• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

Can't believe all the people saying it's not a big deal this won't have split screen. You people never played Halo CE or Halo 2 when they launched, did you?

Hats off to the people who think this matters, because it does.

I would have seriously considered buying an Xbone just for Halo 5 if it had this feature. My friends and I grew up playing split screen and LAN Halo.

What a shame.

I bought an Xbox for Halo CE, and played through the Campaign so many times in split-screen. But for me, personally, it is now a non-issue as everyone I know has their own console. It sucks for the people who were hoping/expecting it to be there but it is what it is. And as other people have said, with the advent of stronger networks and personal internet connections, local co-op is becoming a legacy feature.

You know seems like there is no pleasing anyone at all. Gaming community PREACHES!!!! 1080p and 60FPS. Then 343i gives the people what they want, and you all still find something to complain about. If 343 put split screen in, and it ran 900p and 30 FPS everyone else would still complain saying its garbage. I'm personally pleased with their decision great work 343i !!!!!!

The resolution hasn't been confirmed or finalized yet FYI.

Madness

Lol legacy feature. Sorry guys but having real friends is a legacy feature. Haha damn some of you are bonkers.

I don't get it, if you don't have friends all up on your couch, playing like you're still 14 year olds on a single television, it doesn't mean you don't have real friends? Some of my closest friends are less than 4 streets away. But why come over to my house when we can sit in our own place and play? Split screen is a technical legacy feature, things like Firefight are content.

Most Halo fans are now well into their 20's, 30's and 40's. Who has the time to go over to people's houses everyday to play together? At best we get a few hours in between work, school, relationships/family/social life to game.

What a bad analogy. The new trading/battle system still gets you pretty much the same experience. Still requires the same number of systems + games, screens. Actually makes it more convenient in some ways.

Online multiplayer is NOT a proper replacement for splitscreen. To even get close to the same experience would require someone to have an extra console, game, and tv in the same room.

It's as bad of an analogy as how much people are overblowing the situation.

You are right. Online multiplayer is a BETTER replacement for splitscreen since no one has to make compromises on the viewing experience and performance issues of a game. Thanks for making that more clear. ;)

Hubble

Did you know that this action is VERY understandable?

Do you think people that don't use split-screen would want Devs to waste months implementing it when they could be working on other things to make the game better? That's the perfect way to defend it point and simple.

This is just silly and ANOTHER example of poor planning by 343. 343 could have included splitscreen but they do not know how to plan, period. Now it is too late. Examples of this is MCC, no ranks in H4 or no competitive list until way later, no team snipers or doubles until recently in MCC, BTB not ready for the Halo 5 launch. etc., etc. The list is pretty long. Splitscreen could have been implemented if it was included in the design stage of Halo 5, but they seriously have no clue. You can easily tell this by playing their Halo games and how starkly the game is un-Halo at times - killcam anyone? 343 probably did not know how important splitscreen is to Halo, as you can tell by their numerous decisions in the series that they take lightly, but us fans do not e.g., ADS. How do they make a runway as big as it is in Truth that totally ruins the reimagining of Midship? Their Halo games really seem lost.

Local splitscreen has always been a tenement of Halo. There ARE always occasions and sometimes randomly when you have friends over, and they hop in and play some Halo multiplayer. Period. It will always be used at times and when it is, it is highly appreciated, sometimes magical when it is. This is just another misread by 343 on what Halo and what its identity is. There is no excuse that they did not include splitscreen to work on other things.

Eliminating splitscreen is just ANOTHER example out of many, of how 343 does not understand what Halo is and how it continues to include many non-Halo elements like the removal of splitscreen and others like ordinance drops.

I bought an Xbox for Halo CE, and played through the Campaign so many times in split-screen. But for me, personally, it is now a non-issue as everyone I know has their own console. It sucks for the people who were hoping/expecting it to be there but it is what it is. And as other people have said, with the advent of stronger networks and personal internet connections, local co-op is becoming a legacy feature.

Nah. There will always be company at your house at times especially family, and random splitscreen play sessions. Battlefront says hello.

farisr

Edit: quote somehow got deleted and I don't know who this was in response to. LOL.

Or maybe just maybe people feel strongly about a feature they feel is essential to the franchise and some folks defending 343 are showing a strong lack of empathty resulting in this blowing uo more than it should.

We get it, the feature doesn't matter to you, but stop coming up with false equivalencies, snarky remarks about folks being immature,/having no responsibilites for being able to get together with friends on a semi-regular basis and just plain "solo experience would be ruined" type posts in defense of the game.

And yes some people from the "this sucks" side are also at fault for similar reasons attacking the folks who are okay with it.

Fliesen

You know seems like there is no pleasing anyone at all. Gaming community PREACHES!!!! 1080p and 60FPS. Then 343i gives the people what they want, and you all still find something to complain about. If 343 put split screen in, and it ran 900p and 30 FPS everyone else would still complain saying its garbage. I'm personally pleased with their decision great work 343i !!!!!!

get outta here with this crap, seriously.

Yes, people will criticise a studio / publisher for whatever shortcomings of their product.
There is 'pleasing' people. Don't create a false dichotomy here. It's not some insurmountable industry-wide constraint to have split screen as well as good performance.

which doesn't help, if they all have a PS4 ;)
Seriously, people - stop ignoring the fact that there's people who don't have an Xbox One yet and are loosely committed to the PS4 this generation.
Last generation, the 360 was - more or less - the console most people had, especially if you cared about first person shooters (CoD DLC exclusivities, Halo, ...). Back then it would have been less of a pain if they removed Spit Screen from Halo 4. Your statement ("pretty much everyone has an Xbox and a Gold subscription anyway") would have been very true - in today's console landscape, and depending on where you live, maybe 1 in 5 next-gen console owners considers an Xbox their main platform, the rest owns a PS4, has a PS+ subscription and would maybe, just maybe be able to convince one of their buddies to also get an Xbox One for the purpose of Co-Oping through Halo 5.

m23

It's not 1080p60fps as far as I know.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The game isn't 1080p. There is also no reason why having the option for split-screen would cause the single player experience to run at a lower res/fps.

BokehKing

Banned
If people knew it was "30fps or no split screen at all" they would be ok with it imo

BokehKing

Banned
And as other people have said, with the advent of stronger networks and personal internet connections, local co-op is becoming a legacy feature.
And I might actually believe that if not for two other big titles coming out mere days and weeks after include it.

It's not that it's losing interest, no split screen = more consoles sold, more subs sold.

That's the business world forcing a narrative that people are obviously buying into.

BokehKing

Banned
If you think the 60fps limit is the reason that splitscreen was cut, you're a fool.
The dev's already said that 60fps is the backbone of the engine, and I'm very happy for the people that don't utilize split screen and stuff, this is very exciting times, I'm just disappointed.

But yeah, for this particular game, it's not a conspiracy theory, they just made a poor choice that is allowing them to do several great things at the sacrifice of staples to the series.

It's a lose lose situation, there was no making everyone happy. My friend is not going to buy a Xbox one, he only just got a ps4, first time I played Halo split screen was at his house years ago. It fucking sucks we can't play the new entry together.

And I might actually believe that if not for two other big titles coming out mere days and weeks after include it.

It's not that it's losing interest, no split screen = more consoles sold, more subs sold.

That's the business world forcing a narrative that people are obviously buying into.

I cannot see how no splitscreen = more console sales and subs. It doesn't make sense to me that people would support a company after their favorite feature was cut a sane person would just support the games with it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Is it weird in have a foot in both camps?

I completely do not care split screen is gone and believe the number of people who legitimately use it regularly and actually care is miniscule.

At the same time I don't for one second believe 343's reasons for cutting it.

The only halo not 60fps is reach

What? No Halo game on 360 is 60. Hell, even MCC isn't a locked 60.

It's Halo... Don't kid yourself, you were buying it.

If you had no idea about 60fpd, but you were seeing the commercials, you were following hunt the truth ect ect, you would still be hyped.

Right, because 60fps is a Halo staple not splitscreen.

I actually sold my Day One Xbox One I won from that Mountain Dew promotion before it launched because I didn't think they would do it. I just got a used Xbox One delivered to me today for Halo 5 purely because the game is going to be 60fps. I love Halo but after being a PC focused gamer the last five years I can't put up with 30fps shooters anymore. Impossible.

I'm used to playing 120fps CSGO. 60fps or higher if not I won't bother.

Pez

I think 60fps is fine for MP. Single player would better be served at 30fps, though.

More spectacle and the ability to push the hardware makes for a more memorable SP, I would think.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The dev's already said that 60fps is the backbone of the engine, and I'm very happy for the people that don't utilize split screen and stuff, this is very exciting times, I'm just disappointed.

But yeah, for this particular game, it's not a conspiracy theory, they just made a poor choice that is allowing them to do several great things at the sacrifice of staples to the series.

It's a lose lose situation, there was no making everyone happy. My friend is not going to buy a Xbox one, he only just got a ps4, first time I played Halo split screen was at his house years ago. It fucking sucks we can't play the new entry together.
343i have stated that the game engine is synched to 60fps, therefore they can't simply have split-screen run at a lower framerate. Taking them at their word, that still doesn't mean that split-screen was cut so that the rest of the game could run at 60fps. It means that a decision was made in development that made supporting split-screen at 30fps unlikely. It's a decision that would have been made based on expediency and commercial considerations. As such I can't really consider it a "lose-lose" situation from my perspective as a potential consumer.

BokehKing

Banned
I actually sold my Day One Xbox One I won from that Mountain Dew promotion before it launched because I didn't think they would do it. I just got a used Xbox One delivered to me today for Halo 5 purely because the game is going to be 60fps. I love Halo but after being a PC focused gamer the last five years I can't put up with 30fps shooters anymore. Impossible.

I'm used to playing 120fps CSGO. 60fps or higher if not I won't bother.
Could the human eye even detect 120fps?!?
I play world of Warcraft at 100 something fps, it looks the same to me once it goes past 60fps idk..

I played primarily 60fps shooters, but then destiny came out at 30fps, and I adjusted and now it's 'normal' to me. If it's the only game you play it becomes normal that's what I'm saying.

BokehKing

Banned
343i have stated that the game engine is synched to 60fps, therefore they can't simply have split-screen run at a lower framerate. Taking them at their word, that still doesn't mean that split-screen was cut so that the rest of the game could run at 60fps. It means that a decision was made in development that made supporting split-screen at 30fps unlikely. It's a decision that would have been made based on expediency and commercial considerations. As such I can't really consider it a "lose-lose" situation from my perspective as a potential consumer.
Oh I hear ya, that paragraph you quoted from me was my first attempt at throwing a bone to Halo GAF in 20 something pages though, I'm trying to be less dick-ish in my disappointment

I play world of Warcraft at 100 something fps, it looks the same to me once it goes past 60fps idk..

I played primarily 60fps shooters, but then destiny came out at 30fps, and I adjusted and now it's 'normal' to me. If it's the only game you play it becomes normal that's what I'm saying.
I hope so. Playing Titanfall at 60 is starting to feel pretty choppy.

HTupolev

Due to temporal aliasing, there's really no such thing as an "adequate" framerate within how games are rendered. Choose a framerate, and you can come up with something that will be captured in a visibly incorrect way.

If we ignore such aliasing and simply look at temporal resolution (i.e. if we pretend that the video has extraordinarily perfect motion blur), 120fps is starting to push it. Technically the human eye can resolve rates that high; otherwise we wouldn't be able to see flicker in a 60Hz CRT monitor (most people can at least do so for bright imagery in their peripheries). But for less extreme phenomena, there are going to be severe diminishing returns up in that realm.

So the answer is: it's complicated, but in practice, for current video games, yes.

Pretty much. Acclimation is a weird issue; the transition from 60 to 30 can be pretty jarring, especially in like-for-like material, but it really doesn't take that long to overcome.

BokehKing

Banned
Due to temporal aliasing, there's really no such thing as an "adequate" framerate within how games are rendered.

If we ignore such aliasing and simply look at temporal resolution (i.e. if we pretend that the video has extraordinarily perfect motion blur), 120fps is starting to push it. Technically the human eye can resolve rates that high; otherwise we wouldn't be able to see flicker in a 60Hz monitor (most people can at least do so for bright imagery in their peripheries). But for less extreme phenomena, there are going to be severe diminishing returns up in that realm.

Pretty much. Acclimation is a weird issue; the transition from 60 to 30 can be pretty jarring, especially in like-for-like material, but it really doesn't take that long to overcome.
It's harder for me to go from 30 to 60 (say if I bounce from destiny to MCC or COD) My hip fire game drops off a cliff until I get acclimated again and I have to drop the sensitivity to 3 (where once I'm use to it, I have to boost it up to 8 or 9)

Good read though, I didn't know any of that

Monocle

I don't get it, if you don't have friends all up on your couch, playing like you're still 14 year olds on a single television, it doesn't mean you don't have real friends? Some of my closest friends are less than 4 streets away. But why come over to my house when we can sit in our own place and play? Split screen is a technical legacy feature, things like Firefight are content.

Most Halo fans are now well into their 20's, 30's and 40's. Who has the time to go over to people's houses everyday to play together? At best we get a few hours in between work, school, relationships/family/social life to game.
Seriously? You're going to act like splitscreen is just for kids? Get real dude.

It's as bad of an analogy as how much people are overblowing the situation.

You are right. Online multiplayer is a BETTER replacement for splitscreen since no one has to make compromises on the viewing experience and performance issues of a game. Thanks for making that more clear. ;)
Speak for yourself.

Absolutely. That's why when you are used to it 30fps shooters are nigh unplayable. Controls are much less accurate at 30fps and it's hard to see anything.

My favorite party trick to show people in person is to run Battlefield 3 on 360 at 30fps next to Battlefield 3 on PC at 120. It literally looks like the 360 version is skipping and lagging.

I think this is being blown out of proportions on both sides here. I personally don't care about the loss of split screen online MP or campaign coop. I get the ire some people have with the change from previous Halo games, but it isn't a feature that i would have used. In fact, when they announced no same screen coop campaign I was peeved that they were including split screen online MP. When I play Halo online I tend to take it seriously, I'm by no means a professional, but it rips my soul to shreds getting paired up with guests that would be better if they were armless chimpanzees. Obviously not all guests are terrible, but the decent guests are the exception and not the rule. I personally welcome no online split screen in Halo 5. The lack of campaign coop on the same console won't bug me personally as long as the games are on dedicated servers that don't run like hot garbage and the game looks incredible and doesn't run like a bag of ass.

Madness

Seriously? You're going to act like splitscreen is just for kids? Get real dude.

No I'm going to act like how it was for CE and split screen for me. He said those who don't appreciate split screen or call it a legacy feature don't have real friends. I grew up with Halo split screen, what I'm implying is I'm no longer a 13 year old on my couch with friends or at their houses playing, now we're all in our own places, playing over Xbox Live.

Split screen pretty much benefits the younger gamers more because they're able to go over to their friends houses after school, to play, won't necessarily have their own televisions, or live accounts or consoles to play. Or for people with younger siblings. How many 35 year olds are going to go their friends house to split screen, when they can just text or whatsapp, hey get on and play.

Pop

Absolutely. That's why when you are used to it 30fps shooters are nigh unplayable. Controls are much less accurate at 30fps and it's hard to see anything.

My favorite party trick to show people in person is to run Battlefield 3 on 360 at 30fps next to Battlefield 3 on PC at 120. It literally looks like the 360 version is skipping and lagging.

Well yea. But if everyone was forced to play at 30fps, like every other Halo with split screen. You would get used to it after an hour or so. Of course games look choppy going from 60fps or more down to 30fps. But after a couple of matches and its all good. To say otherwise is just foolish.

I much rather have solid 30fps and split screen than a fluctuating framerate. I don't believe H5 will have a rock solid 60fps.

But do you and your friends still need to run 100 feet of cable to play multi-player together? I probably spent 2 years of having 3 friends come to my house to play OG Xbox split screen, we had a teacher who loved Halo who would bring his Xbox to school and hook it up to the class television to play split screen. But then with halo 2, something magical happened. We got Xbox Live and we could play together without going to everyone's home.

By the time Halo 3 came, I think split screen for me was limited to the handful of times I had friends over to drink or maybe a family party, otherwise thousands of matches happened online. This is just anecdotal though and I empathize with people who have siblings, who have loved ones, who have friends who come over to game. But it's not like two halo friends can't play together. We were forced to do LAN or split screen in the past, now we're getting dedicated servers. Frank said the numbers aren't trivial but this is something they just couldn't do to keep the game where they wanted. At the end of the day, the very same people I played with for Halo 2, Halo 3, Reach, Halo 4 and MCC will still be around for Halo 5. All anecdotal though.

If the loss of split screen multi-player and campaign gives you know other options, I think voting with your wallet is the best option. Maybe they'll bring it back for Halo 6, maybe these features are gone forever.

We could of all played together online and we did at times. That didn't matter, we had tons of fun getting everyone together and playing halo. Just because I have the option to no longer physically interact with others doesn't mean I'll always choose it and that's what it comes down to. Choice. We liked having it and it gave us so many great memories. Nowadays we don't have to get together, but it's still nice to at times. Not to mention that I've got my own family now and it would of been grand to play with them. I find that people tend to gloss over couch co-op with family quite a bit sadly.

I'm glad you support voting with your wallet and that is a wonderful mindset that I wish more folks had whether or not they used split-screen. I've got a return label ready and that box with my one in it is just staring me in the face and calling my name begging for a chance. I told it that I wasn't sure if I could manage two relationships and it promised me that it wasn't high maintenance. :p

I think this is being blown out of proportions on both sides here. I personally don't care about the loss of split screen online MP or campaign coop. I get the ire some people have with the change from previous Halo games, but it isn't a feature that i would have used. In fact, when they announced no same screen coop campaign I was peeved that they were including split screen online MP. When I play Halo online I tend to take it seriously, I'm by no means a professional, but it rips my soul to shreds getting paired up with guests that would be better if they were armless chimpanzees. Obviously not all guests are terrible, but the decent guests are the exception and not the rule. I personally welcome no online split screen in Halo 5. The lack of campaign coop on the same console won't bug me personally as long as the games are on dedicated servers that don't run like hot garbage and the game looks incredible and doesn't run like a bag of ass.

The lack of guests is seriously the best thing that could have happened to Halo. Get that mess out of here. 9/10 they're griefing, dropping neg bombs, or just plain bad. It won't be missed whatsoever.

Well yea. But if everyone was forced to play at 30fps, like every other Halo with split screen. You would get used to it after an hour or so. Of course games look choppy going from 60fps or more down to 30fps. But after a couple of matches and its all good. To say otherwise is just foolish.

I much rather have solid 30fps and split screen than a fluctuating framerate. I don't believe H5 will have a rock solid 60fps.

It's not all good. I literaly cannot stand to play 30fps shooters.

Arc

This...this can't be a serious post...

What kind of friends that live so close would do not want to be together? Like what?

I am wondering how people on here will react to armor customization. Which will be limited and not as deep as Reach or Halo 4. Even though there will be tons of them in the Reqs. I again couldnt care because i always choose like 1 armor set and thats it. Reach it seemed like everyone choose the same thing anyway.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

What kind of friends that live so close would do not want to be together? Like what?

Is your post serious?

I live 3.3km from my best man and we hardly ever get a chance to see each other.

I live within 10km of most of my Live friends and don't catch up to co op. We play over Live. You hit a certain stage in your life when "catching up to play videogames" isn't a realistic option anymore.

Happens to most adults.

Hubble

Is your post serious?

I live 3.3km from my best man and we hardly ever get a chance to see each other.

I live within 10km of most of my Live friends and don't catch up to co op. We play over Live. You hit a certain stage in your life when "catching up to play videogames" isn't a realistic option anymore.

Happens to most adults.

This suggestion can't be serious. Yes, we all have XBL accounts but there is always occasions when friends are over hanging out, and the idea to pick up a controller and bullshit and play Halo on the same screen occurs, especially during the holidays. This experience is what many perceived as magical in Halo is now not possible because of 343.

Maximo

Is couch co-op really a thing anymore? I understand that some people still like/want it, but isn't that a minority at this point?

I wouldn't want a dev to waste time including a feature for a small number of people, instead I'd hope they'd put those resources elsewhere,
Hell I'm constantly dissapointed in games not having spitscreen and co-op, my friends and I have resorted to playing board games and Dungeons and Dragons because most video games no longer have 4 player spit screen and don't offer a social experience.

I wish it was a joke. "Play" time is in pretty short supply here as an adult. Kids, jobs, damn pets.. It all adds up and getting together to play on one couch is the first thing to go.

Online multiplayer is a godsend.

krang

If you think the 60fps limit is the reason that splitscreen was cut, you're a fool.

tumblr_m1d0ltNBdl1rqtp94o1_500.jpg

I am wondering how people on here will react to armor customization. Which will be limited and not as deep as Reach or Halo 4. Even though there will be tons of them in the Reqs. I again couldnt care because i always choose like 1 armor set and thats it. Reach it seemed like everyone choose the same thing anyway.

Holmes said in the Game Informer podcast that there'll be hundreds of items for customization, with many, many more to be released post-launch to keep content fresh and so that players have new things to try and unlock and customize their Spartans with. There's going to be way more than Reach or 4 had, from the way he was explaining it.

Which is great, because customization options are never a bad thing!

Holmes said in the Game Informer podcast that there'll be hundreds of items for customization, with many, many more to be released post-launch to keep content fresh and so that players have new things to try and unlock and customize their Spartans with. There's going to be way more than Reach or 4 had, from the way he was explaining it.

This is only great if they aren't charging for all of them.

Two Words

Not everybody is preaching for the same thing. For all you know, one group cares about 1080/60 and the other cares about split screen.

Nipo

For the love of god why do i have to unlock things in modern game design. Just make the gameplay fun and everything unlocked from the start. I'll play longer and have a better time.

VinFTW

For the love of god why do i have to unlock things in modern game design. Just make the gameplay fun and everything unlocked from the start. I'll play longer and have a better time.

That's an interesting perspective. I, personally LOVE unlocking stuff. It's addicting and rewarding.

Top Bottom