• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - 18 minute uninterrupted gameplay demo

c0Zm1c

Good, but disappointingly short again. IGN must really think their viewers have short attention spans! For something more indepth on the game's sound engineering, this article is a very good read.

dalin80

Banned
A 2 minute video... Awesome.

Well at least it wasn't spoiled by IGN talking heads and contained some new stuff. The coverage this month so far has been disappointing as a whole.

A 2 minute video... Awesome.

Well at least it wasn't spoiled by IGN talking heads and contained some new stuff. The coverage this month so far has been disappointing as a whole.

It's a combination of IGN fishing for clicks and Hello Games not wanting to divulge too much about the game. They really don't make a good couple.

somme

So what are the chances IGN will end their First month with a release date? If I don't know soon I may implode.

legacyzero

Banned
YAAAY I'm back.

So what are the chances IGN will end their First month with a release date? If I don't know soon I may implode.

If they announce an August date:

space-impact-1smalle0y4d.png

border

If the game was being released in August, we would already be in the midst of a very extensive pre-order campaign.

I would not expect to see No Man's Sky title released before 2016 at this point. It will get crushed by much bigger IPs during the holidays.....might as well save it for the spring doldrums.

Grexeno

If the game was being released in August, we would already be in the midst of a very extensive pre-order campaign.

I would not expect to see No Man's Sky title released before 2016 at this point. It will get crushed by much bigger IPs during the holidays.....might as well save it for the spring doldrums.
Are we sure it would actually be marketed that way though? Although I suppose releasing a game on such short notice isn't a good business decision no matter what.

Pop

Not if the game is around the $30 range and digital only. There is plenty of time left in the year for a release.

Tigress

*sigh* They already skimped out on the first week of coverage. Now they aren't doing anything much this week either. I hope they at least have a release date.

*sigh* They already skimped out on the first week of coverage. Now they aren't doing anything much this week either. I hope they at least have a release date.

Looks like they might only have an AMA with Sean on Friday. I don't know if that means a release date is more or less likely?

Just saw this interview Sean did with multiplayer.it, it's dubbed in Italian but someone translated it on reddit. Some of the wording Sean used for the factions and the players is interesting, assuming it's correctly translated (tried to hear Sean but the dub is pretty loud in comparison):
I: can you tell us something more about factions?

S: In the universe that we're creating, there are many different factions, they have different kinds of ships, and different allies. You are some sort of new alien species that enters in this universe, so it's up to you decide how to interact with them. You can take sides, for example, if you see a fleet of ships being attacked, you can choose to join the fight or protect it. You can do whatever you want and in the end have a specific reaction from them.

This has been speculated for a long time now (citing the sources the article uses). It's a tough thing though; NMS has been pushed hard (and for good reason) in the marketing department to the masses by Sony and it is seen by and large as a Sony property, despite that not reflecting reality.

I think that puts a lot of pressure on HG and Sony (definitely more the latter) to have the PS4 version shine. Now there is little doubt that the superior version of NMS (even if it's nothing more than greater draw distances and less pop-in) will be on PC, but if this is coming to both Morpheus and Oculus, then given the type of frame rate they'd have to keep constant in order to have a smooth experience, I imagine HG would have to pare down the PS4 version even more and that would only draw more attention to the disparity in fidelity between the two versions. It all might be a non-issue though (except on enthusiast forums like GAF).

Personally, I can see myself owning both Morpheus and Oculus eventually, but Morpheus will definitely be first; I'll want NMS in VR but if the difference between the two versions in VR is night and day, I'll hold out for the PC version (for VR play. NMS is a day 1 buy for me regardless of platform).

Just saw this interview Sean did with multiplayer.it, it's dubbed in Italian but someone translated it on reddit. Some of the wording Sean used for the factions and the players is interesting, assuming it's correctly translated (tried to hear Sean but the dub is pretty loud in comparison):

It's something they've stated all along. Sean's trying to reiterate that this isn't a narrative based game where you're from a specific group and you have to go out to avenge the death of your planet, fight the zargonists who killed your family and every person you know.

You're literary a unique entry into the universe. Everything in the universe works without you and they'll react to you as a new "species" not as if you are someone they recognize.

It's what most annoys the "what do you do?" Crowd.

This seems to be the only place I've seen 2016 listed. Perhaps they're trying to make a safe bet? Every other outlet I've seen lists 2015, INCLUDING Hello Games.

I knew you'd be the first to respond :) Yeah, I don't follow Edge close enough to recall other instances where they listed a release date/year for a game that ended up coming out sooner though. Ultimately, like you I still hedge my bets towards what goes up on HG's website over any media speculation. This year is packed with good games already but man, NMS would be the absolute cherry.

By the way everyone, I goofed up, and did a few Youtube things while I was away on GAF Vacation :D

Cosmic Confusion

3 Part Series:
Inspiration
Impact
Imagination

Yeah, I was quite busy lol

I should have said that Sean Murray has stated directly that it is 2015.

BR5JGxq.png

He was also supposed to announce the release date at E3 but couldn't due to something he hasn't shared. There's nothing concrete right now and it could be delayed.

legacyzero

Banned
He was also supposed to announce the release date at E3 but couldn't due to something he hasn't shared. There's nothing concrete right now and it could be delayed.

A few things I was thinking.

1: Sony wanted a little more mainstream press time. Que IGN First.
2: They had originally were possibly looking at a November release, and then said fuuuuuck that after knowing how many big releases there are in that month.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They could go for December. Most games go for November, rather than December, but it could work out.

2AdEPT

THe projected date was always late 2015 early on, but as others noted, Star wars and other November games may be bad timing for a NMS release. I thought it was common knowledge most are expecting an early 2016 release, no longer late 2015. Also keep in mind that SM has said that the game can evolve further in the future....if he is on to something and it only pushes the release date a few months, we could have a new wrinkle added that we were not expecting. ITs not olike they ever gave us a release date and are changing it, so no worries until that actually happens.

c0Zm1c

THe projected date was always late 2015 early on, but as others noted, Star wars and other November games may be bad timing for a NMS release. I thought it was common knowledge most are expecting an early 2016 release, no longer late 2015. Also keep in mind that SM has said that the game can evolve further in the future....if he is on to something and it only pushes the release date a few months, we could have a new wrinkle added that we were not expecting. ITs not olike they ever gave us a release date and are changing it, so no worries until that actually happens.

I think the only common knowledge about the release date is that there is no common knowledge about the release date!

Tigress

Well IGN has said they won't have the release date at the end of IGN First. Though some people on reddit are trying to read between the lines because it was stated that IGN won't state the release date so maybe Ryan will... I think they're hoping too much honestly.

2016 it is. And even if it is not, for me it will be 2016. I got Mad Max in September (unless reviews come out to dissuade me which I'm not counting the possibility out) and Fallout in November (and that should also take December too).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/30/podcast-unlocked-205-our-xbox-gamescom-predictions
Apparently, go to time 50:45 to hear them say it.

Edit: And now that I outright heard it for myself, those people on reddit are really reaching... I think the IGN guy was just saying that IGN tried to get the developer (can't remember his name) to give an announce date but since it's not up to them they couldn't force it (and apparently couldn't get it).

I think it was a huge mistake for Hello Games to let them do a first if they weren't going to have a release date. What you did is hype up the game, got shitty coverage (almost everything covered was already known) but people hyped up anyways hoping for a release date, and left them with disappointment. That's the last thing you want to leave them with. At this point they really shouldn't hype up the game unless they have a date. *Grumble*.

I'm honestly kinda getting miffed off at Hello Games handling of this. I wish they'd at least just come out and say it's going to be 2016 or later or if they really do want it to be 2015 assure us it still will be then.

At this point if they're not going to release by early Sept, I think it would be better if they pushed it back to early next year. There's always a hunger for new games early in the year once people have burned through Fall releases, and NMS would fit perfectly into that End of January / Early February slot.

Now let's just hope the AMA on Friday gives us more info than the useless videos we've been getting from IGN lately.

Tigress

Now let's just hope the AMA on Friday gives us more info than the useless videos we've been getting from IGN lately.

Yeah, I'm hoping this will at least be interesting. I just wish Hello Games would just say it already, "Sorry, we had to give up on a 2015 release." Sure, the logical part of me says, "accept that." but without them actually coming out and saying it part of me refuses to stop hoping even though I know i'm setting myself up for disappointment. I want them to kill that part of me so I can stop hyping up for it and letting myself wait to hype up for it.

mango_ash

Neo Member
If this doesn't come out this year, what does Sony have to offer then in terms of exclusives for this year's holidays? The line-up is looking weaker and weaker.

c0Zm1c

It's disappointing that we're not getting a release date. It makes the coverage they've been doing seem all the more pointless. I wonder why Hello agreed to do it, because it's evident that they had nothing new to share beyond the anticipated release date. Perhaps at the time they intended to announce it but then changed their minds. I read somewhere that Sean decided against announcing it at E3 for fear of it not being entirely accurate so perhaps it's for that same reason again now?

Top Bottom