• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky drops below 1000 concurrent players on steam

I wonder how many people got refunds in the end.

It's weird, on the one side the guy lied like a fucking champ.

But on the other, every single warning sign was there - delayed launch, review embargo, and when bad word of mouth started to leak out a sudden 'jesus patch' that would fix everything just you wait and see. A small studio who's previous titles were all various forms of shite and a complete lack of clarification on how key gameplay elements actually worked.

I try to just think of it as an interactive idiot tax. It's not even like they'll bother patching half that stuff in if the games already dead and buried and has a tarnished reputation.

Nobody won from this apart from half a dozen now very rich folk who seem to have forgotten how to social media.

It was plainly visible.

I tried to stay way from NMS thread because I was not interested by it since I didn't really understood the point of it but right when they announced the embargo and that the youtube video were purposely being deleted I was sure something was going on.

Well, even if multiplayer existed it is now very unlikely players will ever be in the same space because there are no players. Sean probably knew no one would want to play NMS after seeing the final product. So he technically wasn't telling a lie. Even if it was possible it's still very unlikely. Not a liar: fact!

No he didn't

He didn't outright announce it, but come on.. He stated in an interview there would be no paid DLC. Then like a week later he backtracked on that comment saying not to rule out paid DLC. Wouldn't have said that if there weren't plans. This is exactly why NMS is such a mess. His half assed answers to questions and complete lies. His paid DLC remarks are just another example of this.

But at the same time, at least he tried to correct his false statements here even if it was in a half assed not outright way. Props to Sean for kind of seeing he was full of shit this time I guess?

brau

"Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it" is far from confirming paid dlc

well... by now we should know that we need to take anything he says with a huge grain of salt. Him saying "possibly" could mean literally ANYTHING!

He didn't outright announce it, but come on.. He stated in an interview there would be no paid DLC. Then like a week later he backtracked on that comment saying not to rule out paid DLC. Wouldn't have said that if there weren't plans.

Again, read the actual quote

well... by now we should know that we need to take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.

sure, I get being cautious of taking anything he says at face value, but mistrust != confirmation. There is a lot of stuff to hold against NMS without reaching

How surprising, given the hours you devoted to your 'refund crusade'...

batman-crying.gif

Alebrije

I wonder if people point of view about indie games before and after NMS is different, if there was some kind of damage for indie developers caused by Sean's lies and the game going downhill, also his silent mode after game relwase.

I wonder if people point of view about indie games before and after NMS is different, if there was some kind of damage for indie developers caused by Sean's lies and the game going downhill, also his silent mode after game relwase.
I wonder if the people whose opinions about that would be changed even realise that NMS is an indie game

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Exactly that it doesn't exist. So judging its performance from "trends" is ludicrous. There is no other game that has these factors of indie, singleplayer, $60, and high peak launch on it.
The indie tag has little meaning in this case, given the insane amount of marketing they got from Sony, and the well-established success of indie games on the PC platform. You are just using it as an excuse.

The way this game is constructed, it should hold its audience like Civilization or any other similar single player game with a theoretically endless amount of gameplay. It hasn't.

Grief.exe

He didn't outright announce it, but come on.. He stated in an interview there would be no paid DLC. Then like a week later he backtracked on that comment saying not to rule out paid DLC. Wouldn't have said that if there weren't plans. This is exactly why NMS is such a mess. His half assed answers to questions and complete lies. His paid DLC remarks are just another example of this.

But at the same time, at least he tried to correct his false statements here even if it was in a half assed not outright way. Props to Sean for kind of seeing he was full of shit this time I guess?

This is why you need a PR company period. Companies need to put someone in charge of dealing with the press, only tells them what is guaranteed for the game, and have him dodge anything that isn't 110% confirmed.

Let this be a huge lesson to game developers, the public perception of this game is in large part due to the way the PR was handled.

Akoi

Maybe a sale or two might help it out this fall or winter but it's not the game we thought it was, I got bored of it after the 2nd week.

All this drama could have been avoided with a $20 dollar price tag. Hopefully when it hits that price (or lower) they'll have made it into something worth your time and I can get it.

Not really. The complete loss of consumer trust will hurt them significantly in the long term.

Only if they continue as an indie outfit.

They could close down and everyone could get new jobs in the industry and nobody would be the wiser.

And that's only if they want to work, which clearly they don't have to anymore.

WaterAstro

The indie tag has little meaning in this case, given the insane amount of marketing they got from Sony, and the well-established success of indie games on the PC platform. You are just using it as an excuse.

The way this game is constructed, it should hold its audience like Civilization or any other similar single player game with a theoretically endless amount of gameplay. It hasn't.

Those two factors have nothing to do with a game being indie. No Man's Sky is a self-published game, therefore it's an indie game.

Reckheim

The game likely sold 3m copies at $60 each.

That's $180m in revenue...
-$54m in platform fees
-$10m in development costs
-$40m in taxes
...leaving $72m in net profit.**

**Very, very rough approximation.

If Sean Murray owns even 20% of Hello Games, he just put $15m in his bank account.

There will be no justice here. There will be no accountability.

There will just be a charmingly shy millionaire con man who never has to work another day in his life.

Thank you for this, I almost started feeling bad for Sean.

Schlorgan

Those two factors have nothing to do with a game being indie. No Man's Sky is a self-published game, therefore it's an indie game.

"No Mans Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios, We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release programme as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform."

– Fergal Gara, Director of Playstation UK

http://wccftech.com/mans-sky-sonys-full-support/

Top Bottom