• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

jnWake

I think Nintendo would rather have their own custom built engines and systems so I see them using Android as unlikely. Iwata has also stated that they plan on keeping Wii U's architecture. Besides, they've probably developed nice engines during the development of Wii U games and I'm sure they wouldn't want to rework all of them to be compatible with Android.

Only point in favour of this is that Nintendo and Google seem to have a friendly relationship, so it wouldn't surprise me that much if there was some kind of Android support in the console. Maybe running apps from the Google store or something like that.

Vestal

Gold Member
Android is open source, and is widely supported for that reason. Nintendo's OS is close-sourced, meaning only Nintendo can support it, which is part of the reason it is so slow-moving in terms of development and extremely bloated.

Stop now please. You have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, do you even have the first clue of how consoles work in tandem with their OS? Why do you think Microsoft didn't simply slap Windows 8/10 onto the Xbox One? Why did Sony strip tons of things out of FreeBSD(Orbis) for the PS4?

A Console OS at its core only has the functions it needs to operate, it is one of the reasons a console could out perform a similarly speced computer at running a particular game.

Console OS != Bloated OS.

Kyzer

Banned
So they're gonna use java Nooooooo

Wii graphics confirmed.

I can actually totally see that. Somehow worse than Wii U graphics but justified by a gimmick

PS I'm a huge Nintendo fan they are really lame sometimes

beril

Outside of how silly the idea is, I'm currently working a bit with android development again, and no I don't want Nintendo's systems to be anything at all like this. The Android development environment is just a mess.

CLEEK

There is a 0% chance that Nintendo would base their next platform on an OS with known vulnerabilities. If the NX ran Android, it could be rooted on day one and pirated games could be run on it.

Even if the NX runs a propitiatory OS (which it will), it could technically run a licensed Android emulator to allow access to the DeNA games, but again, these emultaors can be rooted.

Nintendo gain nothing from running Android or having the entire Google Play library running on its next dedicated system. They won't make revenue from non-Nintendo Android games, and would likely think it would detract from their own titles.

The announcement last week was pretty clear to me, that they've partnered with DeNA to have a separate stream of software on Android and iOS. These games will be distinct from the games available on their own platforms.

OP misunderstood Iwata's comments about iOS and Android. He was using them as an example of a hardware agnostic software platform, contrasting them to the hardware platforms of handhelds/consoles.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Outside of how silly the idea is, I'm currently working a bit with android development again, and no I don't want Nintendo's systems to be anything at all like this. The Android development environment is just a mess.
Dunno what you're talking about. It comes from google so it must be an amazing gamedev platform. /sarcasm

Nintendo and Sony are very unlikely to ever touch Linux (let alone Android), because they are too invested in keeping their platforms proprietary.

Roo

Some points against a Nintendo Android based OS.

1. Games will not necessarily increase by simply having Android as the OS. Most Android software uses Google's closed source APIs and services and those will NOT be on Nintendo's OS. So in effect, games will have to be ported to Nintendo's platform anyway.

2. The reason why Google's services will NOT be on Nintendo's Android fork is that Google's services are all or nothing. Want anything from Google on Nintendo's OS, even services to make things easier to port? Nintendo better be prepared to allow the Google Play store on their hardware. Now Nintendo has to compete against Google on their own hardware.

3. Nintendo could follow Amazon and recreate all of the missing APIs and services so apps can be easily ported, but then that becomes a nightmare. First, they're basically writing chunks of their own OS anyway and secondly, Nintendo would have to keep up with any changes Google make to their APIs and their is no evidence Nintendo would be effective at this. Amazon certainly struggle.

4. Any games that Nintendo develop for mobile platforms would be tied in to Google Play services and wouldn't even be initially compatible with their own Android version. Any idea of sharing code between mobile and handheld/console would be difficult at best.

5. Software support has more to do with hardware strength and sales than it does with the OS support. Developers won't flock to Nintendo hardware just for running Android, especially when as mentioned they would either have to strip Google services out of their games or hope Nintendo has comparable APIs available and the sales won't be there compared to just dumping stuff on the Google Play store anyway. Developers aren't exactly throwing their games at Amazon's app store.

6. Open Handset Alliance members aren't allowed to build non-Google approved devices. Basically, a lot of manufacturers would not be allowed to supply hardware, whether that is a SoC or individual components. AMD isn't a member so this may not be the biggest issue, but get ready for higher hardware prices or lower hardware quality because of all the maneuvering that has to be done for non-OHA components that AMD can't supply. Renesas components on Nintendo Android based hardware? Not happening.

7. The platform can be locked down and made hard to root, but the possibility is always there. Unlike most Android devices, which are released for about a year and then retired, we are looking at three to five year life cycles and significant interest in the hardware. Both the Wii U and 3DS have been hacked within a couple of years of release with a handful of people, how long would it realistically take thousands of Android hackers to do the same?

I do apologise if I cover points that have been discussed to death, it took quite a while to type this out.

This post need to be rubbed on OP's face--

SystemUser

OP that quote does not mean that Nintendo wants to use Android. It seems to lean more towards Nintendo using similar architecture (and OS) for their next handheld and home console.

Nanashrew

Banned
But the issue of third parties still remain. The list of third parties willing to support a Nintendo home console is tiny, and still shrinking.

Sharing a library with the handheld and leveraging JP third party support is the best solution I can think of, what's the alternative?

If they do nothing to ensure third party support it's dead on arrival anyway.

They'll have the option to do cross-buy. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate probably would have done much better if it had cross-buy, but Nintendo didn't have any sort of thing in place at the time for them. Though MH3U does allow you to sync data and transfer saves. I was mostly speaking about Nintendo in what they may do, which is a lot of stuff going by their past with connectivity.

I think many of these features could easily extend to third parties. Though I imagine cross-buy and cross save will be the more heavily used features.

Would be nice to have a sequel to Pac-Man Vs. though, and it could be cheaper to have the setup required with cross-buy and wireless connectivity.

Oregano

They'll have the option to do cross-buy. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate probably would have done much better if it had cross-buy, but Nintendo didn't have any sort of thing in place at the time for them. Though MH3U does allow you to sync data and transfer saves. I was mostly speaking about Nintendo in what they may do, which is a lot of stuff going by their past with connectivity.

I think many of these features could easily extend to third parties. Though I imagine cross-buy and cross save will be the more heavily used features.

Would be nice to have a sequel to Pac-Man Vs. though, and it could be cheaper to have the setup required with cross-buy and wireless connectivity.

But unless cross buy is the norm why would they spend resources on the home console version?

It's pretty much why MH4U isn't on Wii U despite MH3U being described as a smash hit.

RexNovis

Banned
complete conjecture blah blah conjecture blah conjecture CONFIRMED
Discuss.

Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound. You're taking quotes commenting on the strengths inherent in competing OS/Development platforms as confirmation of adoption. What the hell are you smoking?!?

Bulbasaur

Banned
I'm inclined to disagree with you.

That would be them handing far too much control over to google. An American company.

I believe their own OS is what they're working on with DeNA.

Aroll

Someone already explained earlier why this is a bad idea. Nintendo basically loses a ton of freedom, and I don't see them being okay with that. When they mention iOS and Android, they were talking about using them as a model for something they want to build. A more unified OS platform. Reggie already said that ideas like the New Nintendo 3DS are teh future at Nintendo - meaning mid level hardware upgrades between generations is likely a thing. Having a system in palce that better supports that and transistioning to new hardware is ideal.

atbigelow

Zero evidence pointing to Nintendo using Android. I'd say there is negative evidence due to all the numerous issues being pointed out in the thread.

Nintendo wants something (most likely NX) that is flexible like Android. Something they can write code for once and adapt with little modification between multiple hardware devices. Android isn't the only thing that has that capability, although it's one of the better consumer products to show it off. Windows has been on plenty of devices (Dreamcast, XBox, XBox 360, XBox One, PCs, PDAs, etc.) in its history as well. That doesn't mean Nintendo is going to use Windows, either.

Indicators are pointing to them using the Wii U OS as the launch point for the NX platform. Which is perfectly fine: have to start somewhere.

I think the bigger thing Nintendo should try to hit would be developer information. Part of what has made the mobile scene explode is that anybody (with about $100) can get access to the representative OSs APIs and make an app. Apple and Google obviously give more attention to the big name stuff, but practically anyone can join in.

That's where Nintendo should be jealous.

Clickbait title.
This belongs on Buzzfeed.

I believe Nintendo will have their own OS with app services on Android and IOS.

It would be a security nightmare to have Android or IOS on a home console. They would have to constantly update to protect against exploits. This would put the OS control away from Nintendo and into the hands of other companies. I don't think Nintendo wants to go that route.

Testing the water here before it is posted on there possibly.

-They are not using another OS but their own
-It will run in both there Handheld and Console, sharing some games between the two
-They will support standard tools and stuff like HTML5, maybe Unity, like they are now and with a set of tools to support migration
-The smartphone games have to be done in a very smart way, so that they pull potential gamers into their devices while at the same time offering a good experience that makes them a buck or two, but not overshadowing the exclusive games.

Ashodin

Naysayers in this thread:
techies.gif

ohlawd

;_;

Chindogg

We still don't have anything beyond "an insider" on one site.

Can we actually get some legitimate corroboration before we go off the deep end here?

anothertech

Just going to say, I don't agree.

Android and IOS will have Nintendo games, this is a given, but Nx architecture based on Android? Really?

LoL

Cboat infiltrated Nintendo.

About the topic, I regret nothing. Until I see somebody from Nintendo saying that they will use Android, this is just a rumor.

It not going to be android.

Stop with this.

Iwata has consistently stated that the next OS is based on Wii U's architecture.

Doubtful. It'll probably be more of an evolution of the Wii U/3DS OS. Probably with better Miiverse integration.

you are insane if you think nintendo will go anywhere near android for their platforms. If they used anything remotely resembling android, it would be the most quickly hacked system since the PSP (where homebrew was a thing in its first week). not in a million years.

Nonsense.

I'm a pretty big Android advocate... there is no way in hell Nintendo would touch Android.

Lock this shit please. GAFers are usually better than this.

Not a chance. They'll build something new from the ground up. Of course they might seek out partners (like DeNA) to help them build it, but no way in hell will they build upon something that already exists that didn't originate from inside NCL.

Nintendo uses ARM already.

get out of here with that weak game

Doesn't make sense to me.

Nintendo has been burned by piracy and is getting more and more successful at keeping pirates away from their current systems. Using Android could undo all of that. They've always stuck to proprietary formats and they do that for a reason.

So that their games would run everywhere else just with a few root and hacks on any androphone ?
Not happening.

Also, lot of mistakes in your thread. PS4 doesn't use ARM except for a sidechip handling recording for games. As for OS and games, they are running on a x86 processor.

It never was confirmed that their home console would use ARM CPU. And their handhelds already use ARM.

Clickbait title.
This belongs on Buzzfeed.

I believe Nintendo will have their own OS with app services on Android and IOS.

It would be a security nightmare to have Android or IOS on a home console. They would have to constantly update to protect against exploits. This would put the OS control away from Nintendo and into the hands of other companies. I don't think Nintendo wants to go that route.

It won't be Android. It's not nearly secure enough for Nintendo.

We have a new insider.

Wait, am I on Polygon or GAF?

Oh man lol....i wanted to quote the entire thread, but that's just impossible...

Armadilo

Banned
Would make sense to make the next Nintendo handheld be compatible with mobile games and apps, especially with the upcoming Nintendo Mobile games that will come out. Better to have a handheld that has all the games instead only half of them

And yet all we have is an anonymous insider with no corroboration.

Let's see if any of this is true first before starting up the crow threads.

But didn't you see? It is not speculation, they have an inside source.

smiley-rolleyes010.gif

EDIT: Just to say that I don't mind Nintendo doing this, I just want proof.

antonz

Would make sense to make the next Nintendo handheld be compatible with mobile games and apps, especially with the upcoming Nintendo Mobile games that will come out. Better to have a handheld that has all the games instead only half of them

Seeing as the insider says its how the industry shit all over the Wii U and turned their back on Nintendo in a way never done to anyone before I would wager this is not handheld related at least not solely

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Meh. Its still only a rumour. Would be shocked if its true even now. Android just doesn't seem to be stable enough for Nintendo to be happy with it. Not to mention its less than tight security. I still don't see it happening.

Jessmo111

Banned
I think the big questions are.

A. Why would you buy another droid device with so many in the house.

B. Will this bring EA the bro dudes and western Nintendo hatings devs back?

Iacobellis

I think the big questions are.

A. Why would you buy another droid device with so many in the house.

B. Will this bring EA the bro dudes and western Nintendo hatings devs back?

Hm... to answer your first question, we don't know why yet aside from this potentially being the only place to play Nintendo games.

Secondly, developers never had distaste towards Nintendo for their OS, it was sales and hardware. Developers were already shying away from the Nintendo 64, two generations before consoles used full-blown operating systems.

Iacobellis

Hmm thats strange, because I recall wii selling lije crack.

The Wii is an anomaly. It was a totally new and different experience you wouldn't have found on the other systems until 2010. It was the cheapest of the bunch as well. Thus, better sales, more reason for any developer to take the risk and develop/port their game to the platform.

Top Bottom