• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No local split screen for Halo 5 at all? Campaign or MP...

robotrock

Banned
Oh fuck, that sucks. Me and my step brother just played through the first four in the Master Chief Collection.

We didn't really talk that much before then. You know, back when his mom got with my dad, and my dad got with his mom. I'm not calling anyone who's not my mom "mom" on any day, forever, and so why should I respect her son as if he was my actual brother?

He saw me playing the first Halo on the MCC when it first launched. He broke the ice, and told me, "I heard this game is a disaster technicality."

I let him know the single player portion wasn't so bad, handed him a controller covered in nacho cheese dust, and as we drank several six packs, we blasted through the first four Halo games.

That was back in November though, we haven't been so good after I slept with his mom. I was really hoping to bond with him again with Halo 5's release on one comfortable couch, but once again, it looks like 343 is robbing me of my family.

Bsigg12

Oh fuck, that sucks. Me and my step brother just played through the first four in the Master Chief Collection.

We didn't really talk that much before then. You know, back when his mom got with my dad, and my dad got with his mom. I'm not calling anyone who's not my mom "mom" on any day, forever, and so why should I respect her son as if he was my actual brother?

He saw me playing the first Halo on the MCC when it first launched. He broke the ice, and told me, "I heard this game is a disaster technicality."

I let him know the single player portion wasn't so bad, handed him a controller covered in nacho cheese dust, and as we drank several six packs, we blasted through the first four Halo games.

That was back in November though, we haven't been so good after I slept with his mom. I was really hoping to bond with him again with Halo 5's release on one comfortable couch, but once again, it looks like 343 is robbing me of my family.

You slept with your step mom? What?

tuna_love

Banned

Haha holy shit

Mein gott.

😐 well now lol

Anyway split screen is a staple of Halo IMO. I might not use it much now, but many others do. Sucks.

2874776-1385.gif

Electret

bBEATJi.gif

You deserve a tag for this, my friend.

a.wd

Holy shit!

Noobcraft

o_o

Bread

Banned

image.php

Talax

Is your name hal Emmerich?

How is Treyarch pulling this wizardry stuff off...And how is Dice including it for local play. They both launch on the same system as Halo.

Don't believe anything coming from 343i. Bunch of nonsense

This is the part I don't get honestly.

Did you play the beta?

I did, the kill times felt to quick. The game did not look good enough to sacrifice SS.

I really cant see the problem here.

Its 2015, not 1999.

I'd rather have an overall better Halo 5 game than it to be compromised to some vocal minority group that are still stuck in the last millennium.

Most multiplayer games are played over the internet.

Its not like split-screen has been removed entirely and there is no replacement for playing multiplayer!

Right, in 2015 it should not be necessary to remove a staple feature so opinions like this wouldnt matter. You only feel this way because you dont care about it. What if they removed Forge or something you used all the time? How do those of us with families play together now? How about parties, like in the same physical location?

This thread is longer than the vidoc thread...
and it's the second thread on this. Maybe 343 will pay attention. I know its all the negative people on Waypoint, Beyond and Gaf who shit on 343 but maybe there is a reason that the negative threads consistently are longer than the "positive" ones.

This is common with this franchise, why? I don't see CoD threads like this everyday. The reason is simple, the publisher is not listening. It doesn't mean we have to be insulting, as I have sometimes been. It means when people say they son 't want ADS in a Halo game and they do it anyway, how could you not expect people to act this way.

Look, if this game took ADS out and added SS do you have any idea how many more people (including me) would be excited for this game? Come on now though, Sprint, ADS, ground pound, shoulder charges, no BTB at launch, no SS.

It gets hard man.

post-10149-team-fortress-2-bloody-hell-gi-FLrO.gif

AYF 001

So if he starts smack talking you, does that mean you can legitimately say in a 12 year old voice that you banged his mom?

SaganIsGOAT

How is Treyarch pulling this wizardry stuff off...And how is Dice including it for local play. They both launch on the same system as Halo.

Don't believe anything coming from 343i. Bunch of nonsense

Until we see the frame rates those launch with in both single player and split screen every argument like this is just guess work. Battlefield 4 dropped from 60fps consistenly on the Xbox one and ran at 720p. "but the overall experience across a breadth of levels is predominantly between 40-50fps on both Xbox One and PS4"

I doubt 343 is going to tolerate that level of performance. If Halo 5 drops frames like BF4 did then yes, 343 will get the deserved heat for cutting features and STILL allowing the single screen experience to suffer.

Until we see the frame rates those launch with in both single player and split screen every argument like this is just guess work. Battlefield 4 dropped from 60fps consistenly on the Xbox one and ran at 720p. "but the overall experience across a breadth of levels is predominantly between 40-50fps on both Xbox One and PS4"

I doubt 343 is going to tolerate it. If Halo 5 drops frames like BF4 did then yes, 343 will get the deserved heat for cutting features and STILL allowing the single screen experience to suffer.

Those frame rates don't even matter man. I've got a lazy eye and I can't even tell the difference!

All kidding aside, I'm glad they went for 60, after getting my GTX 970, it's hard going back to 30 fps. I used to be one of those knuckleheads who thought they couldn't see the difference, but when you actually go from one to another, it's rough.

Ishan

Epic post imo a new meme for demanding features has been generated ... Nacho cheese dust ... Slept with his mom . 343 robbing me of my family lolol

I feel like this post needs to be split into an OT topic.

Maybe you and your dad might like to play some split screen together.

Tomash

Developer blog on waypoint

The decision to remove split-screen support from Halo 5: Guardians was one of the most difficult ones we’ve ever had to make as a studio. We know that for many of our fans, Halo has meant playing together with friends in the same room. We all have great memories of past Halo split-screen multiplayer matches. To move Halo’s gameplay forward and deliver a true next-gen experience, tough choices had to be made. Our decision was driven by a desire for scale, fidelity and focus to ensure that we would deliver the best quality experience possible. With Halo 5 we are delivering massive scale environments, improved AI behavior, increased visual and gameplay fidelity… something that truly takes advantage of a new platform. Many of our ambitious goals for Halo 5 would be compromised in a split-screen setting and the time spent optimizing and addressing split-screen-specific issues would take focus from building other parts of the game. Game development is a balancing act of resources, time and technology, and in this case we made the tough decision to sacrifice something that’s been near and dear to us all.

In other words, they want Halo5 to be an XboxOne graphical showpiece, and they are pressed for time. Besides, Destiny doesn't have split screen play, so meh let's dump it too.
Guess me and my kids will never enjoy split screen co-op or LAN matches at our house with Halo5. Oh well, at least we have multiple copies of ODST to play Halo3 mp together forever.

Thanks, MS. Thanks, Destiny.

Developer blog on waypoint

The decision to remove split-screen support from Halo 5: Guardians was one of the most difficult ones we’ve ever had to make as a studio. We know that for many of our fans, Halo has meant playing together with friends in the same room. We all have great memories of past Halo split-screen multiplayer matches. To move Halo’s gameplay forward and deliver a true next-gen experience, tough choices had to be made. Our decision was driven by a desire for scale, fidelity and focus to ensure that we would deliver the best quality experience possible. With Halo 5 we are delivering massive scale environments, improved AI behavior, increased visual and gameplay fidelity… something that truly takes advantage of a new platform. Many of our ambitious goals for Halo 5 would be compromised in a split-screen setting and the time spent optimizing and addressing split-screen-specific issues would take focus from building other parts of the game. Game development is a balancing act of resources, time and technology, and in this case we made the tough decision to sacrifice something that’s been near and dear to us all.

That kind of feels like chopping up the first floor of your 2 story house in order to get materials to build a third floor on top.

sn0man

That kind of feels like chopping up the first floor of your 2 story house in order to get materials to build a third floor on top.

Agreed. Not the priority I would prefer from my living room multiplayer-focused console game.

After the showing of Forza 6 I was trying to hype myself up for an xb1 but this has me leaning ps4 again.

MS should delay this, reprioritize the split screen and LAN, and try again.

Fox Mulder

Agreed. Not the priority I would prefer from my living room multiplayer-focused console game.

After the showing of Forza 6 I was trying to hype myself up for an xb1 but this has me leaning ps4 again.

MS should delay this, reprioritize the split screen and LAN, and try again.

MS didn't delay the MCC and that was broken as hell. No way they're delaying Halo 5 to put in split screen. It's gone and disappointing, but Halo isn't for me anymore.

I've played Forza single player since the first one, so that's all the xbox is to me really at this point.

Oh? Can you link me to that?

I believe it was a post by Frankie admitting that it was a tough call because the number of people who used split-screen was not insignificant. However, they wanted to do 60 FPS + scale, which resulted in the feature being cut.

Don't have a link to the post unfortunately.

JaggedSac

I believe it was a post by Frankie admitting that it was a tough call because the number of people who used split-screen was not insignificant. However, they wanted to do 60 FPS + scale, which resulted in the feature being cut.

Don't have a link to the post unfortunately.

Interesting, if I see that post I will edit my above comment.

DualX

What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the fact that they are trying to push this to be E-Sports, yet it doesn't have LAN capabilities. How does this work during tournaments? Didn't they have to throw a tournament due to issues because they didn't have a LAN option in MCC?

charlie-brown-baseball-aaugh.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the fact that they are trying to push this to be E-Sports, yet it doesn't have LAN capabilities. How does this work during tournaments? Didn't they have to throw a tournament due to issues because they didn't have a LAN option in MCC?

charlie-brown-baseball-aaugh.jpg

That was an online league they cancelled. It wasn't an in-person event.

Akai__

I'm still disappointed, but at least there's finally dedicated severs campaign co-op. I know this won't solve any of the split screen problems, but I appreciate it.

That was an online league they cancelled. It wasn't an in-person event.

Yes and besides that, it's the Xbox One which doesn't support LAN, not just Halo. There's this semi-LAN thing, where one console needs to be connected to XBL and the others don't.

From a personal perspective, this saddens me greatly as every past Halo game has been an opportunity to play through the campaign with my brother in the same room on legendary.

So while I'm sure I'll play Halo 5 eventually this really puts a damper on my excitement for it.

I can understand from their perspective if they really wanted to offer a fluid experience.

Akai__

Both Call of Duty games have system link.

Does it function like real System Link/LAN? Does it require a connection to XBL, because in MCC's case you need at least 1 Xbox One connected to XBL and it "emulates" LAN this way. Would really like to know this, because there's no signs of real LAN support on the Xbox One and it's not something they would patch secretly in.

Top Bottom