 2e 2d 20 2e 20 2e 2d 2e 20 2d 20 2e 20 2d 2e 2e 20 20 20 20 20 2d 20 2d 2d 2d 20 20 20 20 20 2e 2e 2e 2e 20 2e 20 2d 2e 2e 2d

Pif

Banned
The year NX is coming out able to compete with ps4.

Now again underpowered because of ps4k.

Nintendo can't catch a break.

Mr Swine

Banned

I'm more than happy that it can compete with the PS4 if the rumors are true, better than waiting at the end of the generation to do that

Davey Cakes

PS4 is still a beast of a machine and if NX matches it or gets close then it'll surely be competitive just by being a Nintendo platform with experiences you can't get anywhere else.

Nintendo's issue isn't matching the other guys. It's creating a platform that people want. They don't need power to do that. But, they need to improve in many other areas. A console that's actually marketable would be a start.

Banned
PS4 is still a beast of a machine and if NX matches it or gets close then it'll surely be competitive just by being a Nintendo platform with experiences you can't get anywhere else.

Nintendo's issue isn't matching the other guys. It's creating a platform that people want. They don't need power to do that. But, they need to improve in many other areas. A console that's actually marketable would be a start.
The PS4 wasn't even a beast when it launched. I'm the only one on this forum who believes it'll be more powerful then PS4 in every metric and it'll be closer to a PS4K then a vanilla PS4.

Call it wishful thinking or whatever, but I feel like Nintendo doesn't have a choice but to make it more powerful.

The PS4 wasn't even a beast when it launched. I'm the only one on this forum who believes it'll be more powerful then PS4 in every metric and it'll be closer to a PS4K then a vanilla PS4.

Call it wishful thinking or whatever, but I feel like Nintendo doesn't have a choice but to make it more powerful.

Nope, not the only one. This is what i'm expecting as well.

Nope, not the only one. This is what i'm expecting as well.

I like your optimism. But just to keep my expectations in check, I'll assume it'll be XB1 power level TOPS and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was below XB1 tbh.

In lieu of a Mario game at launch, can Nintendo please instead develop a script I can practice in advance of discussing buying the NX with my wife, in the same year I've been authorized to purchase a PS VR. Cheers.

Banned
In lieu of a Mario game at launch, can Nintendo please instead develop a script I can practice in advance of discussing buying the NX with my wife, in the same year I've been authorized to purchase a PS VR. Cheers.
Sweetie, Super Mario is coming out for the NX this holiday. I know I already bought PSVR and used it for a week and got bored with the tech demo's and no games. But this is Nintendo, and we can play it together and both use it at the same time, unlike VR. Baby please! I'll go down on you every day for three months straight!

Davey Cakes

There is no handheld this year, nobody cares. The New 3DS bought Nintendo an extra year of life.
Pretty much.

The 3DS is still performing decently and is still getting games. Wii U will be a graveyard after a certain point this year. All eyes are on the new console.

I'm actually excited for the prospect of an NX handheld that's "brothers" with the NX console. I have a Wii U and 3DS and it's nice playing both but there's definitely a sort of disconnect between them. A shared platform would absolutely remedy this, and I'm curious to see what Nintendo cooks up.

It'll be interesting to see what sorts of sacrifices/compromises Nintendo makes in order to create this ecosystem where a handheld and console can live in perfect harmony.

I just told my wife a month or so ago, "I don't care how broke we are, I'm buying that thing day 1." And she said sure babe, you deserve it.

You can watch Hulu while I wear my helmet, babe!
This one is for the kids babe!
Nah babe this isn't new! It's an old system I never had! Sold a bunch of games and got it cheap!
I thought you'd rather play Zelda than go on vacation this year!
I'll sleep on the couch for a month!

I think the handheld, or rather it's power, isn't as important as the one of the console variant. Will it match current high end smartphones? Probably not, those things cost a grand hole in your wallet, and it's not like handheld suddenly have subsidized plans. I guess we get a beefed up Vita level, and that should be fine for the handheld.

The console on the other hand is important, due to the 3rd party situation. I don't think Nintendo will have a problem getting the japanese 3rds on board, SQEX slip-up could mean they already have.
But the nature of the hardware, it's power level, tools and engine support are vital in order to get at least the big western thirds back, even for annual IP releases.

Tell her it's probably going to be cheaper than the PS4K! :D

Steph_E.

Why discuss it? if you want the NX, get the NX. You can do it. You know can do it. So do it!

bachikarn

While it is true that power isn't the only thing, neither is price like some people think. Their #1 priority is making an appealing machine, and to do that, they need to figure out who they are really selling it too and focus on them.

The Wii U was a machine that didn't appeal to casuals or core gamers, and that's part of the reason it was a historic failure. If they want to focus on casuals, a novelty gimmick and price is probably more important. If they want to focus on core, they need power parity with the other two. In either case, they also need killer software that appeals to the focus market.

Personally, I think they should focus on the core with the console and casuals with the handheld. I just can't see Nintendo convincing people to drop their phones and sit down and play a console. I think there is a better chance for them to convince casuals to use a handheld due to the portability factor.

Thraktor

Well I've seen zero evidence that Nintendo has suddenly developed a fetish for having the most powerful hardware, and plenty to see they are still interested in doing things different to everyone else.

Googling around, this article is most inline with my thinking.
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-nx-analysis/

The Iwata comment about "a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately", which much of the analysis in the article is based on, was made just a couple of months after the Wii U's launch, when Nintendo still would have had reasonably high expectations for the console, and would have felt that it would have been something worth building on.

Actual work on the NX's SoC appears to have been started in late 2014, two years into the Wii U's life, and by which point it would have been clear to Nintendo that following in the footsteps of the Wii U wouldn't be a good idea. A few months ago, Kimishima made the following statement in an interview with Time magazine:

Kimishima said:
I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.

Now he could just be trying to move away from the Wii branding, but the two devices that he's trying to differentiate NX from are also the only two consoles Nintendo have made where they haven't attempted to compete on performance. I'm certainly not expecting any crazy high-end hardware in NX, but at this point you can't rule anything out.

The Wii U did 'compete' on performance in a not dissimilar way to how an xbone level system would compete if it was launched at the end of this year. I don't think saying it's 'unique and different' sounds like it has anything to do with processor power. It could mean it uses cartridges for all we know.

MK_768

Pretty much.

The 3DS is still performing decently and is still getting games. Wii U will be a graveyard after a certain point this year. All eyes are on the new console.

I'm actually excited for the prospect of an NX handheld that's "brothers" with the NX console. I have a Wii U and 3DS and it's nice playing both but there's definitely a sort of disconnect between them. A shared platform would absolutely remedy this, and I'm curious to see what Nintendo cooks up.

It'll be interesting to see what sorts of sacrifices/compromises Nintendo makes in order to create this ecosystem where a handheld and console can live in perfect harmony.

But Paper Mario...

Lol. In all seriousness though almost all signs point to a home console. Handheld will come in 2017. When in 2017? I don't know. A lot of people seem certain it's coming in Q1 but I don't see it. We'll see.

I definitely believe in my heart we're getting NX info this month. And I'm talking about more than them saying "yeah we'll talk about NX at E3". I'm talking about an event announced for it atleast or maybe the concepts behind it.

XenodudeX

I want to believe, but I'm afraid of being disappointed.

More comprehensive game list:

3DS
- Bravely Second: End Layer – 15th April NA.
- Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge – 28th April NA.
- Yo-kai Watch – April 29th 2016 EU.
- Fire Emblem: Fates – 20th May EU.
- Kirby: Planet Robobot – 10th June.
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force – Summer EU, Late Spring NA.
- Disney Art Academy – 15th July EU. May 13th NA.
- Pokémon Sun and Moon – Holiday.
- Dragon Quest VII – 2016.
- Dragon Quest VIII – 2016.
- Rhythm Paradise Megamix – 2016.

Wii U
- Star Fox Zero – April 22nd.
- Star Fox Guard -- April 22nd.
- Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge – 28th April NA.
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games – 24th June.
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE – 24th June.
- Paper Mario: Color Splash – 2016.
- Zelda U -- 2016

Probably not happening but still on release schedule
- Project Giant Robot – TBD.
- Dr Kawashima’s Devilish Brain Training: Can you stay focused? – TBD EU.

Hoping for a 3D Mario for NX. That's what I most want from Nintendo this year. It's been three years so I don't think it's unreasonable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, so happy they made a Kirby game for summer release. That's a perfect way to start my summer off.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wasn't Devilish Brain Training removed from the section for the "Other" region in the December report?

Doctre81

49 20 6b 6e 6f 77 20 74 68 65 20 6e 69 6e 74 65 6e 64 6f 20 4e 58 20 73 70 65 63 73 20 62 75 74 20 49 20 63 61 6e 27 74 20 74 65 6c 6c 20 74 68 65 6d 20 74 6f 20 79 6f 75 20 75 6e 74 69 6c 20 4d 61 79 2e 20 53 6f 72 72 79 20 67 75 79 73 2e 20 20 49 20 61 6d 20 61 6c 73 6f 20 6e 6f 74 20 74 65 6c 6c 69 6e 67 20 74 68 65 20 74 72 75 74 68 2e 20 41 70 72 69 6c 20 66 6f 6f 6c 73 21

Anth0ny

yeah we should probably get some details this month

also it'll probably be more powerful than PS4 but not PS4K. lel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom