• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America - "Microsoft's not very supportive of Japanese Games"

Cynn

There are three other platforms that get Japanese games regularly. Consider looking into them if you like those games.
I have all platforms. I’d still prefer to have more Japanese game options on Xbox. There’s no reason they should allow an environment where posts like yours exist. Being the odd platform out for a whole region of games is inexcusable.

I have all platforms. I’d still prefer to have more Japanese game options on Xbox. There’s no reason they should allow an environment where posts like yours exist. Being the odd platform out for a whole region of games is inexcusable.

I mean, it’s not that much different than third party western developers avoiding Nintendo.

“We are not so different, you and I...”

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Lets be honest - if you are a fan of japanese games the likelihood of you not own a PS4, PC, Switch or a Smartphone to play those games is rather slim. Im not saying that Xbox shouldnt get jpn niche titles but i cant blame them for not trying anymore.

The Switch would be in the same spot as the WiiU if the unique selling point wasnt so appealing this time with it being a portable too. No one would give a damn about Doom, Skyrim and Co. if Switch wasnt a portable as well - so those games are justified even for people who already own or play them on other systems.

On the Xbox you would have to ask yourself..why would i play...lets say Disgaea on Xbox instead of PS, Switch or PC as a fan of those titles ?

Those are smaller/niche title to begin with...and targeting a niche of a niche when resources are quite limited for these kind of projects - this will always be a tough sell.

Nah, it was a problem in the later days of the 360. Microsoft probably didn't find it economically feasible to do them, or just kind of blanked out on bothering with the smaller runs.

Oh, I hadn't noticed! Thank you. The last small print run I remember was 2012's Dodonpachi Resurrection collection from Rising Star Games.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
When I read this thread I again just feel there is a good chuck of the xbox playerbase that doesn't really care about diversity of titles. So really I guess it's a lost cause then.

Ostia, have you considered making a thread detailing all the problems companies face when porting a game to explain why it’s not as simple or cheap as dragging all the files into an XB1 converter?

It seems way too many people still have that impression after hearing it’s easy to port between PS4-XB1-PC

The bigger problem isnt port difficulty. The porting process is mostly easy and is a one to three person work.

The problem is to justify the existence of the port, the barrier entry that follows the release of the port (QA, QC from the 1st party), the audience and the long term perspectives.

They're still sore about this:

2694254-7236067955-jpg

they took their ball and went home
after trying and failing again with the 360

Ramune

Yup, would want to know more what these companies have to say about as to why they keep supporting Xbox in Japan, although I think experience has said Microsoft helps with the development cost? can't remember.

Anywho this seems like a slow news day type of article.

Expanding what I mentioned before,
5pb cut back on it's Xbox One releases significantly. The only one coming out soon is their Occultic;Nine release and nothing on the horizon for 2018 compared to PS4's lineup
Xbox One lineup
PS4 Lineup
Sony's ecosystem pretty much has eaten Xbox's lunch in Visual Novels, the one area besides Shumps, where they used to be relevant in.

Experience still has an exclusive coming in Yomi wo Saku Hana, although I found it's been delated to 2018. It's also being changed to a Dungeon RPG instead of something new (EXP sticking with their expertise).
Release date change
EXP's Product Listing
While Vita looks to have been their main platform this generation (with occasional dual PS4 release; not sure EXP did those though; especially if they aren't acknowledged on their site), they HAVE released a port to Xbox One (even including English options), and have Yomi wo Saku Hana coming up. We also know they have an exclusive PS4 Dungeon RPG in the works too, although nothing further has been expanded on since then.

CAVE, haven't done a console release since DoDonpachi Saidaioujou for the 360.
CAVE's Consumer game releases
They've since moved on to the mobile front, and have ported some of their 360 releases to Steam. However, they HAVE announced a new console project recently, so it'll be interesting to see where that ends up going to....

While it's an article to attention grab, it's a valid discussion. The more the merrier, but they should have asked one of these 3 companies that had WAY closer bonds with Microsoft Japan than Nippon Ichi or Falcom.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
There’s no reason they should allow an environment where posts like yours exist. Being the odd platform out for a whole region of games is inexcusable.

kay good luck socializing the video game industry

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Because niche Japanese titles are the only reason to get excited about a console amirite? There are literally no other reasons. You'reAlreadyDead.jpg Microsoft
/s obviously

Well, yeah...

But there are plenty of non niche Japanese games that skip Xbox. And nearly every western game (except of course MS first party stuff) comes to PS4 and/or PC too.

NIS America...

It still goes back to the lack of installed base (around 80K).

It's hard to invest on a large release when their is no domestic market.
They're quite willing to release some niche products, but Microsoft only wants exclusive stuff so it's not worth it.

Top Bottom