• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

Nibel

Iwata:

The reason why I announced “NX,” which by the way, is not directly related to our alliance with DeNA, was because I wanted to avoid any misunderstandings such as, “Nintendo might have lost its passion for the dedicated game system business,” and because I wanted many people to understand that Nintendo will continue its dedicated game system business with even stronger passion and motivation.

Nintendo doesn't want to get into the mobile space just for that smartphone money, but because they want to get those users on their own hardware which are dedicated gaming systems. They won't run on Android because they do their OS themselves (Iwata also said that Nintendo games have their quality because hardware + software works perfectly together).

Besides, you bring up the '4DS' - what if the NX is a handheld?

NeOak

The facts in the OP, such as the allocation of internal teams to the creation of smartphone games, which takes resources away from core platform software development, and the adoption of ARM processors.

+

The benefits, mentioned in the OP.

Perhaps people should talk about the reasons Nintendo should not use Android?

iOS and Windows CE/Mobile/RT/Phone 7/Phone 8/Mobile 10 run on ARM.

Linux, BSD, etc have ARM ports.

3DS has ARM CPUs. DS has ARM CPUs. GBA used ARM CPUs.

TALES FROM MY ASS YO.

Josh5890

you are insane if you think nintendo will go anywhere near android for their platforms. If they used anything remotely resembling android, it would be the most quickly hacked system since the PSP (where homebrew was a thing in its first week). not in a million years.
This 100%. Nintendo doesnt want their system hacked before it is actually released

This is all but confirmed now – Nintendo's unified operating system, for use in their future platforms, is based on Android.

It is now confirmed that Nintendo is allocating internal software development resources to the creation of smartphone games, which will hinder the pace of releases for their core platforms and business model.

Discuss.

Um, Nintendo stated they were working to unify os/arc to prevent hindering software releases across all hardware and even mentioned once the work is completed the number of devices could increase.

Oregano

Nintendo wouldn't make the mistake again of releasing less powerful hardware, though that may have worked for the wii, it was to the detriment of the wii u and its third party support (on top of low sales of course) No developer wants to downgrade their game. The next Nintendo system will likely have parity with the ps4 and xbox one, and I'm certain it will stray far away from the "wii" name.

I actually think that their next console is more likely to release a set top box version of their handheld than once again make a futile aim for the AAA market.

The home console market is less relevant to Nintendo than the portable market even with mobile cannibalisation.

Richie

I'm gonna laugh if this happens and Nintendo finally has huge third party support...because everyone will port their smartphone games.

HowZatOZ

Banned
The facts in the OP, such as the allocation of internal teams to the creation of smartphone games, which takes resources away from core platform software development, and the adoption of ARM processors.

+

The benefits, mentioned in the OP.

Perhaps people should talk about the reasons Nintendo should not use Android?

So, bulkshit runours you made up? Okay. Nintendo won't be using an Android based OS and if you truly believe that you are all kinds of delusional. How the hell are they suppose to get backwards compatibility working if the Wii U is on a completely different architecture?

Oh right, it's "all but confirmed" according to you.

ghibli99

I'm not touching the OP, but have all of Nintendo's past operating systems been their own, or have any been based on something existing, even if heavily modified?

I don't think it will necessarily be running on Android, but I do think a big part of the mobile push will be also producing some kind of hardware that can run all those mobile games they make for iOS/Android. If the goal is to entice mobile users to buy a dedicated handheld, that handheld needs to be able to also play all the mobile games that the person originally loved.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
"ARM chips are used widely in smartphones (as well as inside PS4 and Xbox One)"

You must be referring to some sort of secondary chips, because it's common knowledge the main APU's are AMD chips.

PS4s primary processor is an x86 based architecture and runs things like games.
The secondary processor is ARM based. It runs things like OS and background stuff.

OP worded that statement erroneously to give the illusion current powerhouse consoles are powered primarily by ARM.

iMax

And perhaps rather than posting "no", you should start listing off reasons that Nintendo shouldn't choose this direction?

Instead of posting patronising comments, maybe you should offer at least one piece of evidence that reflects the title of this thread?

Oersted

The OP is the source

latest

RM8

It's pretty interesting to see someone so strongly convinced of something so incredibly unlikely.

Tadaima

So, bulkshit runours you made up? Okay.

Which made-up rumours? There are no rumours in the OP. Facts are stated as such, reports are stated as such, and my own speculation is stated as such.

For those commenting on "All but confirmed" – it doesn't mean "Confirmed."

No part of me believes Android is going to be the basis for the next Nintendo system. Nintendo will create a proprietary system like they, and everyone else, has always done. (Ouya notwithstanding)

Will there be some kind of simple tie-for developments sake to android on the software level? Possibly. But I'd likewise bet you'll be able to say the same for iOS devices.

Edit: Ha, this is one hell of a thread backfire.

Platy

Nintendo current focus with Mario vs Dk tipping stars and indie dev relationships points to make it easier to port mobile ... not literaly acepting mobiles because it is a GAME FOCUSED DEVICE

Also, NGage, Virtual Boy and now Ouya ? xD

Keyouta

Not confirmed, and I don't think you'll be able to play Nintendo's smartphone games on your dedicated systems.
Also, why can't Nintendo NX be for the next handheld?

Sadist

NX will be one type of hardware and it will be sold as two different systems

- Handheld version

- Console version

... meanwhile Nintendo only has to work with one hardware type to make games. Next gen for Nintendo.

Peltz

Which made-up rumours? There are no rumours in the OP. Facts are stated as such, reports are stated as such, and my own speculation is stated as such.

Wow.... just... WOW.

sniperpon

You also mention that you think the new platform will be backwards-compatible with the Wii U. But I'm not sure there is a finished or even remotely stable version of Android for PowerPC, is there? And it seems to me it would take quite a bit of horsepower for an ARM device to emulate the Wii U.

mrlion

This is all but confirmed now – Nintendo's unified operating system, for use in their future platforms, is based on Android....

...Discuss.

If you want people to take you seriously then don't go spewing stuff you don't even know its confirmed.

Tadaima

Instead of posting patronising comments, maybe you should offer at least one piece of evidence that reflects the title of this thread?

The title is presented as a debate to be challenged, with facts and speculation in the OP to back up the assertion.

NeOak

You are making assumptions and then saying "All but confirmed" as if to give your fantasies some form of validation.

iMax

379ch.gif

HowZatOZ

Banned

Please, for your sake, stop. You are basing your assumptions on nothing, with no actual facts to back you up. Just stop.

Top Bottom