• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

hiryu64

op be like
iXzXptVh6ClIU.gif

NewGame

Banned
After fighting for years against
piracy
instability Nintendo is just going to throw it's security to the wind and make it's software run through an open source?

Please understand.

thtcTT2.png

ugly

I like your style OP. Would explain the extension of Zeldas dev time 'trying to make the best zelda'. Fitting swan song for Nintendo as we know it, eh?

gcubed

After fighting for years against
piracy
instability Nintendo is just going to throw it's security to the wind and make it's software run through an open source?

Please understand.

thtcTT2.png

Please understand you know nothing? Ok, we understand.

Psst... PS4 runs on an open source based OS

Drifters

RIP iOS.

I may actually pick up an NX since a hybrid home system / portable is very exciting to think about.

Oppo

It not going to be android.

Stop with this.

Iwata has consistently stated that the next OS is based on Wii U's architecture.

Nonsense.

I'm a pretty big Android advocate... there is no way in hell Nintendo would touch Android.

Lock this shit please. GAFers are usually better than this.

Not a chance. They'll build something new from the ground up. Of course they might seek out partners (like DeNA) to help them build it, but no way in hell will they build upon something that already exists that didn't originate from inside NCL.

Nintendo uses ARM already.

get out of here with that weak game

So that their games would run everywhere else just with a few root and hacks on any androphone ?
Not happening.

Also, lot of mistakes in your thread. PS4 doesn't use ARM except for a sidechip handling recording for games. As for OS and games, they are running on a x86 processor.

It never was confirmed that their home console would use ARM CPU. And their handhelds already use ARM.

that's just from the first 20 posts

look on ye doubtfulness, mortals, and despair

edit _ I see Sephiroth noticed the same thing lol

This is a beautiful reflection of just how cynical and reactionary some members of gaf have become. Nothing wrong with healthy discussion. But as we can see, there's a lot of pessimism and condescending remarks.

Pizza

If they want to make the NX a service like the Apple store, then having a framework based on android sort of makes sense! If they use an android base as their OS forever, then games from the next console will work on the new 2030 console!

That seems to be what they want to do, especially since the eshop is pretty barren. I could see most virtual console stuff being worked on in the background so that they're good forever under the new NX program. Wii virtual titles had to be reworked for Wii U and after Smash 3ds/Wii U I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want to waste resources doing stuff twice anymore.

Top Bottom